[OLED+TFT] 30/Nov 2.5.1.3: ClockworkMod Recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm hanging my head in shame here... but I'm missing something fundamental and important - probably many things.

This is what I'm trying to do - install clockworkmod recovery for the sole purpose of then installing Paul's custom ROM on my San Francisco - I want to do this so I can learn and play about with my newly purchased San Fran.

I've got an unlock code for the phone, but have not used this yet as I'm using up the orange top up before I transfer it over to my cheaper PAYG asda sim.

I'm using a Macintosh computer by the way.

Okay, so this is what I've done: downloaded fastboot.zip and recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

not being sure what to do with these I've unzipped the fastboot zip file and have placed recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img inside this folder. the folder sits on my desktop.

Got the phone into the green robot mode and have connected it to my computer.

And so...

Have gone into the mac terminal one I've typed in sudo su, I get asked for my password. Type this in and I get:

sh-3.2#

then I type in fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

and I get

sh: fastboot-mac: command not found

so... my guess is I'm not placing the files in the right place and/or I need to provide terminal with the correct path to the file.

As you may guess, I'm a complete newbie to all of this... including terminal!

Help please - would really like to learn something new today.

Suns

Guest thomasboyd

I'm getting the same problem with my blade

ubuntu:~/fastbot$ sudo fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

sudo: fastboot-linux: command not found

Have gone into the mac terminal one I've typed in sudo su, I get asked for my password. Type this in and I get:

sh-3.2#

then I type in fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

and I get

sh: fastboot-mac: command not found

Suns

Guest thomasboyd

bump i guess

I'm getting the same problem with my blade

ubuntu:~/fastbot$ sudo fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

sudo: fastboot-linux: command not found

bump i guess

Use

sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img

(note the dot and slash before fastboot-linux)

Edited by MDCFan

Thanks for this, as complete Android Noob can I request you add to instructions "Before you start ensure you can connect the phone to your PC and see the contents, if not then you need to install the correct device driver for your O/S, see wiki http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/ZTE_Blade#Drivers".

Guess most people will have used phone for a while before deciding to replace the firmware and not fall over this like I did, if you see "< waiting for device >” on the PC after running the fastboot command this may be where you went wrong.

Signed up as a paid up member, hope it helps the good work to continue ! Custom ROM with "Fancy Widget" looking really cool on daughters SanFran !

Guest PAUL1897
Thanks for this, as complete Android Noob can I request you add to instructions "Before you start ensure you can connect the phone to your PC and see the contents, if not then you need to install the correct device driver for your O/S, see wiki http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/ZTE_Blade#Drivers".

+1 please

Also in other guides , it specifies that that you should root the device first

Yeah ? If this is correct it would help to obviate this at the start

paul1897

This is a very noob question but i have r3 installed on my SF using superboot, and im confused as to how i flash clockwork over superboot if that makes any sense

Does wipe data/factory reset option delete all non android installed apps and roms?

If so does that mean it deletes universal androot, and if it does how does one go about running the update.zip file?

Reason i ask is i'd like to start with a 'clean slate' and i'm worried i might not be able to install the update.zip after wiping date/factory reset.

Guest jasonXXx
PS can someone tell me how to install clockwork over superboot im rather confused

Hi clockwork does not install over superboot. Clockwork is a recovery image and super boot is a boot image you need to fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img

Hi clockwork does not install over superboot. Clockwork is a recovery image and super boot is a boot image you need to fastboot flash recovery clockwork.img

I see so on my dads SF which has r3 using old micr method, exactly what steps do i take to use clockwork and the newer images?

thanks

Edited by tom619

Hi guys, i need some help backing up my image before i install the orangeless FAT image, here's what i've done so far:

C:\Users\S>cd c:\fastboot\

c:\fastboot>fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img

sending 'boot' (3158 KB)... OKAY

writing 'boot'... OKAY

c:\fastboot>fastboot-windows reboot

rebooting...

c:\fastboot>fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2

-blade.img

sending 'recovery' (3018 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... OKAY

c:\fastboot>fastboot-windows reboot

rebooting...

I have also installed the following apps:

Quickboot

ClockworkMod ROM Manager

When i run ROM manager and try to select "backup current ROM" it says i need clockworkmod recovery manager installed first, there are 4 options: huawei pulse mini, dell streak, huawei pulse, commitiva z71 (boston, and more)

I read earlier in this thread about some people have used dell streak and then re-flashed some images and it turned out ok.

Is there an easier or safer way to create a backup image than doing this? I haven't done power+volume down yet as i don't know if its possible to make a backup image in there. I also haven't made any partitions as you need clockworkmod recovery manager installed, also i don't know what size to make each partition.

Hope someone can help, many thanks!

EDIT: i took a gamble and did power+volume down and there is indeed an option to backup the image in there :rolleyes:

Someone should take some screenshots so that people know what it looks like and which options there are as i've read many pages and not found any of these.

EDIT2: It said:

No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.

Backing up cache...

No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.

Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!

there's an option to partition the SD card using 128m, 256m, 512m, 1024m, which should i choose and will this make the O.S drive this size and the rest a partition for files or?

Edited by Guest

Guest kallt_kaffe

You can partition your SD card for using with Apps2SD

I get an error message when trying to partition. Had to partition the SD card in another phone with Amon RA to able to use Apps2SD. Have anyone else managed to partition their SD-card from within Clockwork recover (on a Blade)?

Guest Gibbo501
I get an error message when trying to partition. Had to partition the SD card in another phone with Amon RA to able to use Apps2SD. Have anyone else managed to partition their SD-card from within Clockwork recover (on a Blade)?

I was under the impression that the partitioning on Clockwork didn't work.

Partition your SD card FIRST, the partitioning tools within the ClockworkMod recovery are currently BROKEN

http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthre...r-the-ZTE-Blade

Hey,

Does anyone have the driver for windows XP... NOT the SD card one, I have that. I'm asked for an android driver by windows when I connect at startup....

You mean like the one mentioned in the pinned topic with a title like "Official ZTE Usb drivers" ?

i searched for the drivers 2hours

attached : android usb drivers

they have been posted on this forum a number of times, there is even a pinned topic called "official zte usb drivers"