Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Hi Guys,

I've been following this thread, and other sites closely over the Vega. Weighing up all the Pro's and Con's, I think I'll be first in the line to get one!

To give some information back to some of the posts on here. I found the original OEM manufacturer. They're called WSL Japan.

They have a spec sheet on their site, but its nothing that's not been posted on other sites, and annoyingly, the site is in Janapese with little English.

Lets hope everything is on target for the 1st November...

John

Guest MarkoUK
Hi Guys,

I've been following this thread, and other sites closely over the Vega. Weighing up all the Pro's and Con's, I think I'll be first in the line to get one!

To give some information back to some of the posts on here. I found the original OEM manufacturer. They're called WSL Japan.

They have a spec sheet on their site, but its nothing that's not been posted on other sites, and annoyingly, the site is in Janapese with little English.

Lets hope everything is on target for the 1st November...

John

Yeah, right behind me big boy!

Thanks for tracking down the OEM. Might have a sniff about their site for some more tasty info.

Guest Carbonize
Screen looks resistive to me!

P

They do three models being the SP-57, SP-58 and SP-59. SP-57 has resistive screen and runs Android 1.5 with the SP58 and SP-59 both running 2.1 and with the 59 it says, "Two Points touch screen. Zoom in,zoom out by your finger freely." I suspect the one in the auction is the SP-58 but they don't make it clear what type of touchscreen it has. Anyway you can read the specs etc at the links below.

SP-57 ($149.00), SP-58 ($209.99) and SP-59 ($179.99)

Had a look around and they have a YouTube channel with videos of the SP-58 and SP-59.

Edited by Carbonize

Guest FrogPulse

Went into PC world today and they have it on the computer as released(today) but have not other information.

Spoke to the store manager about when and he said "they never tell us anything"

Still waiting for my HTC desire HD too (now 15th Nov)

Still got my pulse though :)

Guest HanSieT

Can anyone tell me ( or confirm) if this tablet has multilanguage? (eg. Dutch )

Ive been following this tablet via this forum and im thinking of flying to the uk when it will be in store.

I havent been able to find any store in the Netherlands that has this tablet.

Can anyone tell me ( or confirm) if this tablet has multilanguage? (eg. Dutch )

Ive been following this tablet via this forum and im thinking of flying to the uk when it will be in store.

I havent been able to find any store in the Netherlands that has this tablet.

Being built on Android, I suspect it will have multi-language abilities as standard. I can't see them removing the other languages from within the core Android just for Advent/Dixons. That said, you might want to wait until after someone can confirm they're there before you fly over to get one... now that's dedication to buying tech stuff! I'll walk the 400m to my nearest store, you'll fly!

Guest HanSieT
Being built on Android, I suspect it will have multi-language abilities as standard. I can't see them removing the other languages from within the core Android just for Advent/Dixons. That said, you might want to wait until after someone can confirm they're there before you fly over to get one... now that's dedication to buying tech stuff! I'll walk the 400m to my nearest store, you'll fly!

Well its either flying to the UK or buying the Archos 101 but my feelings go out to the Vega and im not sure why maybe the looks ,the specs or the android version.

I am on a covert-op saying im buying my girlie a trip to the uk for some shopping but infact im doing it for me lol

Guest MarkoUK
Well its either flying to the UK or buying the Archos 101 but my feelings go out to the Vega and im not sure why maybe the looks ,the specs or the android version.

I am on a covert-op saying im buying my girlie a trip to the uk for some shopping but infact im doing it for me lol

Ha Ha. A man after my own heart. Alterior motives when taking the wife shopping is my speciality.

Anyway, the offer is still open if you can't make it over :)

I like your style! :)

The problem I'd have is that she's have to have something just as expensive if i did that do her... and unfortunately I can't believe that a £250 handbag she is bound to see is the same as this tablet!

Guest shutdown

think i'm going for one of these. might hold out a few days for the initial feedback/verdict

what's pc world/dixons like for returning things if it turns out to be shite?

