15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Oh, I wiped cache and did the factory reset before installing the (Finnish Fillyjonk) ROM. Guess I'll do it the other way next time but, in the meantime, is there any pressing need for me to wipe cache or do a factory reset?

I'm something of a noob.

No Either way is fine - it makes no difference - My preference is before - it really doesnt matter

Guest jennifr

Hi all,

First of all thanks so much for the excellent stickies... found it easy to follow.

I've got a bit of a problem, maybe you guys have some advice. My Orange San Francisco won't boot up whenever I try to flash to a Froyo ROM, it gets stuck on the green Android screen. Eclair's fine. Here's the current state:

* Phone (OLED) is unlocked

* running 21. MCR r4 from Dec 6 installed using ClockworkMod recovery

Here's the steps I try to get Froyo running

* switch off, take battery off, charger out, start in ClockworkMod (2.5.1.8, also tried 2.5.0.9) with volume down key

* install from SD selecting whichever zip I'm trying to install (tried various ones - alpha 3, different alpha 4s I baked, all md5sum checked)

* clear factory settings, cache, dalvik cache (thought that wouldn't hurt). tried this in various combinations before and after installing

* take out SIM (since it has a PIN) and SD card (troubleshooting advice)

* boot up phone

Always the same result, I get stuck on the boot loader screen. Now I do appreciate that restoring a backup is so convenient with ClockworkMod because I've done it about 10 times, but I *really* would like to have a 2.2 build running on my phone and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, must be something utterly stupid.

Any idea what's going wrong? Can I somehow enable additional logging for the boot loader or a verbose mode so I can figure out where the problem is?

Thanks a lot

-Jen

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi all,

First of all thanks so much for the excellent stickies... found it easy to follow.

I've got a bit of a problem, maybe you guys have some advice. My Orange San Francisco won't boot up whenever I try to flash to a Froyo ROM, it gets stuck on the green Android screen. Eclair's fine. Here's the current state:

* Phone (OLED) is unlocked

* running 21. MCR r4 from Dec 6 installed using ClockworkMod recovery

Here's the steps I try to get Froyo running

* switch off, take battery off, charger out, start in ClockworkMod (2.5.1.8, also tried 2.5.0.9) with volume down key

* install from SD selecting whichever zip I'm trying to install (tried various ones - alpha 3, different alpha 4s I baked, all md5sum checked)

* clear factory settings, cache, dalvik cache (thought that wouldn't hurt). tried this in various combinations before and after installing

* take out SIM (since it has a PIN) and SD card (troubleshooting advice)

* boot up phone

Always the same result, I get stuck on the boot loader screen. Now I do appreciate that restoring a backup is so convenient with ClockworkMod because I've done it about 10 times, but I *really* would like to have a 2.2 build running on my phone and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, must be something utterly stupid.

Any idea what's going wrong? Can I somehow enable additional logging for the boot loader or a verbose mode so I can figure out where the problem is?

Thanks a lot

-Jen

Can you try a different SIM, but with no pin - just for the first boot.

Guest jennifr
Can you try a different SIM, but with no pin - just for the first boot.

Best I could do was to disable the PIN for this SIM, no use - still the endless boot loader.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Best I could do was to disable the PIN for this SIM, no use - still the endless boot loader.

You seem to have done everything right - My only thoughts is that you need to try another SD Card - maybe something is wrong with that?

Anyone know how we can get any more debug on the bootup of this device?

Guest jennifr
You seem to have done everything right - My only thoughts is that you need to try another SD Card - maybe something is wrong with that?

I suspect the SD is fine since I can backup and restore fine from it, and upgrading from 2.1 MCR r3 to r4 worked fine as well. I'll still dig out a different one from "The Box O' misc Memory Cards" and will try again.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I suspect the SD is fine since I can backup and restore fine from it, and upgrading from 2.1 MCR r3 to r4 worked fine as well. I'll still dig out a different one from "The Box O' misc Memory Cards" and will try again.

Yeh it is unlikely - I have seen hundreds of people with boot loops, but 99% of the time its a bad img file or they haven't wiped...

Next problems are SD cards and Locked SIMS

Finally dead phones (but you have 2.1 working)

Does anyone know how to get more debug during boot - there there an ADB command?

Guest ch0rlt0n

Hi, could someone clarify?

I've installed clockwork successfully and am about to install Paul's Alpha3 ROM. If I'd like to restore my phone back to the stock Orange 2.1 image, is the clockwork backup I've taken enough to do this? Or do I need to flash a stock image first and then restore my backup?

Many thanks.

Guest andysee

Just a success story.

Thanks for the info here, and to all who have put it together.

Updated 2 phones with Clockwork and ModaCo Rom r4, a couple of weeks before Xmas.

Loving the phone, the apps, and the customisation.

Donation pending.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, could someone clarify?

I've installed clockwork successfully and am about to install Paul's Alpha3 ROM. If I'd like to restore my phone back to the stock Orange 2.1 image, is the clockwork backup I've taken enough to do this? Or do I need to flash a stock image first and then restore my backup?

Many thanks.

Just a Clockwork restore will do

Guest ch0rlt0n
Just a Clockwork restore will do

Cool, thanks!

Another success story from me. Installed Paul's 2.2 alpha3 ROM onto a grey TFT Orange UK San Francisco purchased Dec 20th. OS was Windows Vista SP2.

I'd missed the step to clear the cache and factory reset so hung on the MoDaCo splash screen at first. Easily followed the instructions to reboot into clockwork and re-do the missing steps.

