15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest BEKO-86

Got my phone today in less than two hours, sim unlocked for free first time (didnt bother with orange sim), and phone rooted/R4 on there. All that whilst feeding my 11 month old inbetween steps lol

All I can say is kudos, excellent forum and excellent guides.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I have successfully followed everything from stage 1 up until i try to restart the phone into the CWM menu.

thanks for any help!

I suggest re-doing the Step 1 again + re-download the .img

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
thx for the tutorial!

everything works fine (I'm using MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 on my Orange SanFran)

cheers mate

Pleasure. Great to see another user with their first post being in my thread :-)

I suggest re-doing the Step 1 again + re-download the .img

So i did a few things and managed to get this resolved, thanks again for the great guide man.

Here a list of things i did, all at the same time, so i dont know which one fixed the issue.

> re downloaded the .img (clockwork)

> reformatted my SD card (had been used in another phone) to FAT32

> used different USB port

> double checked that the SD card was on auto mount and that USB debugging was on

It worked all fine and dandy after this.

Guest StevenHarperUK
So i did a few things and managed to get this resolved, thanks again for the great guide man.

Here a list of things i did, all at the same time, so i dont know which one fixed the issue.

> double checked that the SD card was on auto mount and that USB debugging was on

Great I am sure others will find this helpful

I think I may add a troubleshooting section tomorrow.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Great I am sure others will find this helpful

I think I may add a troubleshooting section tomorrow.

Guest papatangoalpha

Brilliant stuff for an utter newbie. My first Android phone and I have managed (with a couple of hours of my effort and a lot of yours) to root and install Sebastian's Orange-free ROM. Works like a charm.

I'd shake your hand if I could, sir... Cheers!

Guest rayraven

@StevenHarper,

Can you add in your guide an alternative to install clockwork?

Instead of connecting to the pc, i installed a terminal emulator app[after rooted ofcourse] and did the below:

su

flash_image recovery /sdcard/recoveryCW.img

reboot recovery

I had the clockwork image on my sd card as recoveryCW.img.

That got clockwork installed, then i downloaded the FLB 2.2 and installed it.

All from the phone.

Cheers,

Guest RoccoSiffredi

I had the waiting for device issue some have had - make sure you root the handset with Universal Androot Root App.

Edited by RoccoSiffredi

Guest RoccoSiffredi

I've had no end of issues with Android market. I have installed all the different versions of 2.2. I installed the stock image, entered by network settings and bang, could download from Android Market straight away. There are so many people having issues downloading from Android Market here and on other fourms. Custom Roms might look better but this is a major bug and needs to be fixed.

Guest goldndelicious

Thank you for this guide.

Just to say i followed it step by step and everything worked pretty much first time.

I installed the FLB froyo ROM and didn't really have any problems (initial problem with market - i could connect but couldn't download anything, but after resetting factory settings it all works smoothly)

Thanks!

Guest StevenHarperUK
can i ask a few questions...

to do this, do you need to root it

and...

what is the difference between doing this and the superboot root as paul described

that step was once in this Guide. However the installation of any Rom updates and rewites over that step. So its not needed.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you for this guide.

Just to say i followed it step by step and everything worked pretty much first time.

I installed the FLB froyo ROM and didn't really have any problems (initial problem with market - i could connect but couldn't download anything, but after resetting factory settings it all works smoothly)

Thanks!

Yes it seems to be a major niggle with 2.2 - it either works or it does'nt.

that step was once in this Guide. However the installation of any Rom updates and rewites over that step. So its not needed.

one more q

does that mean it is rooted?

sorry for my stupidness

im a noob...

Guest strumluff

Does any of the custom roms available for the Blade have the ability to let you set a proxy for a wifi connection? I've been searching around but can't find an answer.

It's weird how this isn't even a feature of the OS at all, there's got to be some way of doing this as most organisations use a proxy!!

Guest scoobydoo99
Will add more things - please suggest some

How about something around rooting, appreciate it's been sort of covered, but most of the guides assume a certain level of knowledge - I've had my Pulse for a year now, rooted it, installed a few roms, and I still can't quite get my head around it.

For example...

Some of the roms in the table you've done say their rooted - does that mean the phone has to be rooted before they can be installed, or is the phone rooted by installing the 'rooted' rom?

I installed Seb's 404 rom, but it isn't rooted - why is this different to the rooted roms?

So if my Blade, fitted with the 404 rom isn't rooted - what can't I do? examples would be good.

Edited by scoobydoo99

Guest StevenHarperUK
How about something around rooting, appreciate it's been sort of covered, but most of the guides assume a certain level of knowledge - I've had my Pulse for a year now, rooted it, installed a few roms, and I still can't quite get my head around it.

For example...

Some of the roms in the table you've done say their rooted - does that mean the phone has to be rooted before they can be installed, or is the phone rooted by installing the 'rooted' rom?

I installed Seb's 404 rom, but it isn't rooted - why is this different to the rooted roms?

So if my Blade, fitted with the 404 rom isn't rooted - what can't I do? examples would be good.

Rooted means that the Super user program has been installed and added into the system partition of the Phone

The program lives in /system/bin/su and has a link in the App Drawer on your phone.

ROMs that are rooted have the file and the link, ROOT is used to run programs as Super User, once they have these rights they can Change and Read files that are normally protected from APK's (normal Programs from the Market)

When you start an App that requires superuser, superuser will ask you to either Grant or Deny the access.

You can ADD Super User (root your device) by downloading and installing a special APK.

Info here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598

http://blog.23corner.com/tag/universalandroot/

http://blog.23corner.com/2010/08/30/univer...ta-5/#more-4077

Download

http://bit.ly/9wAKC5

p.s. Updated the Guide with this info

Guest SP@SanFran

Many Thanks.. Followed process...One happy SF Phone user.

Quick question does any one know how to solve the following under "about phone -> Status Mobile network State "Disconnected"

Edited by SP@SanFran