Advent Android tablets set to hit the Dixons Group stores shortly

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Bobbler
I just saw that and studently, I have some doubts as Archos is a well established brand who release update on a regulary basis... and price range is very similar + available from end of October...

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_1...=gb&lang=en

:P

Hi there, been following this thread with interest after spotting the Advent Vega on Engadget the other week. So thought I should register.

The Archos looks nice, but some of the reports are of it being lightweight to the point of being flimsy from first impressions don't impress. But then again a nice light device lends itself well to this type of form factor and usage IMO

It falls behind on some minor specs - HD is "only" 720p on output, CPU is a little down in comparison. Plus it has more internal memory and the SDHC slot.

The one big thing that worries me with Archos is historically their devices are deliberately "neutered" requiring you to buy XYZ as an extra to play back particular media or enable a function (previous experiences with the "5" series) and I wouldn't be happy with not getting full features out the box :D

Ideally I want to hold them both for a few minutes to see how they feel.

Guest Carbonize
The one big thing that worries me with Archos is historically their devices are deliberately "neutered" requiring you to buy XYZ as an extra to play back particular media or enable a function

From the specs:

With optional plug-in (downloadable on www.archos.com):

• Cinema: MPEG-2 (up to DVD resolution MP/D1, 30 fps@10 Mbps)

With the above codecs, the device can play video files with the following extensions: AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, 3GP

With optional software plug-ins (downloadable on www.archos.com):

• AC3 5.1

Don't know if they are charging for these and most people wouldn't need them anyway.

Not sure about actually using it as a phone though as seen in the photo on http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?c..._id=archos101it and the camera should be along the long side not the short side as that is the way most people will hold a tablet.

Weird thing is this is the same size as both the iPad and the Vega and yet is just over half the mass (weight to most people).

Edited by Carbonize

Guest Carbonize

Been reading the PDf spec sheet for the Archos

Thanks to its patented

technology with overmoulded stainless steel structure the ARCHOS 101 internet tablet weighs only

16.9 oz – 480 g and is 0.47” – 12 mm thin.

The ARCHOS 101 internet tablet has Samba and UPnP protocols: this means that you play your

movies, videos, and photos on your ARCHOS, but these files are really located on your computer in

another room. You don’t need to store everything on your ARCHOS to enjoy viewing it on your

ARCHOS ! Your files fly through the air over WiFi.

high speed WiFi-n technology

Now the confusing part

10.1’’ Connected Android™ tablet from $300/300€

They show the UK price as £269.99 but $300 = £192 = €215 where as €300 is about £270.

Guest Bobbler

Thanks to its patented

technology with overmoulded stainless steel structure the ARCHOS 101 internet tablet weighs only

The ARCHOS 101 internet tablet has Samba and UPnP protocols: this means that you play your

movies, videos, and photos on your ARCHOS, but these files are really located on your computer in

another room. You don’t need to store everything on your ARCHOS to enjoy viewing it on your

Now the confusing part

They show the UK price as £269.99 but $300 = £192 = €215 where as €300 is about £270.

I really hate the price matrix on electronics when it comes to US and EU vs UK differences. But it has launched and is available in Germany today apparently for €299 along with some early feedback (though TBH I always take that type of feedback with a pinch of salt, no sane gadget owner will ever turn round and say the thing they just invested 300 hard earned cash in is rubbish) - http://archosfans.com/2010/10/22/archos-10...ble-in-germany/

Guest MarkoUK
Well if it's going to be $300 USD and £270 then I can see a lot of people getting them shipped over.

Probably cost about £250 by getting it shipped over.

Not much of a saving for the hassle.

Guest MarkoUK

Thanks to its patented

Now the confusing part

This has never been the case with international pricing by the way. You do not simply apply the FX conversion and then that becomes the local pricing in that specific territory. It's always been a case of whatever the price is in dollars translates across to the same price in pounds.

You have to add VAT to that price when you come into the UK then the local distributors/suppliers add the customs tax and any profit.

Guest paulsmith

Im looking forwards to this product - liked the idea of an ipad but the price and mandatory iTunes requirement always put me off.

I've seen flash on a HTC Desire and was pretty impressed - so Im hoping it will be even better with the increased hardware ala Nvidia Tegra.

Has anyone used a SSH app iike connectbot on an iPad or similar device? If so - whats it like?

I tend not to use it on my phone that much and often use a full sized laptop instead - so Im hoping this tablet would fit into this gap. I dont do lots of typing , but using terminals on a small screen, small keyboard phone is reserved for emergencies.

