[OLED+TFT] 30/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod Recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest fluxcapacitor

It's been asked a couple of times already in this thread but no-one has answered.

For the noobs ( Like me!) Do you already need to be rooted/have installed superboot root before you install this?

Or,

Is it a complete alternative to Superboot root/MCRi ?

My understanding is its an alterntive? so even on a stock non rooted phone you can install Clockworkmod and then install a rooted rom?

It's been asked a couple of times already in this thread but no-one has answered.

For the noobs ( Like me!) Do you already need to be rooted/have installed superboot root before you install this?

Or,

Is it a complete alternative to Superboot root/MCRi ?

My understanding is its an alterntive? so even on a stock non rooted phone you can install Clockworkmod and then install a rooted rom?

If you install using fastboot then you don't need to be rooted, if you install using your phone you do need to be rooted.

Guest fredewis
If you install using fastboot then you don't need to be rooted, if you install using your phone you do need to be rooted.

wat do u mean do i ust follow the first post and i will have rut and costom rom

Guest Pakatus

help..

I rooted and installed the clockwork recovery.

Now everytime i boot the phone it goes into recovery

and even if i choose to reboot system now...it goes into recovery

help...

help..

I rooted and installed the clockwork recovery.

Now everytime i boot the phone it goes into recovery

and even if i choose to reboot system now...it goes into recovery

help...

you flashed the recovery onto the boot partition instead of the recovery partition, re-flash the superboot to the boot partition then re-flash recovery to the recovery partition

Flash BOOT - fastboot flash boot <image>

Flash RECOVERY - fastboot flash recovery <image>

Guest Pakatus
you flashed the recovery onto the boot partition instead of the recovery partition, re-flash the superboot to the boot partition then re-flash recovery to the recovery partition

Flash BOOT - fastboot flash boot <image>

Flash RECOVERY - fastboot flash recovery <image>

what image should i use for the flash boot? :)

Thank you for your help

PS: Sorted...thank you again ;)

Edited by Pakatus

Guest screwface

well using recovery is certainly a laugh with everything being upside down.

I looked odd using my phone the wrong way round.

Thanks for this paul.

Guest mario999
Hi! I Installed ClockworkMod and it wants an update.zip file instead of the really long filename one. I tried renaming that to update.zip and it didn't work :) Do you have to get the update.zip file from the Online Kitchen and therefore have to become a premium member?

If you mean the standard MoDaCo r3 rom, just need to rename: r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip, to update.zip. If its not working check the MD5 to make sure it downloaded correctly.

Just thought, make sure your not doing the double extension thing.

Edited by mario999

Guest rawmint
If you mean the standard MoDaCo r3 rom, just need to rename: r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip, to update.zip. If its not working check the MD5 to make sure it downloaded correctly.

Just thought, make sure your not doing the double extension thing.

Thanks for your quick reply. I did rename it to update.zip with no double extension as I said in my original post. I found out it wasn't liking my SD card rather than anything else though ;) It's all sorted now, I've just got to decide where to unlock my phone to other networks so I can use the phone :)

Guest BigBobC

I am a dumbish newbie to ZTE - :) but I have overwritten my old XDA rom/stacks many times to eventually get a working system

I have installed superroot , and flashed clockwork recovery - but for some reason I can not get recovery to start (unless recovery looks like normal orange garbage)

No amount of powering off , battery removal , reflashing recovery with the clockwork image seems to make power and volume down enter recovery.

The volume down button seems to be working - as is power (obviously)

Questions

a ) any way to check that the clockwork image is actually there ?

>>> Run recovery from Quick boot

b ) how do I start recovery otherwise ?

>>> Install Quick boot

c ) any images or idiots guide to recovery menus ?

cheers

Bob.C

Edited by BigBobC

Guest BigBobC

OK quick boot did the job and booted me in to recovery - applied the r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip file as update.zip - over the raw Orange install (not r1 or r2) - rebooted and mixed results

I have the Modaco image on boot - but I still get the cr*p streaky orange background - 1st page to the right of home page has "problem loading widget" (I think that was the 5 switch comms on off )

Have I missed a step ?

Edited by BigBobC

Guest jimbobvfr400
OK quick boot did the job and booted me in to recovery - applied the r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip file as update.zip - over the raw Orange install (not r1 or r2) - rebooted and mixed results

I have the Modaco image on boot - but I still get the cr*p streaky orange background - 1st page to the right of home page has "problem loading widget" (I think that was the 5 switch comms on off )

Have I missed a step ?

At that point I did a factory reset in the recovery menu as I'd done a bit of faffing around previous to flashing, flashing this ROM doesn't seem to wipe setings from the previous rom

Guest Bobby Demos

Hi,

I don't know if I am just being stupid here....I've managed to get my windows laptop working (as it just wasn't working on my Mac). I am in command prompt and put fastboot-windows etc in and its just saying waiting for device. The device is ready, volume held up and power on, android on the screen. I am just not having much luck at all.

