Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bisto321

Reply from mail I sent to PR team today.

I am informed by our category team that it will be available mid-to end of next week with a few from a first delivery online early next week.

Anina Castle. Head of Consumer PR

Sent from my Blackberry

B) :) :)

Guest Carbonize
Ordered and cancelled an Archos 101 after being dicked around

How were you dicked around? I ordered my Archos 70 ten days ago and it arrived today. Not got round to trying it yet and that's only if she lets me have it early as it's my Christmas present.

Guest kudos 555

wont help you guys but every time i went into pcworld to check on vega, archos or folio kept having a play with the samsung tab, the 7 inch sold me in the end, 10inch feels ackward and less likey to carry it when out, it justs felt right.....so paid the extra

apps scale nice, lovely size browser/picture viewer/ movie player

if i didnt go for the tab would be looking at the 7inch archos......just sits right as a portable device, but just my needs but i would try both sizes before buying and see whcih suits you the best.

How were you dicked around? I ordered my Archos 70 ten days ago and it arrived today. Not got round to trying it yet and that's only if she lets me have it early as it's my Christmas present.

I'm sure they will be getting their act together quickly but they have been seriously mismanaging expectations re delivery. That's not to say they are the only ones guilty of this B)

PS: Suggest you try it sooner rather than later in case there's any problem and it needs returning < there's your excuse for not waiting to xmas :)

Lurker for several weeks, first post so obligatory "Hello all!". I feel all your frustration. Ordered and cancelled an Archos 101 after being dicked around

I've seen the 16GB Archos 101 for sale in person at the Micro Anvika in Westfield London for £299.99.

They have had them since the start of November. It's also up on their website.

I've seen the 16GB Archos 101 for sale in person at the Micro Anvika in Westfield London for £299.99.

They have had them since the start of November. It's also up on their website.

Thanks, that's good to know if I change my mind. What did you think of it?

Guest Bisto321
wont help you guys but every time i went into pcworld to check on vega, archos or folio kept having a play with the samsung tab, the 7 inch sold me in the end, 10inch feels ackward and less likey to carry it when out, it justs felt right.....so paid the extra

apps scale nice, lovely size browser/picture viewer/ movie player

if i didnt go for the tab would be looking at the 7inch archos......just sits right as a portable device, but just my needs but i would try both sizes before buying and see whcih suits you the best.

Yep, I too was set fast at 10 inch or nowt and have been doing the same as you.

"hello mr PCW chap, when are we expecting the vega then?", chap shrugs and I say "never mind, while I am here I will play with this galaxy tab, it has got such a lovely screen"

I went into Staples tonight and they have the Linx Commtiva for £329 and the Tab for, wait for it...........................................

£449! another £20 quid has come off.

PCW and Tesco have not followed this price yet, but I bet they will. At this rate we will all be getting them with next sundays papers.

I must say I am very tempted - When I had my folio last week I was very conscious of the fact that I had to cram my bag (with the folio in it) into my 'borris bike' holder. The smaller 7inch platform will make this less of a worry, especially with the Gorilla glass screen. Yes, I have seen the youtube videos of cracked gorilla glass, but I would imagine you would have to try hard to crack it or at least be very unlucky with your impact point.

Also, the Commtiva is pretty nice. The screen is a good few levels below the Tab, but the view angles on it are pretty much the same and is magnitudes better (10inch I know) than the folio.

It seemed quite smooth and live wallpapers seemed to run quite nicely(not a great test but I like pretty things).

But now the tab has dropped again it is only(reasonably large only) £120 cheaper than the tab - don't think the tab is quite £120 better than the Commtiva, but it is very close.

If I had to get one tomorrow (and I may just have to) I think the tab would be coming home with me.

Have a look at the staples site - http://www.staples.co.uk/pcs-and-laptops/tablets - and they are doing an "up to £60 off laptop trade in" if you have an old £60 laptop lying around, wow, cheap as chips!

The staples site shows ex-VAT as default, go to the top right to inc VAT and see that

£449

price - Sorry for those of you that bought at £469(or higher!) the extra few quid is well worth the extra time with that lovely screen B)

Does it sound like I have talked myself into the Galaxy Tab? Yes, I think it does. But I am fed up waiting for a 10 inch tablet, with a good screen and good (fully implemented is key here) specs.

I think Saturday may be my cut off point.

There are worse things in life to be waiting for than a bit of expensive tech kit, life is too short – I will get a 10inch tab later or maybe an 8 or 9. Not sure.

I am sure, however, that someone will buy a used galaxy tab for a good sum in the future and that is also what draws me to it, rather than another possibly flaky, poor screened 10incher.

Oh, Jedward were crap by the way – but my daughter liked them, so that’s ok and now I won’t feel so guilty spending £400ish on myself so close to Christmas :)

Also, just noticed the Pudsey bear at the top of the page - Well Done MoDaCo, forgot it was the 19th now.

