Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Carbonize

Makes you wonder if it's just Tesco price matching or if Samsung has sent out notifications saying the price is now lower. Not that shops price fix or anything :rolleyes:

Guest ricwales1

I been watching out for the advent. So decided to take a trip to my local store today. Nothing out on the shelf so questioned a member of staff who advised me "they have pulled the vega due to a security issue with the device".

Being rather puzzled and taken back by this and not really trusting what these guys say in store anyway, i called the 0844 number from the website and asked about the advent only to be told the same pulled due to issues and no release date given.

Anyone else being told the same?

Seems strange as they have included the advent in the gift guide book in store. However the Toshiba is in the guide also and thas has been pulled as you all know.

Was also told that the advent brand was to be renamed "sandstrom" again this was advised by staff in store so just hearsay.

Edited by ricwales1

Guest swarrans

Oh dear, that sounds worrying, I'd kind of set my heart on getting one this week!

If it has been pulled I guess it's no surprise that it is still in a catalogue as the lead time for those must be greater than the rate this story is moving!

Hope it's not true though...

Couldn't wait, tried the folio in currys and wondered if the 10" size was just not for me. I decided I needed the extra portaility a 7" would give me.

Popped into carphone warehouse and bought the galaxy tab for £454!

Very happy with the purchase too, the advent is £200 cheaper? But I don't think the experience can match the the tab!

Guest ricwales1

See i dont trust these pcworld staff.

When i asked about the advent on the phone i also asked about the Archos 10.1 as an alternative, only for the guy not to have a clue and ask how to spell it.

For me the advent is all i need to browse the web on the sofa, so i do hope all i have been told was just miss leading and that it does come out for the weekend.

As im off again on friday I might pop past for a look again.

Edited by ricwales1

I'm 99% sure I picked up one on Sunday (Nov 14th) at the smaller Dixon's in LHR Terminal 1. It had no power but looked exactly like the Vega.

I sure hope it's out before Friday since I fly home to Canada and would like to get one on my way through LHR.

Guest firedup
Couldn't wait, tried the folio in currys and wondered if the 10" size was just not for me. I decided I needed the extra portaility a 7" would give me.

Popped into carphone warehouse and bought the galaxy tab for £454!

Very happy with the purchase too, the advent is £200 cheaper? But I don't think the experience can match the the tab!

How did you get in for £454?

Guest simon.n.jonez

hi guys,electric pig are right,this weekend should be a go for the vega,i got an email from anina castle saying she expects them to be in the shops this weekend. WOOP WOOP.

is it wrong i still want the folio though,16 gig hd and more buttons. not worth the extra but my gf is buying it for me so i dont care.

Guest Bisto321
I'm 99% sure I picked up one on Sunday (Nov 14th) at the smaller Dixon's in LHR Terminal 1. It had no power but looked exactly like the Vega.

I sure hope it's out before Friday since I fly home to Canada and would like to get one on my way through LHR.

I also did a double take at the weekend , advent do a 10 inch photo frame and it looks just like the vega! I do hope they have not put the vega's gubbins inside a photo frame :rolleyes:

this link would also suggest the name change may be true

advent photo frame

Guest space_cowboy1985

Ive never been so excited about a product, I've a bad case of the tablet fever, I hear the only cure is to get one now with 2.2 or a suppository. The pessimist in me thinks that bad things come in 3 (galaxys tab shocker of a price tab, broke my heart. The Alice in Wonder Land adventure that was the Folio, I really wanted this, and to insult to injury I got an email tonight from Handster asking whether I wanted to host my apps with them for use on Folio). But the optimist says 3rd time a charm bring on the weekend trip to Currys.

There had best be a weekend trip, if I have live with more disappointment Im telling the kids that santas not real. Fairs fair and all that.

Guest welshblob
It certinaly does look like it, and the display is a very close match for the screen shown on the advert page, desktop apps + 3 red arrows pointing to the right

I thought the vega had a black surround\back and that appears to have a silver one?

Is that an Advent Vega on the left?

No it looks like a blurred smudged thing taken through a blurred lens by a guy with blurred vision

But if it is associated with that Apple logo, then the iBlurred will be in the shops soon flying off the shelves at £899

Guest dragon2611
I also did a double take at the weekend , advent do a 10 inch photo frame and it looks just like the vega! I do hope they have not put the vega's gubbins inside a photo frame :rolleyes:

this link would also suggest the name change may be true

advent photo frame

Can't see anything advent on that page?

Guest dragon2611
I believe they are referring to the possible Advent name change to Sandstrom, there is a digial photo frame on that page which looks like the Vega as well with the name Sandstrom

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-s1...979060-pdt.html

For a closer look

Errm wasn't the Vega widescreen where as that is 4.3?

Apart from perhaps the surround of the screen it really doesn't look anything like the vega :rolleyes:

I'd also doubt very much they'd put a tegra2 in a photo-frame it would be overkill.

Edited by dragon2611