Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest danielj58
I'm interested in the Advent Vega, but I'm a newbie to tablets and Android so please allow me to ask 2 dumb questions!

1. In it's standard format will I be able to retrieve email using my wifi connection (not web mail, but a [email protected] type email that I normally do with Outlook)

2. This thread seems to say the addition of Gingerbread will be a useful potential upgrade - would this normally be free if I bought one when they first become available>

Thanks

Simon

1. Yea, email shouldn't be a problem, by default 2.2 supports POP3, IMAP and exchange.

2. If it gets released chances are it'll be free, be it an official update or a community ROM. It's traditional to make a donation to the creator of a custom ROM should you like it, but it isn't mandatory.

Hope that helps :-)

I'm interested in the Advent Vega, but I'm a newbie to tablets and Android so please allow me to ask 2 dumb questions!

1. In it's standard format will I be able to retrieve email using my wifi connection (not web mail, but a [email protected] type email that I normally do with Outlook)

2. This thread seems to say the addition of Gingerbread will be a useful potential upgrade - would this normally be free if I bought one when they first become available>

Thanks

Simon

There should be a pop/imap mail application (I think it is the standard android one, at least on the AC100).

OS upgrades ought to be free - and indications are that the device is not strongly locked down so no real concerns there.

Guest shutdown

There are various email apps out there so would imagine it to be possible. I'm android-less at the moment as phone in for repair but i used to be able to pickup email from my server.

Google don't charge for Android so it will be free but getting it might be a different story but there are many resources that will help in that area.

I just popped into my local PC world and Currys. PC world had space and a little banner saying tablets coming soon with pictures of the Tab. Was able to ask for a demo of the Tab but no workers around so gave up and left.

Went next door to Currys

They had a tab and a Folio pretty well hidden way on a shelf to play with.

The Tab is better than expected but NOT EVEN Close to being worth £500. For the size of it I was amazed they put it into that price bracket.

The Folio was (sorry to any new owners) HORRIBLE! I see what people mean about the viewing angle. The shelf the unit sat on meant you couldn't see the screen without picking it up and tugging on the security cable. I was awaiting the screaming alarm at any point.

Fuzzy screen, looked really soft and it appeared sluggish when moving stuff around.

Might have a great name behind it but this would put me off buying a tablet. Samsung got the crispness right and the feel of the unit but the Tosh really missed a beat with that area.

Just my thoughts, please note I'm not starting a slagging match :)

Guest swarrans
1. Yea, email shouldn't be a problem, by default 2.2 supports POP3, IMAP and exchange.

2. If it gets released chances are it'll be free, be it an official update or a community ROM. It's traditional to make a donation to the creator of a custom ROM should you like it, but it isn't mandatory.

Hope that helps :-)

Many thanks Daniel, tsh and shutdown - I think I'm going to buy one of these when they come out then!

The only other thing I'm worried about is having to do mega-scrolling when looking at my favourite forums etc - perhaps with the touch screen that will actually be quicker than with a mouse, but it's not something I'm used to

Simon

Guest shutdown

after scrolling on my HD2 (with Andriod on it) scrolling actually becomes quite satisfying with the little flicks of the finger.

it does become second nature so would't worry. if the pages are too long just turn the tablet to portrait position and it'll make the web pages longer on the screen reducing the length of the scroll

Guest Bisto321
Just my thoughts, please note I'm not starting a slagging match :)

How dare you have a go at my beloved folio! oh, hold on a minute, he's right it’s pretty bad.

I hate being an early adopter - Tegra2 android tablet with these specs should be a killer gadget (the GL figures on the folio thread prove it) what on earth has Toshiba done?

The Advent is going to creep up and 'do what it say's on the tin' hopefully - if it’s good and Toshiba have not updated the folio I will probably swap mine out.

At the moment you could probably argue that it is not a finished product and needs some driver and UI work before it is truly fit for purpose.

Guest Carbonize
Any news on the Vega hitting stores?

Well as the release date has been announced as the 18th they're not going to be in stores until a day or two before that if not on the day.

Guest firedup
Well as the release date has been announced as the 18th they're not going to be in stores until a day or two before that if not on the day.

There did seem to be some suggestion though that it might have been released this weekend according to some posts on here...

Guest tabor56

I thought the folio was horrible for the price, felt ok in the hand but crap screen and unresponsive. The galaxy tab was ok but it just made me go meh! big phone, although I did say that first about iPad but i dont think i would buy a tablet under 9.7". If the vega is better than the folio, at £250 would be a steal really.

Although I just hope they stick to their word and put Honeycomb on it.

