[ROM] 31/Jan r9: de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [eclair] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

hi seb and the forum owners,

just wanted too add thanks for your work, numpties like me would just have a bog standard phones if it wasnt for people like yourselves.

this phone for the price is an absolute steal, made even better by the roms.

i only change my phone every couple of years and im too mean too splash on a iphone or htc desire, this phone does 95% of what they do, so for me its great.

joe.............

Guest super san francisco

Hey Seb404,

just wanted to say thank you for that great rom of yours. i'm using r6 lite with some additions of myself and it's the greatest rom now:) Tried others but yours was just fantastic. keep on going.

i hope for an 2.2 rom of yours, when it comes out in japan/china:)

regards

Guest papatangoalpha

Fantastic stuff, Sebastian. As a complete Linux newbie - and with some trepidation - I flashed my (Orange no more) San Francisco with the fat ROM (in addition to the English keypad, I also use the French and Spanish).

With all the gunk gone it works like a charm and my technical knowledge of Android (my first ever phone with the s/w) has gone from absolute zero to...well, rather less than yours.

Thanks to everyone at Modaco who make this the smartphone platform for the free of mind...

Hi, just installed r6, and seem to have SU access. Have d/l'ed su from the market, but has made no difference. Have looked back through the thread and have ssen that at some time in the past, there was a su fix for the earlier roms, but can't find it. Can anyone help please? I was on Modaco r2 before, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Never mind, have sorted it. Installed Universal Androot.

Edited by synet

mmm... as I said above I installed r6 last night. Left the phone overnight (approx 9hrs) and the battery has gone from fully charged to 58%!!? Previously, on the Modaco r2 rom, it would go down by about 8-10% overnight. I charge my phone using my computers USB. Plug it in when I get home from work, and turn the computer off at night when I go to bed, hence it not being charged overnight. I know I have the wireless, bluetooth, and sometimes mobile data on, but I also left these on when on the modaco rom. Someone else also reported excessive battery drain in post #438. Is there a problem with battery use on this rom?

EDIT: Seems to have sorted itself out now??? Losing about 10% overnight.

Edited by synet

Guest scoobydoo99

I installed fastboot and flashed the 404 FAT rom to my new Blade last night, everything seems to be working fine.

Presumably the Blade isn't rooted though, just by installing Fastboot and the 404 rom?

What should I use to root the blade now?

Guest Afrodude
I installed fastboot and flashed the 404 FAT rom to my new Blade last night, everything seems to be working fine.

Presumably the Blade isn't rooted though, just by installing Fastboot and the 404 rom?

What should I use to root the blade now?

You can use Universal Androot. Get it from the market.

I'm currently running r5 and quite happy with it, just wondered if there was an easy way to permanently root it as remembering to run Universal Androot after every boot is a minor annoyance?

Guest Sebastian404
I'm currently running r5 and quite happy with it, just wondered if there was an easy way to permanently root it as remembering to run Universal Androot after every boot is a minor annoyance?

Maybe you need to rephrase that....

The rom is rooted, you can remount the system partition and r/w from ADB and you can get a su shell without any messing about..

What is it that your trying to do that stops you?

I've flashed the Update-signed.zip from your beta folder. Went really well and all, but could you post a changelog of some sort?

I noticed, that some menu options are rearranged, for example the switch for using apn is in the wireless menu, whereas it was in the apn menu before, where you can swith 2G/3G. Apart from that, the reception bars are green now.

What else is there. It's very fast, that's for sure;)

Guest oh!dougal

The rom is rooted, you can remount the system partition and r/w from ADB and you can get a su shell without any messing about..

Its not in the Changelog (post 3 this thread), but IIRC, one of the things that changed with r6 was that the r6 rom was zipped pre-rooted, and is supposed to stay rooted, though there may be an issue with different versions of the superuser app ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Sebastian404
Its not in the Changelog (post 3 this thread), but IIRC, one of the things that changed with r6 was that the r6 rom was zipped pre-rooted, and is supposed to stay rooted, though there may be an issue with different versions of the superuser app ...

Oh yeah,,, reading, I should learn to do it one day..

Upgrade to r6, that should sort you out.

Guest Sebastian404
I've flashed the Update-signed.zip from your beta folder. Went really well and all, but could you post a changelog of some sort?

I noticed, that some menu options are rearranged, for example the switch for using apn is in the wireless menu, whereas it was in the apn menu before, where you can swith 2G/3G. Apart from that, the reception bars are green now.

What else is there. It's very fast, that's for sure;)

Ah, I'm still working on that, it is beta after all...

just for your interest: i began having a lot of FC all of a sudden. Just GAPPS of all sorts. Just flashed over my R6 lite.

no wipe, cleaned cache though...

so restored back to r6.

