[OLED+TFT] 30/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod Recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Simon O
Worked out how to get RomManager working with our clockwork, I used rom manager to install any old recovery (I selected dell streak), I then reflashed our clockwork and rom manager likes it :)

It creates a file called settings in /sdcard/clockwork which tells it that it's got a "proper" recovery installed.

Ah cool. I'll check that out ;)

Guest Skerved
Worked out how to get RomManager working with our clockwork, I used rom manager to install any old recovery (I selected dell streak), I then reflashed our clockwork and rom manager likes it :)

It creates a file called settings in /sdcard/clockwork which tells it that it's got a "proper" recovery installed.

Alright! I was afraid to do so as I am indeed a noob and thought I would ruin something. ;) Thanks for the tip!

more good news, we have a boot key sequence!

ftm mode now gives us recovery but the keys dont work, something paul can fix i hope, power on and vol -

enjoy

Guest stuartmc

After I try the Dell Streak recovery do I need to go through the fastboot (power on and volume up at the same teime etc) sequence again to reinstall/flash the clockwork recovery boot routine.

After I try the Dell Streak recovery do I need to go through the fastboot (power on and volume up at the same teime etc) sequence again to reinstall/flash the clockwork recovery boot routine.

yes

Guest Simon O

Yes

Guest Cobble
how do i enter recovery mode so I can back up phone

Install 'Quick Boot' from the market after flashing ClockworkMod. Quick Boot gives you the option to boot into Recovery Mode.

Guest Simon O
sweet backing up now, I love stuff like this. Can't wait for my 16GB to arrive.

so in future R's would I just select load update.zip?

Yep thats the plan :)

Guest Fransis.co

It would appear not.

I installed RomManager and made a backup after flashing the Clockwork Recovery. Just ignore the `must have Clockwork` message and make a backup.

Back into RomManager, select the Streak backup and exit.

Going back into RomManager I was able to Select/Manage my previous backup made earlier today.

Saves flashing the Clockwork twice.

Francis.co

It would appear not.

I installed RomManager and made a backup after flashing the Clockwork Recovery. Just ignore the `must have Clockwork` message and make a backup.

Going back into RomManager I was able to Select/Manage my previous backup made earlier today.

Francis.co

Did you already have a clockwork directory on the sd from a previous phone?

If the file is still needed it should be possible to just create it rather than installing a wrong recovery first

Name

/sdcard/clockworkmod/.settings

Contents

{"is_clockworkmod":true,"current_recovery_version":"2.5.0.1","readonly_recovery":false,"recovery_timestamp":1286383549874,"detected_device":"streak","reboot_recovery":""}

Guest Fransis.co
Did you already have a clockwork directory on the sd from a previous phone?

If the file is still needed it should be possible to just create it rather than installing a wrong recovery first

Name

/sdcard/clockworkmod/.settings

Contents

{"is_clockworkmod":true,"current_recovery_version":"2.5.0.1","readonly_recovery":false,"recovery_timestamp":1286383549874,"detected_device":"streak","reboot_recovery":""}

No, I didn`t have a previous clockwork directory.

Your right, must be a better way than to install a ghost recovery. I`m new to all this. :)

Fr.

It would appear not.

Francis.co

I missread, so you are sayins you flashed clockwork (for streak) through rom manager and then did a backup using that version? I guess that's possible, I assume the list of recoveries rom manager gives you is somehow based on a match of some kind based on your hardware. You probably wouldn't be able to boot directly into that recovery and use it though

Guest Fransis.co

No, t`other way `round.

Flashed the Blade Clockwork Recovery -

Installed RomManager -

Made a Recovery backup -

Installed the Streak Recovery -

RomManager now gives access to the Recovery (Blade) backup made earlier.

I haven`t tried a recovery from the SDCard, do you think it would work ?

Fr.

Edited by Fransis.co

more good news, we have a boot key sequence!

ftm mode now gives us recovery but the keys dont work, something paul can fix i hope, power on and vol -

enjoy

Good call, I reckon I can do something with this! :)

P

Hmm, the system is definitely going into some kind of special mode (no keypad, no USB) on powering on with volume down pressed... could be challenging to make it do anything useful.

P

Hmm, the system is definitely going into some kind of special mode (no keypad, no USB) on powering on with volume down pressed... could be challenging to make it do anything useful.

P

If you can detect this FTM mode, can you then do a reboot into proper recovery?

alternatively

Is the SD there, if so then it could be used for some kind of last chance disaster recovery if you can detect this mode, eg flash any MCRi image which is on the sd card, maybe even a boot image too? Maybe from a seperate /sdcard/disaster directory

The biggest issue that a boot key sequence into recovery helps with is when you can't boot normally and haven't got access to a pc like when you are on holiday, the options above might help with that and at least get you in a position where you can restore a backup.

Edited by rjm2k

For now i'm trying to determine whether I can just always reboot into recovery, but even that is proving troublesome atm...

P

can you do it by testing how many usb devices are there, or if the usb controller device is there etc?

I guess if sd is there then whether or not you have booted into proper recovery you can write a file out and force boot into what you know is proper recovery, detect/remove the file and not force a reboot again?

ie

FTM Mode

if not file exists then

create file

reboot recovery

else 'should never be hit in ftm mode

remove file

carry on

endif

proper recovery Mode

if not file exists then 'hit 1st time into recovery

create file