[ROM] 31/Jan r9: de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [eclair] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
Is it just me or is there no Superuser app? Noticed then I was trying to use root in Estrongs File Explorer. And the Exit menu option in the Browser is messed up, shows @ and a bunch of numbers. Did a full wipe before installing.

No, there is no Super User App, you can download it from the Market Place if you wish.

Guest keencyclist

New update, the notification light works perfect even when not plugged in charging. Not sure if it is a benefit or not but when the phone goes into sleep mode you can awake it by pressing any of the 3 buttons on the bottom. I quite like it that way to be honest.

Live wallpaper update file works perfect as well. Many thanks.

Edited by keencyclist

Guest oh!dougal
Well to be honest, I originally started off with the plan of making this as much like the totally bare image you get in the Emulator, only with the abilities to make calls, but I've ended up keeping a lot more stuff than that.

I think the debate about the JavaVM size was still on going, but I did leave the phone rootable so it should not be too hard for the end user to change it.

I note that you have very nicely updated and augmented the Google apps rather than ripping them out. I support that judgement call. I just hope you won't stop there!

I wholeheartedly support your aim of producing a less cluttered, more 'standard' phone than Orange's.

But (and its no big thing really) I think you are in a position to improve the basic phone (along the lines of bugfixing rather than adding features).

Boosting Java performance (at the cost of a little bit of space) would be one immediately possible way; fixing missed call (off charge) notifications sounds like one you have done already - Brilliant! :) :) .

Yes please, strip it back to the basics that should be generally useful. But don't pass up any opportunity to apply fixes and the like.

Not personal preference things, but generally useful fixes.

Everyone's ideal is going to be different, but what you are doing should produce as sound a foundation as possible (a laudable aim), and let others add-on what they will.

Scarey, do you appreciate that the point of using ClockworkMod is that it provides a safety net for (and facilitates) future adventures ? ... AND incremental (additive) upgrades? ... AND that zip files have integrity checking built-in ? ( so you don't need to check for corruption with MD5 hashes ... )

The ClockworkMod/zip-file route is the more user-friendly one!

@keencyclist -- Notification - is is it working nicely when NOT attached to the charger?

@Sebastian -- Its not clear how ruthless you are being in ripping out Orange's stuff. They had put on a Homescreen switcher that would seem a nice way to explore alternatives ...

The point of having a stripped down rom would seem to be (apart from decluttering) to leave more room for personal-choice downloads, and trying different ways of doing things. Thus anything like that Switcher would seem to have a valid claim to its space in the rom.

Also, I wonder if you are intending to 'roll-in' established tweaks as they prove themselves to be generally useful? -- The only candidate I can spot at this point is probably the JavaVM resizing. (Though maybe you've 'fixed' notifications - or perhaps just removed whatever was messing them up!)

And yes, cheer up, please! This seems like great stuff. :)

You could download Home switcher from the market. Works for me

http://www.appbrain.com/app/home-switcher/...id.homeswitcher

Guest oh!dougal
what about adding hardware acceleration?

Splendid example of the type of generally-beneficial "plain vanilla" enhancement I was wittering on about! :)

Guest mobile579

I have followed Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 from the "Installing-the-modaco-custom-rom-from-scratch" thread but instead of installing the Modoco custom rom at Step 3 I installed the deorangeated rom.

Everything appears to have worked fine and all branding is removed etc. I did a factory reset to ensure everything "old" was no longer present. Very pleased. Many thanks Sebastian404.

I have however installed Titanium Backup from the Market but it says I do not have Root access. I also do not have a Super User icon. I did when I followed the original Step 1.

What do I need to do to get a Super User icon in the deorangeated rom?

TIA

Guest feckineejit
I have followed Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3 from the "Installing-the-modaco-custom-rom-from-scratch" thread but instead of installing the Modoco custom rom at Step 3 I installed the deorangeated rom.

Everything appears to have worked fine and all branding is removed etc. I did a factory reset to ensure everything "old" was no longer present. Very pleased. Many thanks Sebastian404.

I have however installed Titanium Backup from the Market but it says I do not have Root access. I also do not have a Super User icon. I did when I followed the original Step 1.

What do I need to do to get a Super User icon in the deorangeated rom?

TIA

A few posts up it says you can download it from the Market Place.

Edited by feckineejit

Complete n00b question -

I've loaded the de orangised ROM onto my San Francisco which is amazing, extremely happy.

How do I go about setting the Live Wallpaper add on?

Is it a case of doing exactly the same thing as I did with the de orangised ROM, just put it onto my SD card and open in via Clockwork Recovery?

Guest scarey23

as suggested i have installed clock recovery and have loaded sebastians r4 zip..all working well except for i cant find the 'font' menu as my eyes are a bit dodgy and i need fairly large text...any ideas where this menu is located please..

Guest DaneelS
I had the same problem, downloaded this superuser version for eclair and loaded it via clockwork. Found at http://www.playerandroid.com/tools/superus...hts-for-android

I'm getting an error when I try to do this, E: Can't symlink /system/xbin/su

E: Failure at line 8:

symlink /system/bin/su SYSTEM:xbin/su

Installation aborted.

Any ideas what to do?

Guest DaneelS

Ok, I just checked in terminal emulator (typed SU, got permission denied), so I simply don't have root access. I'm confused.

i have clockworkmod installed, I installed this ROM using clockwork, and I flashed boot with Paul's r3 Superboot Root + MCRi (I just did that again to be sure), yet I still don't have root access. What am I missing here?

Guest Baggy Pipes

Thanks Sebastian for all your effort.

Quick query. When in the Browser, click the 'menu' button, the top middle option says 'X @2131230792' on mine instead of presumably 'X Exit'. Is this just my install that's doing this?

Guest DaneelS
Thanks Sebastian for all your effort.

Quick query. When in the Browser, click the 'menu' button, the top middle option says 'X @2131230792' on mine instead of presumably 'X Exit'. Is this just my install that's doing this?

Nope, mine does the same.

Guest Baggy Pipes
Nope, mine does the same.

Not just me then. It didn't do it with Paul's r3 custom rom, but then the app was called 'internet' and not 'browser' so I assume it's a different app. Shouldn't be hard for someone of Sabastian's tallent to fix.

Guest DaneelS

So does everyone else who's done this have root access?

My process was:

1. Paul's r3 superoot

2. Clockworkmod

3. Sebastian's r4

When i discovered root access wasn't there, I then did (1) again, but it's made no difference :)

Guest Evil Disco Guy
I'm getting an error when I try to do this, E: Can't symlink /system/xbin/su

E: Failure at line 8:

symlink /system/bin/su SYSTEM:xbin/su

Installation aborted.

Any ideas what to do?

Same here.

So does everyone else who's done this have root access?

My process was:

1. Paul's r3 superoot

2. Clockworkmod

3. Sebastian's r4

When i discovered root access wasn't there, I then did (1) again, but it's made no difference :)

I did the same process yesterday aswell still not having root access even with superuser installed.

hopefully theres a solution soon

Thanks for the clean rom Sebastian, keep up the great work :)

Guest mobile579

My current problems - does anyone have any solutions?

1. Still can't get the superuser applet to appear?

2. Can't get voice directions to work in Google Navigation? I have already installed the Voice Pack when prompted but it does not say anything

3. No microphone icon in Google Navigation?

4. Voice Search in Car Home applet crashes with an stopped unexpected error.

5. Browser has a weird button name 'X @12335467' in menu

TIA

Guest Sebastian404

Since people seem to have having problems with the SuperUser app, I've updated the first page with another addon that should get you SU back... please let me know if people are still having problems.