DELL STREAK Froyo Build Beta - Version 1.2.0 Released

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest nanostreak
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but when updating to 2.2 my Streak would just play the animated logo, attempt to launch the desktop and then reboot, over and over again, sometimes with a wallpaper, sometimes without. (The feeling was similar to waking up on Christmas morning and seeing loads of presents wrapped under the tree only to discover none are for you... or one is for you and it is a copy of Batman & Robin on DVD)

I tried using keyword searching for the problem I was having but did not get great results. I then read through the first 25 pages of this thread and finally stumbled across someone with an issue not quite the same, but close enough, suggesting that starting the streak in recovery mode and doing a factory reset from there may work.

I did this and it worked perfectly. Now using 2.2 and marvelling in all of its glory!

Just wanted to put exactly what had happened to me so that someone else (who doesn't have the patience to trawl through old posts) with the same issue can keyword search... hopefully!

Also wanted to say a thank you for all of you people providing help. Without it I would have cried about 2 hours ago and then gone about trying to bullshit o2 into replacing my f**cked phone.

There is a separate thread with that topic. Factory reset fixed it for me.

Guest TimoBeil
I was also having issues with snapshot folder during searching process. most of the search apps would either crash or take an awefully long time to complete.

While looking for a cause i found that snapshot folder was were all of them were getting stuck.

I deleted the folder in the phone ( only app that could delete it in phone was dual file manager ) and after that search is working well

as timobeil has pointed out, the folder just reappears soon again slows down the process.

So it would be great if someone could find a way to make this folder not reappear again.

Hi,

The description of PaulVlagsma in post # 1736 works fine for me. fards has confirmed this in Post # 1743. Insert with RootExplorer the said line, save and exit, and then reboot. Then delete the folder snapshots. It will never return :P ,

and scrolling through the file system is very fast again.

Thank you again to PaulVlagsma and fards.

Edited by TimoBeil

Change the orientation to portrait and then tick the box above for "System Persistent". This will gray out the orientation but lock it to whichever orientation you selected. ADW will no longer auto-rotate, but most apps I've tried (gmail, browser, market, etc) will still auto-rotate to landscape. there's a warning that it may cause other stability problems, but I never saw any when I locked it into landscape on 2.1 build.

Hope this helps...good luck.

thanks, hostonguy.

this fixed my problem.

and my home screen fixed into portrait mode.

thanks again.

Help - I have the 2.5.0.1 clockwork recover installed on my clean 2.1 install.

I have the update.zip file for 2.2

and when i follow the instructions i don't seem to be able to mount my sd card so i cant do the update.

any ideas what i should i do?

Thanks

also i have gone to the partitions menu and tried to mount hte sd but it wont

Edited by h9k

Guest UMAIR239
Help - I have the 2.5.0.1 clockwork recover installed on my clean 2.1 install.

I have the update.zip file for 2.2

and when i follow the instructions i don't seem to be able to mount my sd card so i cant do the update.

any ideas what i should i do?

Thanks

also i have gone to the partitions menu and tried to mount hte sd but it wont

Hi, I had the same Issue, the Clockwork recovery is very picky in case of SD Cards, I fixed mine by pushing my card in and out of the sd card slot several tries, it fixed it for me But for a Fast Solution, Try another SD Card which is formatted, that fixed my problem instantly, hope that helps!

Guest Fone_Fanatic

is the link on streakdroid.com down?

nvm was trying to d/l the wrong link. downloading now :P

Edited by Fone_Fanatic

how can i fix to portrait mode on v1.0 release?

i always want to use portrait mode home screen.

change setting menu of home screen -> Display -> Auto-rotate screen off,

then screen fixed to landscape mode.

change ADW setting -> System Preferences -> Home Orientation -> Portrait check,

then screen fixed to landscape mode.

can i fix home screen to portrait mode?

it is same behavior as 2.1 6941 rom.

I went to ADW settings -> system settings -> make system persistent. This also has an advantage of making the home screen load much faster between tasks as it doesn't have to reload things like live wallpapers and widgets, though it might impact performance a little in other areas.

Guest UMAIR239

Does anyone have a battery fix or any suggestions to improve the battery life because it hardly lasts four hours with a full charge, I am on Froyo v1, it is the only thing bothering me right now, please help!!!

Guest jnovello
Does anyone have a battery fix or any suggestions to improve the battery life because it hardly lasts four hours with a full charge, I am on Froyo v1, it is the only thing bothering me right now, please help!!!

That was my only issue with V1 too, so I went back to V.3 and I am getting 24hrs easily with heavy usage. Bluetooth, WiFi, Weather apps, and live wallpapers all day one charge. I am having no issues other than an occasional screen freeze, which I have had in every version of Android 1.6 to date.

hey guys i have to say 2.2 is nice but i had to downgrade to 2.1 because battery life was really bad and some apps were still crashing in 2.2 but i am really happy with 2.1 to be honest even if it does not have flash it does the job . i can wait till its offical . the upgrade and downgrade were really easy .

hey guys i have to say 2.2 is nice but i had to downgrade to 2.1 because battery life was really bad and some apps were still crashing in 2.2 but i am really happy with 2.1 to be honest even if it does not have flash it does the job . i can wait till its offical . the upgrade and downgrade were really easy .

