WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest oh!dougal

MY issue seems to be WiFi not reconnecting after a sleep. There is also obviously some people who have their WiFi connected but it seems to have hung.

5. Screen back on and for about 1 second, WiFi settings show connected (but low signal): http://db.tt/fpcnK2A

Turning WiFi off then on again lets me reconnect or if I click on ethros then hit Connect it will connect fine.

For completion sake: Stock ROM rooted.

AHA - note that in the top line it just says "Connected" and not "Connected to ethros" as it does in your first pic -- AND -- that you have the same one bar (just the dot) of reported signal strength that I spoke of upthread?

The one time mine 'hung' and needed wifi off/on treatment, this was where it stopped (though with an empty network list).

Same problem, different consequence.

I note that you have "Mobile Data: On" (and that it has successfully failed across to 3G), and also that you have "Scan for Open Networks" set.

Since yours has been 'reliably' failing to reconnect, care to change those settings to see if it makes any difference?

I'm feeling that its something like a timing issue, with the way WiFi and 3G come up and the phone is trying to decide which to use ... Now the various response times likely would vary between routers (especially if it has to work out what protocol (n/g) is being used.

The amount of other stuff that the phone has to deal with would vary from rom to rom and user to user, so the phone's response timing will vary.

Stock rom, unlocked only - for now.

Guest oh!dougal
,,, Wifi off then on again and all is well but I want my newspaper downloaded by the time I wake up.

Your problem is easily solved!

Set WiFi sleep: never ... and, with the phone screen awake and WiFi happy, connect it to the charger overnight.

WiFi should stay on, and you start the day with a full battery.

Guest Acathla-
I note that you have "Mobile Data: On" (and that it has successfully failed across to 3G), and also that you have "Scan for Open Networks" set.

Since yours has been 'reliably' failing to reconnect, care to change those settings to see if it makes any difference?

First test with Mobile Data: ON and Scan for Networks: OFF - Same Situation, WiFi Stays Disconnected

Second test with Mobile Data: OFF and Scan for Networks: ON - Same Situation, WiFi Stays Disconnected

Third test with Mobile Data:OFF and Scan for Networks: OFF - Unfortunately Same, WiFi Stays Disconnected

One thing I will note whilst doing this, it is not a 100% certainty that WiFi will stay disconnected. It seems to happen the majority of the time but the odd occasion it does connect up again successfully which annoys me (not that its working - more of the inconsistency).

Anyway, neither option seem to have an impact :P

Guest JolyonS
Your problem is easily solved!

Set WiFi sleep: never ... and, with the phone screen awake and WiFi happy, connect it to the charger overnight.

WiFi should stay on, and you start the day with a full battery.

This is certainly one option.

I'll probably use locale and a scheduler to wake the phone, reconnect the wifi and download what I want each morning - it would be nice to have a proper crontab.

Guest oh!dougal

Sorry, confused by your wording "stays disconnected".

Each time, was it connected to WiFi before being put to sleep?

I've previously noted that the SF isn't smart about looking to MAKE wifi connections on waking. The best it seems to do is to ressurrect the last connection.

I was wondering whether your setup might stay connected better after sleep, if it was ONLY having the single job to do of re-establishing the connection it had when put to sleep. Without the complications of Mobile Data contending with wifi and wifi scanning for other networks.

Guest Acathla-

When I say Stays Disconnected I mean the WiFi goes into a disconnected state and remains there - ie doesn't connect to the network automatically.

WiFi was enabled and working prior to each sleep.

i am on the froyo alpha update, and my wifi is perfect, not disconnected even once! before using the froyo rom, i would get disconnected from my bt 2.0 router every 5 minutes!

maybe someone can have a look at the coding of the 2.2 rom and copy that to the 2.1 or something like that? or we could just wait for a final froyo release lol

I've been trialling this for a couple of days - and Ri4z's work around is so far working perfectly for me

(just to confirm - as this thread is getting confusing - my problem was wifi dropping when phone went to sleep, i was having to reconnect manually each time - or use an app to do it automatically for me. But basically meant that I wouldnt pick up emails when the screen was off. Now with Ri4z's settings - it works perfectly! (but only 2 days - so who knows if it'll stay!)

thanks ri4z

UPDATE - LOOKS LIKE I TEMPTED FATE - ITS BACK TO THE GOOD OLD WAYS AND NOT WORKING AGAIN! ITS DROPPING CONNECTION EVERYTIME IT SLEEPS EVEN THOUGH IT DIDNT FOR 2 DAYS! GRRRRRRRR

WILL WAIT FOR FROYO NOW - AND HOPE THAT FIXES IT - OR JUST GOING TO TRY AND CHANGE MY ATTITUDE TOWARDS IT AND DEEP BREATHS!

Edited by vik1

Guest amoebauk
I've got two SFs in my household.

Both initially had issues with keeping wifi connectivity on sleep. So I tried various Apps to help out and eventually I got one of the phones to always stayed connected. The strange thing was even though I had (actually I hadn't) the same setup on the other phone, wifi wouldn't stay connected on sleep.

So now I've sussed it...

(1) Wi-Fi Keep Alive App with Always On set and Workaround 1 and 2 enabled

(2) Under the Android Wi-Fi Advanced settings, Wi-Fi sleep policy must be 'When Screen turns off'

It's step 2 that was different between the phones. The one that didn't work had it set as 'Never'...

