15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest ezablade
cheers for the thream Stephen :)

Now with A2SD, I see you've had the same issues...

here's my thing:

1- partitioned SD ( fat32 then 512 ext2 in the end of the disk)

2- installed A2SD from clockworkmod

3- from shell, tried checking (a2sd check), says that ext exists but not mounted

4- per one of your posts, reflashed r4, tried again...no luck

5- re-installed A2SD...mounted /ext from Clockworkmod..... still....same response..... EXT found, but not mounted!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-1 : Boot loop ! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Edit-2 : full wipe.....CWM restore.... (at least I had a backup copu :))

OK, I'm missing something obvious.... where do you install A2SD from Clockworkmod? I can't seen any option for that?

Guest LostGeordie

Fantastic guide - well done for what apprears to be a lot hard work.

If you dont mind ive hit a little snag. Ive been having a go in windows (will try in ubuntu live. Cd if i continue to struggle)

I amm up to checking superboot with md5sum however my downloaded file appears as ‘boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3’ – so I cant find the file when trying ‘md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.ing’

What am I doing wrong?

Hope this isnt too stupid a question. I had posted this elsewhere but will try to delete that one now - this is a more appropriate place to put it.

Guest shaddy666

Hi mate,I have just registered with this super forum just so I can say a very big thank you from a total noob at mobile phones who has just followed your instructions and installed Pauls rom first time with no problems.

Thank you very much :)

Guest StevenHarperUK
Fantastic guide - well done for what apprears to be a lot hard work.

If you dont mind ive hit a little snag. Ive been having a go in windows (will try in ubuntu live. Cd if i continue to struggle)

I amm up to checking superboot with md5sum however my downloaded file appears as ‘boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3’ – so I cant find the file when trying ‘md5sum boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.ing’

What am I doing wrong?

Hope this isnt too stupid a question. I had posted this elsewhere but will try to delete that one now - this is a more appropriate place to put it.

Firstly try re-downloading the file

It may be your downloaded is removing the. Img extension or is your system set to not show extensions

if you can't get It to show. Img then change the md5sum command to the you haven't make sure the md5 matches.

I installed the MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 a few days ago without the a2sd. Now I baked a new rom with the a2sd file included and followed your guide, just started at step 3 and skipped the first 2 steps. But I`m still missing the A2SD app. I can`t see any difference.

Can someone help me out?

Guest LostGeordie
Firstly try re-downloading the file

It may be your downloaded is removing the. Img extension or is your system set to not show extensions

if you can't get It to show. Img then change the md5sum command to the you haven't make sure the md5 matches.

Thanks! I redownloaded it and got the correct output code.

Guest StevenHarperUK
I installed the MoDaCo Custom Rom - r4 a few days ago without the a2sd. Now I baked a new rom with the a2sd file included and followed your guide, just started at step 3 and skipped the first 2 steps. But I`m still missing the A2SD app. I can`t see any difference.

Can someone help me out?

Have you Partitioned you SD Card : First Partition fat32 : second ext2 (500mb - 1gig)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Any Chance of this thread being Pinned?

I feel that my guide is a great start for new people and should be easy to find.

Any chance of a Pin?

EDIT : Updated to Sebastian404's de-orangeated ROM for San Francisco R6

Edited by StevenHarperUK

Hello

Great post - should be pinned!

I was also wondering if there is a step by step guide to reversing the process?

ie - removing custom rom, removing super user access and removing clockwork recovery?

My phone's screen has stopped working completely and I need to return the phone.

Regards

n

Hi, reversing is easy - just install the stock ROM (listed in ROM links), and voila, it's as though it's just out of the box :rolleyes:.

Hello

Great post - should be pinned!

I was also wondering if there is a step by step guide to reversing the process?

ie - removing custom rom, removing super user access and removing clockwork recovery?

My phone's screen has stopped working completely and I need to return the phone.

Regards

n

Guest ballist1x

so can i check.

i have followed this guide to the letter and am happy with the results.

