DELL STREAK Froyo Build Beta - Version 1.2.0 Released

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest TimoBeil
On my streak when I installed v1 I found the cpu was set by default to run on the performance governor at 998mhz constantly even when idle. I've used set cpu to change it to the on demand governor so it sits at 245mhz when idle and ramps it up when needs be which has helped loads with battery life

Hi,

The automatic changing of CPU speed works very well in the V1.

Install "System Panel Lite "(free) and you can see it. Even that is reduced in the idle to 245 MHz.Wait a few seconds and you'll see how it clocked down. The CPU power requirement of each individual running app is visible.

This app is by the way a super task manager with an "end all" widget

Edited by TimoBeil

Guest UMAIR239
i had numerous crashes per day on froyo and my battery drain was really excessive... no offence to steve.... i switched back to 2.1 and now all's good.... well, as good as 2.1 can be :-(

My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......

BUTSEE I HAVE TO REFLASH THE ENTIRE ROM TO START MY STREAK WHENEVERIT CRASHES, I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS ISSUE WITH ANYONE SO FAR, MY STREAK HAS BEEN ACTING WEIRD, ANY HELP PLEASE :'(

My Streak Keeps Crashing COnstantly, it Crashed four times just today and when it turns off, the only way to turn it back On is to Re-Flash the Rom, otherwise it just keeps getting stuck at Dell Logo if I try to restart it after Crashing, I am running Froyo, it has happened to me on 2.1 too but on Froyo it is just Crazy, I had four crashes, my streak just turns off in front of me and it just doesn't turn On even If I press the power button, the Only way to turn it back on is to go to Clockwork Recovery and re-flash the rom, I am getting tired of it, I had to flash Froyo four times today Don't know what is the Problem.......

BUTSEE I HAVE TO REFLASH THE ENTIRE ROM TO START MY STREAK WHENEVERIT CRASHES, I HAVEN'T SEEN THIS ISSUE WITH ANYONE SO FAR, MY STREAK HAS BEEN ACTING WEIRD, ANY HELP PLEASE :'(

STOP SCREAMING!!!!

my streak has blacked out a couple of times and it wouldnt turn on - all i did was remove the battery and it was good to go...

Guest TimoBeil

if it was exceptionally a bad flash, it helps only downgrading, if necessary to 1.6, and step by step re-upgrading

Guest Niner86
For those of you with battery issues please can you delete the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh and create a new file of the same name (ini.qcom.post_boot.sh) containing the following code:

#!/system/bin/sh

# Copyright (c) 2009, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.

#

# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without

# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

#	 * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright

#	   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

#	 * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

#	   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the

#	   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

#	 * Neither the name of Code Aurora nor

#	   the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote

#	   products derived from this software without specific prior written

#	   permission.

#

# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"

# AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE

# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND

# NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR

# CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,

# EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,

# PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;

# OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,

# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR

# OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF

# ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#

echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

echo 20000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

echo 245760 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

See if it helps over normal use

Cheers Sir, going to give this a go,ill report back

Guest TimoBeil
For those of you with battery issues please can you delete the file /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh and create a new file of the same name (ini.qcom.post_boot.sh) containing the following code:

Hi,

I am testing it also and the first results:

HSDPA is slower (O2 Germany), CPU clock is not idle back to 245 MHz constant. It is jumping constantly between 300 MHz and 550 MHz up and down.

Battery loses 20% (light use) within one hour. This is more than before. I watch more ....

Guest alert_bri
you obviously have some power hungry apps in backgroud as mine sits quite happily at 245 on idle

Now that I have Set CPU installed, I'm on 48% battery charge after 7.5 hours... everything looks fine. My rotation sensor is working perfectly by the way on this install of v1. I couldn't be happier!

Cheers

Brian

Guest luckyauto
Now that I have Set CPU installed, I'm on 48% battery charge after 7.5 hours... everything looks fine. My rotation sensor is working perfectly by the way on this install of v1. I couldn't be happier!

Cheers

Brian

hi, i am looking for rotation sensor to be worked better.

may i know what setting or file , did you instal ? for better rotation

pls share with us

many thank

Guest Niner86

Stephen - That CPu fix is already making a very noticeable difference, lost 9% with regular browsing,phone and text use whereas before it would chew through 20 in the same timescale no problem. Will post more detailed performance later but its definitely made a difference

Guest TimoBeil
you obviously have some power hungry apps in backgroud as mine sits quite happily at 245 on idle

No, I havn't. I'm ending of course all Apps before looking at idle CPU clock. With the new file it jumps up and down in idle.

But:

when hard working it has gotten much better. During the lunch break I surfed strong (with streaming video) about 1 hour ---> consumes only 15% battery. This is really good.

I'm curious to see how it behaves tonight, when I turn the data synchronization off

Edited by TimoBeil

Guest matty.cptk

using setcpu with downclock when the screen light is off it gave me another 6 hours usage time...

was just using music players basically for 12 hours non stop, a few texts and phone calls also and about an hour web time.

simply put i normally get about 8 hours usage until the battery drops to about 10%, with setcpu i was out all day saturday working doing a 8 hour shift and by the end of the shift the battery was still at 50%

Guest stuliv12

testing results so far, as others have said, are positive. I have noticed that when i turn wifi off, battery use continues to report that in fact wifi is using 9% ? The only way to not have the battery report that is to reboot.

Guest UMAIR239
STOP SCREAMING!!!!

my streak has blacked out a couple of times and it wouldnt turn on - all i did was remove the battery and it was good to go...

You Need to Watch your Tone, I am not asking you for Help, I am asking someone who knows better, so Mind your business, btw the battery juggling that you do doesn't work, so kindly move ON.....

Guest extrememonkey

Stephen is it ok to open this file on the streak and edit the code and then save???? Would it have the desired effect???

#!/system/bin/sh

# Copyright (c) 2009, Code Aurora Forum. All rights reserved.

#

# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without

# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

#	 * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright

#	   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

#	 * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright

#	   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the

#	   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

#	 * Neither the name of Code Aurora nor

#	   the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote

#	   products derived from this software without specific prior written

#	   permission.

#

# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS"

# AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE

# IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND

# NON-INFRINGEMENT ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR

# CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,

# EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,

# PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS;

# OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,

# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR

# OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF

# ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

#

echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo 40 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

echo 20000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/sampling_rate

echo 245760 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq

Guest darren cox
You Need to Watch your Tone, I am not asking you for Help, I am asking someone who knows better, so Mind your business, btw the battery juggling that you do doesn't work, so kindly move ON.....

perhaps you can consider the tone of your reply too... not sure that attitude will get you very far...

Anyways,

This latest change to the init.qcom file seems to have greatly improved my battery on 2.2... I had gone back to 2.1 but tried this latest change and seems ok.

Now if only the bloody market would work so I can get everything reloaded!

Edited by darren cox

Guest Stephen Hyde
Stephen is it ok to open this file on the streak and edit the code and then save???? Would it have the desired effect???

easier to rename old file and creatte new as its a bit of a change

Guest extrememonkey

Its just that I'm no where near my pc for a few days and wanted to give this a try even if I'm not really having major battery issues apart from when using 3g etc instead of wifi....

easier to rename old file and creatte new as its a bit of a change

Guest Stephen Hyde

you can edit the file but the above post contains ALL that should remain in file (remove all other lines except net.hostname one if you have it in their