CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Hi Guys just to update. I've got CM6 0.30 installed + Dark apps2SD + dalvik on SD + swapper 2 using swap file (compcache disabled), this gives about 57mb internal storage unused.

Runs great and got no real problems, only 3 minors so far are gallery rotation (already known), camera multiple shots (already known), and contacts order is always by last name.

although the system runs great I only get 2.3 in linpack, strange!

Gonna try jit in the CM6 settings next.

If anyone wants instructions of how i got this far just ask.

That would be a big YES! And please do not spare us any of the details. :P Even without a serious linpack boost, I'd like to stick with this rom and not go back to 2.1, but it is not quite doing it for me just yet.

Guest naniteboy
Hi Guys just to update. I've got CM6 0.30 installed + Dark apps2SD + dalvik on SD + swapper 2 using swap file (compcache disabled), this gives about 57mb internal storage unused.

Runs great and got no real problems, only 3 minors so far are gallery rotation (already known), camera multiple shots (already known), and contacts order is always by last name.

although the system runs great I only get 2.3 in linpack, strange!

Gonna try jit in the CM6 settings next.

If anyone wants instructions of how i got this far just ask.

Nice step-by-step instructions are always welcome :P

But about linpack score - by things you have running, you didn't mention

that you have OC kernel or active JIT- so 2.3 is quite expected value.

Yea that's basically what I did. I really don't understand why it wouldn't work for you though. Just now I downloaded the zip I posted in this thread & flashed through recovery & it was working fine? (Didn't turn compcache on to see if it reboots though)

Maybe Tom actually edited some of the kernel source files as well then..

Edit: It shouldn't be using swap partition if compcache is disabled? Have you tried rebooting after disabling it & trying free again?

My kernel includes this patch.

That is the only change.

There are known stability issues on other devices when both swap and compcache are used, so its probably best to use one or the other. Try deleting the ramzswap.ko module if you want to really disable compcache.

Edited by Tom G

Guest the1c3man

Ok here goes. I was running FLB1.6

Did a backup of my data (contacts, bookmarks, sms's, etc)

Rebooted into clockwork.

Made nandroid backup of 1.6 just on case.

Then wiped everything! factory/data, cache, and dalvik

Then flashed CM6 0.30

Then rebooted but go straight back into clockwork recovery.

Then flashed the Dark apps2sd

The rebooted again and go straight back into clockwork

Then flashed Gapps 20100930

Then reboot.

Then I turned off compcache and rebooted, then after reboot i installed swapper 2, using swap file on SD, size 64mb, swapiness 20.

Then I restored my data, contacts, etc.

The internal memory does go down when you install apps at this point because Dalvik is still on phone.

open terminal, type "su", then "a2sd cachesd", phone will reboot.

This then gives me 58mb phone storage free and this only changes very slightly up and down with use and more apps installed, and get 2.3ish in linpack.

To use jit, leave the dalvik on phone or move back, then enable jit in the cyanmod setting, reboot into clockwork, then clear dalvik! important!

Then once rebooted move the dalvik to SD again using "SU" and "a2sd cachesd" in terminal.

This then gives me 3.8ish in linpack.

A good app i use is "Quick system info", shows running process, free ram and storage, and also shows the space and used of the sd ext which i used to make sure apps where being installed there.

The only other issue I've got is that on my downloads list in the market it only shows Gmail app, but I've got loads installed???

Again a huge thanks to tom!

Edited by the1c3man

My setup:

1. Flashed CM6 0.30 and booted

2. Flashed dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3c-signed.zip

3. Flashed gapps

apps and dalvik are on SD, swap partition 32MB and compcache enabled.

No errors and no reboots :P

My setup:

1. Flashed CM6 0.30 and booted

2. Flashed dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3c-signed.zip

3. Flashed gapps

apps and dalvik are on SD, swap partition 32MB and compcache enabled.

No errors and no reboots :P

any performance benchmarks?

ta!

Guest flip360
There are known stability issues on other devices when both swap and compcache are used, so its probably best to use one or the other. Try deleting the ramzswap.ko module if you want to really disable compcache.

as i stated earlier, i made a 32MB swap partition and the rest fat on the sdcard, when i turn off compcache in settings the system doesnt read the swap, if i leave it on at default 18% it reads and fills the swap partition. Does that sound right? i am a little confused by you saying that the two shouldnt be used together :P

Edited by flip360

Guest Nuggets86

Hello,

Thank you very for your work. I appreciate it very much.

I am using Cyanogen mod on my Huawei u8230.

I got some trouble with GPS.

It doesn't work : when I open google maps GPS icon (on top of screen is missing)

Could you help me ?

I have forgotten how to create an ext 3 partition to try A2SD with the latest rom - any help?

EDIT- Found it in ROM Manager

NUGGETS86, GPS icon does not show on the bar until it gets a fix on the signal, it is most probably still searching.

Edited by AJV

Guest Nuggets86
I have forgotten how to create an ext 3 partition to try A2SD with the latest rom - any help?

NUGGETS86, GPS icon does not show on the bar until it gets a fix on the signal, it is most probably still searching.

Thank you. You are right. I went outside my home. When it got fix, it shows a notification. In previous version, an icon was displayed when it is looking for fix. Why this icon is removed ?

Guest starkos
My kernel includes this patch.

That is the only change.

