Guide to Upgrading and Downgrading the Streak

Guest homeiss

hey guys, so i was trying to upgrade my att 1.6 streak to stevens 2.2, everything was going fine through getting on 2.1, then when i went to flash the recovery for 2.2, it just said Start writing recovery and sat on that, it wouldnt finish and after about 10 minutes i finally just pulled the battery, now i seem to be stuck where i am and cannot flash any other recoveries to continue on to 2.2, also, now if i put in my sim, it doesnt recognize the network.

i really hope there is something i can do here because im totally stuck , luckily i have an unlocked iphone i can use for now but i need to fix this bad.

if theres anyone that can help please please chime in, i would truly appreciate it

thanks,

I, with at least 2 other people on this thread, am also seeing the issue when downgrading from O2 2.1 to O2 1.6 concerning "Software is up to date. System will reboot in 30 seconds." issue when trying to update to 4399. Any advice on this issue? I need to return this to old Streak to Dell soon :rolleyes:

I solved this. There's actually an error in the guide. On the 2.2 -> 2.1 and O2 2.1 -> O2 1.6 downgrade step #3 to get the recovery image, he links a 6941 recovery which is NOT correct, as you notice later on when he references recovery.stock.new.img, which does not exist in the image. Download that here, thanks to spences10 in this thread. I was then able to flash 4399 with that recovery image.

hi,

i tried installing the O2 1.6/2.1 for the last couple of hours but i always get an error :rolleyes:

any idea what could have gone wrong? it just presents me with that error, restarts, and goes back into the dell 1.6 firmware (8116)...

//EDIT:

nevermind. -> http://android.modaco.com/content-page/319...failed/page/20/

post-786287-1289374331_thumb.jpg

Edited by dmd.

Guest Wonsanim

why I try to Flash using your instructions on how to flash from AT&T 1.6 to O2 1.6 to O2 2.1,My device never can get Download RECOVERY Done! can't pass fastboot -i 0x413c flash recovery recovery.stock.img after enter allways and invalid message. B) some help please :)

Guest pogiewun

hello everyone. i am trying to downgrade from O2 1.6 build 4399 to AT&T 1.6 build 6601. ive followed the directions homeiss gave and am getting the FOTA model name mismatch error. can someone help me out?

Guest phoneadict
same problem and looks like no solution for now.B)

Me too. I tried this on two different Streaks bought from Best Buy (white versions). Did Dell somehow block this on the newer model?

Guest phoneadict
Thanks for the step by step, but I am getting the following error.

I am currentlyj on AT&T 1.6 (build 6601) and want to go to O2 1.6 (build 4399) so I can upgrade to eventually 2.2.

I have successfully:

1. gained root access

2. installed the Dell PC utility

3. enabled fastboot

4. flashed the stock recover ROM with fastboot (recovery.stock.img) Pulled battery and removed USB

5. booted to recovery. After choosing the "Software upgrade via Update.pkg on SD Card" option, i am taken to a screen with blue text on it. It tells me to hit Volume Down to exit or Camera button to proceed.

6. After hitting the camera button, the progress bar starts and gets about halfway done. Then I get the error : Assert failed: write_raw_image"/tmp/boot.img") :Error in /sdcard/update.pkg/dec (Status 7)

I initially thought it was a bad pkg file so I downloaded it again from an alternate browser. No luck.

Any thoughts? I really want to get off this OLD 1.6 and onto the 2.2 that I love on my Moto Droid1 (CM6.0 Nightly).

Thanks

post-774503-1287170550_thumb.jpg

Glad to see I'm not alone with this error. Is your Streak the new white version by chance?

Glad to see I'm not alone with this error. Is your Streak the new white version by chance?

I'm having the same exact problem, and i have the new white streak too. I'm going to try upgrading by changing the baseband.

Guest phoneadict
I'm having the same exact problem, and i have the new white streak too. I'm going to try upgrading by changing the baseband.

That bricked my first white streak, thus why I have a second one.

Guest topshelf95

I have a new streak on the 6601 build and am following the steps to move to 4399, 8105, and hopefully get to 2.2. However, i have hit a major roadblock. When I try to flash to 4399 everything goes smoothly until the progress bar gets half way and then tells me my "Software is up to date: Rebooting in 30 seconds"

I am not new to flashing and was putting a new rom on the captivate every other day, so I'm not new to following directions and reading the forums for help. I have found several other threads from the past months with the same problem, but no one ever posted a fix!!! I've tried every combo I can thing of, flashed different recovery's, tried skipping 4399 all together, tried using clockwork and changed the .pkg to a zip file. I've never had such a hard time getting past one thing while flashing. I'm hoping I'm just missing something really obvious and it's an easy fix, but can someone please help me!! I have read and re-read the directions and can't find anything I am missing B) :) :)

Guest Alex Misa

I'm getting the exact same error, no matter what I do. I've been trying non stop for the last few days to get rid of 1.6, and can not get any further...

I'm on a new white one too bought from Best Buy for ATT in the US.

