CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Guest totiadrenalin
hi toti, what is the multitasking app you are using?

Also would like to agree that froyo`s a2sd works normally i dont know why we should use DT a2sd anymore.

i added starkos swapon script to init.d and its recognized alongside compcache, i dont know if its acting as backing swap but no more lockups and the phone runs beautifully.

cheers

Multitasking app?

No...!!!

I just modify the querty.kl file

so that key 232, instead DPAD_CENTER button, I adjust it be my HOME button.

And so when you stick to dpad_center, I mean when I press and hold the scroller. A popup with recent applications is appearing.

Guest totiadrenalin
hi toti, what is the multitasking app you are using?

Also would like to agree that froyo`s a2sd works normally i dont know why we should use DT a2sd anymore.

i added starkos swapon script to init.d and its recognized alongside compcache, i dont know if its acting as backing swap but no more lockups and the phone runs beautifully.

cheers

And it is acting like Linux swap.

That's even better.

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest flip360
Multitasking app?

No...!!!

I just modify the querty.kl file

so that key 232, instead DPAD_CENTER button, I adjust it be my HOME button.

And so when you stick to dpad_center, I mean when I press and hold the scroller. A popup with recent applications is appearing.

no more dpad click then? how do you get on recovery menus and keyboards? i am using an app for the recent apps menu would really like to have that instead of an app. The assigned recent apps meny in cyan`s settings does nothing.

cheers

Edited by flip360

Guest starkos
no more dpad click then? how do you get on recovery menus and keyboards? i am using an app for the recent apps menu would really like to have that instead of an app. The assigned recent apps meny in cyan`s settings does nothing.

cheers

The CyanogenMod settings control the menu you saw in the video, we just don't have a dedicated home button by default. If you go to page 34 in this thread you will find a custom key mapping by me & on page 35 one by Epic-Emodude (whose you may prefer if you use the roller ball as a select/button a lot).

Ps: These only effect the phone once booted, recovery remains as is..

Edited by starkos

Guest totiadrenalin
The CyanogenMod setting's controls the menu you saw in the menu, we just don't have a dedicated home button by default. If you go to page 34 in this thread you will find a custom key mapping by me & on page 35 one by Epic-Emodude (whose you may prefer if you use the roller ball as a select/button a lot).

Ps: These only effect the phone once booted, recovery remains as is..

I still can sellect with the dpad in recovery menu.

Guest totiadrenalin
Thanks guys :P

So what's the point with the home button?

Well.

Pulse do have dedicated home button.

Long press back.

Key 102.

But where is the problem?

Why can't we use it for recent used applications?

Ha?!

The point is in the key 250.

Press down.

And key 158.

when we release the back button.

So first when we press the back button we innit the key 250.

and then if we hold the back button then we innit the key 102, which is our home button.

And if we release the back button we innit the key 158, which is used as back button.

in querty.kl you can't see the key 250, because it's not in use.

But this is our first problem.

and when we release the back button we innit the key 158, which is our biggest problem.

Even if the home button (key 102) brings up the recent used applications. when you release the back button they will disappear.

So that's why I set the dpad_center button - key 232 as home button.

And no problems.

Only in case if the touchscreen is broken, then the dpad_center button will be useful.

I was thinking what is the most unused button by me.

And I came up with the key 232 - DPAD_CENTER

Best Regards

TOTI

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest rulerofkaos

I'm using the red button as home, so long press shows the recent apps, and long press back for quitting a call.

Edited by rulerofkaos

Guest BenIsaacs

It may already have been covered, but will one day the CyanogenMod 6 Port have the 2.6.32 kernel upgrade, I think the ROM for the HTC Dream has it. Does the kernel affect things such as wi-fi tethering or not. Also is the CyanogenMod the 'stock' Android 2.2. experience or not. Some people just want the stock experience.

Good work to all of the people involved,

Ben

Guest starkos
i flashed starkos`s keymap and now i have recent apps on the center pad with long press :P

the home/back button is now google search?

Yea holding back will now open search, when in an app though & it has search features it will open that instead, try it in root explorer or the browser. I also have now used the spare parts app to set red button to sleep. It's probably not to everyone's liking but now I'm used to my key layout I couldn't imagine it any different :D !

Guest karlosoliveira

at this moment, CM6 works great!

at 528 CM6 seems a bit laggy.

oc710 make reboots after play with the phone for a while and switch to oc691 but dont have done a stress test at this speed to evaluate the stability.

have compcache,swap,jit, everything on.

the battery drain havent evaluate yet.

good job :P

Can anyone tell me if CM6 0.30 makes the OS feel more fluid and fast than FLB 1.7? Right now the phone is.... stubborn to say at best. Sometimes it goes very fast and well, but many other times it starts freezing, slowing down, throwing error messages, etc. FLB 1.7 is nice, but it is far from being a consistent experience. 3 out of 10 times, I can't get my phone to do what I want as fast as I should.

Does the CM6 improve things? The only reason I haven't tried yet is because I dislike updating the OS/ROM on every ocassion that a new version is out, and I was sort of waiting for the next CM6 beta to jump on the bandwagon.. but if user experience is positive, I might do an early update.

Another question: I currently OC the phone to 691. Should I run a stress test to see whether this is the cause of the random freezes/error messages, or could it be something to do with A2SD/EXT3/SWAP? I mean, is it normal to have almost 30% of the time random freezes and slowdowns? Should I lower the OC level to another number?

Guest totiadrenalin
Can anyone tell me if CM6 0.30 makes the OS feel more fluid and fast than FLB 1.7? Right now the phone is.... stubborn to say at best. Sometimes it goes very fast and well, but many other times it starts freezing, slowing down, throwing error messages, etc. FLB 1.7 is nice, but it is far from being a consistent experience. 3 out of 10 times, I can't get my phone to do what I want as fast as I should.

