15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest zillfish

I thoroughly messed up my phone, and struggled for a week trying to repair it with info from these forums, but was ready to give up.

My phone has now been fixed thanks to the personal intervention of stevenharperuk, who patiently guided me to a solution. brilliant bloke!

Guest zillfish

I followed guide but not carefully enough. made a right b***ls of it!.

Worked through forum solutions for a week and got nowhere despite help from various members, (thanks to paul, lonegunman, hecatae, and stevenharperuk), sorry if I've missed anybody.

Couldn't get pc to see phone at all, I thought it was a dead loss.

Then stevenharperuk took control and talked me through from scratch, and back to a working phone.

Clever bloke, and patient, thanks a lot. you saved my .bacon

Guest StevenHarperUK
I followed guide but not carefully enough. made a right b***ls of it!.

Worked through forum solutions for a week and got nowhere despite help from various members, (thanks to paul, lonegunman, hecatae, and stevenharperuk), sorry if I've missed anybody.

Couldn't get pc to see phone at all, I thought it was a dead loss.

Then stevenharperuk took control and talked me through from scratch, and back to a working phone.

Clever bloke, and patient, thanks a lot. you saved my .bacon

:)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Out if interest how many people have used windows to do the flashing?

Any instructions I should update / change (maybe "open a Command prompt" is needed rather than terminal)

Thought i'd give it a go and thought it went great flashing the 2.2 alpha3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip until i rebooted the phone and it goes past the green android screen but then gets stuck at the modaco logo screen for so many seconds then flicks off and back to the same screen. Have i done something wrong and do i need to repeat the process?

I'm new to this malarkey and predictably i didn't ^^

Thanks for taking the time and replying :) just redone it with wiping data and cache and it still did it and thought i was screwed lol but it booted up fine after 30secs.

Looking good so far and thanks again for helping :)

Guest StevenHarperUK
I'm new to this malarkey and predictably i didn't ^^

Thanks for taking the time and replying :) just redone it with wiping data and cache and it still did it and thought i was screwed lol but it booted up fine after 30secs.

Looking good so far and thanks again for helping :)

Maybe making the wipe instruction (when changing ROMS) more prominent might be good

Thanks for a great noob help :)

Installed Clockwork yesterday and today its time for a rom.

But what i miss (or have not found) is a sumup of what i can do in clockwork and how i should save my dump of original rom done in clockwork so i can use it if something happens.

Again thanks for a great thread :)

/Erik

Guest matlock

Hi

Just installed Clockwork and the MoDaCO custom rom using the guide with no problems (good guide).

My question is regarding the memory.

Setting / sd Card USB mass stairage and phone storage - the internal phone memory available space is 164mb

Also in titantium backup Internal shows 218mb (171mb free)

is this normal, I had not installed any big apps

Where the 300mb or so making it 512mb?

Help/explanation would be appreciated.

Mat

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for a great noob help :)

Installed Clockwork yesterday and today its time for a rom.

But what i miss (or have not found) is a sumup of what i can do in clockwork and how i should save my dump of original rom done in clockwork so i can use it if something happens.

Again thanks for a great thread :)

/Erik

Ok to backup (a full nandroid backup) you simply choose backup from clockwork

This creates a backup in the Clockwork directory on your SD card (it will be big)

Restoring is done via clockwork

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi

Just installed Clockwork and the MoDaCO custom rom using the guide with no problems (good guide).

My question is regarding the memory.

Setting / sd Card USB mass stairage and phone storage - the internal phone memory available space is 164mb

Also in titantium backup Internal shows 218mb (171mb free)

is this normal, I had not installed any big apps

Where the 300mb or so making it 512mb?

Help/explanation would be appreciated.

Mat

Internal 164MB is how much space you have to install APPS on the Phone

This is pretty normal - the reason Android 2.2 implemented Moving APPS to your SD card is because it was quickly realised that we need to be able to use the SD card to have apps.

The 512MB is the amount of RAM on the device (memory) not storage.

The RADIO is a mini OS that deals with phone calls and SMS this uses some ram

The Android system and the kernel uses the rest, leaving you 300MB.

There are solutions to installing your apps on SD in 2.1 but they are VERY fiddly.

I would recommended the Alpha 3-4 and use the default feature to move APPS that support it to SD. You can also install MOVE2SD to allow you to move ANY app to the SD card.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

16th December - Added instuctions on backing up in clockwork - made the clear cache and factory reset more prominant, added command windows as a windowns alternative

Successfully followed the guide last night. Many thanks for the time you've put in on it.

Couple of suggestions?

1. Complete noobs - like me (even though I've been using Linux for years Android is new) - could do well to start with a guide to the basic Android principles. The one at http://www.androidguide.co.uk/guide/android-basics was immensely helpful.

2. A note that the first thing after flashing some ROMs (in my case Customised BladeVillain 1.1.0 RLS4) is a demand that you unlock your phone. Scared the hell out of me because I wasn't ready for it, though it wasn't difficult to sort.

3. Picky one - "I HIGHLY recommend that you fully read the 2 posts linked to in the three steps." Presumably that should be TWO steps now?

All in all great work Steve - this should be pinned (or has that already been said? :-) )

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

16th December - Updated r7 de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade - now TFT/OLE - but a Wipe is needed when upgrading from r6 - great work Sebastian

Guest StevenHarperUK
Successfully followed the guide last night. Many thanks for the time you've put in on it.

Couple of suggestions?

1. Complete noobs - like me (even though I've been using Linux for years Android is new) - could do well to start with a guide to the basic Android principles. The one at http://www.androidguide.co.uk/guide/android-basics was immensely helpful.

2. A note that the first thing after flashing some ROMs (in my case Customised BladeVillain 1.1.0 RLS4) is a demand that you unlock your phone. Scared the hell out of me because I wasn't ready for it, though it wasn't difficult to sort.

3. Picky one - "I HIGHLY recommend that you fully read the 2 posts linked to in the three steps." Presumably that should be TWO steps now?

All in all great work Steve - this should be pinned (or has that already been said? :-) )

1. Adding that to my guide as background reading - very hand page

2. What do you mean unlock the phone - unlock it from being on one network?

3. Yeh fixing!

Had a Poll about pinning; was voted on hundreds of times (in favor) nothing happened; so closed it.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest Arr Too
Had a Poll about pinning; was voted on hundreds of times (in favor) nothing happened; so closed it.

I think you might have more luck if you PM one of our friendly moderators (BigBearMDC maybe, since he seems quite active in this forum).

Fantastic work Mate! I used your guide to install VillanRom 1.1 on my ZTE and am very pleased with the results.

I'm currently looking for themes for the VillianRom 1.1.0 and am not able to find many. I have been to VillanRom webste and could only find one which did not excite me. Would you by any chance know if I could use themes from other ROM on the VillanRom?