15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thank you for your prompt reply back... I will do that!! cheers B)

I wish I would get help on the HTC Desire HD thread like I get there!!!

Were the cool kids :unsure:

Guest slab100
2 Possible causes
  • You skipped clearing cache and factory reset (in clockwork)
  • Your download was somehow corrupted (just re-dl and reflash) check the md5

Hi Steven,

thanks for your quick reply. in my initial set up i did clear the cache and did a factory reset. I put clockwork back on my phone I tried downloading japanese jellyfish again plus the wee add on. I the reinstalled them from theSD card and cleared cache again and did a factory reset.

its still doing the same thing though, try making a phonecall and screen goes blank. dunno what i have done wrong.

i have a san francisco white TFT.

maybe i should try another rom, i quite liked this one though. if i install a new rom do i just download it and put on zip card and install from clockwork with a clear cache and factory reset?

can you recommend another rom for my tft which is good?

thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven,

thanks for your quick reply. in my initial set up i did clear the cache and did a factory reset. I put clockwork back on my phone I tried downloading japanese jellyfish again plus the wee add on. I the reinstalled them from theSD card and cleared cache again and did a factory reset.

its still doing the same thing though, try making a phonecall and screen goes blank. dunno what i have done wrong.

i have a san francisco white TFT.

maybe i should try another rom, i quite liked this one though. if i install a new rom do i just download it and put on zip card and install from clockwork with a clear cache and factory reset?

can you recommend another rom for my tft which is good?

thanks

flibble's - FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r5)

or

Sebastians - Sebastian404's de-softened ROM - r0.3 ALPHA (download from last post in thread)

Both are very good.

Thanks a lot for your guide, and all your help after it. However, I seem to have messed up big time along the way and would really appreciate some pointers as to what I've done wrong and how I could fix it.

I have the TFT version of the Orange San Francisco. Not yet unlocked, as I haven't been able to get hold of a SIM from another network. and I have Windows 7 for the connection.

I had no problems getting clockwork recovery on the machine and booted up (1st tried 2.5.1.8). Within clockwork I first did a backup, and then copied the ROM from within the stock Orange OS (not the clockwork mount). This is where my troubles started! The first message I got within Clockwork recovery was that the latest Jellyfish zip file was "bad" and it aborted without doing anything. Thinking that this was because the phone wasn't unlocked (you say it needs to be for Jellyfish, but the Jellyfish page doesn't mention this, so I thought I'd take a chance), I then tried the latest FLB Froyo G2, which gave me the same error, as did the stock Orange ROM. I then started getting creative (always a bad idea!), and tried the other Clockwork recovery versions, including the special one written by the Jellyfish author. I fastboot flashed them right in, rather than erasing the previous clockwork versions first - would that have made any difference? Anyway I had no problems installing the other clockwork recovery versions, but these produced the same error. I even checked the checksum on the SD card itself, and found that they were the same as the forum stated, so that wasn't an issue.

I followed your advice to move from FAT to FAT32, and reformatted the SD card (from within Windows), and then tried to put the files back on, but to no avail.

I then re-downloaded my 3 ROMS (the stock Orange ROM, the latest Jellyfish and latest FLB Froyo G2), made sure I didn't move them between directories on my hard drive (somehow I think this caused the problems in the first place), and put them on my SD card again, this time using clockwork mounts, as I couldn't boot up the OS anymore. This time I got no "bad" error message, though sometimes now got a "Status 7" message a little further along, and another abort.

Not sure how I solved this - mainly by trying as many permutations as I could of all the commands in clockwork recovery, and the three versions of it, but eventually I could fully update the ROMS within Clockwork with no errors (it always needed only a few seconds - is that normal?). But then when I rebooted, it would hang at the green man forever. I tried factory reset and cache wipe both immediately before updating the ROM, immediately after and after taking out the battery following another hang - all to no avail. A permanent green man was the same result.

Knowing next to nothing, I was worried that the clockwork backup files were interfering with the process, so stupidly moved them onto a hard drive. When I later copied them back over, I found I could no longer use them as there was always an MD5 error, I guess because now they had a different date stamp? Is there any way around this?

So now I have no 2.2, no stock Orange OS, and no way to restore the system to what it was before. Please can anyone help? The phone was only bought (for my wife) for Xmas, and I thought I'd do her the favour of getting it debranded and speeded up and now I've managed to destroy it!

UPDATE: recopied over the Orange stock, and somehow this stopped the Status 7 error (what does that mean anyway?) and allowed the stock Orange OS to stick. So at least my wife has a workable phone now. But when I tried the Jellyfish RS3b or the flb-froyo-blade-r5a, clockwork claims to install it without fault (on clockwork 2.5.1.8), but with various combinations of factory reset and cache wipe I still get a permanent green man and no boot up. Any suggestions? Would unlocking the phone make a big difference?

Edited by dan_

Guest slab100
flibble's - FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r5)

or

Sebastians - Sebastian404's de-softened ROM - r0.3 ALPHA (download from last post in thread)

Both are very good.

Hi Steve,

ok, i downloaded sebastians404's de-softened ROM - r0.3

I did theMD5 and was ok as per the link.

I put it on the sd card, and installed from clockwork then cleard cahce and factory reset. but i am still having same issue, when i make a call the screen goes blank and i cant hang up without pulling battery out of back.