Guest Sebastian404
just for your interest: i began having a lot of FC all of a sudden. Just GAPPS of all sorts. Just flashed over my R6 lite.

no wipe, cleaned cache though...

so restored back to r6.

If your still keen on beta testing, Ive uploaded todays build to the same place, but do a wipe before you try it....

Guest feckineejit

hello Seb i've been using your r5 de-oranged rom for a few weeks now, nothing to complain about apart from a few freezes etc :P but been looking through a few posts on the forum where people mention there quadrant scores, i knew nothing about this till i seem there posts, also don't really know what the benefits to the scores are. Anyway ppl have been saying there scores are at 800 - 900 but when i checked mine they where reporting at around 300, is there anything i can do to improve that score?

Edited by feckineejit

Guest Sebastian404
hello Seb i've been using your r5 de-oranged rom for a few weeks now, nothing to complain about apart from a few freezes etc ;) but been looking through a few posts on the forum where people mention there quadrant scores, i knew nothing about this till i seem there posts, also don't really know what the benefits to the scores are. Anyway ppl have been saying there scores are at 800 - 900 but when i checked mine they where reporting at around 300, is there anything i can do to improve that score?

Ah, upgrade to r6 :P

the quadrant scores are a bench mark for how fast the phone runs, Android has a Hardware Acceleration setting, but is still considered un-stable and has caused some issues, other peoples scores are higher because the 3d graphics part of Bench Marking software is going to be faster, but just about everything else will not be affected.

I'm a great believer in not having hardware acceleration turned on since it will use up your battery and cause stability problems..

Guest Just Wondering
Ah, upgrade to r6 ;)

the quadrant scores are a bench mark for how fast the phone runs, Android has a Hardware Acceleration setting, but is still considered un-stable and has caused some issues, other peoples scores are higher because the 3d graphics part of Bench Marking software is going to be faster, but just about everything else will not be affected.

I'm a great believer in not having hardware acceleration turned on since it will use up your battery and cause stability problems..

Hi , where do you keep the beta updated version ? i tried the version from november the 16th now lots of force closed...

ty

Guest Just Wondering
Hi , where do you keep the beta updated version ? i tried the version from november the 16th now lots of force closed...

ty

help please :-

when i install :- r6_update_de-orangeated_fat_blade_signed.zip - MD5 : 780de0c55ec130e782e8db94a298832c

The GPS does not find a signal ,

but when i install the update from the 16th of november , i got lots of forced closeures but the gps works .

is there a updated version of r6_update_de-orangeated_fat_blade_signed.zip - MD5 : 780de0c55ec130e782e8db94a298832c or say a older version that does not have the gps issue.

+1 for integrated App2SD. I think this is a must for v2.1 ROM. And I believe what most of us will firstly do is to install App2SD to this phone, but unfortunately with no luck. For me, I have tried many times, but still couldn't succeed even though I like this ROM very much.

Agree to add App2SD into ROM by default. I don't see anyone would like to deny this feature for his/her OSF.

Guest Sebastian404
help please :-

when i install :- r6_update_de-orangeated_fat_blade_signed.zip - MD5 : 780de0c55ec130e782e8db94a298832c

The GPS does not find a signal ,

but when i install the update from the 16th of november , i got lots of forced closeures but the gps works .

is there a updated version of r6_update_de-orangeated_fat_blade_signed.zip - MD5 : 780de0c55ec130e782e8db94a298832c or say a older version that does not have the gps issue.

Having forced closes is a sign you did not wipe the user/data area before you dated the ROM, give that a go and see if its any better.

I've not really had any complaints of GPS not working, people said it was not accurate, that's what update was for, but it apparently made no difference.

Guest Sebastian404
Agree to add App2SD into ROM by default. I don't see anyone would like to deny this feature for his/her OSF.

This point keeps coming up.

The Blade has a HUGE amount of user space to install Apps, one of the biggest I've seen on a consumer device, and I don't really want to support something I've not written. I've seen endless threads on here about people having problems with A2D and I don't want to be in the middle of that.

I tried villianROM's version sometime ago and it was really easy to install/use, there are plenty guides out there on how to do it.

Guest oh!dougal
+1 for integrated App2SD. I think this is a must for v2.1 ROM. And I believe what most of us will firstly do is to install App2SD to this phone, but unfortunately with no luck. For me, I have tried many times, but still couldn't succeed even though I like this ROM very much.

That is your preference.

Sebastian404's aim has been to produce a "clean" (and basic) rom.

To make as far as possible a "Standard Android" phone out of the Blade.

Recognise and respect that!

Other folks are going in different directions.

I suggest that you check out Hungarian Hedgehog ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest thewarden

Hi,

Any ideas why I cant root this?

Ive tried v5 and v6.

ive installed superuser clockwork, installs ok but when startup. its in the menu. But still no permissions,

V6 is supposed to be rooted already but still no permissions.

What am I doing wrong anyone?

thanks