Bonus points it we manage to get dropbear ssh working on it.

Guest Carbonize
This has never been the case with international pricing by the way. You do not simply apply the FX conversion and then that becomes the local pricing in that specific territory. It's always been a case of whatever the price is in dollars translates across to the same price in pounds.

You have to add VAT to that price when you come into the UK then the local distributors/suppliers add the customs tax and any profit.

What and they don't have tax and distribution costs in America? It costs the company the same to manufacture a unit regardless of what country it is getting sold in. The $299 is the retail price for people in America so if I get my friend to buy one and then ship it to me, which will cost me around £35, I can save myself around £40.

I am going to stick to the Advent Tab as the Tegra 2 is really the key discriminant element as far as I am concerned...

The Archos is probably a good product but the processor is just too similar to what I already experience on my Nexus and Streak....

I really need a home entertainment device with some killer power to manipulate pictures and HD movies...

Still nothing on the Curry's/Dixon's web site today :P

Edited by BooToo

I think the key thing for me depends on a couple of things...

Paul's review as far as the tech side goes

how the community adopts it e.g. custom rom/kernels etc!

It's good that it will get gingerbread in the new year but i dont want to buy a device and find we are waiting forever for updates if the community doesn't take to it.

This is also's Advent's first tab so its very much a tester for them imo. Dell i think didn't do to great with the streak, in terms of updates e.g. screwing up eclair and now waiting for a drop straight to froyo.

I like the Galaxy Tab but its too small for the price, i'd stil have one, but paying more for that over an ipad is madness!

I'm not really interested in the Archos, so i'll be giving that a miss for sure :P

Guest MarkoUK
What and they don't have tax and distribution costs in America? It costs the company the same to manufacture a unit regardless of what country it is getting sold in. The $299 is the retail price for people in America so if I get my friend to buy one and then ship it to me, which will cost me around £35, I can save myself around £40.

Tut tut, VAT and import duty avoidance. The manufacturing point you've made is moot. I was talking about the fact that a US price (retail) does not mean that it will come out in the UK for that price. And actually, each state has sales tax so the retail price will be different based on that and any store discount applied.

Guest Matrix Mike

I asked in my local Curry's today and was told that it doesn't exist and when I explained about it being widely talked about on here and other sites he said I should'nt beleive everything I read on the internet :P

In the next door PCWorld I was told they would have them on the 1st November but that I shouldn't waste my money but buy an Ipad (which they cannot sell until they have a store refit ) instead as Android is rubbish and when Apple wins its court case against Google will become obsolete. Sadly there are some ill informed people in both stores :D

still nothing at our warehouses and therefore none at the stores just yet.

Kevrae,

Are you guys getting bonus incentive to push sell on a specific product?

Look at Matrix Mike experience in one of the 2 stores he visited, I am not sure if this sales guy was just stupid or gready... :D

I KNOW you are not all like that but based on my personnal experience for all main electronic stores, in more than 80%, they don't know F... or don't give a S.... :P

I find that terribly sad...

Hope the money is good at least...

Edited by BooToo

Guest Carbonize
Tut tut, VAT and import duty avoidance. The manufacturing point you've made is moot. I was talking about the fact that a US price (retail) does not mean that it will come out in the UK for that price. And actually, each state has sales tax so the retail price will be different based on that and any store discount applied.

Except the prices I'm quoting are the prices it's going to be sold for on the Archos website and not the shop price.

Im looking forward to the Vega as much as anyone else but I still think the Amico deserves a mention. The 7" none glossy screen and smaller size it would suit many who dont want a high spec iPad equivalent. The biggest drawbacks would be the 400mhz cpu & lower res screen. I would have thought Android 2.2 being faster on slower hardware would have made this a better choice. Still as a cheap media player/PDA device its not a bad alternative to the last gen iPod Touch.

Now the Vega! This is my system of choice too as a netbook replacement. I only ever used my netbook to browse the web and watch movies so this is perfect. I still have doubts about its size. I would have preferred a 7" form factor with the same specs. It would mean deciding to carry it around everywhere would be a no brainer but the Vega like the iPad and my netbook I'd have to assess whether im likely to use it before taking it out with me.

My biggest concerns of all for the Vega is the lack of true android apps support. I want to see apps that make use of the 1024x600 space and games that benefit from the Tegra 2. Otherwise it will be like buying a high spec PC only to browse the web and having to wait 2yrs before your spec becomes the lowest common denominator in hardware before develops make good use of what you have. This is where iPad is a million miles ahead.