Thanks for the reply Tom. Think I might still have that patch from when I was messing about when the kernel source was released :D

as i stated earlier, i made a 32MB swap partition and the rest fat on the sdcard, when i turn off compcache in settings the system doesnt read the swap, if i leave it on at default 18% it reads and fills the swap partition. Does that sound right? i am a little confused by you saying that the two shouldnt be used together :P

Both swap & compcache are recorded as swap using free. When disabling compcahce, nothing was using swap. A swap partition is just that, a partition. You still need to activate the use of it, either through CM6 settings for compcache, or for plain swap using a script (that's what I've always done), or get an app to do it for you - a lot of people talk about swapper or something. Hope that makes a little sense :D

Guest flip360

aha. :P

thanks for clearing that up starkos.

mkswap /dev/block/mmcblkp03

swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Do i use these?

is cat/proc/partitions listing the available partitions or some other command?

I dont like the swapper2 app :D

cheers

Edited by flip360

Guest impalaman
Try this boot.img, I've been using it since yesterday. It would be interesting to hear if it is different to the stock kernel as I haven't really tried it, & am currently considering going back to 0.2 as 0.3 is feeling sluggish...

Do a nand backup before trying this!

It's also possible this causes reboot problems when enabling compcache!

Edit: Forgot to attach :P

Hi starkos!

Can you made one kernel with 750 MHz max. clock?

Guest starkos
aha. :D

thanks for clearing that up starkos.

mkswap /dev/block/mmcblkp03

swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Do i use these?

is cat/proc/partitions listing the available partitions or some other command?

I dont like the swapper2 app :D

cheers

Extract the attached zip & place file (32swapon) in /system/etc/init.d/ on the phone & it will activate swap on boot.

Probably best to disable compcache first.

Only use if you have a swap partition.

If you open the file with a text editor, you can change the swappiness value.

If you do not have an external partion (ext2/3 etc), change mmcblk0p3 to mmcblk0p2

32swapon.zip

Hi starkos!

Can you made one kernel with 750 MHz max. clock?

I think it was said that the phone didn't boot past 710Mhz? Not sure though, but first I'm just going to see if I can get it to stop re-booting if compcache is enabled as if I can't it would be pointless as it seems the kernel I posted only works for me :P

Guest arlindo.costa
Extract the attached zip & place file (32swapon) in /system/etc/init.d/ on the phone & it will activate swap on boot.

Probably best to disable compcache first.

Only use if you have a swap partition.

If you open the file with a text editor, you can change the swappiness value.

If you do not have an external partion (ext2/3 etc), change mmcblk0p3 to mmcblk0p2

32swapon.zip

I think it was said that the phone didn't boot past 710Mhz? Not sure though, but first I'm just going to see if I can get it to stop re-booting if compcache is enabled as if I can't it would be pointless as it seems the kernel I posted only works for me :P

Your Kernel with OC is working well on my TMN A1.

CM6 0.3

dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3c-signed.zip

Overclocked to 710mhz

Linpack:

Guest flip360

Thanks starkos,

I repacked the rom with the script in it, deleted ramzswap.ko for no compcache ( as suggested by Tom) and added your oc image.

I have a 64Mb swap partition made with AmonRa. Is swappiness of 15 mean that some 15Mb`s of the swap is used? Works very good, it certainly is a lot snappier without compcache. It would be very nice if we could have the overclocking made into a loadable module :P

I wonder why having a swap partition is better than using compcache? Slow CPU? I believe that the MCR 1.5 rom had compcache enabled and it was working fine (i suppose :D )

Linpack:

3.114 MFLOPS (w/o JIT)

5.051 MFLOPS (with JIT)

Quadrant (full benchmark):

448 (w/o JIT)

476 (with JIT)

SetCPU:

Long Bench 8195ms (w/o JIT)

Long Bench 7383ms (with JIT)

Cheers

Edited by flip360

Guest starkos
Thanks starkos,

I repacked the rom with the script in it, deleted ramzswap.ko for no compcache ( as suggested by Tom) and added your oc image.

I have a 64Mb swap partition made with AmonRa. Is swappiness of 15 mean that some 15Mb`s of the swap is used? Works very good.

I wonder why having a swap partition better than using compcache? I believe that the MCR 1.5 rom had compcache enabled and it was working fine (i suppose :D )

So is it not rebooting for you any more & SetCpu is showing the oc speeds? I've never really understood swap/swappiness too well to be honest lol! I think a bigger number means it is more likely to swap. I also think the number may be a % of the partition :P Someone else will need to explain I think :D

Guest flip360

It is not rebooting sofar. SetCPU shws the right speeds and has ondemand scaling by default. Speedy and responsive, much more like the froyo i like :P for bench scores check my previous post :D

Edited by flip360

Guest starkos
Your Kernel with OC is working well on my TMN A1.

CM6 0.3

dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3c-signed.zip

Overclocked to 710mhz

Linpack:

Glad it is working for you. Did you have to delete ramzswap.ko like flip360 did, or did it just work with compcache disabled as it does for me?

Guest il_cholo

battery life really sucks on CM, I left my phone at 35% of battery before went to sleep (all things that can drain battery were off like gps, 3g, background data, etc), I woke up today and the phone was off, I turned it on and the battery showed 0%

damm........

Guest starkos
The 710 MHz kernel works for me without any problems, i just disabled the compcache.

Same as me then. Interesting how it hasn't worked for others though :P