15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest umster

Hi Steven,

Quick question,

I want to upgrade to the new jap jelly v5. I have data on my phone such as contacts, calender txt messages etc.

will it wipe my data if I upgrade? if there is a way I can do it without wiping my data please let me know

P.s is the Dell XCD35 same as zte blade?, if so it £240 in india!!! wow!!

many thanks matey

Best Regards :D

Edited by umster

Guest _amano

StevenHarperUK, I can confirm that the Jellyfish RLS5 ROM works fine on the Austrian Blade from the prepaid provider "Yesss!" using the TPT method.

Guest srub_AUT

Hi Steven,

I could update my imported Orange San Francisco, which I got via ebay fom the UK and which was already rooted with the new total phone transfer method without a flaw.

I used the Jellyfish image, I took me about 10 minutes! The phone works perfect with 2.2, is maybe a bit faster and, best of all, I can send mms again, which did not work on my "Three" net in Austria with the stock orange rom.

Thanks a lot for all your great work here and the perfect guide. I love the 2.2 Android system, especially voice search.

Greets,

scrub_AUT

Guest gordy1

Could the TPT method be done using the stock orange ROM. It would certainly give a complete noob like me the confidence to start experimenting with other ROMS and methods if we had the safety net of a straight forward recovery back to the way the phone was when we bought it.

Just a question / suggestion, I appreciate it may not be possible.

Thanks

Gordy

Guest captainpimpjunior
Could it be that your operator block IMEI's that are not registered with your SIM - this is possible.

Do you have another operators SIM to try?

Hi Steven thanks for your help, nut i don't think, it is this problem. Tried an other operator - doesn't work, tried the original Orange SIM - doesn't work.

i have to face the truth :P i bricked it with unlocking it via the unlocking webpage ( it was the free one, shame on me, was it 5 pounds worth? or couldn't i wait till theres a unlocking apk? no, and now a have a really small android tablet pc, without 3g, but wifi :D )

i'll check further updates. thanks for your help and thanks for your great job collecting everything necessary for blade on one page.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven thanks for your help, nut i don't think, it is this problem. Tried an other operator - doesn't work, tried the original Orange SIM - doesn't work.

i have to face the truth :P i bricked it with unlocking it via the unlocking webpage ( it was the free one, shame on me, was it 5 pounds worth? or couldn't i wait till theres a unlocking apk? no, and now a have a really small android tablet pc, without 3g, but wifi :D )

i'll check further updates. thanks for your help and thanks for your great job collecting everything necessary for blade on one page.

Did you enter the wrong code too many times?

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

9th January - Updated Japanese Jellyfish to r6, Updated FLB-Froyo G2 Theme info

9th January - Added Austrian to the confirmed TPT devices, Added RA_recovery to Troubleshooting

thanks for this thread. i succesfully used it to make a backup of my phone and install the FLB rom, being a total android/smartphone noob :D

i only have one problem with rooting: i tried to use the app (UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk) in the first post, and it worked with titanium backup, but it didn't work with setcpu and adfree. these two apps just freeze black when they request root rights.

how can i root my phone? i'm using FLB rom rl6.

Guest StevenHarperUK
thanks for this thread. i succesfully used it to make a backup of my phone and install the FLB rom, being a total android/smartphone noob :D

i only have one problem with rooting: i tried to use the app (UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk) in the first post, and it worked with titanium backup, but it didn't work with setcpu and adfree. these two apps just freeze black when they request root rights.

how can i root my phone? i'm using FLB rom rl6.

FLB is already rooted.

If it is working with one app it should work with all - try relaunching a few time (and killing the tasks with a task killer in between)

SetCPU will only work with a kernel that supports it : I believe that only (at this time) Japanese Jellyfish does.

FLB is already rooted.

If it is working with one app it should work with all - try relaunching a few time (and killing the tasks with a task killer in between)

SetCPU will only work with a kernel that supports it : I believe that only (at this time) Japanese Jellyfish does.

oh i just saw that also app2sd app needs root (and it works, so the phone looks rooted). probably also adfree doesn't work on this kernel. i will try to find an alternative app, thanks.

Guest tomc_lufc

Hi, thank you and well done in creating this excellent guide StevenHarperUK, it was a wonderful aid in flashing a custom ROM. :P

Does anyone know where I can find the stock recovery image for my San Francisco TFT, as I need to send my phone back to Orange. I have looked in numerous threads but cant find it. I found a link (Here) but I dont know if it's compatable with the TFT version. :D

Also can someone confirm that if I flash the stock recovery image over in the same was as I did with clockworkmod recovery that it will remove clockworkmod, therefore returning my phone back to factory status.

Thanks.

Edited by tomc_lufc

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

9th January - Updated Swedish Snow RLS1 by kallt_kaffe - not the first 2.1 ROM with a source kernel - Overclock also and with TPT install. Added new Column System Size to table.

If anyone want to correct the ??? in the System Size - that would be helpful

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, thank you and well done in creating this excellent guide StevenHarperUK, it was a wonderful aid in flashing a custom ROM. :P

Does anyone know where I can find the stock recovery image for my San Francisco TFT, as I need to send my phone back to Orange. I have looked in numerous threads but cant find it. I found a link (Here) but I dont know if it's compatable with the TFT version. :D

Also can someone confirm that if I flash the stock recovery image over in the same was as I did with clockworkmod recovery that it will remove clockworkmod, therefore returning my phone back to factory status.