Let me know how you all get on... hope it sorts out your issues

Thanks Ri4z - this appears to be working for me.

Guest Danhandy
Works for me too, thanks.

Poor, poor battery!

Infact i just did this: (2) Under the Android Wi-Fi Advanced settings, Wi-Fi sleep policy must be 'When Screen turns off'

seems to have worked

Having problems too - mine slightly different from most on this thread (I've read em all!)

I'm using a BT homehub router - the black one. The SF can see the connection and when I type in the password I get 'obtaining IP address' and... nothing, just stays there.

Ironically, I can access the BT openzone open network, but hardly ideal. Doubly ironic, my sister has the same kind of router and it works fine when I'm with her.

Have successfully connected to a number of closed and open network, just not my own!!!

Also currently have an ipod, three computers, a wii and an xbox360 connected to this network, just not my flamin' SF... any help?!

Guest Kthulhu

Hi all, I also had problems to reconnect after phone went into sleep, even with Wi-Fi sleep policy : 'When Screen turns off'.

So I installed App "wififix"and improved a lot because the app forces wifi to turn on. Only poroblem is that the app some time crashes :P

Hope this help somebody and sorry if somebody mentioned before.

Guest m_w_clarke

ri4z's solution didn't work for me. After a re-boot I discovered that as the Android system had been set to "sleep when screen off" this overrode the wifi keep alive settings of "always on". If I went back into wifi alive, the setting had been reset to "sleep when screen off"! Argh!

I've now found a solution that works 100% for me - using wifi keep alive with "always on" and in advanced settings only selecting "workaround 3". I no longer use wifi-renable at all.

The andoird advanced wifi sleep settings are set to "always on"

This has now worked flawlessly for 48 hours with the phone always being connected to my wifi whenever I wake it up (this even after a couple of hours of it being asleep).

I haven't done enough testing yet to determine how it affects the battery life - but its not an obvious drop off.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Edited by m_w_clarke

Guest LouisUK

Hi guys, can anyone let me know how to uninstall mylock prefs? It seems to be causing havoc. I installed it with App Installer by cdroid themes, there doesnt seem to be an uninstall option.

Help!

Guest robot1000
Hi guys, can anyone let me know how to uninstall mylock prefs? It seems to be causing havoc. I installed it with App Installer by cdroid themes, there doesnt seem to be an uninstall option.

Help!

Have you got ADW Launcher or Launcherpro

If yes, just drag the icon from the apps draw and hold it over the recycle bin until 'uninstall shows'.

Guest Acathla-

If yes, just drag the icon from the apps draw and hold it over the recycle bin until 'uninstall shows'.

Else: Settings | Applications | Click on your app | Uninstall

Guest LouisUK

Else: Settings | Applications | Click on your app | Uninstall

Brilliant cheers buddy, worked a treat.

Hi guys i know there is likely no solution but posting anyway in the hopes.

I have read the entire thread and can report i have an issue with reconnecting to wifi once disconnected.

If i reboot my router it connects instantly and works perfectly. As soon as i disconnect or it disconnects itself it refuses to reconnect itself. It says it remembers my router but will just continually fail to connect until i reboot the router. I tried various wifi repairs from the market but they didn't work and have wifi sleep policy turned off.

I tried manually assigning an IP, have given the blade a host name and nothing seems to work.

I replaced my router with another and this appeared to cure the problem only for it to return sometime later and now it does the same thing :P The router is an entirely different make.

This makes wifi almost totally unusable for me and to cap it off, market downloads via wap seem to be hit and miss so this is becoming an issue.

I''ve rooted and using the R4 modaco rom but have tried stock with the same result. Anyone any suggestions at all ?

Edited by danz0l

OK after trying absolutely everything i got frustrated and installed the froyo alpha. Low and behold the wifi worked every single time so its good to know its fixed in the later rom.

Anyway what was weird was i deinstalled the rom and put back on modaco R4 ( deleting user data, caches, etc) and you know what ? My bloody wifi is only working perfectly since. I just can't understand it :)

Guest oh!dougal
OK after trying absolutely everything i got frustrated and installed the froyo alpha. Low and behold the wifi worked every single time so its good to know its fixed in the later rom.

Anyway what was weird was i deinstalled the rom and put back on modaco R4 ( deleting user data, caches, etc) and you know what ? My bloody wifi is only working perfectly since. I just can't understand it :)

I suppose its just about possible that it has applied a fix into local firmware in either the wifi module or a power management chip ...

Guest IronDoc

Does it still seem fine? When did you install r4?

Does it still seem fine? When did you install r4?

I installed R4 on the day i got the phone and had wifi issues every single time. I had to manually reboot the router each time once i dropped the wifi connect and no fixes resolved it. I then, the other day, installed the froyo alpha and was pleased to see that wifi worked perfectly. I could connect, drop, connect, drop as it should be. Obviously Froyo aplha has issues so i reverted back to modoca R4 and since then i've been able to drop and enable wifi at my leisure. Its working perfectly and has been for a number of days.

I don't know if froyo fixed it somehow but it seems a very strange coincidence that its now working on a vanilla R4 rom (with no wifi fix apps etc).

I'm having the wifi disconnection issues. My question is are all the phones suffering from it or just some examples. Just read this thread & I've tried all the workarounds but nothing seems to work on my phone. I'm still on stock rom as I just bought it yesterday so if its a fault I will return it for an exchange.