DELL STREAK Froyo Build Beta - Version 1.2.0 Released

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest 1800yolk
I noticed on my US 1.6, I was only connecting to UMTS, and 3G was displayed. I was told that I was probably just displaying 3G regardless of my connection. And yes, my service provider does have UMTS/HSDPA(+).

Using speedtest app, I was able to only get 1.6Mbps down.

NOW, after Steves 2.2 rom update, 3G is occationally displayed, and in settings it displays UMTS.

But mostly is says 'H', and now in settings it say HSPA. I did not do the baseband update, as I am using a rebelsim.

Now running speedtest, I get speeds up to 5Mbps.

Weird...but mostly awesome.

What carrier are you with?

Also, how did you avoid the baseband update? Will I be avoiding it by simply updating using the v1.0 zip update? Thanks!

Guest yosemite-sam
im still compiling a list of things for next build, patience folks - and im down a build pc at moment so cant compile anything big

Have a break mate, you can always get working on things next week. alot might not like this suggestion lol but you've done a lot already.

if it was me id put my feet up and reach for the rizla :P

Guest The Fixer

Argh Argh Argh, I want FROYO so bad I can taste it. I've read all 87 pages, and am still on AT&T 1.6 stock, as I can't live without Call waiting, I get WAY to many calls not to have it. I'm eagerly waiting in the wings as soon as this is confirmed fixed. Thanks for all the hard work and updates.

Guest Spike8585
What carrier are you with?

Also, how did you avoid the baseband update? Will I be avoiding it by simply updating using the v1.0 zip update? Thanks!

I am with fido in Canada.

Went straight to v1 to avoid baseband update.

Guest tonymenocal

one thing i noticed when using launcher pro and the stock dell widget, shuffle is broken unless you select album art and run the program full screen... but its great for a quick music fix!!

Guest UMAIR239
one thing i noticed when using launcher pro and the stock dell widget, shuffle is broken unless you select album art and run the program full screen... but its great for a quick music fix!!

Hi Everyone, Would someone be kind enough to guide me in Downgrading from Froyo to 2.1 Beta. I have tried the homiees guide, but my problem is that I cannot get rid of Clockwork Recovery. If I use the Recovery Image 6941-streak-recovery.img I still end up in Clockwork after selecting the UPdate from SD Card Option, and If I use the Stock recovery Image then I get a Black Screen, I cannot Revert back to 2.1, Would someone please help me out, Apologies for being a Noob and writing my questions in the Froyo Thread :P

Guest UMAIR239

Hi Everyone, Would someone be kind enough to guide me in Downgrading from Froyo to 2.1 Beta. I have tried the homiees guide, but my problem is that I cannot get rid of Clockwork Recovery. If I use the Recovery Image 6941-streak-recovery.img I still end up in Clockwork after selecting the UPdate from SD Card Option, and If I use the Stock recovery Image then I get a Black Screen, I cannot Revert back to 2.1, Would someone please help me out, Apologies for being a Noob and writing my questions in the Froyo Thread sad.gif

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but when updating to 2.2 my Streak would just play the animated logo, attempt to launch the desktop and then reboot, over and over again, sometimes with a wallpaper, sometimes without. (The feeling was similar to waking up on Christmas morning and seeing loads of presents wrapped under the tree only to discover none are for you... or one is for you and it is a copy of Batman & Robin on DVD)

I tried using keyword searching for the problem I was having but did not get great results. I then read through the first 25 pages of this thread and finally stumbled across someone with an issue not quite the same, but close enough, suggesting that starting the streak in recovery mode and doing a factory reset from there may work.

I did this and it worked perfectly. Now using 2.2 and marvelling in all of its glory!

Just wanted to put exactly what had happened to me so that someone else (who doesn't have the patience to trawl through old posts) with the same issue can keyword search... hopefully!

Also wanted to say a thank you for all of you people providing help. Without it I would have cried about 2 hours ago and then gone about trying to bullshit o2 into replacing my f**cked phone.

Guest outsidah
Argh Argh Argh, I want FROYO so bad I can taste it. I've read all 87 pages, and am still on AT&T 1.6 stock, as I can't live without Call waiting, I get WAY to many calls not to have it. I'm eagerly waiting in the wings as soon as this is confirmed fixed. Thanks for all the hard work and updates.

Steve's froyo ROM is quite good let me tell you. The call waiting issue though is terrible though so I would advise you to wait if you get many calls. I have to hope people leave voicemails or I will have no idea they called.

Guest PaulVlagsma
Tunnel driver (used for VPN connections) is compiled thanks to DJ_Steve.