It is strange that some people are having a battery life problem, for me the battery life has improve when i flash to v1 and i have not have any app that crash on this build. I guess not all device flash the same.

To be honest, for me is like the opposite where when i was at 2.1 the battery life was pretty bad

Guest UMAIR239

I also want to downgrade to 2.1 because the battery life is not that good, I was also happy with 2.1, But Now I cannot downgrade to 2.1 because I am stuck with Clockwork Recovery, and no matter which recovery image I use, I still end up in CLockwork recovery every time I choose to upgrade from sd card, I need to get rid of Clockwork because 2.1 comes only in pkg format and for that I need Stock recovery, I have went to all the guides and have checked all the combinations but it simply doesn't work for me that's why I am stuck with 2.2 for now :P

Would someone be kind enough to guide me in downgrading, and tell me precisely which recovery image and what steps to take to downgrade, I am stuck here, Help Please :D

Hi, I had the same Issue, the Clockwork recovery is very picky in case of SD Cards, I fixed mine by pushing my card in and out of the sd card slot several tries, it fixed it for me But for a Fast Solution, Try another SD Card which is formatted, that fixed my problem instantly, hope that helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, but i have tried 3 different sd cards and they all did the same thing as the 16 gb one i got with the phone.

Come to think of it i don't think i got clockwork to work with my 2.1 update either.

I have gone back to 2.1 now and normal recovery boot.

Its a shame that the update can't come as a .pkg like the normal 2.1 image, instead of a zip which need the clockwork to work. I could probably get it to install wit the normal udater then :P

I will wiat for 2.2 i guess but i had really wanted a plain android without all the apps and other crap that dell put on.

Guest scottylace

On my streak when I installed v1 I found the cpu was set by default to run on the performance governor at 998mhz constantly even when idle. I've used set cpu to change it to the on demand governor so it sits at 245mhz when idle and ramps it up when needs be which has helped loads with battery life

Guest alert_bri
On my streak when I installed v1 I found the cpu was set by default to run on the performance governor at 998mhz constantly even when idle. I've used set cpu to change it to the on demand governor so it sits at 245mhz when idle and ramps it up when needs be which has helped loads with battery life

What a fantastic tip! Thanks, have installed Set CPU and switched from performance to on demand... Looks promising!

Cheers

Brian

Guest OrionBG

Mine is set to ondemand by default! I've checked it with SetCpu too! BTW there is NO difference in battery life for me with 2.1 and 2.2 V1 ! There must be something wrong with yours!

Edited by OrionBG

I also want to downgrade to 2.1 because the battery life is not that good, I was also happy with 2.1, But Now I cannot downgrade to 2.1 because I am stuck with Clockwork Recovery, and no matter which recovery image I use, I still end up in CLockwork recovery every time I choose to upgrade from sd card, I need to get rid of Clockwork because 2.1 comes only in pkg format and for that I need Stock recovery, I have went to all the guides and have checked all the combinations but it simply doesn't work for me that's why I am stuck with 2.2 for now :P

Would someone be kind enough to guide me in downgrading, and tell me precisely which recovery image and what steps to take to downgrade, I am stuck here, Help Please :D

I ran into the same problem. I believe the thing that finally worked for me was to go to this link and download the streak-recovery.zip file found in the section "Downgrade from Stephen Hyde's 2.2 to O2 2.1 (build 8105)", under step #3.

Unzip the file, start your phone in fastboot mode (turn on while holding down the camera button), connect it to your computer and run the "install-recovery-windows.bat" file (or "install-recovery-mac.sh" if you have a Mac). After it finishes (just a few seconds), remove the battery. Restart the phone in recovery mode and you should now be using the stock recovery.

Hope this works for you.

Guest Stephen Hyde

For those of you with battery issues please can you delete the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh and create a new file of the same name (ini.qcom.post_boot.sh) containing the following code:

#!/system/bin/sh
# Copyright (c) 2009, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
# * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
# documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
# * Neither the name of Code Aurora nor
# the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
# products derived from this software without specific prior written
# permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"
# AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
# NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR
# CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
# EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
# PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;
# OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR
# OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF
# ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
#
echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
echo 20000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate
echo 245760 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq[/code]

See if it helps over normal use

Edited by Stephen Hyde

I found last night that even though it was set to manual the engadget app was polling every two minutes, so I've deleted it and battery is back to 1% per hour loss..

Guest UMAIR239
I found last night that even though it was set to manual the engadget app was polling every two minutes, so I've deleted it and battery is back to 1% per hour loss..

Hey Fards, Wanna Share any other useful tips for saving the battery life?? Please!!!

Guest UMAIR239

My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......Any Help Please :P

Guest UMAIR239
My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......Any Help Please :P

My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......Any Help Please

My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......Any Help Please

i had numerous crashes per day on froyo and my battery drain was really excessive... no offence to steve.... i switched back to 2.1 and now all's good.... well, as good as 2.1 can be :-(

Edited by ipguy