Guest shutdown

they don't need to stick to their word really. There's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself when it comes out. I'm sure there will be a way to do it through the various genius' out there :)

Guest griff_dai
I thought the folio was horrible for the price, felt ok in the hand but crap screen and unresponsive. The galaxy tab was ok but it just made me go meh! big phone, although I did say that first about iPad but i dont think i would buy a tablet under 9.7". If the vega is better than the folio, at £250 would be a steal really.

Although I just hope they stick to their word and put Honeycomb on it.

I can't get over how shitty the Tab is to hold... It's plastic fantastic... The price is insane, who would ever buy it over the cheaper ipad??

Guest Carbonize

Well I just popped in to the Currys/PC World mega store in Bristol and tried both the Folio and the Tab and I also tried the iPad when there. Have to say the Folio was a pain at times with the back button etc not always working. Having played with the iPad and Folio I definitely feel 10" is to big for my needs and the Tab felt just right for reading on and watching movies. Now if only it wasn't such a stupid damn price.

I can't get over how shitty the Tab is to hold... It's plastic fantastic... The price is insane, who would ever buy it over the cheaper ipad??

The iPad isn't cheaper...? The equivalent iPad is slightly more expensive (32GB 3G Tab is £529.99 from CPW).

The price isn't MASSIVELY more than, say, an unlocked Galaxy S so it's kinda proportional. Still a lot of cash tho! :)

P

Guest Carbonize

I was just perusing Ebay thinking of buying either the SP-58 or SP-59 I linked to earlier. I found that the manufacturer of both sells direct on Ebay and they also have this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-Android-2-2-Tablet...=item4aa59adb35

Processor CPU: Freescale freescale iMX515 1.2GHz ARM Cortex A8 core

Operating System: Google Android 2.2 Froyo support Flash10.1

Memory RAM: 512MB DDR2 (emphasis: Flash10 fluent)

Memory ROM: 4GB (Built-in TF card for easy assembly Upgrade)

Extensible Storage: 32GB TF card, maximum support

Display: 1024 × 768 8-inch LCD screen LCD

Sounds very nice but it has a square screen :-/ - Just a bad photo

Edited by Carbonize

Guest griff_dai
The iPad isn't cheaper...? The equivalent iPad is slightly more expensive (32GB 3G Tab is £529.99 from CPW).

The price isn't MASSIVELY more than, say, an unlocked Galaxy S so it's kinda proportional. Still a lot of cash tho! :)

P

Ok, I have been back again this morning after the gym, immediately the Pad don't have the internet running in store so all it's full functions I can't see.

However the build quality for a niche high end product is fecking horrible.....

I am now waiting to see the Vega and also the Archos 101

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index....boxing#more6067

Guest Carbonize

OK I'd love some advice from either Paul or one of the other techies. Since I want either a 7" or 8" device would you suggest the ARCHOS 70 or 8" Android 2.2 Tablet MID 1.2GHZ 512M 4GB+Leather Case.

Will probably go for the Archos to be honest as it has uPNP support so I can stream from my computer but still welcome comments.

The Ebay one has resistive screen so that's a no go :|

Edited by Carbonize

Will these android tablets be able to run Opera Mini?

Only I use mobile broadband at home and could go on to a cheaper tariff using Opera's compression servers.

Guest shutdown
Will these android tablets be able to run Opera Mini?

Only I use mobile broadband at home and could go on to a cheaper tariff using Opera's compression servers.

provided you can sideload opera onto it i don't see why not. all depends on what callbacks the software makes

Just been to my local currys to have a look at the Toshiba & G-tab. The Toshiba already had Opera installed on it, can't remember if it was mini or mobile though.

They also had a spot and tag for the Advent tablet, as per one of the photos earlier.

What really bugged me is neither of the tablets were setup to access their wi-fi! it's almost pointless having them on display if you can't have a good go at trying them out. At least I could see what the responsiveness was like of these competitors.

Having said that, I think I'll now wait for a 10" tablet with 3G access. Although I think the Galaxy Tablet is pretty nice if expensive.

Just been to my local currys to have a look at the Toshiba & G-tab. The Toshiba already had Opera installed on it, can't remember if it was mini or mobile though.

They also had a spot and tag for the Advent tablet, as per one of the photos earlier.

What really bugged me is neither of the tablets were setup to access their wi-fi! it's almost pointless having them on display if you can't have a good go at trying them out. At least I could see what the responsiveness was like of these competitors.

Having said that, I think I'll now wait for a 10" tablet with 3G access. Although I think the Galaxy Tablet is pretty nice if expensive.

Same in my currys, I just tethered my desire to test the net out tho