15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest DarkFlux

In Step 1 it states:

Download 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod Recovery

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...overy-oled-tft/

You can try the older version recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-blade.img if you really want.

Move the file recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.zip into the fastboot directory

Open a Terminal (or a command window if you are in Windows)

CODE

cd Desktop/fastboot

Windows alternative command cd c:\fastboot

CODE

md5sum recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.zip

--

The download link is to the .img file however the code states to use a .zip file?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by DarkFlux

Guest StevenHarperUK
The download link is to the .img file however the code states to use a .zip file?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian has updated his Post - I will fix mine now

Stand by

Guest slab100
The latest Jellyfish claims that you don't need a Sim in the hone for it to boot anymore - Go have a look

hey Steve,

downloaded the latest jellyfish rls4 and installed it plus the add on. everything appears to be working fine now (i can hang up the phone! woo hoo) no idea

it only has 3 home screens though, bit strange...

thanks very much for your help, no regrets,

Guest StevenHarperUK
hey Steve,

downloaded the latest jellyfish rls4 and installed it plus the add on. everything appears to be working fine now (i can hang up the phone! woo hoo) no idea

it only has 3 home screens though, bit strange...

thanks very much for your help, no regrets,

If you choose Launcher Pro (using hope switcher app)

Then hit the MENU button on the device you can go into PREFERENCES

These are the launcher PRO settings

Load of stuff to play with

But if you look into HOMESCREEN SETTINGS you will see the number of screens

BTW : posts like this belong in the ROMS own thread - so Jellyfishe's thread really

Edited by StevenHarperUK

The boot loop MAY be because the phone is locked - the latest 2.2's need unlocked devices.

However when you said flashing the ROMs in Clockwork only took a few seconds - around 20-30 seconds is correct.

Can you try downloading a ROM directly on your device (via wifi) and see if your computers antivirus software is not meddling with the files as they are transfered.

I personally use clockwork 2.5.1.8 and jellyfish 3b so I know they work.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice. Managed to unlock the phone today, which made no difference in the end. Then I used an old Ubuntu laptop I had in a drawer to download and put the ROMS back on, instead of Windows. This lead to a successful Jellyfish (4) install finally, which I was really pleased with, but I couldn't get the Jellyfish overclocking ROM to install (same "status 7" abort message, whatever that means). Will probably wait a bit and try again (I have a new micro SD card coming in a week, which might help).

Guest malavhe

Hi,

I'm new to this and despite researching the relevant threads and following the guide I've run into a problem. Hopefully someone can help.

I have downloaded and extracted fastboot and the clockwork_recovery image file into C:\fastboot

The phone goes into fastboot mode (have tried both with and without replacing the battery)

However when I try to launch the command:

fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img

error: cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

However if I rename the file slightly or use the kallt_kaffe's modified clockwork image (recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-blade-ext3.img)

I get:

<waiting for device>

It is like it is not recognising that the android device is there. To be more precise I know it doesn't because the USB drivers are not being found on the phone and installed.

I tried using the Correct ZTE Blade USB drivers linked on this forum but my computer (Vista) doesn't seem to be recognising that the device is plugged in, causing fastboot to stall.

Any advice?

Also, how do I exit fastboot mode if I can't do anything via the USB cable? So far I have had to remove the battery to get it to reboot but it would be nicer if there was another way. Do ypu juist have to hold down the Power button for a really long time?

Kind regards.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi,

I'm new to this and despite researching the relevant threads and following the guide I've run into a problem. Hopefully someone can help.

I have downloaded and extracted fastboot and the clockwork_recovery image file into C:\fastboot

The phone goes into fastboot mode (have tried both with and without replacing the battery)

However when I try to launch the command:

fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img

error: cannot load 'recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.8-blade.img'

However if I rename the file slightly or use the kallt_kaffe's modified clockwork image (recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.1.3-blade-ext3.img)

I get:

<waiting for device>

It is like it is not recognising that the android device is there. To be more precise I know it doesn't because the USB drivers are not being found on the phone and installed.

I tried using the Correct ZTE Blade USB drivers linked on this forum but my computer (Vista) doesn't seem to be recognising that the device is plugged in, causing fastboot to stall.

Any advice?

