CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest jamielockeymusic
I'm trying to install it and also move the apps from my ext partition to the new location.

When I succeed I'll post instructions.

Sh4d0w940

that would be a great help!

thankyou! :P

Guest whackster
Since this release is fundamentally different from the previous one I foresee confusion arising over the a2sd element. Could an experienced ROM installer please start a new thread providing clear instructions on installing it?

Yeah, nobody seems to bother to RTFM (or in this case posts #1, #2 and #3)...

DarkTremor A2SD won't work as it's not enabled within the kernel. Froyo's native a2sd should be working.

If froyo a2sd is working now, what would be the best way to update and keep the apps?

Because now I have 200+ mB of apps installed on my sdcard and I don't want to reinstall them all if that's not necessary.

Sh4d0w940

The best option would be to copy them off the sd card, format the card (back to one fat partition) then reinstall them. Something like.

adb shell tar -czf /sdcard/apps.tar.gz /sd-ext/app

adb pull /sdcard/apps.tar.gz 

## format card

tar -zxvf apps.tar.gz

find -name *.apk -exec adb install {} \;

Should do the job in linux. Figure it out yourself in windows.

One note only:Are you sure that network manual selection isn't working as it should be?

I always see all networks when I search manually with all the mobiles I own:after trying to connect it reports the forbidden status.

Petz

On the X10 it only shows available networks.

What about a script to move all the .apk from /sd-ext to wherever froyo places the apps? I have no idea where they should go...

And still, the dalvik-cache would be left on internal storage, right? That should be symlinked too... but where would this script go so that it loads at the right time?

Or it would be simplest just to enable a2sd within the kernel?

Froyo puts each app in it own encrypted container, so you can't just copy them.

Where do you want to symlink cache to? Why?

Normal a2sd has nothing to do with the kernel.

Gr8 work Tom... Now pardon my zeroness on the subject but, currently im runnin 1.7oc on ext 3 512 .... In order to move to cm if need to format sd? To what?do i still need flb boot img for oc?

Thanx in advance ... Im donating btw u saved me a bundled on a new desire just by making pulse fun.

You don't need to format the sd, but I would recommend doing it and going to one big fat partition, deleting the ext.

The flb boot image won't work, and the kernel from it is missing the bits needed for the froyo apps2sd to work.

PS. I don't take donations. I don't want people thinking I owe them anything. If you want to donate send some money to modaco (Paul) or flibblesan or anyone else that has helped me out.

it doesnt want to install here, it exits with Status 7, flashed through AmonRa

I thought that might happen. Use clockwork (or remove the device check in the install script).

Edited by Tom G

Guest shamikebab

DarkTremor A2SD won't work as it's not enabled within the kernel. Froyo's native a2sd should be working.

DarkTremor A2SD does work i have been using it

Guest Sh4d0w940

I've read them, but those are just standard instructions and I want all apps from my ext partition to the new location in froyo.

Edit:

The best option would be to copy them off the sd card, format the card (back to one fat partition) then reinstall them. Something like.

adb shell tar -czf /sdcard/apps.tar.gz /sd-ext/app

adb pull /sdcard/apps.tar.gz 

## format card

tar -zxvf apps.tar.gz

find -name *.apk -exec adb install {} \;

Should do the job in linux. Figure it out yourself in windows.

I'm trying something similair with Titanium backup, I'll backup the apps then wipe and flash and then set apps to install to external in CM settings before restoring them.

Sh4d0w940

Edited by Sh4d0w940

Guest jamielockeymusic
I've read them, but those are just standard instructions and I want all apps from my ext partition to the new location in froyo.

Edit:

I'm trying something similair with Titanium backup, I'll backup the apps then wipe and flash and then set apps to install to external in CM settings before restoring them.

Sh4d0w940

are you formatting sd too? :P

Guest jamielockeymusic
Yes, otherwise I'd have an useless partition taking up 512 mB :P

Sh4d0w940

im going to do your method :D will it work?

what back up should i choose?

all user and system?

Edited by jamielockeymusic

Guest igor_anta

So the Gallery doesn't rotate well? Pull the Gallery from the Hero nightly build and it works.... oh wait, I'll upload it here :P If I want to flash it throgh AmoRa should I just resign it, or I have to use Clockwerk for this? Cheers!