Bobby

Guest cjb110

Bobby, have you checked that all the drivers are working in Device Manager? as far as I can work out there are two 'sets', one when the device is plugged in normally, and one when its in bootmode. It might be the latter your missing.

Guest Bobby Demos
Bobby, have you checked that all the drivers are working in Device Manager? as far as I can work out there are two 'sets', one when the device is plugged in normally, and one when its in bootmode. It might be the latter your missing.

I have downloaded the drivers from the Blade/San Fran modaco wiki. And they haven't done much, I have installed the drivers by pointing windows to to the directory they are in. But nothing comes up when it goes into boot mode.....

Bobby

Guest Bobby Demos
I have downloaded the drivers from the Blade/San Fran modaco wiki. And they haven't done much, I have installed the drivers by pointing windows to to the directory they are in. But nothing comes up when it goes into boot mode.....

Bobby

Scratch that. I have managed to get clockwork mod installed (I did a manual driver install). I have downloaded the ROM from the other page on the online kitchen thread (but haven't used the online kicten as I am not premium member.)

When I download the rom from the link the file name is: r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed, and the clockwork mod is looking for an update.zip file. So I renamed it update.zip. Both times it comes up with:

Install from sdcard

finding update package

opening update package

E: can't open /sdcard/update.zip

(No Such file or directory

any ideas? I've tried renaming the sd on windows it self to sdcard and even tried placing a folder inside the card called sdcard with the update.zip file inside....

ah the usual File Extensions problem, who ever thought hiding them was a good idea needs shooting, and then so do the muppets who let the 'feature' stay through multiple versions of windows!!

In Explorer, go to the Folder Options dialog, and untick the box 'Hide Extensions For Known Types' on the 2nd tab. If you can't find it search windows help for 'File Extensions', which should point you to the right place on your ver of windows.

The problem is that the file you downloaded was named 'r3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip', but Windows in its ultimate wisdom doesn't show you the .zip, when you renamed it the file is now 'update.zip.zip', and again Windows fails as it didn't tell you or provide any indication of what the hell it had done.

So to be clear: Plug the phone in, and mount it, so Windows sees the sd card, and now on the root you should have a file called 'update.zip', power off into the update mode (or install Quick Boot from the market) and then it should be ok!

Guest flash2004
Hi,

I don't know if I am just being stupid here....I've managed to get my windows laptop working (as it just wasn't working on my Mac). I am in command prompt and put fastboot-windows etc in and its just saying waiting for device. The device is ready, volume held up and power on, android on the screen. I am just not having much luck at all.

Bobby

Try to do this in your Mac, as it is much easier ( no more fiddling around with drivers and stuff).

Just put your device in the right mode (volume up+power) and flash recovery.

Worked first time on my Mac

Guest tonyamh

if anyone could help i would really appreciate it as I'm not that great with this sort of thing I'm just trying to get rid of the orange rubbish on my phone iv read & re-read the instructions on the first page but I'm still going wrong

so far i have downloaded the fastboot and unzipped it to my desktop and downloaded

recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade which is also on my desktop

I'm using vista and have added the drivers (i think) when i safely remove hardware it says safely remove android composite adp interface so i think its OK

i have also downloaded quick boot to my phone but i haven't added anything else (is this right?)

now this is where it seems to go wrong i get my phone to the green man stage then open command prompt but i can't seem to find any files as all the files i need are on my desktop what should i key in iv tried a few things but none work

such as

c:\users\anthony>'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img'

but i just end up with c:\users\anthony>'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img'

can anyone shed some light on where a dipstick (me) is going wrong and thanks for any advice

Guest mario999
if anyone could help i would really appreciate it as I'm not that great with this sort of thing I'm just trying to get rid of the orange rubbish on my phone iv read & re-read the instructions on the first page but I'm still going wrong

so far i have downloaded the fastboot and unzipped it to my desktop and downloaded

recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade which is also on my desktop

I'm using vista and have added the drivers (i think) when i safely remove hardware it says safely remove android composite adp interface so i think its OK

i have also downloaded quick boot to my phone but i haven't added anything else (is this right?)

now this is where it seems to go wrong i get my phone to the green man stage then open command prompt but i can't seem to find any files as all the files i need are on my desktop what should i key in iv tried a few things but none work

such as

c:\users\anthony>'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img'

but i just end up with c:\users\anthony>'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img'

can anyone shed some light on where a dipstick (me) is going wrong and thanks for any advice

To simplify things, drop everything into the fastboot folder and then move this folder directly to your C:\ drive.

Type: 'cd c:\fastboot' in command prompt (without speach marks. - this will put you in fastboot folder)

Then copy and press enter to run the command, eg: fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img (or whatever other command you are using)