15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest Sanfrannoob

Currently stuck at the first hurdle, as I am unable to download the 2.5.0/9 r2 ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade file. Please could someone provide a link to a working download?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Currently stuck at the first hurdle, as I am unable to download the 2.5.0/9 r2 ClockworkMod Recovery for ZTE Blade file. Please could someone provide a link to a working download?

The link in the Stage 1 of the first thread works at the current time of me posting.

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...co-r2-blade.img

Sometimes MoDaCo can (rarly) be down/down, but its been ok for me today

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
I just had to register as a user to say a massive thankyou. I read quite a bit about doing this & am pretty proficient with I.T. in general (only windows though!) and until I found this site & your thread, wasn't too sure if this was for me. This is my first Android, followed your instructions to the word & it worked perfectly.

Thanks again to you and everyone else involved.

It was my first native android too B) (my first was a nand flashed Tytn II)

Guest Sanfrannoob
The link in the Stage 1 of the first thread works at the current time of me posting.

http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.p...co-r2-blade.img

Sometimes MoDaCo can (rarly) be down/down, but its been ok for me today

Thanks.

Just tried again and I am having the same problem. I am downloading the file and then trying to extract it with an evaluation copy of WinZip and it reports the following: Error: WinZip only supports IMG files that are in the ISO format.

Am I missing something really simple here?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks.

Just tried again and I am having the same problem. I am downloading the file and then trying to extract it with an evaluation copy of WinZip and it reports the following: Error: WinZip only supports IMG files that are in the ISO format.

Am I missing something really simple here?

You don't have to extract it - its a IMG file of the Recovery Image that needs to be passed to the fastboot-windows program to be copied onto the recovery part of your device.

Just make sure that the file has the same md5sum checksum that is shown on the first post.

This ensures that the file has downloaded correctly and is perfect.

Guest StevenHarperUK
hey guys if i can do it half asleep at 2AM, and im 16 , i think anyone can do it really

2AM is when I am at my best B)

Well done thou - which OS were you on?

Guest Sanfrannoob
You don't have to extract it - its a IMG file of the Recovery Image that needs to be passed to the fastboot-windows program to be copied onto the recovery part of your device.

Just make sure that the file has the same md5sum checksum that is shown on the first post.

This ensures that the file has downloaded correctly and is perfect.

Thanks very much, will do and will post again when I have finished

Guest Sanfrannoob
Thanks very much, will do and will post again when I have finished

I have completed stages 1, 2 and the tidying up installing the MoDaCo r4 ROM, thanks for the help with this.

I am now having a few glitches and I'm not sure that this is the best place to post them but hopefully you might be able to help:

I have a constant symbol with the message "preparing SD card Checking for errors" that won't go away;

Task manager forces a close when I attempt to access "resource";

Phone seems very sluggish to respond;

Hopefully this is an easy fix?

Guest goldndelicious

could i make a request???

Could someone be kind enough to actually record a video of the whole process and put it on youtube to give a full visual of what goes on? even if it is just using a camera (rather than fancy screen grabbing etc) just to show all the steps and what they look like?

I'm yet to own this phone but will be purchasing in the next few weeks. I really want to put a custom ROM on it, but just want to get as much research done as possible.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have completed stages 1, 2 and the tidying up installing the MoDaCo r4 ROM, thanks for the help with this.

I am now having a few glitches and I'm not sure that this is the best place to post them but hopefully you might be able to help:

I have a constant symbol with the message "preparing SD card Checking for errors" that won't go away;

Task manager forces a close when I attempt to access "resource";

Phone seems very sluggish to respond;

Hopefully this is an easy fix?

Sounds like you may have a dodgy SD Card - have you tried the phone with no SD card in.

Guest Polythene

I'm hoping this thread will be usefull for me tomorrow when i get my Blade (still cant decide i'f i'm calling it the blade or SF B))

What is the best ROM to use on my first attempt? the 'r4'

Guest Polythene

It says in the guide that it is a good idea to let your Orange sim card register first. Does this matter if you have unlocked the phone and have a different network SIM?

Guest StevenHarperUK
It says in the guide that it is a good idea to let your Orange sim card register first. Does this matter if you have unlocked the phone and have a different network SIM?

I remember seeing a post on this forum about why you should do this. I also remembering at the time to add it to the Guide.

However I can't remember why...

Anyone know/remember?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Considering my Orange Sim wont be here for another few days, that is quite annoying B)

TBH I can't see anything being a problem - I have some internal knowledge on the SIM registration and there is no reason it should be a problem.

Guest Polythene
TBH I can't see anything being a problem - I have some internal knowledge on the SIM registration and there is no reason it should be a problem.

That's good to hear. None of the other guides i have looked at mention registering the sim first! Indeed many of them assume an orange sim will never go near the thing B)

My phone should be here in the next 20 minutes! Excited!

Guest Libroid

Hi Steven. I guess you are the same person who develops Android for N900 - Nitdroid project. I have to admit you are doing great job mate and thanks for your contributions.

Now question.

People say one of the reason why SF does not support Flash, as it has got only 600mhz processor. But Nokia N900 got 600mhz processor as well and ported Nitdroid supports Flash 10.1. How is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

Guest The-One
Hi Steven. I guess you are the same person who develops Android for N900 - Nitdroid project. I have to admit you are doing great job mate and thanks for your contributions.

Now question.

People say one of the reason why SF does not support Flash, as it has got only 600mhz processor. But Nokia N900 got 600mhz processor as well and ported Nitdroid supports Flash 10.1. How is that possible?

Thanks in advance.

Despite the same mhz they have different cpus.

The flash not running on our arm is not the mhz fault.. its the architecture fault.

Guest FrankieADZ

Right was wondering if anyone would be able to help me..?

i installed clockwork and the MoDaCo rom r4, (Its in the tab for build number) is that correct?

thanks B)

*I think I did it right,

anyone got any tips on how to get the best out of it?

im sorry, im new to android,

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest StevenHarperUK
Right was wondering if anyone would be able to help me..?

i installed clockwork and the MoDaCo rom r4, (Its in the tab for build number) is that correct?

thanks B)

*I think I did it right,

anyone got any tips on how to get the best out of it?

im sorry, im new to android,

Sound like all is well for you.

Have you upped the VM Memory - bottom of the guide.

Also remember to try your MENU button in most apps thats how you get to setting, also holding the MENU button hides / shows your keyboard.

Otherwise try some of the apps out - personally I find Handcent SMS a must, but you judge for yourself.

Hi just registered to thank you for the awesome guide, certainly makes things allot easier!

However I am having an issue with setting up my SF with the CWM...

I have successfully followed everything from stage 1 up until i try to restart the phone into the CWM menu. All i get is the green android dude, exactly the same as if I held down the volume up button... I have tried using quick boot (which has 3 options?) to load recovery but the same thing happens.

I see a few other people have had a similar issue but there is no description of exactly how they remedied this issue?

thanks for any help!