Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bisto321
I believe they are referring to the possible Advent name change to Sandstrom, there is a digial photo frame on that page which looks like the Vega as well with the name Sandstrom

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sandstrom-s1...979060-pdt.html

For a closer look

Yes, referring to the name change. Unlikely though, don't you think?

The frame in PCW was still branded Advent and from the front looked a dead ringer, this picture frame is 4:3 but the one I saw looked 16:9.

I notice that the frame has a resolution of 1024x768. Might pop in to PCW again tomorrow to have a look at the screen quality - could be an indication of what to expect on the Advent.

Guest Bisto321
Errm wasn't the Vega widescreen where as that is 4.3?

Apart from perhaps the surround of the screen it really doesn't look anything like the vega :huh:

I'd also doubt very much they'd put a tegra2 in a photo-frame it would be overkill.

Yeah, I think you missed the context of my post.

I was responding to the post from the guy who thought he had seen one at Heathrow.

Without power and if it was the widescreen one that I had seen in store, It did look like the IFA demo model.

Easy to spot that it was not, on closer inspection, because;

A - It was with the photo frames

B - It was a photo frame!

Tegra2 in a photo frame would be overkill - but if the Advent comes with the same screen that the folio did it may as well be a photo frame!

I think I needed to add a smiley to my quip about 'gubbins in a photo frame’. I was joking obviously - Unless, ADVENT/Sandstrom have decided to 'tool up' for sharing casings and screens across the photo frame and tablet range? Then you could well end up with a Tegra2 frame - joking again, obviously...........................or am I?

I hope it is out on Thu/Fri and I hope it is good. No pressure PCW it had just better be FU**ING AWESOME or I am going to hunt you all down and make you watch flash videos on the folio, in portrait, until your eyes bleed - fairy nuff :rolleyes:

Guest Unguided
Yeah, I think you missed the context of my post.

I was responding to the post from the guy who thought he had seen one at Heathrow.

Without power and if it was the widescreen one that I had seen in store, It did look like the IFA demo model.

Easy to spot that it was not, on closer inspection, because;

A - It was with the photo frames

B - It was a photo frame!

Tegra2 in a photo frame would be overkill - but if the Advent comes with the same screen that the folio did it may as well be a photo frame!

I think I needed to add a smiley to my quip about 'gubbins in a photo frame’. I was joking obviously - Unless, ADVENT/Sandstrom have decided to 'tool up' for sharing casings and screens across the photo frame and tablet range? Then you could well end up with a Tegra2 frame - joking again, obviously...........................or am I?

I hope it is out on Thu/Fri and I hope it is good. No pressure PCW it had just better be FU**ING AWESOME or I am going to hunt you all down and make you watch flash videos on the folio, in portrait, until your eyes bleed - fairy nuff :rolleyes:

That would just be evil, though would you really want spend a grand to be that evil :huh:

Guest Bisto321
That would just be evil, though would you really want spend a grand to be that evil :rolleyes:

yeah, had not thought that through had I. Just have to piss on their cornflakes instead!

Guest shutdown

i'm more annoyed that if they stick the advent on the shelves on saturday that i can't get to a store because i'm shooting a wedding.

i can see it now, PCW have on shelves 10 Vega's on Saturday, I go to the store on Sunday and they've sold out

Guest Bisto321
Red x's means not available yet ? ?

yeah, jumped gun slightly - but looks good for that actual realease date. Off to shops in a mo will go to PCW and ask a few Q's

Guest Bisto321
Oh dam so it is, in the specs there is nothing about multi touch screen?

If I go into a store and try it and it does not have multi touch (it does though I am sure) I will buy one and send it off to the guy who 'blends' stuff

My favourite one to date;

Guest MarkoUK
Im off to PCW Tottenham court road to check out availability, dates, etc.

Report back as soon as possible.

I'm might make a special trip out to get one if they're in stock.

Guest swarrans
Report back as soon as possible.

I'm might make a special trip out to get one if they're in stock.

I called the PCW Head Office (and obviously this might not be accurate :rolleyes: ) but they said they are not available in store yet and when they are the online advert will change to show them as available. I only called because the current advert implies that they may be available if you go in store.

Regards

Simon

Guest Bisto321

Just been into my local PCW to have a look, none in yet :huh: - so head office is correct

While I was playing with the Galaxy tab (rooted it, well it would be rude not to :rolleyes: ) one of the sales bods came over and I quizzed him about the expected dates for the Vega and he said one to two weeks!

This has made me quite excited as they are always wrong. I will go back on Friday and will probably be able to pick one up

Interestingly he informed me that they did have another tablet in but they had to withdraw it for a while and that I might also consider and iPad, as a lot of people do not like the android system.

I may well consider his offer - In much the same way that I may consider eating a plate of fu**ing glass!

Guest Bisto321
so does this have a 3g sim slot or what? thats what put me off the tosh. well and that the tosh had only tosh market and its bugged...

No this one does not have a 3g capabilities - Slot may be there(was some speculation about this, see Pauls first couple of posts in this thread) but the 3G hardware is not on this one - just like the folio.

Both the folio and advent are scheduled to bring 3G models to market in Q1 next year - I think I read that, yeah sure I did.......best check though........getting old now..........

90% (plucked that figure from my head) of users would be looking to tether to an existing mobile and use wifi, so many will not care about 3G - Though you do obviously.

Looks like you will have to wait until next year if you are not a 'tetherer' <--- is that a word - is now!