Also, how do I exit fastboot mode if I can't do anything via the USB cable? So far I have had to remove the battery to get it to reboot but it would be nicer if there was another way. Do ypu juist have to hold down the Power button for a really long time?

Kind regards.

1st problem is that you got the filename wrong - well I did - I updated the post very recently

recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img is the new filename

Waiting for device means that the drivers are not installed correctly.

If you cant restart with fastboot, then yes the battery has to come out.

Could you try the Stage 1 without a PC (right near the bottom of the guide)

ALTERNATE Stage 1: Install ClockworkMod - Flash Clockwork without Fastboot

I'm running Pauls 2.1 R4 and been waiting a month or so for an equally stable 2.2 release.

Are any of the 2.2's as stable as the 2.1 R4? If not, when is this likely to happen?

Guest KenBW2

StevenHarperUK, you're a GOD. An updated, comprehensive, easily accessible area for ROMs and general FAQ type stuff is just what our community needs!

Pretty much what the wiki should be, but without the out-of-sight-out-of-mind aspect :unsure:

Guest Lifeforms

I've installed "MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) TFT/OLED" on my san fran yesterday, and seems that everything went fine. But today/last night I noticed a weird thing that every time I lock my phone, it automutes it which frankly after missing calls and texts is quite annoying. It's not as I use the phone. If i just lock it. So i pick it up, look at the weather or summit, lock it. Auto muted. Which is obviously not right, and as much as I search i can't seem to find anything that is even similar problem wise.

I want to try another mod, but do I need to remove this current one somehow, or can I just install over it with another one? I want to try this one: FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r5a)

Oh and can I just second the Ubutnu part of the instructions. I struggled for about 2 hrs trying everything to get this damn phone connected on windows 7. I sucked it up eventually and did it with a CD install of Ubuntu, and no issues at all connecting it.

Many users have driver/connection problems in windows XP / Vista / Windows 7 - all of the users that have tried the same procedure on an Ubuntu Live CD have had no problems.

I recommend you use an Ubuntu live CD

Edited by Lifeforms

Guest StevenHarperUK
I've installed "MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM Alpha3-4 (based on new Chinese leak) TFT/OLED" on my san fran yesterday, and seems that everything went fine. But today/last night I noticed a weird thing that every time I lock my phone, it automutes it which frankly after missing calls and texts is quite annoying. It's not as I use the phone. If i just lock it. So i pick it up, look at the weather or summit, lock it. Auto muted. Which is obviously not right, and as much as I search i can't seem to find anything that is even similar problem wise.

I want to try another mod, but do I need to remove this current one somehow, or can I just install over it with another one? I want to try this one: FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (r5a)

Oh and can I just second the Ubutnu part of the instructions. I struggled for about 2 hrs trying everything to get this damn phone connected on windows 7. I sucked it up eventually and did it with a CD install of Ubuntu, and no issues at all connecting it.

The phone has a Turn to Mute -> you MUST turn this off as its a know issue and eats battery

Settings > Sounds

Yes you just go into clockwork, factory reset and install again (any ROM you like)

Nice to hear that Ubuntu worked so well for you - its a great OS

Guest Lifeforms
The phone has a Turn to Mute -> you MUST turn this off as its a know issue and eats battery

It's not turned on though. Even when i do turn it on, and lock the phone, it still does it. I'll try another ROM and see what that comes up with

Guest gunnm42

@StevenHarperUK: Just ran into some trouble when following your guide on ubuntu 10.10 @ quoted step.

In the terminal (still in the fastboot directory)

sudo ./fastboot-linux flash recovery  recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
Windows alternative command
fastboot-windows flash recovery recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
MAC
if you see the error :
ERROR: could not get pipe properties rebooting...
you should be able to ignore it - check you can get into clockwork (see step 2)
all
If you get
"writing 'recovery'… FAILED (status read failed (Protocol error)) android"
change the usb cable, and try another USB port.
all
If you keep getting
waiting for device
and you have tried installing drivers - then you could try the alternate Stage 1 (see below) which does not use fastboot
Problem:
adb devices

fastboot devices
gave me no output and
fastboot flash recovery  recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img
got stuck on "waiting for device" forever. Fix: create two files in /etc/udev/rules.d/ (50-android.rules;90-android.rules)
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-android.rules
past in the following line and replace "user" with your username
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666", OWNER="user"
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/90-android.rules
past in the following line and replace "user" with your username
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="04e8", MODE="0666", OWNER="user"
Then refresh the udev rules:
sudo reload udev

credit goes to sado1

hope this helps others who get stuck at this first step.

