Guide to Upgrading and Downgrading the Streak

Guest homeiss

Guest simpl3lang
Not sure about this one, but there are lots of different keyboards in the market. :)

I love ultrakeyboard. Using it right not. It even have tracing (similar to swype...its a killer addition). Oh and i have swype too. got it working but hardly use it.

Edited by simpl3lang

OK, one quick question.

I own an unlocked UK Dell but the ROM is 2.1 from o2 (021 device).

I need to downgrade to 1.6 unlocked UK Dell ROM (031 devices).

How can I do that, where do I get the 1.6 Dell ROM for unlocked UK Streaks?

My streak is broken and I have to give it to the inssurance company!

Thx.

Edited by zwmg

Guest richard-s42
Upgrading from O2 2.1 (build 8105) to Stephen Hyde's 2.2
  1. download Stephen Hyde's 2.2 v2 update zip.
  2. Rename update-new.zip to update.zip and copy it to the root of your SD Card.
  3. Download recovery.alt.zip from here.
  4. Move the recovery image into the same folder as the fastboot.exe.
  5. Put your Streak into fastboot mode.
  6. Open up command line type: fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.alt.img
  7. Hold down both the volume buttons and type: fastboot -i 0x413c reboot in command line.
  8. In recovery select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card using volume keys and camera button to select. In the ClockworkMod recovery menu select Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card and then Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip. Once it's all done select reboot system now.
  9. To enable data go Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks and check off the Data enabled button. Then select Access Point Names and manually add the apn info for your carrier.
  10. You should be all set up and ready to go with Froyo!
If you want to gain root use Universal Androot (download information seen above).

If you don't like the new screen density you can change it whenever you like by going into the /system folder and editing the build.prop file. Just change the line ro.sf.lcd_density=140 to ro.sf.lcd_density=160 to go back to default (changes will take effect after a reboot).

NOTE: There is a problem with the market where certain apps will not show up and to my knowledge we still don't have a fix for this.

Great post. You've done a great job of compiling the information scattered through the thread. If you dont mind a few comments. Each post; such as the one I have quoted could be read independently. I for instance am already on O2s 8105 build; so I scanned the topics to get to this post.

I would therefore like to see a pre-requisites section.

Android SDK with working fastboot connection to the phone (fastboot requires windows - although this post may show how to do it on linux http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/324...s-storage.html)

I havent upgraded yet - I am on Ubuntu 10.10

thanks for your efforts - good job

R

anyone having issues with the wireless hotspot feature in 2.2 ?

i keep getting an error when i attempt to turn it on.

steve, just one suggestion... if possible, and where possible... are you able to not customize 2.2 please

Edited by ipguy

Guest andycqos
OK, one quick question.

I own an unlocked UK Dell but the ROM is 2.1 from o2 (021 device).

I need to downgrade to 1.6 unlocked UK Dell ROM (031 devices).

How can I do that, where do I get the 1.6 Dell ROM for unlocked UK Streaks?

My streak is broken and I have to give it to the inssurance company!

Thx.

UK unlocked Streaks are 00 not 31

There is a thread on here about how to do it, its probably a couple of pages back now

Thanks for the step by step, but I am getting the following error.

I am currentlyj on AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) and want to go to O2 1.6 (build 4399) so I can upgrade to eventually 2.2.

I have successfully:

1. gained root access

2. installed the Dell PC utility

3. enabled fastboot

4. flashed the stock recover ROM with fastboot (recovery.stock.img) Pulled battery and removed USB

5. booted to recovery. After choosing the "Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card" option, i am taken to a screen with blue text on it. It tells me to hit Volume Down to exit or Camera button to proceed.

6. After hitting the camera button, the progress bar starts and gets about halfway done. Then I get the error : Assert failed: write_raw_image"/tmp/boot.img") :Error in /sdcard/update.pkg/dec (Status 7)

I initially thought it was a bad pkg file so I downloaded it again from an alternate browser. No luck.

Any thoughts? I really want to get off this OLD 1.6 and onto the 2.2 that I love on my Moto Droid1 (CM6.0 Nightly).

Thanks

post-774503-1287170550_thumb.jpg

Guest pjg_pigeon

[Edit]

Ok Its all working. Did a wipe in clockwork(had tried that previously), did a format of partitions, mounted boot,system & cache. Erased recovery in fastboot, re-flashed recovery.

All working now.

Hi.Trying to get from 2.2v1 to 2.2v3. Followed the guides to get back 2.1(8105) no problem.

However,cant seem to get back to 2.2v3. I get stuck at the Dell logo, periodically the device has a little vibrate and i've seen the "dell winds animation" logo more than once. I've tried the update sequence a few times.

I have a locked O2 model.

Firmware 2.1update-1

Baseband version GAUSB1A120621-EU

Kernel version 2.6.29-perf

OEM version GAUSB1A120621

Build number 8105

Not had problems with updating previous versions.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

Edited by pjg_pigeon

Guest JonesyF

Hi, my first post on this forum Iv been following for the last weeks.

I just want to confirm and tell that I have successfully upgraded a European factory unlocked dell streak from UK that was on 1.6 4399 Android.

And I have have Steves froyo 2.2 installed.