You can use this for Dell Streak Froyo build (tested on v1.0)

just place "tun.ko" at /system/lib/modules and run the VPN application of your choice.

I've tested it with "VPN Connections" for Cisco VPNC.

Thank to mrmrmrmrmrmrmr and DJSteve for the tun.ko

I've adapted the vpnc-script to ignore /etc/resolv.conf which does not exist on my Streak, (or Hero!).

Using this script - which lives in /data/data/org.codeandroid.vpnc_frontend/files - the dns entries are

reset correctly after disconnecting.

vpnc_script.zip

Guest PaulVlagsma
Hi,

I think the question has not been asked:

which causes the folder "Snapshots" on the memory card? This Folder is there since froyo. There are thousands of log files in it. Various File Explorer crashes when viewing. I don't think it is spyware. Any ideas?

Thank you

/sdcard/snapshots contains snapshots written by the SamplingProfilerIntegration class.

As far as I can see these are only written and never read, since they are, AFAIK, a debugging tool.

You can stop the profiles being written by adding the line

setprop persist.sampling_profiler 0

to the file /system/bin/autorun_test.sh .

(There is probably a better place to set this property but I couldn't find it.)

/sdcard/snapshots contains snapshots written by the SamplingProfilerIntegration class.

As far as I can see these are only written and never read, since they are, AFAIK, a debugging tool.

You can stop the profiles being written by adding the line

setprop persist.sampling_profiler 0

to the file /system/bin/autorun_test.sh .

(There is probably a better place to set this property but I couldn't find it.)

System/Build.prop or data/local.prop

Guest Johnston411

cheers for the tip paul and fards.

can I delete the contents of snapshot as when searching for files on my sd this slows the process down somewhat?

Guest TimoBeil
cheers for the tip paul and fards.

can I delete the contents of snapshot as when searching for files on my sd this slows the process down somewhat?

Thank you very much, PaulVlagsma and fards.

I will test it and report, if it affects the battery life.

@ Johnston411: yes, you can delete the folder. But it works only from the PC (via USB).

(I had deleted it twice but it was created again and again)

Edited by TimoBeil

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all

I think it was mentioned that the Snapshot folder is part of this Froyo build and is why it gets recreated even if you delete it but i also believe its safe to delete the contents of it if and when you want to but I'd wait for someone to confirm this before doing so IMO as that info may not be correct.

Marc

how can i fix to portrait mode on v1.0 release?

i always want to use portrait mode home screen.

change setting menu of home screen -> Display -> Auto-rotate screen off,

then screen fixed to landscape mode.

change ADW setting -> System Preferences -> Home Orientation -> Portrait check,

can i fix home screen to portrait mode?

it is same behavior as 2.1 6941 rom.

after double checking persist. properties can't be changed by setting values build.prop or data/local.prop (ro. can)

the values is taken from init.rc and written to data/property, so Pauls suggestion of autorun_sh is the best way

Edited by fards

Guest outsidah
im still compiling a list of things for next build, patience folks - and im down a build pc at moment so cant compile anything big

WHAT??? PATIENCE??? WHAT DO WE PAY YOU FOR!?!

LOL! :P

No one needs to be complaining when you have done so much work in bringing to community such a great ROM practically by yourself.

Thanks on behalf of all us who are enjoying our device more than ever thanks to you.

Guest bostonguy
how can i fix to portrait mode on v1.0 release?

i always want to use portrait mode home screen.

change setting menu of home screen -> Display -> Auto-rotate screen off,

change ADW setting -> System Preferences -> Home Orientation -> Portrait check,

can i fix home screen to portrait mode?

it is same behavior as 2.1 6941 rom.

Change the orientation to portrait and then tick the box above for "System Persistent". This will gray out the orientation but lock it to whichever orientation you selected. ADW will no longer auto-rotate, but most apps I've tried (gmail, browser, market, etc) will still auto-rotate to landscape. there's a warning that it may cause other stability problems, but I never saw any when I locked it into landscape on 2.1 build.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Thank you very much, PaulVlagsma and fards.

I will test it and report, if it affects the battery life.

@ Johnston411: yes, you can delete the folder. But it works only from the PC (via USB).

(I had deleted it twice but it was created again and again)

I was also having issues with snapshot folder during searching process. most of the search apps would either crash or take an awefully long time to complete.

While looking for a cause i found that snapshot folder was were all of them were getting stuck.

I deleted the folder in the phone ( only app that could delete it in phone was dual file manager ) and after that search is working well

as timobeil has pointed out, the folder just reappears soon again slows down the process.

So it would be great if someone could find a way to make this folder not reappear again.