DOWNLOAD: Gallery3D.rar

Guest whackster
Where do you want to symlink cache to? Why?

Normal a2sd has nothing to do with the kernel.

Well the cache partition is limited, and if you have lots of apps installed it runs out of space instantly.

I meant DarkTremor a2sd, it symlinks dalvik cache to sd, so it should be easier just to enable it, instead of symlinking cache partition to sd?

I'm just shooting ideas out, if I'm wrong about something please correct me :P

I don't know how titanium works, but it won't work to just put them on the card, they need to be installed through android.

So the Gallery doesn't rotate well? Pull the Gallery from the Hero nightly build and it works.... oh wait, I'll upload it here :P If I want to flash it throgh AmoRa should I just resign it, or I have to use Clockwerk for this? Cheers!

The Gallery from the 0.2 rom should work fine. It broke after a repo sync, so I don't know what happened but it looks like a change upstream. I'm surprised the Hero nightly works.

Well the cache partition is limited, and if you have lots of apps installed it runs out of space instantly.

I meant DarkTremor a2sd, it symlinks dalvik cache to sd, so it should be easier just to enable it, instead of symlinking cache partition to sd?

I'm just shooting ideas out, if I'm wrong about something please correct me :D

The cache partition is very small which is why we don't use it. Cache goes in /data/dalvik-cache/. You would be doing well to fill that up (unless you fill it up with other stuff eg. apps).

CM6 won't boot using the cache partition. There isn't enough space to cache just the base apps from the rom.

Edited by Tom G

Thank you TOM G for the new release, you work is just amazing. now we have FROYO working on our Pulse with all important function like Bluetooth or WIFI.

Keep the good job :P

Edited by SA160N

Guest whackster
The cache partition is very small which is why we don't use it. Cache goes in /data/dalvik-cache/. You would be doing well to fill that up (unless you fill it up with other stuff eg. apps).

CM6 won't boot using the cache partition. There isn't enough space to cache just the base apps from the rom.

Well that's good to know, DT is virtually not needed anymore :P

Tom G you're doing an amazing job, keep it up!

Kudos on the work so far!

Edited by whackster

Guest starkos
I thought that might happen. Use clockwork (or remove the device check in the install script).

What's the device check? Are you referring to this part:

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "pulse" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "pulse" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "pulse" || 

getprop("ro.product.device") == "u8220" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "u8220" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "u8220" || 

getprop("ro.product.device") == "u8230" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "u8230" || getprop("ro.product.board") == "u8230");

Guest flip360

Flashed well through Clockwork Recovery, Everything is working, Manual Provider selection, Bluetooth and froyo`s A2SD :P WELL DONE MASTER TOM!

Edited by flip360

Guest hungary

I have a big problem!

Moved apps to SD with the default mover app (in settings > apps etc) but after i connect the phone with pc and mount the sd, i lost all moved apps. :P

Guest jamielockeymusic

backing up apps with titanium back up

put everything on sd some where on comp

wiping sd card and formatting sd card

putting everything back on to sd card

flash new cm6

flash gapps

download titanuim back up from market

and restore all your apps and data

thats worked for me :P taks ages though

Guest david_dawkins
When are you doing a .zip release? :P

Tom, thanks for the new release, only been 12 days since the last. Looking forward to trying it out.

Regards

Dave

Guest david_dawkins
backing up apps with titanium back up

put everything on sd some where on comp

wiping sd card and formatting sd card

putting everything back on to sd card

flash new cm6

flash gapps

download titanuim back up from market

and restore all your apps and data

thats worked for me :P taks ages though

Many thanks for this guide, I was wondering how to preserve what I've got, I think Titanium is the key thing. Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Dave

Guest Christian72D
was it titled 'dtapps2sd-2.7.5-final-std-signed' ?

Where do i get this file? Or is there another way?

Edited by Christian72D

Guest starkos
hello everyone!

im having trouble still with cm6 a2sd

would this work with us?

FroYo apps2sdext

That's what I was using with the previous release (0.2), and I plan on using it with the new release when I update later as I don't like the idea of using the fat32 partition of the sdcard for apps2sd. But if there's problems with the Froyo version it may be best waiting for an update?