WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

ok, I see this wifi issue still seems to be ongoing. I was looking around my filesystem on the SF and came across this:

In \Phone Memory\system\etc\firmware\wlan\ there are 3 files, cfg.dat, qcom_fw.bin and qcom_nv.bin.

I donwloaded cfg.dat and looked inside and this is what i found:

# This file allows user to override the factory

# defaults for the WLAN Driver

# Enable IMPS or not

gEnableImps=0

# Enable BMPS or not

gEnableBmps=0

# Enable OS suspend or not

gEnableSuspend=0

# Phy Mode (auto, b, g, n, etc)

gDot11Mode=0

# Handoff Enable(1) Disable(0)

gEnableHandoff=0

# CSR Roaming Enable(1) Disable(0)

gRoamingTime=0

# WMM mode: Auto(0) or QBSS(1) or No-QoS(2)

WmmMode=0

# STA MAC Address - This will be used until NV items are in place

# Each byte of MAC address is represented in Hex format as XX

gStaMacAddr=000AF58989FF

# UAPSD service interval for VO,VI, BE, BK traffic

InfraUapsdVoSrvIntv=0

InfraUapsdViSrvIntv=0

InfraUapsdBeSrvIntv=0

InfraUapsdBkSrvIntv=0

END

# Note: Configuration parser would not read anything past the END marker.

Hoping some android guru on here can tell us whether changing anything in here may help. I was especially interested in:

gEnableSuspend=0

and,

gEnableHandoff=0

Any ideas anyone ?

Edited by xzyk

Guest mrchris
Unfortunately this one is still not working for me - is driving me mad as well! Has this worked for everyone else on here?

Not worked for me either! For that matter, none of the 'fixes' mentioned have, but will keep trying!!

After trying various purpose built apps (wifi re-enabler, wifi fixer), I've found Tasker works best for me. Wifi fixer seemed to cause crashes, and re-enabler was better but didnt work nicely with y5 battery saver.

My tasker profile is set like this:

Context -

Event: Display on

Task -

If %cyclingwifi != 1

set %cyclingwifi = 1

wifi off

wifi on

clear %cyclingwifi

end if

the cyclingwifi variable is just to prevent two cycles running concurrently.

hope this helps someone..

Guest mike557

Interestingly mylock did work for me on both R3 Modaco and R4 orangenated. It also had the side effect that the front buttons powered the phone on which was great.

After some battery issues (not related to mylock), I decided to do a complete reset of the phone (Privacy | Factory data reset) and wiped the dalvic and cache (clockworkmod) before re-installing orangenated.

Now wifi works with NO controlling apps installed and the front buttons are also working.

My SF now does everything that I wanted with low battery usage :) :)

Guest oh!dougal
ok, I see this wifi issue still seems to be ongoing. I was looking around my filesystem on the SF and came across this:

In \Phone Memory\system\etc\firmware\wlan\ there are 3 files, cfg.dat, qcom_fw.bin and qcom_nv.bin.

I donwloaded cfg.dat and looked inside and this is what i found:

# This file allows user to override the factory

# defaults for the WLAN Driver

< ... >

END

# Note: Configuration parser would not read anything past the END marker.

Hoping some android guru on here can tell us whether changing anything in here may help. I was especially interested in:

gEnableSuspend=0

and,

gEnableHandoff=0

Any ideas anyone ?

The gEnableSuspend variable sounds as though it *ought* to be involved!

Whether or not it actually is involved might be worth checking.

Does it ever change (from 0 presumably to 1) ?? The phone seems to be 'suspend-ing' wifi when the screen sleeps when on battery power, but not suspending wifi while attached to a charger. Does the phone ever change the value of that variable? (Whether due to either charging or due to User Settings change.)

"handoff" sounds like passing from one wifi network to another automagically, which also ought to help the SF (if the driver, OS, etc can do it). "CSR Roaming" might be involved with that as well. I believe it has to do with security 'certificates'.

Guest jimmy2x2x

I haven't read the entire thread, so apologies if this has already been posted.

I found this one HUKD, and it seems to be working for me:

I THINK i have found a solution to the wifi not coming back on after stand-by. it seemed to work for me atleast. Wouldn't hurt to try it anyway. Go to Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Wi-Fi settings, press the Menu button and go to Advanced. Once there, set up a static IP address.

