WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest neologan

I've had the wifi disconnect problem from the start, randomly, though. I've done the change and i'll see how it goes.

i'm going to let it sleep now and see what happens

Guest neologan
aarrrhhh.... why is nothing easy!!!!! ;)

Tried using Connectbot, select local & then enter. (i didnt enter a nickname)

The 'command prompt' opened, but when ever i enter anything it says 'Permission Denied'

This also happens when i use a nickname as well.

:)

have you rooted yet?

Guest neologan

i think you need superuser permissions to do what Paul said (but please, correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption): http://www.appbrain.com/app/superuser/com....ufou.android.su

install this one, it should work automatically, no need to do anything until a pop up screen comes when doing the stuff Paul described.

superuser was included in the rom he made, which is all explained here, a bit complicated though if you've never done it before: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...deo-now-online/

Edited by neologan

Guest neologan

You can. Install superboot from the market, it will then allow connectbot to work for you (i think). Do that for now.

Rooting, i dunno, I'm new to all this stuff, but the end result is it allows you to install Pauls custom ROM, which changes the OS from how orange did it. It gets rid of all the orange additions to android (like maps you have to pay for, etc) to the standard stuff, like google maps, and adds lots of tweaks. The latest cool one being hardware acceleration. It's more than worth doing as orange added too much junk imo.

Take a look and read the first post, it's should explain it: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...deo-now-online/

Edited by neologan

Guest oh!dougal

My question still stands though - whats rooting?

Obtaining "superuser" 'privileges'. (Its a UNIX thing.)

Privileges/permissions allow/disallow a user or program to see, read or write to each file and directory (folder).

A superuser has "root" priviliges, the ability to see, and potentially mess with, any file or folder on the machine.

Ordinary users are kept away from the mechanical bits that make it actually work!

"Rooting" = getting superuser rights. (or getting the ability to have them when you need them)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest neologan

Ah, so without rooting you can't use superuser?

anyway, back to topic, no wifi drop yet, but it's early days.

How do you add a host name permanently instead of it reverting on boot?

Edited by neologan

Incidentally I can't recreate this as in 'losing connection' but I do see an issue with it not automatically reconnecting when I wake it from sleep...?

P

Guest oh!dougal

If its not the name being hidden, how about the DHCP lease time?

If it were to wake up and try to continue using the same IP address (silly but possible), but by then the router had forgotten it ... ?

Guest neologan

isn't that the problem though? it goes to sleep, then wifi is no longer connected, so you need to turn wifi off and back on to get it back? I thought this thread was about that.

Edited by neologan

Yeah, exactly. I thought some people were saying they had issues when their device was on, but yeah, the problem i'm looking into is the 'connection unsuccessful' on wake.

P

Guest oh!dougal
isn't that the problem though? it goes to sleep, then wifi is no longer connected, so you need to turn off and back on wifi to get it back? I thought this thread was about that.

Quite.

I wonder if the length of time its asleep (compared to the router's DHCP lease time) makes a difference?

Guest cmberry20

OK, i rooted, superbooted but still have a problem.

SU now works (i got a warning when a entered it first time)

But when i entered 'Hostname BLADE' I got the error 'Hostname: Not Found'

I will state it again.......... why is nothing ever easy!!!

Guest oh!dougal
Yeah, exactly. I thought some people were saying they had issues when their device was on, but yeah, the problem i'm looking into is the 'connection unsuccessful' on wake.

P

Paul, it seemed to me that there might have been some people trying to connect to a router set as n-only.

There seems to be an issue beyond the SF (common to some Pulse+router combos as well, maybe others) regarding resumption of connection after sleep.

And there seem to be various (self-styled) 'wifi fixing' apps in circulation ... which makes it seem to me that its a known quirk of some phone models (wifi drivers?) that needs understanding to work around.

While a transparent work-around ain't exactly a fix, it might be almost as effective!

Guest neologan
Paul, it seemed to me that there might have been some people trying to connect to a router set as n-only.

There seems to be an issue beyond the SF (common to some Pulse+router combos as well, maybe others) regarding resumption of connection after sleep.

And there seem to be various (self-styled) 'wifi fixing' apps in circulation ... which makes it seem to me that its a known quirk of some phone models (wifi drivers?) that needs understanding to work around.

While a transparent work-around ain't exactly a fix, it might be almost as effective!

i'm not on wireless n only, i'm using N+G

Guest neologan
Quite.

I wonder if the length of time its asleep (compared to the router's DHCP lease time) makes a difference?

My lease time is set to 24 hours, so if it was this (for me at least) it should happen only once to me per day, and it happens it bulk at random times, sometimes it stays connected for 5-6 hours, then it will lose it over and over in a period of two hours, then all is fine again. Crazy.

Lets hope the hostname fix works.