WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

The thing I thought about with the "reconnect" option is by the time you wake your phone up, has it already lost the connection and is just re-establishing it then?

I thought the wifi kepe alive option at least kep the wifi alive when your phone is asleep.

My understanding of the issue from here and with the two devices I have access to, is that regardless of the wi-fi sleep policy setting on the phone, the wi-fi connection will be lost and not reconnect after the phone is asleep for a certain amount of time. The fact the wi-fi it goes to sleep is not a bad thing, as this will save a good deal of battery over it being connected all the time, the problem is merely that the phone fails to re-establish the connection again on wake. That's why 'disconnect then reconnect' on wake is so useful, because it is automatically doing what those of us with the issue otherwise need to do manually.

Guest m_w_clarke
My understanding of the issue from here and with the two devices I have access to, is that regardless of the wi-fi sleep policy setting on the phone, the wi-fi connection will be lost and not reconnect after the phone is asleep for a certain amount of time. The fact the wi-fi it goes to sleep is not a bad thing, as this will save a good deal of battery over it being connected all the time, the problem is merely that the phone fails to re-establish the connection again on wake. That's why 'disconnect then reconnect' on wake is so useful, because it is automatically doing what those of us with the issue otherwise need to do manually.

But isnt the idea that no matter how deep a sleep the phone goes into, you want the wifi still connected (to receive emails etc). This is why I think wifi keep alive is good idea, becuase it has several workarounds, one being that it keeps pinging the sevrer whilst the phone is asleep to keep the connection alive.

I admit this may have an impact on battery, but nothing I have noticed.

Guest oh!dougal
My understanding of the issue from here and with the two devices I have access to, is that regardless of the wi-fi sleep policy setting on the phone, the wi-fi connection will be lost and not reconnect after the phone is asleep for a certain amount of time. ...
Not quite.

Running from battery, wifi shuts down with the screen, disregarding the 'wifi never sleep' setting.

If its on charge when it goes to sleep, that setting seems to be obeyed.

The occasional reconnection difficulty on waking does not seem to be sleep-time-dependant.

It might be rom-dependant or router-dependant. Or a bug in the phone's standard software, which may surface more often with certain routers and/or roms.

I suspect that it has much to do with the phone's state when it goes into sleep and things like mobile data availability on wake.

Quite apart from not auto-searching (on wake) for known newly-available networks and auto-connecting to the best (as on wifi switch on), the phone's wifi does occasionally get itself confused.

Whatever prompts it, it IS the phone (not the router) that ends up confused.

I have seen the following situation:

- wifi not working on waking from sleep

- wifi strength display shows one bar (the dot) despite being less than 1 metre from my router

- the wifi Settings panel shows "Connected" instead of the usual "Connected to TheNameOfTheNetwork"

- and below that the list of available plus known networks is empty.

Turning wifi off and then on, restored the list and connected happily.

But isnt the idea that no matter how deep a sleep the phone goes into, you want the wifi still connected (to receive emails etc).
If so, you'd want to select the 'wifi never sleep' option, and have the phone follow your instruction -- disobeying that instruction is clearly a quirk of the phone that should be addressed.
This is why I think wifi keep alive is good idea, becuase it has several workarounds, one being that it keeps pinging the sevrer whilst the phone is asleep to keep the connection alive.
Unfortunately, this assumes that wifi is shutting down because of inactivity - and that simply ain't the case for the SF. Barnacle (the phone being a wifi base station) stops instantly on screen sleep when on battery power. Wifi sleeping BECAUSE of wifi inactivity might be someone else's problem with a different phone, but it doesn't seem to be what happens with the SF.

This is a problem with the phone. The keep alive suggested by MW clarke didnt work for me unfortunately.

Pab Uk - thank you - your setting kind of works for me (around 50% of the time).

I would have loved to have it like a blackberry so that when an email comes through it alerts me (like it would for a text - but that seems a no go (for me at least - and i know if i wanted a blackberry so bad - maybe i should have got one!)

given that the nexus was fixed eventually - does that mean that we'd get a fix too (no idea what broadcom drivers mean).

The fault is pretty simple - as ohdougal says - it just needs to obey its own setting of never switching wifi off - it can do this if you leave it plugged in - so should be able to if not plugged in.

I'm a complete non techhy - but i reckon the power save settings are taking priority over the wifi settings - all we need to do is change that priority.

now - how you would do that - is it a rom, is it froyo - that's where i'm out of my depth!!

Guest m_w_clarke
Running from battery, wifi shuts down with the screen, disregarding the 'wifi never sleep' setting.

Barnacle (the phone being a wifi base station) stops instantly on screen sleep when on battery power. Wifi sleeping BECAUSE of wifi inactivity might be someone else's problem with a different phone, but it doesn't seem to be what happens with the SF.

Not the case with me. Barnacle has NEVER lost a connection with me. And this is with me setting it up, and letting it drift off to sleep for around half an hour at least.

