15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

silly question:

when you flash a new rom, do you keep all you apps/contacts?

also, i have a B08 sf but its oled

does that mean that i can use oled only roms?

thanks in advance

Edited by HMZX

Guest StevenHarperUK
silly question:

when you flash a new rom, do you keep all you apps/contacts?

also, i have a B08 sf but its oled

does that mean that i can use oled only roms?

thanks in advance

When you flash a new ROM its always best to Wipe your Data and Cache (Factory Reset) or most ROMS won't even boot.

If your upgrading from Alpha 3 to Alpha 4 then you usually dont have to wipe.

When you wipe you do lose everything on the phone.

However you can use titanium backup to copy data onto the SD Card - this however does not always work between 2.1 and 2.2 Roms

The best thing to do with contacts is it sync them to a Google Account - then you can re-sync them after a wipe.

OLE Phones work with all the ROMS currently in this list.

Guest StevenHarperUK
hello,

today my zte blade (tft-version) came. i'd installed this rom link

what do you prefer to me...

for an fast, stable rom?

when i reinstall a new rom, are my contacts, picture... delete?

i have some other questions:

messaging is quite difficult (small figures and numbers)

is there any posibility to make them bigger? also the ü,ä,ö are not in there!

i hav an usb-adapter with output 5.15v and 500mA...

could i take that to load my phone?

thank you!

You have picked the same ROM I use on my 2 Phones - it is a good ROM.

You should Sync your contacts with a google account, then you never lose them.

I do not know about font size , maybe another txt App on the market can do this.

Most USB adapters will work, the only way you can really be sure is to test the output of each of the 4 pins with a meter.

The output on yours seems ok.

Did you clear cache and factory reset ?

yes i cleared cache and factory reset, i did as the tutorial says. everything else is normal, just navigation and internet problems

When you flash a new ROM its always best to Wipe your Data and Cache (Factory Reset) or most ROMS won't even boot.

If your upgrading from Alpha 3 to Alpha 4 then you usually dont have to wipe.

When you wipe you do lose everything on the phone.

However you can use titanium backup to copy data onto the SD Card - this however does not always work between 2.1 and 2.2 Roms

The best thing to do with contacts is it sync them to a Google Account - then you can re-sync them after a wipe.

OLE Phones work with all the ROMS currently in this list.

could i save my contacts/messages to my sim?

Guest t0mm13b

Hiya, have been trying to download Modaco alpha 4 ROM, but the link was incorrect... can you fix it up please :(

This was the actual link:

hhttp//android.modaco.com/content/zte-blade-blade-modaco-com/324786/03-dec-alpha2-alpha3-wip-modaco-custom-froyo-rom-download-online-kitchen-heavily-fixed-chinese-leak/

I took out the http bit as the editor automatically converted it to an actual url....

Cheers,

Edited by t0mm13b

Hi,

I've installed Dec Sebs r0.2: de-softened ROM for ZTE Blade and now I want to try Japanese Jellyfish RLS1 but when I plug my phone into my PC I do not get the mounting options to transfer my files to the Micro SD card, I have reset my PC and still no joy. Is there something I have to do within Sebs Clockwork to get the mounting options back?

**Edit**

Now fixed.

Applications>Development>USB Debugging>Turn Off>Turn On USB Storage

Then the "Open to View Folder on Windows" Popped Up. :(

Edited by majnu

Guest 90180360

Great guide, thanks a lot!

No problems at all with Windows 7 here.

Maybe you could update it to reflect that the latest ClockworkMod recovery (2.5.1.8) is ok to use.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

28th December Updated guide to Clockwork 2.5.1.8 and also fixed a broken link, added Mount USB for Japanese ROMS to troubleshooting

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Thanks for the excellent post, I went from knowing nothing about this to installing different ROMs very quickly thanks to you! Good up to date summary of the available ROMs as well.

Do you know if there's any solution to the infinite connecting / disconnecting wifi problem with the Netgear DG834Gv5?

