15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest simonckenyon
Yes good choice.

you say that the japanese jellyfish is a good choice.

i installed it for a week and have gone back to r9 of Sebastian404's de-orangeated ROM

jellyfish was really nice in that froyo is a major improvement (exchange calendar sync, last name contact sort)

but the GPS did not work (with or without the gps.conf change), the leds were always on and it absolutely chewed through the battary (overclocked or not)

Guest jthearson

hi Steven, can you help me with something, i am a complete beginner. I need a microSDHC card - does it have to be a particular speed? Would class 4 be OK for a smart phone ROM update?

Guest Salsaholic

Steve, this is one of the most useful forum posts I have ever seen! Thanks a million for it!

I used the guide on our family-Blades a few times, now finally reaching Froyo with JJ6.

Thanks to your very helpful comparison table it was easy to spot "my" perfect ROM to start with.

Again, thanks for this great work and for keeping it up-to-date, with all those changes!

Guest StevenHarperUK
hi Steven, can you help me with something, i am a complete beginner. I need a microSDHC card - does it have to be a particular speed? Would class 4 be OK for a smart phone ROM update?

I have a class 4 in mine

My Sons has a class2

The free one is class2 - I cannot tell the difference except when I am copying ROMS to the device over USB.

might confuse people

Total Phone Transfer

This technique uses a much lower level method of updating your ROM.

It is MUCH simpler than using Fastboot, installing Clockwork and then Putting a ROM on your phone.

However it is NEW, and in development - and only 1 ROM is currently available.

theres 3 roms available now

just to avoid confusion... :D :P

Guest TimJBart

EDIT - Sorry, I've just seen that the jellyfish ROM is pre-rooted so I should just follow the steps in post 1 as described. Thanks

Hi, I've seen some posts mentioning the fact you have to root the phone, prior to loading the JJ 2.2. Does this need to be done in order for my Orange sim to be used with this custom rom?

So, the order would be:

root san francisco - (how do I do this!? I don't have sim for another network)

install clockwork mod recovery with fastboot

boot clockwork, upload ROM and install

Can the rooting/unlocking of the device be done after I install the custom jellyfish ROM if I get SIM Network Pin Error?

Edited by TimJBart

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, I've seen some posts mentioning the fact you have to root the phone, prior to loading the JJ 2.2. Does this need to be done in order for my Orange sim to be used with this custom rom?

So, the order would be:

root san francisco - (how do I do this!? I don't have sim for another network)

install clockwork mod recovery with fastboot

boot clockwork, upload ROM and install

Can the rooting/unlocking of the device be done after I install the custom jellyfish ROM if I get SIM Network Pin Error?

Thanks

No you don't have to root, you have to have your phone SIM unlocked

Check here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-and-zte-blade/

Guest TimJBart
No you don't have to root, you have to have your phone SIM unlocked

Check here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-and-zte-blade/

Ok thanks. The unlock guides mention the last step is putting in a sim from another carrier and then entering my unlock code. With the custom ROM, will my Orange SIM just be the "other carrier" SIM and allow me to enter the code? Or do I need a vodafone or O2 sim to get the Sim unlock code prompt?

Sorry for the stupid questions

Edited by TimJBart

Guest StevenHarperUK
Ok thanks. The unlock guides mention the last step is putting in a sim from another carrier and then entering my unlock code. With the custom ROM, will my Orange SIM just be the "other carrier" SIM and allow me to enter the code? Or do I need a vodafone or O2 sim to get the Sim unlock code prompt?

Sorry for the stupid questions

The Questions are valid - you need another non-orange SIM to get the prompt.

Guest malavhe
1st problem is that you got the filename wrong - well I did - I updated the post very recently

recovery_clockwork_2.5.1.8_blade.img is the new filename

Waiting for device means that the drivers are not installed correctly.

If you cant restart with fastboot, then yes the battery has to come out.

Could you try the Stage 1 without a PC (right near the bottom of the guide)

ALTERNATE Stage 1: Install ClockworkMod - Flash Clockwork without Fastboot

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your answer. In the end I decided that installing all the android SDK and JDE was too much work.

I instead took another piece of your advice from the first post and created an Ubuntu live CD. Once I hade figured out that I needed to redownload clockwork and fastboot from within Ubuntu to get run permissions it was smooth sailing.

Thank you!

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi Steven,

Thanks for your answer. In the end I decided that installing all the android SDK and JDE was too much work.

I instead took another piece of your advice from the first post and created an Ubuntu live CD. Once I hade figured out that I needed to redownload clockwork and fastboot from within Ubuntu to get run permissions it was smooth sailing.

Thank you!

Well done

You could have also used the command

chmod +x <FILE>

to change the permissions to run allow

or you can right click on a file in ubuntu and choose properties and there is a checkbox in the permissions tab

still well done

Guest captainpimpjunior
VERY UNLIKELY. What's more likely (sadly) is that you have a hardware issue with the SIM connections, or maybe the phone itself. Try carefully repositioning the SIM (and double-check it's round the right way!). Some people have reported that padding the SIM out with a few layers of tape helps it seat better, too. Check all the connections are clean and not damaged, too.

Hi Arr Too, thanks for your help, i'll try your advice later. The point is, i hadn't any issues, i put in my german sim, then entering the unlock code and then bad connection :D maybe the antenna itself is broken?! could that be possible? the phone was in use for 5 days before unlocking...without any problems

Guest StevenHarperUK

Latest Update

11th January - Updated innish Fillyjonk to RLS5 by kallt_kaffe - HW Acceleration by default (addon to turn off) Also now a 128MB version to fit in resized Partition (TPT)

Guest killerval

hey all, followed this post from the beginning and have to say: fantastic stuff!!

a big thanks you steven and everyone who contributed to the guide.

really struggled to find an easy to use guide that fully explained everything

found it hard to follow at first due to me being a complete newbie... :/

used this and installed the modaco 2.2 alpha3 (thanks btw paul!)

works like a charm!!!

thanks all!

Guest vareBlade

When i did the TPT of the Hungarian 512Fix, in my phone there were no letters or anything just a black screen. (thought i should mention it for you to write it up there cause not everyone is getting what we see

in the video)

Guest StevenHarperUK
When i did the TPT of the Hungarian 512Fix, in my phone there were no letters or anything just a black screen. (thought i should mention it for you to write it up there cause not everyone is getting what we see
in the video)

Interesting that could be 2 things.

1 - the hardware (TFT) makes a difference

2 - the updater software is different

I wounder if when you run it again it will show the text (if the update, updates the updater !)

I have added a warning that users may not see text

Guest captainpimpjunior
VERY UNLIKELY. What's more likely (sadly) is that you have a hardware issue with the SIM connections, or maybe the phone itself. Try carefully repositioning the SIM (and double-check it's round the right way!). Some people have reported that padding the SIM out with a few layers of tape helps it seat better, too. Check all the connections are clean and not damaged, too.

Hi arr too, you were right, was a hardware issue, tried your tape trick, now celly tells me no SIM inside, think there was a bad braze point, and now its a broken one :D but the important thing is, i know the problem, no more thinking about mistakes while flashing or anything.

*EDIT*

one of the golden pins was a bit out of shape, now the phone finds my sim, but still with connection problems.

can i check the antenna with a terminal code or whatever?

*EDIT2*

Settings -> About Phoe -> Status -> Signal Strength says: -99dBm 7 asu, the signal strength in the status bar says just one bar and no data transfer

Edited by captainpimpjunior