Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest JingleManSweep

I ordered mine at about 8.45am this morning. I have yet to receive any further communication from PC World (telephone or email) apart from the initial order acknowledgement email.

However, they have (initially) charged my debit card for the amount. My available funds has dropped by approximately £250, but hasn't cleared yet so isn't affecting my displayed balance. So, either they are intending on dispatching today or they are being dodgy and charging my card in advance.

Guest removed-14

My available balance too has dropped by the value of a Vega.

@Paul: Has your quidco transaction been confirmed?

Edited by removed-14

Guest English Haze
Sorry, to clarify that... Your order will or will not be fulfilled by the stock they had at the start of this morning?

Will NOT be... hence my cynical assumption that they don't have any.

Guest JingleManSweep
Will NOT be... hence my cynical assumption that they don't have any.

Maybe you missed out by a few minutes. You said that you placed your order at 9.30am which might have been after they ran out of stock but before the website was updated with the new stock status. Did they telephone you? If so, they were probably managing your expectations. I have yet to receive a phone call and they have charged my debit card, and I was only about 45 minutes before you.

Guest john newhouse

i ordered my vega at 09.52 this morning.

i got confirmation email from them. i have had nothing from them after that.

i just logged in to my account on pcworld website and i get this message

Vega Internet Tablet - Due to unprecedented demand we have sold out and will be back in stock next week

i have just checked my quidco and it has tracked my pcworld purchase, but at 0.00 value.

so i have no idea when i will be getting mine.

i have not had an email stating that its now on back order

and i have no idea when i will get some quidco amount tracking.

Guest Curfish

i ordered about 9:15 from pcworld and my available funds have also dropped by £250, fingers crossed!!

my pcworld account also says "Vega Internet Tablet - Due to unprecedented demand we have sold out and will be back in stock next week" buts i think thats because they have changed the name of the product in their database

Edited by Curfish

I'm sorely tempted to just give in and purchase a Galaxy Tab... CW are doing them for £279 if you sign up to an 18 month 1gb contract with 3 at £22.50 pm, which sounds reasonable to me...

Guest JingleManSweep

"Vega Internet Tablet - Due to unprecedented demand we have sold out and will be back in stock next week"

I'd ignore this. It appears their website isn't able to display additional messages next to products (such as "stock limited" etc.), so what they've done is actually rename the product within their database from "Vega Internet Tablet" to "Vega Internet Tablet - Due to unprecedented demand we have sold out and will be back in stock next week".

So, anywhere within their website (searching, order confirmation, etc.), the product is being displayed as that long sentence.

I think if you see that message, it doesn't neccesarily mean you have missed the so-called deadline.

Guest English Haze

Like I said, I'm being harshly cynical and maybe I did just "miss the boat" but it seems very fishy that no one has had any delivery confirmation messages yet.

My order was with Currys, not PC World and they telephoned me ostensibly to verify the order details as a security check but again, my cynical sense says it was a "manage the customer's expectations" call.

Guest captainsensible

This question may be irrelevant yet but anyway...

Anyone know if the vega will do 3G network access via tethering to a mobile phone? I believe the archos is equipped to do this, as will be the blackberry tab....

Planning on buying the vega (hopefully!) but the above would seal it... Currently stuck in the US so can't go badgering local branches of currys/pc world yet!

If they've taken orders and not got ANY stock i'll be pretty annoyed!

re: tethering captainsensible, best bet is to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and do it that way?

P

Guest English Haze
This question may be irrelevant yet but anyway...

Anyone know if the vega will do 3G network access via tethering to a mobile phone? I believe the archos is equipped to do this, as will be the blackberry tab....

Isn't tethering a standard feature of vanilla Froyo? Unless they've removed it in the strip down which would be pretty stupid since it doesn't have 3G built in.

Just had Currys on the phone to verify my on-line order details and they helpfully told me that they were out of stock already and would have more next week. I placed the order at 9.30 this morning!

My cynical side tells me they are testing the waters to judge demand and don't actually have any in the country yet. I hope they remember that they aren't supposed to take the payment until they ship.

Cant understand that,mine was ordered at 10.15 so im prob among the last to get the order through and I have had no contact from Currys.

Guest Darryl991
Isn't tethering a standard feature of vanilla Froyo? Unless they've removed it in the strip down which would be pretty stupid since it doesn't have 3G built in.

I tethered my Folio to my Desire using the WiFi hotspot method. Worked just fine. Then took the Folio back.

I'm sorely tempted to just give in and purchase a Galaxy Tab... CW are doing them for £279 if you sign up to an 18 month 1gb contract with 3 at £22.50 pm, which sounds reasonable to me...

£279 + 18 months of £22.50 = £684 over the contract. £22.50 for only 1 gb of usage is pretty scandalous! I'd rather buy the tab outright for £449 from Staples and get a separate sim deal, would would out cheaper I think.

Guest ricwales1

well i can confirm 1st order acknowledgement from currys, and quidco confirmation confirming price and credit amount due back. Still waiting on the 2nd confirmation from currys.

If they initially had zero stock to start with why not just continue to take orders?

I ordered one at 9:10am with Dixons and then noticed Paul's tweet regarding Quidco so phoned to cancel minutes later only to be told the order had already been processed, which was quick as 2 minutes earlier I had got off the phone to the fraud department of my CC company who were with holding payment until I confirmed it was OK.

I then placed another order through Currys at 9:30am with the relevant discounts, so I theoretically now have 2 on their way but I have had no confirmation on either as of yet.

I have the option to refuse delivery of the one from Dixons and get a refund or seeing as there is limited availability I may be unscrupulous and put it on eBay for the same price as a Galaxy Tab.... :-D

Guest captainsensible
If they've taken orders and not got ANY stock i'll be pretty annoyed!

re: tethering captainsensible, best bet is to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot and do it that way?

P

Yeah, good point Paul... Have had no reason to use it so it slipped my mind! B)

Guest removed-14

My order confirmation arrived at 9.46am but it isn't looking good. No sign of a 'despatched' email and no 'courtesy call' to say it is out of stock. One thing is for certain... i'm not holding my breath.

Oh and still no sign of my Quidco transaction confirmation either!

Edited by removed-14

Guest firedup
My order confirmation arrived at 9.46am but it isn't looking good. No sign of a 'despatched' email and no 'courtesy call' to say it is out of stock. One thing is for certain... i'm not holding my breath.

Oh and still no sign of my Quidco transaction confirmation either!

If it doesnt arrive by Monday I'm cancelling my order / refusing delivery and getting a tab.

@Paul - if you already have a tab then why think about a Vega?