The best way to setup the static IP address would be to use the same details which your computer uses, with the exception of the IP itself.

Windows XP

(I haven't used XP in a while so I may be incorrect)

Go to Start -> Network Connections -> View All Connections.

OR

Go to Start -> Control Panel and locate Network Connections.

Windows 7

To find the details on Windows 7, go to the Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center and click Change adapter settings in the left panel.

Mac

I've never used a Mac so someone else will have to provide those instructions if this turns out to work.

All

Then click the icon you see there (There may be more, depending on your computer but usually only 1 of them will be active). In the new window, click on the Details button which will provide a window with the details of that connection.

Note down the IP/IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway. Now on your phone, tick the Use static IP option and then input an IP address which is not used on your network (Noting down the IP just is to ensure you don't use the same IP). Enter the gateway into the field, the same as on your computer. And enter the Subnet Mask into the Netmask field on your phone. For DNS 1 on your phone, enter the the Gateway value.

Changing the Wi-Fi sleep poilcy to Never should help aswell.

Now click Menu and then choose Save.

Let me know if this works/doesn't work!

HUKD Source

Edited by jimmy2x2x

Would this prevent the SF from logging onto free wifi spots when out & about? Could you get the same effect by telling your router to allocate the SF the same IP address each time based on its MAC address?

Guest Nick Rhodes
After some battery issues (not related to mylock), I decided to do a complete reset of the phone (Privacy | Factory data reset) and wiped the dalvic and cache (clockworkmod) before re-installing orangenated.

Now wifi works with NO controlling apps installed and the front buttons are also working.

Just done a factory reset, and wiped the dalvic cache, reinstalled and the problem has reoccurred within 30 minutes for me :)

If I goto the wireless network in the settings it has the failed to connect, click to try again.

I am using the default settings, which means Wifi should turn off when the screen sleeps (because 3g is far more efficient at idle). Just does not appear to try/retry when I wake the phone up.

Cheers, Nick

Guest oh!dougal
... I decided to do a complete reset of the phone (Privacy | Factory data reset) and wiped the dalvic and cache (clockworkmod) before re-installing orangenated.

I think Mike557 is running Sebastian404's DEorangeated rom.

And WiFi seems to be behaving.

Just done a factory reset, and wiped the dalvic cache, reinstalled and the problem has reoccurred within 30 minutes for me :)

And Nick - did you reinstall a Modaco rom?

Would it be an idea for you to try Sebastian's and (utterly regardless of anything else) just see whether or not that makes WiFi behave better?

Guest mike557

Would it be an idea for you to try Sebastian's and (utterly regardless of anything else) just see whether or not that makes WiFi behave better?

Yes I am using Sebastian404's rom

It is working perfectly.

For me this suggests that the problem is not associated with the router.

The wifi sleep policy is set to turn off when screen turns off.

When turning on via the front switch, I do not see any change in the status bar - the wifi icon is always there and does not re-appear which I would have expected. Dont know if this is the correct action or not.

HTH

Mike

None of these seem to work for me. As several users above have said - its definitely a power save issue - as is fine when plugged in. If only the option did what it said - which was to never switch off the wifi.

But i'd take the battery loss to have my wifi connected all the time (so that it doesnt choose 3g).

I may have got this all wrong (as a noob) but i wanted it to work like a blackberry with regard to email (only via the wifi when at home) so that it alerted me every time an email came through (much like a text message). But if it keeps going to sleep then its really annoying as i have to reconnect it - and then check for emails manually (as its just set to check every 5 minutes - didnt seem to have a "push" setting).

will keep trying things - but not holding out much hope....

Guest LorianNod

I'm using seb's r4 deorange and I have the issue too. So far I have tried two routers and get the same issue with the SF not reconnecting to the router when awaking from sleep. Stopping and starting wifi manually on the SF and it connects straight away.

Used to work all the time on the pulse.

seems we're not the only phone experiencing this problem

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/andr...3a2fb&hl=en

Apparantly the fix is coming... (but this doesn't mean anything to me!)

"There is a fix for this in the driver level for the Broadcom chipset. Google has not yet pushed out the update, but it will be fixed soon, just FYI."