All I had to do was install stock recovery before upgrading to O2 2.1 8105, the´n install the clockwork "alt" recovery in this guide and then upgraded to v1.0. Had one problem on first start up. and that was the dell logo got stuck and the animation repeated. so I reinstalled the update. did not help.

So i did a factory reset and that cured the problem so, I probably did not have to do the second update.

Just want to comfirm you can go from a factory unlocked streak 1.6 to Steves froyo 2.2.

One problem Iv seen so far is that camera wont start up.

Grate work Steve!

Edited by JonesyF

Guest nanostreak
Android SDK with working fastboot connection to the phone (fastboot requires windows - although this post may show how to do it on linux http://androidforums.com/samsung-i7500/324...s-storage.html)

I havent upgraded yet - I am on Ubuntu 10.10

Any luck with Ubuntu (I'm still amazed that the MoDaCo community has no problem with sophisticated and risky ROM handling with something as essential as a phone but everyone seems to be on lame Windows on their desktop boxes)? I'm on Maverick on all machines but do have both Wine and XP in Virtualbox. Have you tried that? I was able to unlock my 3GS iPhone despite the USB unmount challenges during reboot so maybe that'd work with fastboot as well.

I'm wondering about Gingerbread that seems around the corner: may Dell move to that directly and when? Maybe it's not worth risking a brick? (http://phandroid.com/2010/10/18/exclusive-first-android-gingerbread-details/

and http://www.streaksmart.com/2010/07/dell-st...nuary-2011.html )

Update: no problem to do this with Ubuntu Maverick. In order to get fastboot I think one has to install the Android SDK, etc (unless there is a way of getting fastboot that I'm not aware of). Stephen's 2.2 v1 is incredible - that's the device it was supposed to be. Donating is a must.

Edited by nanostreak

Guest rockymtnbri

homeiss...

Just completed my Froyo upgrade yesterday thanks to your guide! One thing though - myself and a few others got stuck on the 2.1 to 2.2 step, and it looks like you may have omitted a step. It looks like for two gents they had to perform a factory reset to get 2.2 to load properly. Is this a correct step that needs to be included? I had to go through Clockworkmod and mount/unmount items (specifically my SD card) or clear some caches in order to get a proper boot. I would also state that reading the PDF and getting your computer ready to do this is a prerequisite.

With regards to the 1.6 O2 to 1.6 AT&T downgrade, for those of us who are unix command prompt novices could someone explain the commands that need to be run on the phone in laymen's (read: Windows users) terms?

Thanks in advance!

1 - Where does it say you need any unix commands

2 - You are posting on a thread that explains in the first post exactly what to type

With regards to the 1.6 O2 to 1.6 AT&T downgrade, for those of us who are unix command prompt novices could someone explain the commands that need to be run on the phone in laymen's (read: Windows users) terms?

Thanks in advance!

1 - Where does it say you need any unix commands

2 - You are posting on a thread that explains in the first post exactly what to type

If you just wanted to revert to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then you are done. If you are going to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) we have to change the system so it will upgrade the the AT&T ROM.

Use Root Explorer from the market to then mount the /system partition with r/w permissions. The first time you run Root Explorer it will ask for superuser permissions, click Allow and then copy recovery-from-boot.p from /sdcard to /system, copy install-recovery.sh from /sdcard to /system/etc, and copy applypatch from /sdcard to /system/bin

^ Right there. Section 6. But thanks for talking down to me, I appreciate it!

Edited by tonbar

Have you downloaded root explorer? It has a button to remount with r/w permissions... to copy you use copy and paste just like you would in windows... no unix commands needed...

If you just wanted to revert to O2 1.6 (build 4399) then you are done. If you are going to AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) we have to change the system so it will upgrade the the AT&T ROM.

Use Root Explorer from the market to then mount the /system partition with r/w permissions. The first time you run Root Explorer it will ask for superuser permissions, click Allow and then copy recovery-from-boot.p from /sdcard to /system, copy install-recovery.sh from /sdcard to /system/etc, and copy applypatch from /sdcard to /system/bin

Guest undrwater

A long press on files in root explorer will open up the copy option, then a paste button will be available at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks to everyone pointing out the broken links and thanks to rhyd for the new link. Should be updated now.

Hi, I think the link is broken again.. any chance someone has a new link?

*Please disregard.. Load balancing...*

Thanks!

Edited by Domino

Guest techwarden

Hi, I've read through the guide and this thread. I got the O2 2.1 rom installed and moved on to get Steve's Froyo 2.2 on there. The guide has me downloading Clockwork recovery.alt.img. I flashed that via fastboot as usual, but when I go into clockwork recovery - no matter what selection I choose - I just get a black screen and nothing happens. Pressing power or the menu button returns me back to the menu. Has anyone encountered this or know of a solution?

Hi, I've read through the guide and this thread. I got the O2 2.1 rom installed and moved on to get Steve's Froyo 2.2 on there. The guide has me downloading Clockwork recovery.alt.img. I flashed that via fastboot as usual, but when I go into clockwork recovery - no matter what selection I choose - I just get a black screen and nothing happens. Pressing power or the menu button returns me back to the menu. Has anyone encountered this or know of a solution?

I, too, am sitting with a black screen.