Edited by gunnm42

Guest Steveharr

May I suggest in the instructions at "Step 2", rather than:

a) Downloading the ROM zip to Desktop or c:\

b) Do MD5 check

then

c) Copying to SD card.

Change to:

a) Downloading the ROM zip on Desktop or c:\

b) Copying to SD card

then

c) Do MD5 check of ROM on SD card.

Why? Well I had a problem where on my stock Orange SF every time I copied a ROM to the SD card it got altered and failed to install. Luckily Clockwork Recovery recognised it and stopped installation. The SD card was formatted out of the box as FAT16. I reformatted it FAT32 and all worked from then on.

Hope this helps to stop a bricked phone or panic if people encounter the same problem I did.

Thanks for the excellent guide, keep up the good work :)

Edited by Steveharr

Guest savagekevin

This is excellent and been hugely helpful for a newbie. The glossary is really good too.

I haven't quite worked out fully how to make a choice between ROMs wisely, other than needing to choose the right screen compatibility. In particular, what I'd find handy is explanation on this page of the last columns of the chart, or links to where I can learn about them. These are the things that I haven't really worked out about these columns:

- I haven't worked out the best way to preserve apps when I change to a new ROM; is this why Titanium Backup is common and you've put it in your comparison table?

- Why does one care about the "APN list"? I think I understand this now actually but it troubled me for a day trying to manually set up my phone's data connection here in Switzerland on OK-mobile (Orange)

- Launcher and keyboards! If you have a link of a discussion comparing them this would be hugely helpful for me. Why choose one over the other, what's the difference between them

Thanks for this very useful post.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

7th January - Updated Japanese Jellyfish to R5, Updated de-orangeated ROM to r8, Added extra colums to table, Added extra TPT Roms, Added Stock ROM

Guest lineage

thanks for this thread. very clear instructions for newbie like me!

without this i would never be able to flash the other rom and experience 2.2 on the blade.

Guest captainpimpjunior

Hi at all,

have my blade since oktober, i really thought i bricked it, got radio issues, no connection to my provider, checked it with vodafone and eplus (i'm in germany), tried plenty of roms nothing happened, still no connection/radio (i'm not talking about the fm radio, sorry for my english :D )

this morning i read about this tpt method and installed the hungarian stock rom. it doesn't fixed my problem, i thought going back to the point before unlocking the phone will set my connection back to the stock status...because excuse me please i forgot to say that, i had brilliant connection in london and at home in cologne until i unlocked the phone for my provider.

then i read about the possibility to restore the netlock with an app link

so i installed the japanese jellyfish, because astro is installed with it, the point is this fixed my phone, i didn't do the re-lock or what ever, i've already installed japanese jellyfish, and dozens of roms...maybe it was the tpt and then an other rom, don't know

Thanks to all, may i can help someone with connection problems

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

8th January - Updated ROM FLB-Froyo G2 (r5) by flibblesan - now on source Kernel - re-signed so existing Themes will NOT currently work. Lots of new features on this ROM.

Guest captainpimpjunior

it is th UK TFT version,

i checked a few things and hm...still not working :P the sign shows full radio, but i'm not able to call someone...

btw. i tried the blade unlock app, i am switching between japanese jellfish, finish fillyjonk and the hungarian tpt.

just one question, is it possible to change the radio rom? other android phones do have custom (?) radio roms...

i going to try some changes :D

Guest StevenHarperUK
it is th UK TFT version,

i checked a few things and hm...still not working :P the sign shows full radio, but i'm not able to call someone...

btw. i tried the blade unlock app, i am switching between japanese jellfish, finish fillyjonk and the hungarian tpt.

just one question, is it possible to change the radio rom? other android phones do have custom (?) radio roms...

i going to try some changes :D

Could it be that your operator block IMEI's that are not registered with your SIM - this is possible.

Do you have another operators SIM to try?