[AlphaRev] Public release S-OFF HTC Desire GSM

Guest IEFtm

Guest removed-14

On the alpharev website it says:

Requirements:

The only requirement right now is that the ROM you're running is rooted.

But how can I do this without using alpharev and the perhaps VISIONary? Or am I being a tool?

On the alpharev website it says:

But how can I do this without using alpharev and the perhaps VISIONary? Or am I being a tool?

alpharev enables nand readwrite for /system in normal phone operation (without being in recovery), and resizing data/system/cache partitions (all in NAND)

root is needed for alapharev but alpharev is not needed for root (but root alone doesn't give full root as in writing to /system therefor alpharev)

root allow executing programms, scripts as user root (similar administrator on windows), and writing to root owned files

(visionary is for desire HD models to root, not for desire)

Guest removed-14
alpharev enables nand readwrite for /system in normal phone operation (without being in recovery), and resizing data/system/cache partitions (all in NAND)

root is needed for alapharev but alpharev is not needed for root (but root alone doesn't give full root as in writing to /system therefor alpharev)

root allow executing programms, scripts as user root (similar administrator on windows), and writing to root owned files

(visionary is for desire HD models to root, not for desire)

Ok so how do I get root on my Desire in preparation for using alpharev?

I've tried unrevoked, it didn't work.

Did you use the drivers they have on their faq page?

Did you remove HTC sync if you have it?

What OS are you using to flash it?

Guest removed-14
Did you connected your phone to PC? :P

Lol, of course!

Did you use the drivers they have on their faq page?

Did you remove HTC sync if you have it?

What OS are you using to flash it?

It was a few weeks ago since I tried. Ill give it another go a post back.

Guest removed-14
It was a few weeks ago since I tried. Ill give it another go a post back.

Just ran it again and it has worked. I'm guessing once I reboot ill lose root access? So long as I use AlphaRev before I reboot Ill be ok?

Guest removed-14
No. You'll keep root untill you either flash an unrooted rom, over the air update or an RUU.

Ok dokey. So if I want to change my ROM then ill need AlphaRev?

I honestly just want Titanium Backup to work but now BusyBox wont install... whatever that is?!

Ok dokey. So if I want to change my ROM then ill need AlphaRev?

I honestly just want Titanium Backup to work but now BusyBox wont install... whatever that is?!

No. You don't need AlphaRev's S-OFF. All you need for Titanium is a rooted phone (unrevoked3) and BB (BusyBox).

I suggest that you open another topic because this has nothing to do with S-Off and you'll get more support.

Guest removed-14
No. You don't need AlphaRev's S-OFF. All you need for Titanium is a rooted phone (unrevoked3) and BB (BusyBox).

I suggest that you open another topic because this has nothing to do with S-Off and you'll get more support.

Cheers, ill do that.

Hi guys, can someone tell me how to find out if a have a gsm desire or a cdma one???? Also which file should i get? I'm running pauls wip r9 custom baked, with sub501's custom kernel, init, and bash installed! Cheers!!!

Lol nice one on the sarcastic link, hehe!!! Seriously!! But i already know the difference between gsm and cdma BUT surely all devices as new as a HTC desire support 3G and hsdpa??? Making them all CDMA???? Maybe i'm being thick i dunno thats why i asked :shrugs:

Thanks for the help tho!!!

EDIT: OMG Just read the link I'm soooooooooo........ misinformed

EDIT2: OOO yeah it worked, thanks bpivk!!!

Edited by rudgey

• 1 month later...
Guest Asselberghs

Okay I´ve skimmed through it all and hasen´t spotted any answer to this question.

Is there anyway to secure one self against failure? is a full backup from ones recovery image enough of a security to revert to a working phone should Alpharev fail?

Is there anyway to S-ON the phone if one feels it gets to dangerous? I am not to keen on touching ruu´s I´ll only be jumping custom roms if I can. At the moment my phone is rooted running PSFreedom recovery image.

I think I´m a bit scared of bricking the device.

Kind Regards

Asselberghs

I don't know of a case when S-OFF bricked a phone.

You can only S-ON again if you flash another hboot. Usually with an official RUU.

I think that S-OFF has less chance for bricking your device than rooting. Mainly because it's run from a live cd and doesn't need any input from the user.

Guest Asselberghs

Okay I took a leap of faith and S-OFFed my phone.

No errors occured and it said it was successful.

I´ve now got the joker as my splash, and in the boot menu where you can see Hboot version and such I can see Alpharev S-OFF.

So all should be good and well.

But for some reason it isen´t.

I wanted to S-OFF because I want full control of my phone, and I want to delete something that I coulden´t before.

I´ve got the following Launchers:

Go Launcher

HTC Sense

Android 2.2 stock Launcher

and Android 2.3 Launcher provided by Paul.

I want to delete Android 2.2 launcher and simply have it "replaced" by Pauls 2.3 port.

Before IIRC I coulden´t delete the 2.2 launcher. Now it seemed I can. But it isen´t removed from the "complete action using" list, the way I switch homescreens.

And it seems to return upon reboot. Shoulden´t I be able to delete it, having S-OFFed and all?

Kind Regards

Nick

P.S.

I am not trying to hijack the thread but I feel my problem maybe more at home here than a seperate thread as it is S-OFF related and related to this method of S-OFF.

Edit:

I managed to delete it via fast uninstaller, but coulden´t by simply deleting the apk via root explorer. So I was never meant to be able to just delete the apk to delete it or? would I´ve been able to delete it via fast uninstaller all the while? bit confused now. Is it working or ?

Edited by Asselberghs

Hboot is changed so it's working. You can try if it works by using root explorer and removing something nonessential from /system/app/ like stk.apk (sim toolkit) or something similar. Create a backup first (copy the file somewhere), remove the apk and reboot the phone. If it works then it's ok and you can move the file back in.

Maybe there's a simpler way to check it but I used the method I've described (I removed maps because I don't need them).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Diggedy

Can anyone point me in the direction of a HTC rom (sense not critical) that fits on the Bravo-sense parition table. I want to do away with a2sd and use the nand for my apps and I need a HTC rom as these have the best bluetooth connectivity in my experience which is critical to me.

Ive tried making one myself but I can make it fit on 180mb system partition

• 1 month later...
Guest Vistrix

Is it possible to S-OFF with a phone that cant boot up? e.g. it has a corrupted rom (boots into black screen), but has access to bootloader.