My consolations are that although 2.2 isnt ideal for Vega, Gingerbread is around the corner and if it supports 1024x600 apps then we have reason to cheer. I wonder how good Advent's own app store will be for the device. If not not I'll be happy enough with substandard looking apps until next year when Honeycombe is out. Then the Vega will really come into its own. I have no doubt the Vega's specs will more that meet the requirements for future Android OSs so I see it as a worthy futureproof investment. I still miss the supposed lack of 3G, GPS and higher res front camera (yes I want it all) but I cant see the feature envelope being pushed very far over the next 12 months at the sub £250 price bracket.

Only a week to go and I can't wait.

Guest SilentMobius
My consolations are that although 2.2 isnt ideal for Vega, Gingerbread is around the corner and if it supports 1024x600 apps then we have reason to cheer.

What does that even mean? I can write an app targeted at 1.6 that can handle 1024x600 (and if I write it correctly It will work at any resolution). Are you talking about the built in apps having a specific ldpi >800x600 layout? Its only poorly written apps that force pixel alignment that won't scale nicely.

Kevrae,

Are you guys getting bonus incentive to push sell on a specific product?

No we don't get any incentives for specific products no commission at all, More than likely its just thats all he knew about and so thought he'd push that.

@ Matrix, yes both definitely ill informed, as i said no staff have had any official information so most staff will not be aware of it and the gent in PCWorld obviously doesn't even pay attention to the information supplied by head office. I say this because any Dixons Retail store can now sell the Ipad but most do have to order on request. At launch apple made certain restrictions to which of our stores could sell them, it was generally our refitted stores that had a dirty internet connection so that it could be demonstrated correctly.

And unfortunately Dixons Retail does not generally encourage staff to learn new technology unless it directly affects their sales performance.

Cheers again guys and don't worry I understand not all comments towards DR are directed towards myself personally but will try to clear up some misconceptions if i can.

Oh and believe me the money isn't much but sometimes we do things for the good of our families and I don't think I can sniff at a guaranteed pay packet, not in this current economy.

Edited by Kevrae

Guest McSpoon
What does that even mean? I can write an app targeted at 1.6 that can handle 1024x600 (and if I write it correctly It will work at any resolution). Are you talking about the built in apps having a specific ldpi >800x600 layout? Its only poorly written apps that force pixel alignment that won't scale nicely.

Froyo is only intended for screens upto 854x480. Apps will still adapt to 1024x600 but the components are likely to layout differently when compared to how they will display on a WVGA screen - thereby increasing fragmentation. As a developer you may have to check your app specifically on the Advent tablet to see if the UI is displayed correctly. I suspect that is the reason why Google have refused to allow the Android Market on this tablet - it's Google's way of penalising them for ignoring the issue. The Samsung Galaxy Tab got around it by framing apps at 800x400 in the center of the screen.

Gingerbread is expected to introduce support for larger resolutions. I guess we'll find out soon if there will be support for 1024x600. It would be better if this tablet was 1280x720.

Guest SilentMobius
Froyo is only intended for screens upto 854x480. Apps will still adapt to 1024x600 but the components are likely to layout differently when compared to how they will display on a WVGA screen - thereby increasing fragmentation. As a developer you may have to check your app specifically on the Advent tablet to see if the UI is displayed correctly. I suspect that is the reason why Google have refused to allow the Android Market on this tablet - it's Google's way of penalising them for ignoring the issue. The Samsung Galaxy Tab got around it by framing apps at 800x400 in the center of the screen.

Gingerbread is expected to introduce support for larger resolutions. I guess we'll find out soon if there will be support for 1024x600. It would be better if this tablet was 1280x720.

"Intended" yeah sure but android works fine at higher resolutions. I should know I've been working on some tablet-res apps for myself and it works just fine unless you take cheap hacky shortcuts with your layout.

And don't even bring up the "f" word because in this case, at least, its nonsense. The Android layout engine has been fluid from day 1 and has specifically supported multiple target resolutions and dpis since 1.6. The main problem with android right now is a few less than optimal built in apps and lazy app developers. Well that and closed source drivers.

Guest Chuckles
I just saw that and studently, I have some doubts as Archos is a well established brand who release update on a regulary basis... and price range is very similar + available from end of October...

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_1...=gb&lang=en

:P

The 16GB Archos 10 looks like it is now available to buy from their website - http://www.archos.com/store/psearch.html?c..._id=archos101it

Edited by Chuckles