It's just one of those things that winds me up disproportionately. It's not that big a deal - but really getting to me..... :P

Guest m_w_clarke

Up until 3 days ago I had not experienced this problem at all - although I was tracking it on this forum.

However, from 3 days ago I now suffer from this problem most of the time. Its been driving me nuts! Im glad that I havent suffered as much as other on here from day one (ive had the SF for 2 weeks now)). Nothing changed in this time. No new ROMS. No new apps.

However, like I said, in this 3 days ive been going crazy, but I *think* I have found a solution that works for me at least.

Ive got "WifiReneabler" and "Wi-fi keep alive" from the Market.

Reenabler I've set to "Auto Re-Assciate" SIC

Wi-fi keep alive I've set to "always on" and "Enable Workaround 1 and 2" in the advanced options.

Nothing else seemed to do the job - but this has fixed the issue for the past day at least.

I just wanted to pass on this info in case others might find it useful.

Cheers,

Thanks for this M_w_clarke

just downloading these now- the auto reenabler is being a bit slow to download - but hoping this will fix my probs!

update - not working for me - i get a icon come up - whcih says - wifi alive - get all excited - but then it drops and i get the error message saying wifi not connected! back to the drawing board!!

Edited by vik1

Guest m_w_clarke
Thanks for this M_w_clarke

just downloading these now- the auto reenabler is being a bit slow to download - but hoping this will fix my probs!

update - not working for me - i get a icon come up - whcih says - wifi alive - get all excited - but then it drops and i get the error message saying wifi not connected! back to the drawing board!!

Have you tired the other workarounds in Wifi keep alive? Like having it ping the server every 10 seconds (work around 3?)

Cheers,

Guest LorianNod

I noticed on my blade (sebr4) when it awakes from sleep it does think it's tried to reconnect, as in the wifi status on the blade says "connetion unsuccessful touch to try again".

Googling this phrase returns a bucket load of hits :P

I took a look at my router's syslog while the phone is awakening, and there is no new handshake for WPA/PSK at this time, I need to read the logs more carefully, but there appears to be no log entries at all relating to the blade at the time.

Touching does of course instantly reconnect.

Guest Nick Rhodes

Problem I was having was that my phone was finding my wireless network OK, just failing to connect to it.

I went did another reset and wipe and tried Sebastia'ns ROM (was using Paul's Modaco ROM before).

And I ran it for 24 hours, WiFi was much improved (stayed connected most of the time, reconnected after sleep all but once) and also battery life loads better. Phone woke up from its nights sleep and reconnected no problem, which it had struggled with in the past.

Yesterday I wiped and reset and went back to Paul's ROM and have left my phone for 24 hours and WiFi and battery life just as good as with Sebastian's ROM.

One thing I should of done was check the Wireless connections on my router before all this and check if WiFi really was sleeping when it should and shouldn't, as currently it is behaving correctly.

I have a hunch that the reset and wipe does help.

Cheers, Nick.

Ive got "WifiReneabler" and "Wi-fi keep alive" from the Market.

Reenabler I've set to "Auto Re-Assciate" SIC

Wi-fi keep alive I've set to "always on" and "Enable Workaround 1 and 2" in the advanced options.

You don't need both of those apps, just Wi-fi Auto Re-enabler, set to 'Disconnect then reconnect' instead of the default option. I've been running it for 10 days now and it's almost flawless. The only small issue I have is that it doesn't seem to run itself on startup, so if you turn off or reset your phone you must start it again.

Guest m_w_clarke
You don't need both of those apps, just Wi-fi Auto Re-enabler, set to 'Disconnect then reconnect' instead of the default option. I've been running it for 10 days now and it's almost flawless. The only small issue I have is that it doesn't seem to run itself on startup, so if you turn off or reset your phone you must start it again.

The thing I thought about with the "reconnect" option is by the time you wake your phone up, has it already lost the connection and is just re-establishing it then?

I thought the wifi kepe alive option at least kep the wifi alive when your phone is asleep.

So maybe the enabler isnt necessary? But I guess a belt and braces approach works for me :-)

Oh, I agree, I wish I could auto start it! Anyone know how to?