Firstly, I'm not an Apple fanboy but I like the iPad but would never pay more than £250 for it, this thing seems similarly spec'd and it's the right price. It's great to have on the coffee table for emails and websurfing when you can't be bothered to fire up your laptop...

The question everyone will be asking: how does it compare to the iPad?

Also, when can I get one? :P

Guest firedup
Still nothing available today on Dixon ;-(

Was in town so thought I'd pop in to PC World just on the off chance. Still nothing but what really pisses me off is the lack of knowledge these people have about tech. The guy looked at me like I was mad and said "you mean the iPad?".

PC World? More like Retard World. Still, even they arent as bad as Curries. Went in there and the girl just smiled and said 'I have no idea'. When I asked if it was possible to check for further information on her computer she just looked at me with the same simple smile and repeated 'I have no idea'.

Indeed.

Guest mamoulian
Still, even they arent as bad as Curries. Went in there and the girl just smiled and said 'I have no idea'. When I asked if it was possible to check for further information on her computer she just looked at me with the same simple smile and repeated 'I have no idea'.

Still, at least that's honest!

At least she didn't insinuate that the customer is a complete moron making up products, as it sounds like the PCWorld people did...

Unfortunately sales people - generally speaking in most electronics and phone shops, certainly the chain stores - are not enthusiasts, do not care what is and isn't for sale, and if you ask them about a product will just repeat back what it says on the little card on the shelf.

This is why there's no point in me trying out my local PCWorld until I hear others have spotted them, I don't need to get the 'moron' look thanks!

Guest Carbonize

Having held an iPad and just checking the measurements of this I'm not sure if 10" wouldn't be too big. I mainly intend to use the pad for reading my ebooks and watching movies. I'm thinking 7" might be a more comfortable size but maybe I'm just to used to my Sony PRS-600 ebook reader. I was looking at the sp-59 from my previous post but looks like it just runs stock Android 2.1 with only the addition of extra video codecs. Will have to give this a try when it comes out but lack of Market is another major turn off.

Hi guys just thought i'd sign up to be your eyes and ears within Dixons retail, I work for a currys.digital store and firstly can say that the company has given no launch information at all to employees about the vega. I can confirm that the sku is live on the system but there is currently no stock in our main warehouse. I am also an enthusiast who is waiting for this and will make sure I am the first to get one from my area. I will try to answer any questions about the unit once I officially start to receive some information myself. I can comment on a question about returns and will say our official policy is to not accept returns unless the item is faulty or unopened, although in many stores if the unit is mint condition some store managers will accept it back out of curtesy but this is purely at the discretion of each manager. The units at launch should be on display if there is some way of securing them but most times if it cannot asking a colleague should normally prompt a demonstration model.

Please understand that we aren't all monkeys and some of us do venture out to learn.

Guest mamoulian
Please understand that we aren't all monkeys and some of us do venture out to learn.

Thanks, glad you're out there, much appreciated :-)

Looking forward to whatever info you can give, I'll be straight round to PCWorld as soon as it's on show :-)

Guest MarkoUK

@Kevrae - Hooray for you. A dying breed by the looks of things so we appreciate you taking time to come on here.

I'm always amazed at my co-workers being software engineers and electronics engineers and they are so behind the times in consumer electronics and technology in general. I badword love this stuff so I take every opportunity to flaunt my warez and knowledge at work all the time. It has helped with some aspects of our product to apply some learning from gadgets I've used!! More should follow suit.

Guest Carbonize

Was just looking around on Endgadget and found an entry about ZTE making a 7" Android tablet. Goven how good ZTE phones tend to be for what they cost this might be a decent tablet. Full story at http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/12/zte-ann...android-tablet/

Or maybe this is the Amico mentioned in the first post but I can't find any reference to what type of touchscreen the ZTE Light has. But then again the Huawei S7 has resistive touchscreen http://www.expansys.com/huawei-s7-android-...-screen-199911/.

Christ loads of budget end 7" tablets out there and I am now suspecting the Amico is possibly the CherryPad since it's currently retailing for $188 in the US.

Edited by Carbonize