CPU was constantly above 95% at first. Installed busybox and terminal emulator to identify (using top) that the culprit was CKPD-daemon, as described by asturel here. Simple reboot fixed it. If it comes back I may remove the program as others seem to have done with no ill effects.

Cheers all!

Edited by ch0rlt0n

Guest subaru03

Hi steven and alll,i've been trying to root my san francisco for a couple of days now,a bit of a newbie to this i'm afraid,but i'm not a complete idiot,but working on it lol.

the problem i have is...i'm using a xp professional service pk 3 p.c.but i have a problem with it not being able to see the phone when i've put it into fast boot mode for rooting.

i've downloaded the usb drivers from ZTE website and windows recognises the phone and i can see all the folders/directorys when phone is in normal mode.but as i said when i put the phone into

fast boot for rooting windows comes up with found ANDROID and cannot install the device. so when i try to push the files acroos in ms dos prompt i get the usual... waiting for device.

i've just read the last few reply's to this thread saying that some rom's don't need rooting or are rooted already,but i've purchased TITANIUM PRO which i believe cannot be used until phone is rooted.

As i want to back up phone before flashing..my p.c also doesn't recognise my memory card reader(no drivers came with it) and does't recognise my samsung tocco lite when in mass storage mode,but fine in p.c mode using samsung p.c suite.the memory card reader actually crashes the p.c.i've scanned the web,microsoft fix's for usb but to no avail.what i need to know is should i be able to see the phone in windows whe in fast boot mode.i think this is a microsoft problem caused by service pack 3(google), as i've had this sort of problem before with a 20gb mp3 player not being recognised,which turned out to be windows media player causing the problem. which was fixed by downloading the lastest version of media player.i've spent quite a few hours trying to find a fix and just need some help pointing in the right direction.

i do not have access to an unbuntu based p.c or a mac,just need a work around.p.c is an i7 core with an asus p6t deluxe mobo,any help would be much appreciated...thanks

Guest Watashi_PT

Thank you VERY much for this. I'm a complete noob to android and without this i couldn't do nothing

Using now Jelly :(

Edited by Watashi_PT

Guest StevenHarperUK
i do not have access to an unbuntu based p.c or a mac,just need a work around.p.c is an i7 core with an asus p6t deluxe mobo,any help would be much appreciated...thanks

Hi, you don't need access to an ubuntu PC, just a CD Drive that can burn a disc.

If you download the iso and make the CD (see first post)

You can boot off the CD (without making any changes to your computer)

Just be aware that when you reboot, any files you downloaded will disappear - unless you move them to a memory stick.

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest Anjan Tek

Hey Steven!

Thank you for the splendid, detailed guide. It must take you a lot of time and effort to maintain the guide. Thanks a lot for the effort.

For the benefit of other Dell XCD35 owners: I have a Dell XCD35 (which is a rebranded ZTE Blade TFT in India). The phone was released here a week back. I have successfully managed to use ClockworkMod 2.5.1.8 to load Paul's MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM alpha 3 on to the XCD35. So far, everything seems to be working fine. Not even one screen-lock freeze that some people have been complaining about.

Edited by Anjan Tek

Guest blackanchorage
but as i said when i put the phone into fast boot for rooting windows comes up with found ANDROID and cannot install the device. so when i try to push the files acroos in ms dos prompt i get the usual... waiting for device.

I'm new to this, but what I found was that you need different drivers for normal and fastboot. For fastboot I used the zte_driver.zip referenced here: http://android.modaco.com/content-page/318...itchen/page/20/

Regards

Thanks for this. I used a guide from somewhere else but it was more or less the same steps, but yours is clearer and easier to follow.

I have updated mine using the ROM: r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip

I also used the fee unlocker. Cheers for the link :(

This is a new phone. Bought in Orange store this afternoon (and only couple of hours out of box).

I have an issue where after a minute or so it goes into power save mode (sorry if wrong terminology) and I cannot wake it up.

Screen is blank. All the buttons all light up white when pressed but screen stays blank.

All I can do is remove battery and reboot.

I was not aware of there being a need to check the build Number to see if it was TFT Screen or not so did not do this.

I also did not clear the cache or factory settings in clockwork before installing the ROM as I was not aware of a need.

I have tried it now but it has not fixed my issue.

Any ideas?

Maybe a different ROM?

Many thanks.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for this. I used a guide from somewhere else but it was more or less the same steps, but yours is clearer and easier to follow.

I have updated mine using the ROM: r4-update-modacocustomrom-blade-signed.zip

I also used the fee unlocker. Cheers for the link :(

This is a new phone. Bought in Orange store this afternoon (and only couple of hours out of box).

I have an issue where after a minute or so it goes into power save mode (sorry if wrong terminology) and I cannot wake it up.

Screen is blank. All the buttons all light up white when pressed but screen stays blank.

All I can do is remove battery and reboot.

I was not aware of there being a need to check the build Number to see if it was TFT Screen or not so did not do this.

I also did not clear the cache or factory settings in clockwork before installing the ROM as I was not aware of a need.

I have tried it now but it has not fixed my issue.

Any ideas?

Maybe a different ROM?

Many thanks.

Sounds like you flashed either a ROM that is OLE only or you installed Superboot.

I bet you screen has a blue tint too.

You need to follow this guide

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-on-tft-device/

Guest Paul Fraser

Hi, thanks for the guide at the top of this thread. I am currently reading through it before upgrading the phone. Can you tell me if MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 is OLE or OLE/TFT? It says one thing at the top of the post (OLE) and another a bit further down (OLE/TFT), cheers. Mine is TFT as you have probably guessed :(