Does the CM6 improve things? The only reason I haven't tried yet is because I dislike updating the OS/ROM on every ocassion that a new version is out, and I was sort of waiting for the next CM6 beta to jump on the bandwagon.. but if user experience is positive, I might do an early update.

Another question: I currently OC the phone to 691. Should I run a stress test to see whether this is the cause of the random freezes/error messages, or could it be something to do with A2SD/EXT3/SWAP? I mean, is it normal to have almost 30% of the time random freezes and slowdowns? Should I lower the OC level to another number?

Well?

First of all.

The new stuffs here on CM6.1 beta 030 are :

Better user interface.

the compcache

A beat speedup

Integrated froyo aps2sd.

and decreasing of the battery life.

the last one is not good.

also I guess that you won't be able to use the standard DTa2sd.

there are other possibility to move the apps to /sd-ext, but not the standard way, by typing a2sd install, or a2sd cachesd

Because the a2sd service doesn't start in boot time.

The EXT partition is still mounted, so you can use it.

About the CPU clock speed?

Well first if the scaling_governor is set to ondemand, then the cpu freq will vary from scaling_min_freq to scaling_max_freq.

for example from 245MhZ to 691MhZ.

But when some app is loading the CPU or even overloading it, then the CPU frequency will stick to the max frequency.

If the CPU frequency is to high, that's not good at all.

Because mostly of the time the CPU will work for nothing, and just literally eat the battery.

Well?

First of all.

The new stuffs here on CM6.1 beta 030 are :

Better user interface.

the compcache

A beat speedup

Integrated froyo aps2sd.

and decreasing of the battery life.

the last one is not good.

there are other possibility to move the apps to /sd-ext, but not the standard way, by typing a2sd install, or a2sd cachesd

Because the a2sd service doesn't start in boot time.

The EXT partition is still mounted, so you can use it.

About the CPU clock speed?

Well first if the scaling_governor is set to ondemand, then the cpu freq will vary from scaling_min_freq to scaling_max_freq.

for example from 245MhZ to 691MhZ.

But when some app is loading the CPU or even overloading it, then the CPU frequency will stick to the max frequency.

If the CPU frequency is to high, that's not good at all.

Because mostly of the time the CPU will work for nothing, and just literally eat the battery.

Thank you for your information... So can I add one more q?

Is the noted speed upgrade significant? For example, does it finally make the phone good enough for everyday use? One of my biggest problems with Pulse is that both the stock ROM as well as the FLB mod are actually 'slow'. The phone at no points feels 'fast' enough for every day use: there are lock ups, lags in changing screens, delays in bringing up settings or going into various modes of the phone. In general, it is an experience that requires patience rather than a painless one.

Does 2.2 / CM6 solve that? If yes, then it is totally worth the battery decrease.

I read that devices like Desire, Nexus, or even the Hero see a huge increase in performance by going to 2.2/CM6. Is this the case with the Pulse? Will the improvement be something noticeable, or am I better of staying on FLB for the time being and until the betas are tested for CM6?

??? Please help me understand why that is true. I know there are many of us who are using DT A2SD, me included, so I don't know why that person couldn't. I want to understand how you reached that conclusion.

Hello,

i get the following error when i try to flash the 0.30 froyo beta

assert failled: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img". "boot")

e:/error in /sdcard/cm6.1-rc0-pulse-beta-0.30.zip

(status 7)

installation aborted.

checked the zip file on sd-card, 7zip tell me no crc error!

when i flash v 0.20 through fastboot everything work fine...

how i get an fastboot-version for 0.30 ?

does i need anything before i flash to 0.30

step:

- i have a new pulse phone (change from t-mobile)

- now i have flashed the 1.5 firmware to 2.1 uk

- now i boot recovery clock mod 2.5.0.4

- now i will flash pulse 0.30 froyo --- error --- see message above

"also I guess that you won't be able to use the standard DTa2sd."

It's not true. :P I find out what is the problem: CM6 and GApps together is too big, there's no place left in system to flash successfully the Darktremor script.

I deleted some unneeded apps from CM6 (calculator, and more) and GApps package (Maps, office app) aswell, these are replaceable and installable from Market.

After this my setup is the following (DO A NAND BACKUP BEFORE):

1. CM6 0.3 flash

2. GApps flash

3. OC bootimage flash (690/614 version)

4. Rebooting, and wait for the new system installs itself!!! It's neccessary for working Darktremor setup!

5. Reboot into Recovery, do a nand backup again (for safety), and

6. Flash the latest Darktremor!

7. Reboot phone. Darktremor installs itself, so after this boot every programs installing and running from SD-EXT. :D

With this metod I managed the fully working APP2SD, Dalvik on SD, SWAP, etc., every DT feature is working.

SWAP partition is automagically activated, working together with Compcache, no reboots!

But I switched off Compcache, it's little slowing the phone sometimes for me.

And one important thing!!!! Only EXT2 format SD-EXT partiton is supported! I had EXT3, so I reformat my SD-EXT under Ubuntu (simply attach the phone with USB Storage), so don't need the full SD repartitioning.

I have more than 60 MB free space left on phone with tons of installed apps, every program run from SD regardless froyofat settings, Dalvik too. Stable and fast.

Krinyo

nice writeup krinyo - if you install using tinygapps.zip, then you wont have to uninstall maps etc as they are not included in that rom

Good point, but I start from what I had. :P And I deleted some other unneeded things too, like Amazon MP3, which sit in memory all the time, or Calculator, couse I'm using RealCalc... :D

Edited by Krinyo