I am thinking there must have been an issue with me flashing the phone, althought i did follow instructions precisly and did an md5 on it, I used clockwork 5.5.1.8 to flash the phone,

any ideas?

everthing else is perfect apart from this.

Guest StevenHarperUK
UPDATE: recopied over the Orange stock, and somehow this stopped the Status 7 error (what does that mean anyway?) and allowed the stock Orange OS to stick. So at least my wife has a workable phone now. But when I tried the Jellyfish RS3b or the flb-froyo-blade-r5a, clockwork claims to install it without fault (on clockwork 2.5.1.8), but with various combinations of factory reset and cache wipe I still get a permanent green man and no boot up. Any suggestions? Would unlocking the phone make a big difference?

The boot loop MAY be because the phone is locked - the latest 2.2's need unlocked devices.

However when you said flashing the ROMs in Clockwork only took a few seconds - around 20-30 seconds is correct.

Can you try downloading a ROM directly on your device (via wifi) and see if your computers antivirus software is not meddling with the files as they are transfered.

I personally use clockwork 2.5.1.8 and jellyfish 3b so I know they work.

Thanks

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steve,

ok, i downloaded sebastians404's de-softened ROM - r0.3

I did theMD5 and was ok as per the link.

I put it on the sd card, and installed from clockwork then cleard cahce and factory reset. but i am still having same issue, when i make a call the screen goes blank and i cant hang up without pulling battery out of back.

I am thinking there must have been an issue with me flashing the phone, althought i did follow instructions precisly and did an md5 on it, I used clockwork 5.5.1.8 to flash the phone,

any ideas?

everthing else is perfect apart from this.

You have unlocked the phone?

Guest umster
Latest Update

3rd January - Updated Japanese Jellyfish RLS4 by kallt_kaffe, Updated FLB-Froyo G2 (r5a) by flibblesan

wow Japanese Jellyfish seems to be getting updated daily!!!! lol!!!

I can't keep up!!!

i see that the vm size has gone back to 24mb

any good steven? :unsure:

Guest StevenHarperUK
wow Japanese Jellyfish seems to be getting updated daily!!!! lol!!!

I can't keep up!!!

i see that the vm size has gone back to 24mb

any good steven? :unsure:

Yeh, just a few fixes, the default splash and theme & background is nice too.

24Mb seems smooth to me

Guest umster
Yeh, just a few fixes, the default splash and theme & background is nice too.

24Mb seems smooth to me

Nice one Steven, always good to hear your thoughs!!!

I'll have a go now.

Cheers

im looking to upgrade to 2.2 FroYo and i basically want your opinion on what rom should i choose.

im not a complete noob, but I don't know a lot!

which one would you recommend for me

Guest umster
im looking to upgrade to 2.2 FroYo and i basically want your opinion on what rom should i choose.

im not a complete noob, but I don't know a lot!

which one would you recommend for me

lol!!

go for this one!! Japanese Jellyfish

Guest StevenHarperUK
i was thinking about that one

can i ask why?

Any of the chinese/japanese 2.2 ROMS are good.

My personal choice is Jellyfish, because I like that the way many of the stock apps are on the system, I like the themes by Frankish (Flibblesan's ROM has same themes too).

I like the Overclock, I like the stock boot screen and animation - I like the Launcher Pro and the gingerbread keyboard.

However look at the chart - many of the ROMS share some of them features.

Any of the chinese/japanese 2.2 ROMS are good.

My personal choice is Jellyfish, because I like that the way many of the stock apps are on the system, I like the themes by Frankish (Flibblesan's ROM has same themes too).

I like the Overclock, I like the stock boot screen and animation - I like the Launcher Pro and the gingerbread keyboard.

However look at the chart - many of the ROMS share some of them features.

thanks for your opinion! :unsure:

ill go for it then

Guest slab100
You have unlocked the phone?

Hey Steve,

thanks for your response again. Unfortunately no, i did not unlock the phone as i dont have any other sims apart from orange. I thought it should work out ok...but maybe not.

I was round at friends and put in a vodafone sim but it did not allow me to input unlock code, presumable because of the new rom. I have now re-instated the original orange rom supplied by Paul and I can make calls as normal, but going to have to wait until tomorrow to go to work until i can borrow someones sim to see if it asks for the unlock code.

hopefully once i unlock phone and get jellyfish back on everything will go as normal, will let you know anyways

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hey Steve,

thanks for your response again. Unfortunately no, i did not unlock the phone as i dont have any other sims apart from orange. I thought it should work out ok...but maybe not.

I was round at friends and put in a vodafone sim but it did not allow me to input unlock code, presumable because of the new rom. I have now re-instated the original orange rom supplied by Paul and I can make calls as normal, but going to have to wait until tomorrow to go to work until i can borrow someones sim to see if it asks for the unlock code.

hopefully once i unlock phone and get jellyfish back on everything will go as normal, will let you know anyways

The latest Jellyfish claims that you don't need a Sim in the hone for it to boot anymore - Go have a look

Guest killthatwha

Can someone explain to me what a 'Nandroid' backup is? I keep seeing it mentioned on various threads.. is it the same as backing up from Clockworkmodrecovery?