15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Fantastic work Mate! I used your guide to install VillanRom 1.1 on my ZTE and am very pleased with the results.

I'm currently looking for themes for the VillianRom 1.1.0 and am not able to find many. I have been to VillanRom webste and could only find one which did not excite me. Would you by any chance know if I could use themes from other ROM on the VillanRom?

I assume these may work : http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...ork-factory-v2/

Ask on the thread first : also do a nandroid (clockwork) backup before you flash the update.zip - so if it all goes wrong you can go back.

Guest goldengate

Noobie here - I followed this guide successfully today and would just like to thank the original author of this post ;)

Heres a Few tips though on where a windows boy like me got stuck, maybe could be made even more simpler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"QUOTE: You can get a free md5sum utility here

http://www.md5summer.org/download.html

Download the COMMAND LINE one http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip

And place the extracted files in the fastboot directory (when you make it on your desktop)"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I first downloaded a file from the 1st link, then a different file from the 2nd link and then got lost. :)

Maybe easier if this bit is re-written for Joe Bloggs like me. I would just say:

Get your md5sum from: http://www.md5summer.org/md5sum.zip

Extract this Zip file contents in your Fastboot directy.

It may seem tedious but the above is much improved for idiots like me who wasted 20 minutes on this bit.

I also had a bit of a panic attack on this bit:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Quote: Choose the various yes options

When complete use the back button to get back to the main menu

If you are moving to a new Custom ROM, or changing between 2.1 and 2.2 you should reset the device - or it may not boot

You can try NOT doing these steps, but if you can't boot you need to come back into Clockwork and choose the options (this will reset the phone losing your apps and data)

Clear Cache

Factory Reset

Choose the 1st item "reboot now""

I didn't like having to think about decisions at this point and so perhaps it could be simplified too using exact step-by-step wording etc. See at this point we have our fones upside down, stressed that it will load again and if not we'll have a mighty expensive digital photo frame of a Green Man haha

But excellent Guide and thank you :D

Guest gordyffc

Take a bow Steven, as a noob to android and rooting etc this was exactly what I was looking for. Fantastic tutorial :)

Successfully put the alpha3 rom on a San Francisco for my niece.

Guest Ralph Martin

One thing not addressed by this guide:

what happens to user data and installed apps if you put a new ROM on? Do they get wiped out in the process? Or are they stored elsewhere, so OK?

A couple of lines on this in the intro would be useful.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

17th December - Added info on wiping Apps and data (and when it needs to be done), Clarified md5sum util info, detailed the clearing of the cache and factory reset in steps

Guest Ralph Martin
Latest Update

17th December - Added info on wiping Apps and data (and when it needs to be done), Clarified md5sum util info, detailed the clearing of the cache and factory reset in steps

Good, thanks. A few more words on whether it is possible to save this stuff elsewhere, and restore it after putting the new ROM on, or whether you just have to start from scratch, would also be useful too.

Guest taannuk

Great job, Steven!

Little question - how to transfer all information including installed applications from one SD card to another SD? Is it possible or some information will be lost?

Thank you!!!

Guest StevenHarperUK
Great job, Steven!

Little question - how to transfer all information including installed applications from one SD card to another SD? Is it possible or some information will be lost?

Thank you!!!

Drag and drop!

Assuming that your SD card is just one FAT32 partition and your not using A2SD

Guest taannuk
Drag and drop!

Assuming that your SD card is just one FAT32 partition and your not using A2SD

Thank you! Did not do anything. So connect the phone with the initial (small in size) SD card onboard to the PC via USB and plug in a card reader/writer with another SD card (bigger in size) and simply copy and paste from one to another? OK? Then I need to unmount the 1st SD card in the phone and replace with the 2nd making mounting of the latter? Is that correct? And no information will be lost?

Sorry to be so detailed - too much information on the old smaller SD...

Thank you in advance!!!

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you! Did not do anything. So connect the phone with the initial (small in size) SD card onboard to the PC via USB and plug in a card reader/writer with another SD card (bigger in size) and simply copy and paste from one to another? OK? Then I need to unmount the 1st SD card in the phone and replace with the 2nd making mounting of the latter? Is that correct? And no information will be lost?

Sorry to be so detailed - too much information on the old smaller SD...

Thank you in advance!!!

Yes that's right - in the worst case you have the old SD card and it will have all your data on.

Guest jurrasstoil

Hey,

great Tutorial, will come in very handy when i receive my SF :)

I have a question about the SIM PIN tho.

atm i have an old Vodafone SIM that doesn't allow to disable the PIN, but i'll have a SIM that comes with the (simlocked) SF. Will it cause any problems if i unlock the phone with the stock rom, then flash a new ROM and use the SIM that came with the phone for the first boot after the flash?

After that i could switch to my Vodafone SIM with the PIN on it or will i have to make changes to the lockscreen for that first? (Fillyjonk RLS3)

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by jurrasstoil

Guest panteraz
Thought i'd give it a go and thought it went great flashing the 2.2 alpha3-update-modacocustomrom-blade-kitchen-unsigned.zip until i rebooted the phone and it goes past the green android screen but then gets stuck at the modaco logo screen for so many seconds then flicks off and back to the same screen. Have i done something wrong and do i need to repeat the process?

I have the same problem. With alpha4 rom... I am desperate...

e.g. Fixed! Pin was the problem.

Edited by panteraz

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

19th December - Added ALTERNATE Stage 1: Install ClockworkMod - Flash Clockwork without Fastboot

I have added an alternate Stage 1 - this is designed for users that can't get the fastboot program to see their devices, this can be because of conflicting drivers, bad usb ports and many other things.

Using the Alternate Stage 1 should be a second choice - fastboot is a much better way of doing the flashing of the recovery ROM.

Feedback / Suggestions / Criticism on adding this new alternate stage is all welcome.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

hi again...well after a few days of not really getting anywhere with my san francisco ...i have got it to the clockworkmode and i have followed this guide closely but i cant see my sd card on my windows 64 computer...i have tries most things but i cant see it...i was wondering if there is any way of getting this zip update onto the card...i think the card has been wiped clean now...thanks..

what about using other usb cable???

Guest StevenHarperUK
what about using other usb cable???

You could buy a cheap usb micro SD card reader

or copy the files using a temporary Linux OS. Ubuntu live cd

or try different drivers on Windows

You could even download the files using the phones browser

You could buy a cheap usb micro SD card reader

or copy the files using a temporary Linux OS. Ubuntu live cd

or try different drivers on Windows

You could even download the files using the phones browser

thanks!!!

but do radio works properly in these rom?? I loss track.....