15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

If you use this guide and it works, please give me a post so I can see that it's doing it's job and also so that it stays near the top of the fourm.

It is a great work, I learne more about the rooting and installing the new custom ROM, thank you so much, i will reserve this post for further study.

Guest StevenHarperUK

HUGE UPDATE

2nd December - Added Customised BladeVillain 1.1.0 RLS2 provided by freekers

2nd December - Updated MoDaCo Custom Froyo Alpha 2 - Alpha 3 in Kitchen

2nd December - Added Finnish Fillyjonk RLS1 provided by kallt_kaffe

2nd December - Updated Hungarian Hedgehog RLS2

Guest StevenHarperUK

Update

Hi Everyone - I feel that I need to warn users about some people having problems with clockwork 2.5.1.3

I have reverted the guide to suggesting you use 2.5.0.9

The Latest Clockwork is causing some users problems.

This is no disrespect - I just feel that its best that new users try with the most stable version available.

Guest gambieter

Steve, I think there is a mistake in the list of Eclair ROMs. The BladeVillain 1.1.0 ROM is based on the Hungarian ROM, and has the option to switch off mobile data in the Settings; something lacking in the French ROM.

In Freekers Customised BladeVillain you do list it correctly, and this is only a customisation ;)

Edited by gambieter

Hi

Just want to say a huge thank you for this guide. I had absolutely no experience of this sort of thing before but now running the modaco r4 rom.

I had a few problems though, i followed the advice and used ubuntu but when i got to the end of stage one it wouldnt recognise that the phone was plugged in so wouldnt reboot. I got round this by using windows for stage one ( after lots of hassles with loading drivers and 'wating for device' messages)and ubuntu for stage two.

Im now going to have a look around the forums to figure out what to change next!!!

thanks again.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi

Just want to say a huge thank you for this guide. I had absolutely no experience of this sort of thing before but now running the modaco r4 rom.

I had a few problems though, i followed the advice and used ubuntu but when i got to the end of stage one it wouldnt recognise that the phone was plugged in so wouldnt reboot. I got round this by using windows for stage one ( after lots of hassles with loading drivers and 'wating for device' messages)and ubuntu for stage two.

Im now going to have a look around the forums to figure out what to change next!!!

thanks again.

Which version of Clockwork did you use?

2.5.0.9 or 2.5.1.3

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

6th December - Added Warning for users with TFT Screens

Please Post if you have any Successes with TFT Phones - Don't consider trying it unless you REALLY know what your doing

Guest The Soup Thief
Latest Update

6th December - Added Warning for users with TFT Screens

Please Post if you have any Successes with TFT Phones - Don't consider trying it unless you REALLY know what your doing

Hi

My brother tried to install FLB froyo on a fresh-out-of-the-box TFT screened (grey) sanfrancisco yesterday

Didn't go at all well initially, getting locked into a reboot cycle

Cleared the cache and factory settings in clockwork and reinstalled FLB froyo and it went ahead and booted up happily

Seems quite stable at this point

Just our experience though - others may vary...

Latest Update

6th December - Updated Warning about TFT, Added TFT COMPATIBLE to the Table of ROMS

All being well if the ROMS are updated to the TFT kernel they will work with all types of Blade.

Guest cartierv
Update

Hi Everyone - I feel that I need to warn users about some people having problems with clockwork 2.5.1.3

I have reverted the guide to suggesting you use 2.5.0.9

The Latest Clockwork is causing some users problems.

This is no disrespect - I just feel that its best that new users try with the most stable version available.

Many thanks for the detailed guide.. this is something I was looking for here.

Btw the link to the older Clockwork downloads as text not an image; i.e as garbage... any chance of getting that fixed ? Cheers

Edited by cartierv

Hello,

Newbie here :P

Just bought my ZTE Blade (Optimus San Francisco - Portugal), and updated to 2.2 with the rom found here (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-android-2-2-froyo-on-zte-blade-orange-san-francisco/)

Quite some bugs, including rooting not allways working, screen dpi's 160, and can't install flash 10.1.

I now realize that maybe that's not the best rom to use... because I found this thread ;)

Can you plz advise me on what ROM to use? What are the benefits? What's the best? I want the rom already rooted and size 240

ps:

2 aditional questions:

* there are some apps that I don't want, like google talk, and I Can't install them... how to fix that!?

* to move cards to SD card, i need APPS 2 SD, or it's just native with 2.2?

many txs!

himem

Guest StevenHarperUK
Many thanks for the detailed guide.. this is something I was looking for here.

Btw the link to the older Clockwork downloads as text not an image; i.e as garbage... any chance of getting that fixed ? Cheers

For now right click and use SAVE AS

Edit : your right thats broken : guide updated - not a direct link any more

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hello,

Newbie here :P

Just bought my ZTE Blade (Optimus San Francisco - Portugal), and updated to 2.2 with the rom found here (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-android-2-2-froyo-on-zte-blade-orange-san-francisco/)

Quite some bugs, including rooting not allways working, screen dpi's 160, and can't install flash 10.1.

I now realize that maybe that's not the best rom to use... because I found this thread ;)

Can you plz advise me on what ROM to use? What are the benefits? What's the best? I want the rom already rooted and size 240

ps:

2 aditional questions:

* there are some apps that I don't want, like google talk, and I Can't install them... how to fix that!?

* to move cards to SD card, i need APPS 2 SD, or it's just native with 2.2?

many txs!

himem

The latest ORANGE UK TFT phone is the one that is having problems with exisiting ROMS.

If the 2.2 is working good for you (the screen works etc) then your ok.

You can Root any Current ROM with the universal ROOT tool, so don't let that restrict you.

You have 3 choices for removing apps you dont want

1. Use titanium Backup to remove them

2. Use ANdroid Commander t remove them

3. Unzip the ROM BEFORE you flash and delete the /system/apps/*.apk s you dont want.

I cant suggest what ROM s good for you sorry.

BTW the ARM6 chip in your phone will not run full Flash - you can run Flash lite on most of the 2.1 ROMS

The latest ORANGE UK TFT phone is the one that is having problems with exisiting ROMS.

If the 2.2 is working good for you (the screen works etc) then your ok.

You can Root any Current ROM with the universal ROOT tool, so don't let that restrict you.

You have 3 choices for removing apps you dont want

1. Use titanium Backup to remove them

2. Use ANdroid Commander t remove them

3. Unzip the ROM BEFORE you flash and delete the /system/apps/*.apk s you dont want.

I cant suggest what ROM s good for you sorry.

BTW the ARM6 chip in your phone will not run full Flash - you can run Flash lite on most of the 2.1 ROMS

txs for the tips.

I installed Universal Androot, is the same that universal ROOT tool? because it's not working OK... I have to keep rooting it, and sometimes it fails.

Every time i try to download Flash Player 10.1 from market, like AppBrain, i get the error "the requested item could not be found". Any tips on this?

I'll try the apps to remove programs... txs!

anyone to suggest a ROM ? ;)

cheers,

HiMem