This is so weird....

Im happy to say that the bodge/fix (you decide!) of wifi keep alive and reenabler are still working for me.

But im not going to mention it anymore - as it may well jinx it!

Guest beebaakid

Total noob, but here goes anyway, I solved my wifi being cut out when the phone went to sleep by manually assigning a static ip address to it in my router settings, I didnt touch any settings on the phone, the static ip in the phone settings is left unticked and sleep is set to never, my router is wireless n wpa2, since doing this the phone goes to sleep and picks up my emails when asleep from my wifi connection, my san fran has been like this for a week, for me the problem lay with the router not the phone.This is unplugged from charger.

Edited by beebaakid

Guest oh!dougal
Not the case with me. Barnacle has NEVER lost a connection with me. And this is with me setting it up, and letting it drift off to sleep for around half an hour at least.

This is so weird....

With the charger/usb not connected?

Total noob, but here goes anyway, I solved my wifi being cut out when the phone went to sleep by manually assigning a static ip address to it in my router settings, I didnt touch any settings on the phone, the static ip in the phone settings is left unticked and sleep is set to never, my router is wireless n wpa2, since doing this the phone goes to sleep and picks up my emails when asleep from my wifi connection, my san fran has been like this for a week, for me the problem lay with the router not the phone.

Thanks for posting! - do you have any guidance on how i do this - went into my routers settings but couldnt work out how to try this

Also - will it cause any probs with synchign to other devices with wireless (like another phone, laptop etc)

Edited by vik1

Guest beebaakid
Thanks for posting! - do you have any guidance on how i do this - went into my routers settings but couldnt work out how to try this

Also - will it cause any probs with synchign to other devices with wireless (like another phone, laptop etc)

I have a talktalk router it was in the dhcp section, I had the option of manually assigning a static address to the phones mac address(this can be found on the phone, wifi settings > advanced, I cant see this causing problems with anything else as you are assigning a static ip to a specific device's mac address.

It worked for me and I tried most things in this thread.

I've got two SFs in my household.

Both initially had issues with keeping wifi connectivity on sleep. So I tried various Apps to help out and eventually I got one of the phones to always stayed connected. The strange thing was even though I had (actually I hadn't) the same setup on the other phone, wifi wouldn't stay connected on sleep.

So now I've sussed it...

(1) Wi-Fi Keep Alive App with Always On set and Workaround 1 and 2 enabled

(2) Under the Android Wi-Fi Advanced settings, Wi-Fi sleep policy must be 'When Screen turns off'

It's step 2 that was different between the phones. The one that didn't work had it set as 'Never'...

Let me know how you all get on... hope it sorts out your issues

Edited by ri4z

I have a talktalk router it was in the dhcp section, I had the option of manually assigning a static address to the phones mac address(this can be found on the phone, wifi settings > advanced, I cant see this causing problems with anything else as you are assigning a static ip to a specific device's mac address.

It worked for me and I tried most things in this thread.

Tried this on a talk talk N router, Did not work for me!

No problem assigning the San Fran a static IP. Just loses connection on sleep.

:P

Guest LorianNod

Neither adding a static IP address on the phone nor by a permanant association in DHCP fixed the issue for me.

Now trying RI4Z's workaround...

Edited by LorianNod

tried the static add on router too - and that didnt work for me either

riaz's method has just shown some promise - got a email notification through even though phone was sleep - just the noise - screen stayed off. - so fingers crossed (and thanks)

although - many of these work arounds have worked for me sometimes - and i always get my hopes up. hopefully this one will stick!! will report back in a couple of days

Guest Just Wondering

Hi , i seem to of fixed the problem for me anyhow.....

basically , i have installed "maildroid" from the marketplace , its a excellent free mail client that i highly reccomend for people to use.

when you go into its preferences

scroll down to advance

choose :- sleep mode

i set this to "prevent sleep mode" this never turns off the cpu.

there is another option for it to come alive every 15mins , this may also work but i've not had chance to yet test.

i hope this helps.

p.s can i ask a question i'm a android noob , how do i use the wierd graphic block for installing stuff , its like a large block of bar code that is often seen next to the install options on webpages for downloading apps...i'm not even sure what its called , i assume i use my camera on it some how ??!? i'm really not sure.

p.s can i ask a question i'm a android noob , how do i use the wierd graphic block for installing stuff , its like a large block of bar code that is often seen next to the install options on webpages for downloading apps...i'm not even sure what its called , i assume i use my camera on it some how ??!? i'm really not sure.

These are Data Matrix and/or QR Codes. You need an appropriate reader app - most popular seems to be Barcode Scanner.

Guest Just Wondering
These are Data Matrix and/or QR Codes. You need an appropriate reader app - most popular seems to be Barcode Scanner.

thank you , so i presume i would use my camera to scan the code ?