But if i want to try a different OS build, do i have ti re do the 'Root' Superuser bit and do i need to re insall the clockwork bit again? or is it once that is done its done permanently and you can just keep downloading more OS to the SD card and keep re installing them?

Hi,

you've done the "hard" bit now. All you need to do is download a new ROM, copy it onto your phone, reboot into recovery, and apply the file.

What I would suggest is buying the donate version of Titanium backup. This allows a batch backup / restore of all your apps, settings, and marketplace links. This means that you can do a full wipe if needed, and use a new ROM and have it set up as you do now, in around 30 mins.

so can i check.

i have followed this guide to the letter and am happy with the results.

But if i want to try a different OS build, do i have ti re do the 'Root' Superuser bit and do i need to re insall the clockwork bit again? or is it once that is done its done permanently and you can just keep downloading more OS to the SD card and keep re installing them?

Guest ballist1x

Hi, great thanks. it did take me nearly 2 hours of working on it yesterday with several breaks to get to the R4 installed and ready to go situation.

thing is i dont really have any apps or settings i need to keep, so not sure how valuable the Ti backup would be for me per se'. i just bought the phone to have a 'dos' about on...

i just want to get goal.com and fantasy football things on 3g when im at work as the work network has now blocked the key URL to stop me. but they cant block 3g. well, actually the weather did that itself yesterday but nm.

i just need long battery life, access to wifi and the web and not much else tbh so i might play around and try some slim fast OS'es

Fair enough - in which case you can start out with the free version, and if you do more with the phone upgrade.

You won't get long battery life with the SF, but you do get a beautiful screen.

Hi, great thanks. it did take me nearly 2 hours of working on it yesterday with several breaks to get to the R4 installed and ready to go situation.

thing is i dont really have any apps or settings i need to keep, so not sure how valuable the Ti backup would be for me per se'. i just bought the phone to have a 'dos' about on...

i just want to get goal.com and fantasy football things on 3g when im at work as the work network has now blocked the key URL to stop me. but they cant block 3g. well, actually the weather did that itself yesterday but nm.

i just need long battery life, access to wifi and the web and not much else tbh so i might play around and try some slim fast OS'es

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi, great thanks. it did take me nearly 2 hours of working on it yesterday with several breaks to get to the R4 installed and ready to...

I know its my guide but after 3-4 phones and once you have it all downloaded it takes about 10 minutes :-)

Guest LostGeordie

Hi,

I am following advise re: ubuntu - downloading it and will burn to a CD.

Just wondering what you mean by this:

'You may need to change your bios boot order to look for the CD before your harddisk'

I havent used ubuntu before, so im actually quite looking forward to messing around. One question, how will I open a command window with it?

Much appreciated

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi,

I am following advise re: ubuntu - downloading it and will burn to a CD.

Just wondering what you mean by this:

'You may need to change your bios boot order to look for the CD before your harddisk'

I havent used ubuntu before, so im actually quite looking forward to messing around. One question, how will I open a command window with it?

Much appreciated

In your computers bios you get to choose which drive the PC will boot from first : Modern machines have F12 or F10 to choose which drive to boot from as the machine boots.

As for a terminal Its in the Applications menu under Accessories - very easy to find.

All the other stuff (unzipping etc) can be accessed by right clicking files in the normal file browser.

Thanks for this guided, very detailed and got the flash working first time! Found the OS a little sluggish and still having WiFi dropout issues, so am going to try the ROM without Wavesecure and WiFi manager. Can't wait to see a stable Froyo ROM.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Thanks for this guided, very detailed and got the flash working first time! Found the OS a little sluggish and still having WiFi dropout issues, so am going to try the ROM without Wavesecure and WiFi manager. Can't wait to see a stable Froyo ROM.

If you want to just remove APKs from a ROM you like, Open up the Update.zip browse to the /System/Apps Directory and delete the .APKS you don't want

Then flash with this ZIP

The wavesecure file is called

com.wsandroid.apk