15/Jan [GUIDE] Installing the MoDaCo Custom Froyo ROM from scratch (and other ROMS)

Guest StevenHarperUK

Guest bellalugosi

Hi, I installed reasonably quickly. ( windows XP - driver did not recognise - you have covered the fix)

I'm an old hand at hacking, but my first android. Thought your header post covered everything.

Cheers, and thanks - (voted for you)

( a script jockey who has written install guides for Unix)

Guest StevenHarperUK

big :rolleyes: for the 3 people who are obviously MAD (or just can't decide) on the poll.

Thanks for voting - vote if you haven't already please - then maybe a mod will spot it.

big :rolleyes: for the 3 people who are obviously MAD (or just can't decide) on the poll.

Thanks for voting - vote if you haven't already please - then maybe a mod will spot it.

Voted.

With the slimmer ROM things run much smoother, but only after changing the heap stack back to 24. WiFi issue seems fixed by turning off sleep (Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu button > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Never) and installing Blade Wifi Fix.

Also put in LauncherPro, rolled back to Fancy Widget 1.3 and added the Sense V2 framework, which gives a very close approximation to the HTC Desire, which I use for work on occasion.

Very happy with the phone and it's great to see such a brilliant community behind it here. Again, thanks to all who put the work in to the ROMs and guides!

Guest StevenHarperUK

UPDATED MAIN THREAD :

BladeVillain 1.0.1 - Villain ROMS's (2.1 Eclair) provided by kendon - Based on the French ROM (with the more stable wifi) but will all modifications removed AP2SD built in - replaced stock Launcher with LauncherPro, rooted/busybox/apps2sd/betterzipalign, png optimised, all languages enabled, Cyanogen's huge APN file, TouchPal keyboard removed HTC IME Mod added, thanks jonasl@xda,Hardware acceleration enabled, Dalvik memory tweak

I'm just about to give this Custom ROM a shot, but getting stuck at first hurdle as I'm unable to download the required files from the links in the 1st post as the loadbalancing server is giving me a DNS_FAIL/Cannot find server.

Any alternate download locations?

Superboot MCRI, fastboot nor the customrom itself are resolving for me.

Thanks

Guest flatnote31
I assume your doing a MoDaCo R4 rom then?

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried the Villain Rom?

I flashed it yesterday (on a clean phone...cache /dalvik wipe, data/factory reset) and the artefacts are quite heavy....whenever you touch something on the screen..

EDIT: Fixed in 1.0.1 my bad :rolleyes:

Edited by flatnote31

Guest StevenHarperUK

Update Again:

15th November - Added French Fries RLS4 - kallt_kaffe ROM (2.1 Eclair) with AP2SD EXT3 and also Overclocking

2 ROMS in one day - this French ZTE ROM seems to be taking off.

Hi there - woted yes - what else?! Now, here's what I am thinking; all those custom ROM's floating around makes it hard to decide which to choose and install. Is there anyone who has listed ROM's with pro's and con's? I am new to Android and really new to all about custom ROM's. Could it be so that I just install and test ROM's until I find one that I'm happy with?

Guest Jacko.UK
This is a great guide. I was a bit apprehensive about trying it but this breaks it down in a nice way.

A lot of people put in a lot of work on this site so a big thank you to Paul and the others who make it easier for the noobs.

Here, here. :rolleyes:

Guest Sebastian404

you should possibly link the Bouygues stock ROM, and my de-Bouygues ROM too, since you want to cover them all :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not really sure the Bouygues ROM's wifi is really improved, I still have the same problems I had before with it.. :huh:

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest StevenHarperUK

Update Added

FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta) (2.2 Froyo) provided by flibblesan - A Froyo 2.2 ROM with lots of fixes and customisations; Browser homepage set to google.com,- Hand service in Settings changed, Hardware Acceleration enabled, Custom boot screen. WLAN renamed to WiFi, Most system apps updated, All Google apps updated to latest versions as of 16th November 2010, Default wallpaper taken from T-Mobile US G2 (HTC Vision), MP3 notifications work. Podcasts work. Sound in streaming video works (TVCatchup.com for example), Ambient light sensor semi-working.

Guest bruschi

Just want to add my thanks too. on my first android and wanted to de-orange it. great guide and a big help.

Also

D'oh! I was seeing complexity where there was none. Solution - drag the alert notification to the trash bin.

thanks for that! was looking too much into it as well!

as an aside, I'm using the modaco ROM at the moment. is there better ones out there or any other updates that could be used instead now I know what I am doing? this one seems fine anyway.

Guest StevenHarperUK
you should possibly link the Bouygues stock ROM, and my de-Bouygues ROM too, since you want to cover them all :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not really sure the Bouygues ROM's wifi is really improved, I still have the same problems I had before with it.. :huh:

Ah yes sorry how did I miss that.

Update

Added Sebastian404's de-bouyguesed ROM for ZTE Blade/Orange San Francisco - r6 - LITE/FAT (2.1 Eclair)

Also added the Stock Bouygues Telecom V1.0.0B11 ROM

Tided up the ROMS section too

Guest `Anderson

This might be a too much request. But is it possible for you to upload the Pic while going though it please.

So people like me who is not experience in Andriod and not a computer person can still do this :rolleyes:

Btw NICE EFFORT !!!

Guest kallt_kaffe
  • Stage 1: Root the Device (this adds the superuser app into the menu)

Why? Stage 2 doesn't need this and Stage 3 will overwrite any changes done by Stage 1.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Why? Stage 2 doesn't need this and Stage 3 will overwrite any changes done by Stage 1.

Ah yes a very good point.

The Guide was written on the first day of owning my first Android device (I work with them coding, but had never flashed them)

Looking back - its obvious now that Stage one isn't needed, it was previously mentioned by Paul in his guide:

Using the Superboot method will install Superuser binary and APK version 2.3.6.1. This bootloader also provides additional 'safety net' functionality while it is installed.

I assumed that having this extra Safety Net would be helpful.

Anyone got feelings on this?

Do I reduce the Guide to 2 steps?

Guest StevenHarperUK
Just letting you know the link in the first post directs me to the homepage and not the comparison post you made :rolleyes:

Ta - I have moved it into the guide anyway - seemed sensible

Guest kallt_kaffe
Looking back - its obvious now that Stage one isn't needed, it was previously mentioned by Paul in his guide:

Using the Superboot method will install Superuser binary and APK version 2.3.6.1. This bootloader also provides additional 'safety net' functionality while it is installed.

I assumed that having this extra Safety Net would be helpful.

Anyone got feelings on this?

To see excatly what it does I would need to extract the ramdisk from the boot.img and examine init.rc (or install it and dump init.rc and perhaps some more from a running phone). But I since I'm too lazy to do that I will revert to pure speculation...

• A "normal" super boot is usually not flashed, it's run once (fastboot) and copies superuser binary and app into /system and gives it the right permissions.
  • Now fastboot doesn't work on the blade so it's flashed. So likely the su binary and app is copied and permissions is fixed on each boot. This is likely the 'safety net'.
  • Wheter the above is true or not flashing a custom rom flashes a new boot.img so whatever it does will be wiped anyway.
  • The superboot must be based on the Orange ROM (kernel + ramdisk) and shouldn't be flashed at all on non-Orange blades. Normal superboots are not flashed so this usually isn't much of a problem.

Do I reduce the Guide to 2 steps?
Yes, step 1 is a complete waste of time.