My wife has had a terrible week helping with a sick child at the school she works in - the parents must be going through hell.

Children in need is the only charity I have ever given to and this week has made me remember why - If you can give a bit, please do.

Edited by Bisto321

Guest Dogeron

I'm like most of the lurkers that have been happily but impatiently following this thread, fully intending to buy a Vega for "her indoors" (honestly! B) ) when a flyer arrives from a company like Morgan Computers to completely screw up the thought process.......

They have a "Google Tablet" machine on their website - Morgan Computers - for £170.

Is anyone able to identify this machine or able to provide info.....

Thanks

Dog.

Information on this product

Stock with us 1st December 2010

This great new top specification Android 2.1 10" Touch screen Tablet PC is convenient, easy to use and the latest in personal computing trends. This is perfect for those who want to work on projects or e-mails while they’re out and about, but don’t want to carry around something as bulky as a laptop.

It has a blistering ARM 11 procesor, 1GHz FSB, two USB ports, SD card slot and 256Mb of built-in memory. It has Wi-Fi connectivity and a Li-ion battery that lets you use the tablet for 2.5 or more hours without a recharge. With your google account, you can download a huge variety of free and paid software from the Android Market.

It also comes with a huge array of applications and games to get you up and running. Amazing power and capability at an unbelievably low price!

Includes a leather style case with built in keyboard

INCLUDES ALL THESE SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS

Browser * Documents to go (Word, Excel, PPT, PDF) * Note Pad

* Facebook * Twitter * Ebuddy * MSN

* SKYPE * YouTube * Freedi * Youtube

* Downloader * Radio Time

* Listen (Audio Sources) * Real Player

* Music Player * iReader * Ebook Aldiko

* Ebook Laputa * RSS Reader

* Daily Paper * Newspapers * Email

* Google Maps * OI File Manager

* App Store * SlideMe Marketplace

* Photo Gallery * PicSayPro * Calculator

* Alarm Clock * Benchmark

GAMES:

* Athol Adventure * FarmFrenzylite

* Puzzle Blox Arcade * Puzzles

Display: 10.1” 16:9 widescreen 1024x600

high-brightness TFT LCD with 4-Direction

Rotate screen

Resistive Touch Control: Full size touch

operation, Sliding menu,

CPU: ARM 11, 1GHz FSB

Operating System: Google Android V2.1

RAM: 256MB DDR2 800Mhz

Storage: 2GB

Built-in Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g Wi-Fi

Ethernet: 10/100MB Ethernet

Audio: Stereo speakers , Built-in mike

Video: 1080P - AVI, H.263, MKV, 3GP,

RMVB, RM Playing

Card Reader: High speed TF (16GB Max)

Ports/Slots: DC In, Earphone Jack, TF Card

Slot, 1xUSB2.0 Host Port, 1 x USB 2.0 OTG

Port, 1xRJ 45

Power/Battery: 7.4V, 2400mAh WiFi On:

2.5-3 Hrs, WiFi Off: 4-5 Hrs

Size/Weight: 270 x 180 x 10mm - 750g

Stock Status (Stock with us 1st December 2010)

New

Edited by Dogeron

Guest sukh singh

I work for currys computer department lol can try get some info this weekend. Just be warned. Dixons group are apple fan boys. They just think android tablets are cheap rip offs of ipads. We have extensive apple training yet no android? And as for marketing.terrible.

@Dogeron: I'd await the Vega before deciding. Problem with the cheaper tab's is battery capacity and charging time. My iRoot r2 gets ~3hrs reading ebooks (low brightness, off-line) but takes 6/7hrs to recharge. Gets annoying after a while.

Guest removed-14
Its up for sale on the site now!

Not showing as instore - best to check I suppose?

Let posts of calls and visits commence..............

Actually add to that you can now add one to your online basket which you could not do before!

Guest JingleManSweep

Just ordered mine from the PC World website. It says expect delivery between Today[?] (19th November) and Monday (22nd November).

Took my payment okay etc.

Guest Bisto321
Actually add to that you can now add one to your online basket which you could not do before!

Yeah, sorry that’s what I meant. I took it for granted that everyone knew about it after all the posts yesterday

Guest JingleManSweep
Don't forget 3% Cashback at Quidco...

Oh dear, too late!

Paul, I saw your tweet about new forum for Advent Vega going up today? Can't wait. I've already prepared the Advent Vega page at my Android Guide site, and I've even started a MoDaCo wiki page for it too. I'll update my links to MoDaCo as soon as the forum is up!

Guest whatkatedoes

GAH! This flim-flamming will bring about bi-polar disorder in all of us!

Am itching to get one.. but I'd really love someone's handson experience of what they're like, less the software, more the physicality and viewing angles...