Someone PLEASE help.

Guest madd_dog
hello everyone. i am trying to downgrade from O2 1.6 build 4399 to AT&T 1.6 build 6601. ive followed the directions homeiss gave and am getting the FOTA model name mismatch error. can someone help me out?

I am seeing the same error.. Help

Guest Alex Misa

Any solutions to error : Assert failed: write_raw_image"/tmp/boot.img") :Error in /sdcard/update.pkg/dec (Status 7)

problem a few of us have been having with the white streaks?

Has anyone been able to upgrade the white streak to Froyo, either official or Steves?

Guest topshelf95

It is confirmed white streak can not be upgraded via these steps even with the correct recovery images. I soft bricked mine and had to go into the irc chat channel where they used a specific software tool to unbrick me and get me to 2.2. From there i was able to go to dj steves build. i posted a thread in the forum a couple days ago that disciusses it. "Warning white dell streak is different"

Edited by topshelf95

I used to have a full head of hair, but, unfortunately, I spent the past two days trying to upgrade my Dell Streak with an AT&T chip (bought from Dell) with 1.6 to get to either 2.1 or 2.2. I am taping a video tomorrow to demo our new Android application and it has to be on 2.1 or above.

I keep getting stuck at the same place no matter which version I try. I can connect via USB and place files anywhere I want. But when I put in Fastboot mode, and I successfully launch fastboot.exe with the appropriate arguments, it just sits there saying waiting for device. A fastboot device reveals that it does not see the device. I have tried between 5 and 30,000 different USB drivers, and I tried personally pleading with the Streak to accept a friendly visit from my PC, but to no avail.

So I have between 5 am (when I start work) and noon tomorrow to successfully do what I have not been able to do for the last 2 days, which is to get my Dell Streak to 2.1 or 2.2.

My baseband does not end in 00 (I tried that anyway and got the now famous error that everyone gets). I am on 1.6 build 6601 and my baseband ends in 231 - US version.

I am authorized by my boss (which is me) to offer a kings ransom to the person that can help me get this done by noon tomorrow! Notice that I did not say which king, so don't get too excited.

Guest Alex Misa

I had the same problem and the only drivers that finally fixed it was the PDAnet program and the drivers it installed.

Here's the link:

http://www.junefabrics.com/android/

Install and follow the direction it tells you.

Then I used this exact guide to get from ATT 1.6 to O2 1.6 to O2 2.1 and finally official 2.2

Good luck, this step caused me lots of problems too.

Guest tavella

Have you installed the Dell Streak software package and the Android SDK? My Streak came from Dell running 1.6 (6601) and I had no issues upgrading to 4399, 8105, and down to 6267. I am using a Mac so my fastboot process works without drivers. Have you placed the device in fastboot mode without the USB cable connected, plug it in, and check the device manager for any unknown devices? If you see one or a composite device, try to force the inf from the Android SDK folder.

I used to have a full head of hair, but, unfortunately, I spent the past two days trying to upgrade my Dell Streak with an AT&T chip (bought from Dell) with 1.6 to get to either 2.1 or 2.2. I am taping a video tomorrow to demo our new Android application and it has to be on 2.1 or above.

I keep getting stuck at the same place no matter which version I try. I can connect via USB and place files anywhere I want. But when I put in Fastboot mode, and I successfully launch fastboot.exe with the appropriate arguments, it just sits there saying waiting for device. A fastboot device reveals that it does not see the device. I have tried between 5 and 30,000 different USB drivers, and I tried personally pleading with the Streak to accept a friendly visit from my PC, but to no avail.

So I have between 5 am (when I start work) and noon tomorrow to successfully do what I have not been able to do for the last 2 days, which is to get my Dell Streak to 2.1 or 2.2.

My baseband does not end in 00 (I tried that anyway and got the now famous error that everyone gets). I am on 1.6 build 6601 and my baseband ends in 231 - US version.

I am authorized by my boss (which is me) to offer a kings ransom to the person that can help me get this done by noon tomorrow! Notice that I did not say which king, so don't get too excited.

I had the same problem and the only drivers that finally fixed it was the PDAnet program and the drivers it installed.

Here's the link:

Then I used this exact guide to get from ATT 1.6 to O2 1.6 to O2 2.1 and finally official 2.2

Thanks. I have, indeed, tried pdanet to no avail.

Have you installed the Dell Streak software package and the Android SDK? My Streak came from Dell running 1.6 (6601) and I had no issues upgrading to 4399, 8105, and down to 6267. I am using a Mac so my fastboot process works without drivers. Have you placed the device in fastboot mode without the USB cable connected, plug it in, and check the device manager for any unknown devices? If you see one or a composite device, try to force the inf from the Android SDK folder.

Thanks! Yes, and yes. I do have an unidentified device, but it will not let me update the device driver.

Here's the link:

Actually, now that I think about it, pdanet had no problem connecting to the streak in normal mode, but when in fastboot mode it said it could not connect