Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest firedup
Please understand that we aren't all monkeys and some of us do venture out to learn.

Fair enough, hope you understand my slightly tongue in cheek comments were a generalisation - I do appreciate that they don't apply to all members of staff. Hope you find out more info and get your hands on one soon! :P

Paul, are you planing to get one of those vega babys.

That would be like an additional spec that would make me jump on the bandwagon! ;-)

Edited by Prema

Guest Carbonize
Still nothing available today on Dixon/Curry's...

11 days to go :P

And then it will turn out to have not been worth the wait. As it is we are dependant on what it supports since it has no Market functionality. So if it doesn't support avi or, for me, ePub files, then it would be a waste of time me getting one.

Guest Carbonize
I was wondering about the standby time, it says 4 days.. how does this compare with the ipad...

Apple quotes a month on standby.

Just checked and it's weight is almost the same as the iPad. They actually mean it's mass but I don't want to confuse people :P

Edited by Carbonize

Guest removed-14

If I get one of these it will be another Android device as well as my Desire. My question is can I log into the tablet using my Google account at the same time? And can I install apps i've bought as well them being installed on my phone?

I really do not see what is the issue with the Market not being available directly from the slate...

Yes, it makes the install process of new apps easy and quick but there are many ways to install apps (alternative market, apk install from sd...)

And with the current trend of new market coming (Amazon in particular), the Android market will soon be oblige to open more (already planned with 3.0 if i remember correctly) or will lose significant market shares...

So for me, this tab is quite "future proof"

Guest SilentMobius
And then it will turn out to have not been worth the wait. As it is we are dependant on what it supports since it has no Market functionality. So if it doesn't support avi or, for me, ePub files, then it would be a waste of time me getting one.

I'll just sideload all the apps I currently have on my Nexus one. And that's assuming that we fail to shoehorn the Market onto it. If I was spending Galaxy Tab money on it I'd want the Market on there, but for less than half that I'm willing to make exceptions for the first piece of nice hardware on the market.

Guest mamoulian

Paul (and others) has had success installing the Market on non-'Google' devices before, right?

...so this shouldn't be a problem, right? :-)

(I'm assuming that even if Paul doesn't actually keep one it'll still get rooted and ROMed before it gets sent back ;-)

Guest Carbonize
I really do not see what is the issue with the Market not being available directly from the slate...

Yes, it makes the install process of new apps easy and quick but there are many ways to install apps (alternative market, apk install from sd...)

And with the current trend of new market coming (Amazon in particular), the Android market will soon be oblige to open more (already planned with 3.0 if i remember correctly) or will lose significant market shares...

Because most methods of installing from anywhere other than the Market usually requires a file manager app to be installed to do the installing with.

Because most methods of installing from anywhere other than the Market usually requires a file manager app to be installed to do the installing with.

And this is a problem because...?

No Market means no Gmail, no Google Maps etc. etc. too. Gmail is a must have for me!

P

Paul (and others) has had success installing the Market on non-'Google' devices before, right?

...so this shouldn't be a problem, right? :-)

(I'm assuming that even if Paul doesn't actually keep one it'll still get rooted and ROMed before it gets sent back ;-)

:P

I'm flying out of Gatwick on Sunday so i'm hoping they'll have one at the Dixons in the airport! :D

P

Guest charlie_82
Yes, but you need all the other bits that go with it (to set up the Google account) for it to work. You can't just install the APK and go.

P

Ah ok. I am a bit of a n00b here lol

So if you got an Android Market sdk and used a command, would that work? Like this: http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...d-market-v2-07/ ?

Edited by charlie_82

still nothing at our warehouses and therefore none at the stores just yet.

@ Paul, unfortunately for yourself mate looks like there wont be one in gatwick by sunday as even if they came into the warehouse tomorrow i doubt they would get them over the weekend as we only receive our deliveries on a weekday.

Unfortunately i'm off on hols Sunday and they can't send me one right away.

They have confirmed stock is due in stores on 1st November and they'll try and get one to me for the 1st November. :P

P

Guest SilentMobius

Interesting thing I just saw:

http://gizmodo.com/5670624/the-galaxy-play...roid-ipod-touch

Samsung Galaxy player, it's the iPod touch of the Android world, no cellular radio at all just wifi/bluetooth buuut it _does_ has the Android market and GMaps.

Could this be a change in stance or maybe just a case of Sammy lubricating Google with hard cash.