Thanks.

Yes : if you use fastboot to push a Stock recovery.img over your clockwork : that will do it.

EDIT : However I do not know where there is one : Anyone else like to help?

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Guest umster

Steven if you would please

Hi Steven,

Quick question,

I want to upgrade to the new jap jelly v5 (now R6). I have data on my phone such as contacts, calender txt messages etc.

will it wipe my data if I upgrade? if there is a way I can do it without wiping my data please let me know

P.s is the Dell XCD35 same as zte blade?, if so it £240 in india!!! wow!!

many thanks

Best Regards :D

Guest StevenHarperUK
Steven if you would please

OK your in the same place I was this morning.

You have a choice to make now

• Install the ROM With clockwork - allowing you to go to non-128MB roms easily
  • Install the TPT version and get more DATA Space - but can only easily install 128MB data roms

No I choose the TPT as I believe that most new ROMS from now on will only be 128MBin size.

So next either way your going to have to backup.

If your good and have chosen to sync your contacts to Gmail, then its even easier.

Otherwise you have to back them up too

You will have to make sure your phone is rooted (see first post)

Then Install Titanium backup from the Market.

Then Start it and hit MENU and choose Batch

Backup all your stuff

Your backup will now be on SD Card (in a titanium backup folder)

Now Flash your ROM either using TPT or Clockwork (if you do it in clockwork you will have to factory reset and clear cache)

Now boot the new rom - sync to Gmail for your contacts.

Now launch/install Titanium Backup

Hit MENU and choose batch

Select the RUN that you want - look though and PICK what you want - don't restore an older version of google maps etc.

If you buy titanium this step is less tedious - as you don't have to confirm each install.

Guest umster

Steven,

Thank you once again for your advise and help.

As you advised me last time to sync my contacts in gmail that is exactally what I did :D so that should make my life easier!! thank god!!!

I'll have a go 2morr now!!

is the Dell XCD35 same as zte blade??????

you your opinion is there a better spec phone than the ZTE blade ? in terms of camera with flash?

Cheers

:P

OK your in the same place I was this morning.

You have a choice to make now

• Install the ROM With clockwork - allowing you to go to non-128MB roms easily
  • Install the TPT version and get more DATA Space - but can only easily install 128MB data roms

No I choose the TPT as I believe that most new ROMS from now on will only be 128MBin size.

So next either way your going to have to backup.

If your good and have chosen to sync your contacts to Gmail, then its even easier.

Otherwise you have to back them up too

You will have to make sure your phone is rooted (see first post)

Then Install Titanium backup from the Market.

Then Start it and hit MENU and choose Batch

Backup all your stuff

Your backup will now be on SD Card (in a titanium backup folder)

Now Flash your ROM either using TPT or Clockwork (if you do it in clockwork you will have to factory reset and clear cache)

Now boot the new rom - sync to Gmail for your contacts.

Now launch/install Titanium Backup

Hit MENU and choose batch

Select the RUN that you want - look though and PICK what you want - don't restore an older version of google maps etc.

If you buy titanium this step is less tedious - as you don't have to confirm each install.

Edited by umster

Guest Arr Too
i have to face the truth :D i bricked it with unlocking it via the unlocking webpage

VERY UNLIKELY. What's more likely (sadly) is that you have a hardware issue with the SIM connections, or maybe the phone itself. Try carefully repositioning the SIM (and double-check it's round the right way!). Some people have reported that padding the SIM out with a few layers of tape helps it seat better, too. Check all the connections are clean and not damaged, too.

Guest StevenHarperUK
is the Dell XCD35 same as zte blade??????

Yes

you your opinion is there a better spec phone than the ZTE blade ? in terms of camera with flash?

About 8, but they all start at about 400 quid.

Guest TimJBart

Haven't been on modaco for a while :D I've been registered 7 years!!!

Getting an Orange San Francisco today in the post, and want to get rid of the horrible Orange software and put on something more useful. What is the recommended ROM if I only want to do this process once? I noticed in a poll thread that most people have gone for the Japanese Jellyfish 2.2 version. Is that basically the one considered to have the most bang for my buck, so to speak :P

Edited by TimJBart

Guest Parallax20

StevenHarperUK - I should have posted this a couple of weeks ago, but just wanted to say you're doing a great job of keeping this thread up-to-date. I check it almost everyday just to see what new info has been added!

I followed your guide and it was pretty straightforward to follow. Once clockwork recovery was installed it was pretty much all downhill from there. Just a simple case of download a rom and install. I just have to resist the temptation to keep reflashing every time a new ROM update appears :D

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

Cheers to all the developers building custom roms too. I wouldn't have bought a San Francisco if it wasn't for the support on here and its forum members.

Thanks all.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Haven't been on modaco for a while :D I've been registered 7 years!!!

Getting an Orange San Francisco today in the post, and want to get rid of the horrible Orange software and put on something more useful. What is the recommended ROM if I only want to do this process once? I noticed in a poll thread that most people have gone for the Japanese Jellyfish 2.2 version. Is that basically the one considered to have the most bang for my buck, so to speak :P

Yes good choice.