Guest Acathla-

Just to add more information to the issue - this does now look like (for me) it's more router specific than actual phone specific. It was talked about before that it might be routers that don't fully support WiFi Sleep mode. Basically, I was away for two days staying at a hotel and did not once have a 'hung' wifi problem. I get these every single sleep when at home. From what I could tell the hotel were using a Vigor2820 series ADSL router, which is no use for me on cable, but gives me something to work on.

If I have no 'keep alive' apps running and my wifi works when on that router then it's got to be router/firmware specific...

Guest oh!dougal
... this does now look like (for me) it's more router specific than actual phone specific. ... I was away for two days staying at a hotel and did not once have a 'hung' wifi problem. I get these every single sleep when at home. From what I could tell the hotel were using a Vigor2820 series ADSL router...

If I have no 'keep alive' apps running ...

Did you change any other settings while at the hotel? (Like turning off 'mobile data'?)

Since your phone is routinely failing to reconnect, could you check what the phone's wifi status thinks it is? A homescreen shortcut will take you with a single tap to "WiFi Settings".

Is it "Connected" but ummm not to any network? (Under "Wi-Fi" (top of the screen), it normally says "Connected to MyHomeNetwork" or somesuch.) Is the list of WiFi networks (on that same screen) empty?

On that screen, you can then turn WiFi off, and on again, whereupon that screen might change ...

I'd like to see it firmly established what the "Failed" condition looks like. (Or whether there are different ones!)

Guest Acathla-

Nothing was changed on the phone. Except obviously adding the new WiFi network.

Before screen going to sleep WiFi is 'Connected'

Screen goes off

Screen comes back on and WiFi states 'Disconnected' (this is against my SSID which it has remembered)

I guess it then tries to reconnect and we get a 'Connection unsuccessful, touch to try again'

If I then click on my SSID and hit Connect it does connect again no bother.

I am using tasker at the moment to help me through this!

Edited by Acathla-

Guest oh!dougal
Before screen going to sleep WiFi is 'Connected'

Screen goes off

Screen comes back on and WiFi states 'Disconnected' (this is against my SSID which it has remembered)

So what is it saying in the top panel of the Wi-Fi settings screen where it normally says

"Connected to The AppropriateSSID"

The one and only time that my WiFi has "hung" - rather than trying (and failing) to connect to a network that is elsewhere - it just said "Connected" (though it wasn't) and the SSID list was empty.

THAT is the WiFi hanging, screwed up.

But it has only ever done that once.

Otherwise it has played nicely with my Netgear DG834G v3.

Failing to reconnect to a network that it can see perfectly well is a different problem.

Was yours doing this solidly before adding the hotel SSID to your list of remembered networks?

Would it help to now 'forget' the hotel network?

And maybe try out your home router set (for testing) to be 'g' only, rather than n, g and b.

My SF seems to want to reconnect to the WiFi it was using when it went to sleep. A tricky thing to do if you wake up somewhere different! The antique Mac laptop happily uses whichever of its known networks it wakes up in.

We need to establish what the problems actually are!

Guest Acathla-

Ok. There are clearly a few issues going round here and I'm now confused as to who has what.

MY issue seems to be WiFi not reconnecting after a sleep. There is also obviously some people who have their WiFi connected but it seems to have hung.

I've taken some screenshots and am posting them below.

1. I run a continuous ping to my phone's ip

2. WiFi Connected and working: http://db.tt/R2DOk95

3. WiFi Settings: http://db.tt/lhta1o5 (Note ethros is my SSID. Lymehurst is the hotel network I mentioned before. I also have a second wifi network ethros_alt which the phone does not know about and is not in this screenshot).

4. Switch screen off (Power button) and wait until my ping moves from Request Timed Out to Destination Net Unreachable

5. Screen back on and for about 1 second, WiFi settings show connected (but low signal): http://db.tt/fpcnK2A

6. WiFi settings now move to Disconnected: http://db.tt/gwC2deE

7. WiFi state sits like this and never tries to reconnect :P

Turning WiFi off then on again lets me reconnect or if I click on ethros then hit Connect it will connect fine.

For completion sake: Stock ROM rooted.

Edited by Acathla-

Guest JolyonS
Ok. There are clearly a few issues going round here and I'm now confused as to who has what.

MY issue seems to be WiFi not reconnecting after a sleep.

Mine too. Wifi off then on again and all is well but I want my newspaper downloaded by the time I wake up.

Guest Just Wondering
Mine too. Wifi off then on again and all is well but I want my newspaper downloaded by the time I wake up.

why not try my fix , as detailed furthur up the thread , it works 100 % for me

Guest JolyonS
why not try my fix , as detailed furthur up the thread , it works 100 % for me

Because I don't want to install a new mail client (however wonderul and highly recommended) and prevent my phone from sleeping thereby wasting battery just in order to save having to press a few buttons while I'm eating my toast.

It's a workaround more than a fix and although I'm pleased it's working for you and thank you for sharing your findings with us I'll wait for a 'proper' fix.