Best car dock / windscreen mount for SF

Guest Picard SF

Guest The Sorcerer
Bought one of these from eBay, highly recommended...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I think it's almost identical to the one featured near the beginning of this post which has since been out of stock.

It was very cheap and is an excellent product, one of the best mounts I've had and fits the Blade perfectly :P

fLaMePr0oF

Do you have the Blade in a gel case or "naked"? And the top left corner bracket looks like it would prevent the MicroUSB charging cable from being inserted into the socket - does it go in or not?

Thanks

Guest The Sorcerer
Do you actually remove your car mount when not using it?

My understanding of the increased risk of break-ins is that the ASBO brigade assume that if there is a suction mark it must mean you have a satnav you have taken off (as you are not in the car) and there is a good chance you have it in the glove box. If they see a phone holder sitting there then they are not likely to think the same thing as you are almost certain to have taken the phone with you - it being a phone. That is assuming they have the intelligence to think that far, but I would expect so if they can think far enough to equate a suction mark with a satnav.

You obviously have upmarket scrotes in your area :P I don't think for one minute that the scumbags would differentiate between a phone suction cup mark and a satnav suction cup mark - they just see the mark and know that one or the other has been there and may well now be in the glove box. It's no skin off their nose if they break the window and don't find anything, they don't have to pay for the replacement window or clean it all up.

I'd rather not give them any reason at all to break in or to tempt fate in any way, so I got a bean-bag mount for my TomTom satnav. It works absolutely brilliantly, takes any suction cup mount not just a TomTom, and can be put in the glovebox leaving no marks whatsoever on the screen or dashboard.

Details below, but two caveats (1) I don't know anything about this company. I didn't get mine from them, it was just the first hit returned from Google, and (2) the beanbag mount comes with an adhesive hook that you stick to the dash to stop it moving around - don't use it because the scrotes will know and you'll defeat the object of the exercise and you don't need it anyway. The thing is heavy and sits in place on the dash by friction - only once in the three years I've had it did I corner so fast that it went flying :D

http://www.buybits.com/product/3348.aspx?s...Google_Products

Edited by The Sorcerer

Guest ezablade
Do you have the Blade in a gel case or "naked"? And the top left corner bracket looks like it would prevent the MicroUSB charging cable from being inserted into the socket - does it go in or not?

Thanks

I've got a mount like that (may no be the exact same one), for an i900. Fits perfectly. Used it with both an e71 gel case and a proper Nillkin case for the SF. Fits snugly, no ports blocked. Not tried it without a case though.

To avoid the risk of any potential data loss, we do not recommend using a magnetic holder on phones with internal hard drive or flash memory. Mobile Fun cannot be held responsible for any data loss.

Guest oh!dougal
Would that affect naviagtion, having a magnet somewhere near the compass?

Very likely indeed to affect the magnetic compass when stationary.

BUT, I believe I've seen a read-me or somesuch that says that if you are going more than 5mph, your direction of movement (change in GPS position) is taken as your heading, rather than using the compass.

The steel of a typical car doesn't do a magnetic compass many favours. On a ship (where a traditional compass is failsafe emergency kit) you need to 'swing the compass' to calibrate out the magnetic effects of the ship's magnetic materials ...

To avoid the risk of any potential data loss, we do not recommend using a magnetic holder on phones with internal hard drive or flash memory. Mobile Fun cannot be held responsible for any data loss.

A permanent magnet won't hurt the data on the phone.

Really.

You can potentially mess up floppy disks (what are they?) with them but not solid state memory.

That 'no responsibility' statement is a pretty extreme arse-covering measure.

Guest The Sorcerer
I've got a mount like that (may no be the exact same one), for an i900. Fits perfectly. Used it with both an e71 gel case and a proper Nillkin case for the SF. Fits snugly, no ports blocked. Not tried it without a case though.

Brilliant mate, thanks. I never take mine out of its gel case so that's what I wanted to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking for a car mount and while searching I noticed a seller on ebay had marked the Arkon Slimgrip as being suitable for the San Francisco. This is intended as an Iphone holder but the placement of the arms wouldn't interfere with volume or the charging cable (on the ZTE) so i'm wondering if anyone has used either the IPM514 or the IPM515 and were they suitable?

Here is a pic of the CR-122 holding my OSF and mounted in-car. (click the pic to get to the hi-res image)

p1000122b.th.jpg

Hi

How good is your CR-122 holder.

does the phone fit properly ?

is it loose any problems ?

many thanks

Guest evilpaul
Hi

How good is your CR-122 holder.

does the phone fit properly ?

is it loose any problems ?

many thanks

It's a great holder, and I have no issues with it. It is a little fiddly to get the phone into position (the USB connection position is the cause of this), but once positioned it doesn't move or wobble.

Guest Yuccaman
It's a great holder, and I have no issues with it. It is a little fiddly to get the phone into position (the USB connection position is the cause of this), but once positioned it doesn't move or wobble.

+1 for this... Finally used the CD-122 on my 90 min drive home today and was absolutely fine, no wobble or vibration...

Couldn't charge as I don't have a car adaptor yet so not fiddly to line-up at all for me (only used 30% of the battery too !!!)

Phone is in a Nillkin case as well. The CR-122 is a bit dearer than others, but well worth the extra imho.....

Guest Yuccaman

The arm looks a little long to be imho.....

Unless money is really tight, I'd go for a branded accessory where possible, ideally one that already has a user on here that can vouch for it.... T

he Nokia CR-122 I bought after seeing evilpaul's pic is £11 delivered (Amazon), but you can pick up a Nokia CR-115 for under £6, although you have to mount the phone a bit lower apparently, cos otherwise it will rest on the volume buttons (or get busy with a scalpal)....

When i was looking, I wanted a holder that held the phone in all four corners so the CR-122 fit the bill perfectly....

Guest Zleet

My Arkon IPM514 Slimgrip arrived and so far i'm more than happy.

411N4kZVAqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Quite solid, holds the phone perfectly, doesn't interfere with volume or power buttons and the usb port is easily accessible. Haven't had a chance to test the suction cup on the windscreen yet but I don't see that being an issue.

Guest NorthRiding
My Arkon IPM514 Slimgrip arrived and so far i'm more than happy.

Quite solid, holds the phone perfectly, doesn't interfere with volume or power buttons and the usb port is easily accessible. Haven't had a chance to test the suction cup on the windscreen yet but I don't see that being an issue.

Looks like just what I want. My windscreen is a mile away so want to mount it on the centre glass area of the radio/cd so don't need a long "neck" - the shorter the better.

What is the diameter of the suction cup please? (millimetres or £sd) and where did you get it/cost etc?

Thanks

Guest Zleet
Looks like just what I want. My windscreen is a mile away so want to mount it on the centre glass area of the radio/cd so don't need a long "neck" - the shorter the better.

What is the diameter of the suction cup please? (millimetres or £sd) and where did you get it/cost etc?

Thanks

Got it from Amazon, specifically here.

Cost me £10.50 with free super saver. Could have maybe got it a few quid cheaper elsewhere but I preferred using Amazon. It's in the car so I can't measure the suction cup at the moment but it was a fairly standard size (similar to tomtom) and had a clip action to strengthen the suction grip and make removal easy (also came with sticky plate for dashboard mounting). The phone cradle also has a 'universal' connector compatible with all Arkon mounts.

If you type 'slimgrip' into Amazon you can see various mounting options with the same cradle including a lighter, cup holder and visor mounts but I didn't find them suitable for what I needed.

Got this to go with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002HMZ...ref=oss_product

Edited by Zleet