WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest Acathla-

I tried the Froyo Alpha ROM last night for about 10 minutes and my WiFi problem seemed to be resolved.

I went back to Stock for now as I would rather wait for a more stable 2.2 although I may go back depending on progress.

Guest lookdadnotunes

I'm new to this party (a total noob also), but I'm another that's suffered from the wifi issue. For me, it just wouldn't reconnect to my home network, required a reset for it to work. Tried the Froyo et al, but it didn't help at all. However, there is no problem whatsoever at work or at the McDonalds I've just visited, the wifi can connect and reconnect at will. My router (NetGear - a POS) has been a problem in the past, so I'm guessing for me it's the problem. I'll let you know when I use my spare router tonight. Apart from that, the phone (and this forum) have been great, cheers.

Guest booster22
I tried the Froyo Alpha ROM last night for about 10 minutes and my WiFi problem seemed to be resolved.

I went back to Stock for now as I would rather wait for a more stable 2.2 although I may go back depending on progress.

Yea im not going to rom my phone to get a better wifi signal, only to have a load of other trouble.

Ill wait a week or two see what developments come up, either a more stable Froyo rom or maybe another fix.

But as of yet theres no 100% fix for everyone, every fix only works for some.

Guest Carbonize

Yeah I'm hoping Paul or someone will release a stable Froyo rom at some point then maybe I will dump my GT540 for an SF. I can justify wasting £100 on an SF but she who must be obeyed would kill me if I bought a Desire like I want :|

Guest Carbonize

That solution wouldn't make a difference to me since my router is running DD-WRT and always assigns the same IP address to each device based on it's MAC address.

Guest lookdadnotunes
haha. So on the 4th sleep (and a longer one at that) - phone didn't reconnect after sleep.

Process doesn't help.

Back to tasker for now :)

Gah! How irritating is this! (Still working ok for me, mind)

Guest davidgilson

I've been following this thread for quite a while, I bought a San Francisco on the 15th of October, and accepted a replacement on the 25th of October, and I've had persistent problems with both phones. I also use a Netgear DG834Gv5 router. I get a lot of phones in and out of my house for review, and I've never experienced any WiFi issues with anything else.

So far, the Orange store I bought it from has refused to give me a refund, which I'm not too pleased about, and I'm sending a stern letter to the Everything Everywhere head office about it soon.

I just thought I'd add a couple of links of interest. Steve Litchfield (of "The Phones Show" fame) has just posted on his blog with a potential fix via settings, and it would be good to get some comments on his post as to whether this helps you. Click here.

Also, I've been blogging about my San Francisco woes, and I'm keen to get as many experiences from other people in the comments at my blog too (click here), as I've been in touch with @Conorfromorange via Twitter, so Orange are aware of my blog post. He has told me ZTE are investigating this and news will be forthcoming ASAP.

Edited by davidgilson

Guest Acathla-
Same for me. Still can't connect unless i reboot the router :)

I definitely seems to be helping with my issue - reconnecting to wifi after sleep.

I'll keep everyone updated with progress but so far I've replaced tasker with this 'workaround'

Guest m_w_clarke

Someone in the R4 posting section has created an Wifi App espceially for the Blade and posted in the Market.

Im not taking any credit for this; its this guys hardwork and skill that created it:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1463190

I must note, that I havent used this tool - but my wifi issues seem to have sorted them selves with using Wifi Keep alive workaround 3 and 4 (touch wood!)

Edited by m_w_clarke

Guest oh!dougal

Aren't 99% of these "fixes" just different methods of 'automagically' turning wifi off and on again when waking from sleep?

If turning the phone's wifi off and on again manually does not reconnect you, then you'd be daft to think that a script doing it for you could have a different effect.

I'd like to see much more detail from those few who CANNOT reconnect by manually turning wifi off and on at their phone.

That would seem to be associated with specific router behaviour.

So its important to document the issue precisely. Maybe a pattern will emerge.

IIRC, the Netgear 834G v5 has been mentioned a couple of times. My v3 (which I think actually contains different hardware) isn't a problem.

What (if any) alterations have been made to the standard (default) setup?

Side note.

This "fix" reference linked just above. What does it claim to do? Isn't it just a LITTLE bit strange that a poster's very first post on this forum is offering a downloadable 'fix', without any explanation of HOW it might work?

Seems curious to me that this should be his one and only post, and that he has not logged in again since that post.

And his profile seems, err, short on information.

Candy from strangers, anyone?

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Acathla-

There is nothing in the permissions that should cause concern:

Network communication

view Wi-Fi state

System tools

change Wi-Fi state, prevent phone from sleeping, automatically start at boot

I should probably ask this in here instead of starting a new thread. Whenever I try to connect to my network I get "network password incorrect"

I know I'm entering the pw correctly because my laptop connects okay and if I disable security on my router I get a connection instantly.

It's a Netgear router and as far as I know all the settings for phone and router are set properly..?

Thanks.

Guest bugeyes
There is nothing in the permissions that should cause concern:

Network communication

view Wi-Fi state

System tools

change Wi-Fi state, prevent phone from sleeping, automatically start at boot

Think i'll stick with my fix using "tasker" to re associate wifi at screen on, within half a second my wifi re associates and no other apps are needed (other than tasker of course!)

if anyone wants help setting this up just ask me in this thread :)