I've tried different roms (b05 / r4 eclair / 2.2 alpha3 / de-softened) with different clockworkmods, but I can only connect after rebooting the router. I've tested the wifi fix zip for 2.2 with the desofted ROM, also didn't help.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for the excellent post, I went from knowing nothing about this to installing different ROMs very quickly thanks to you! Good up to date summary of the available ROMs as well.

Do you know if there's any solution to the infinite connecting / disconnecting wifi problem with the Netgear DG834Gv5?

I've tried different roms (b05 / r4 eclair / 2.2 alpha3 / de-softened) with different clockworkmods, but I can only connect after rebooting the router. I've tested the wifi fix zip for 2.2 with the desofted ROM, also didn't help.

Can you flash the firmware on the Netgear

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12760/

Also you may try this

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15943/

HI, thanks for the reply.

I've flashed version 1.6.01.34, no change (previous version was labelled 6.00.25).

I've tested WPA-PSK only, then WPA2-PSK only, and WPA1/2 mixed, in g-only mode, no joy in any mode. Haven't tried WEP but might give that a go. This router doesn't seem to have any WMM features.

Edited by dr.gms

Great job to all the chefs here and to all the people who helped others in this forum! It took me a bit to figure out how to get the Clockwork Recovery installed (I had my commands wrong), but I finally pulled it off and now have Froyo installed on my Blade! Wohoo!!! Thanks again everyone!

- Jesse

Guest 90180360
md5sum recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img

Check that the outputted MD5 is: ff6de35bbe87352b6880d93ba1065445

Sorry for nitpicking, but that's the hash of recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.zip.

Thank you, very much, for this guide, Steven. I'm inching my way through my first "phone ROM change thingy".

I don't know nothing 'bout nothing but, in case it's an oversite, should the new Windows alternative command be:

'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

... having first extracted file from the archive?

Currently the guide states: 'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.zip' which did not work for me.

Guest ch0rlt0n
Thank you, very much, for this guide, Steven. I'm inching my way through my first "phone ROM change thingy".

I don't know nothing 'bout nothing but, in case it's an oversite, should the new Windows alternative command be:

'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

... having first extracted file from the archive?

Currently the guide states: 'fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.zip' which did not work for me.

Yup, and the md5sum check still refers to the .img file, but has the .zip file result.

Still very clear steps, about to give it a go now...

Guest FotisThess

Is it possible someone please make a youtube video with full tutorial starting from the backup procedure of our original-factory rom and the way to reload it if anythinhg happens... then all the rest till the latest memory fix ... (1 picture-video = 1000 words) ... All the newbies-rookies need it ... Just a request .. Thank you !!!

Guest zurpher
Is it possible someone please make a youtube video with full tutorial starting from the backup procedure of our original-factory rom and the way to reload it if anythinhg happens... then all the rest till the latest memory fix ... (1 picture-video = 1000 words) ... All the newbies-rookies need it ... Just a request .. Thank you !!!

All done already as a quick search on youtube would tell.

In this video, Paul uses a MAC but the procedure is similar and it will help you to understand the procedure.

Guest Blues003

I just have one question I am not very sure about: when am I supposed to wipe cache and do the factory reset (processes a.k.a. full wipe) ? Before I flash the ROM, or after I flash the ROM?

Guest StevenHarperUK
I just have one question I am not very sure about: when am I supposed to wipe cache and do the factory reset (processes a.k.a. full wipe) ? Before I flash the ROM, or after I flash the ROM?

after

Guest StevenHarperUK
Yup, and the md5sum check still refers to the .img file, but has the .zip file result.

Still very clear steps, about to give it a go now...

Thanks for reporting that: I have fixed it.

Latest Update

29th December - Fixed instructions they didnt allow for new clockwork.zip

after

Oh, I wiped cache and did the factory reset before installing the (Finnish Fillyjonk) ROM. Guess I'll do it the other way next time but, in the meantime, is there any pressing need for me to wipe cache or do a factory reset?

I'm something of a noob.