froyo 2.2

Guest smsmasters.co.uk

It does not answer the original question!? He is interested to know Foryo possibility for Blade or I am missing the point.

Nobody knows when or even if it will get froyo. We probably wont find out until the day it arrives on the web to be downloaded.

There may be a possibility that someone will do an unofficial port, but nobody knows how long that will take or if it will be successful. In the meantime, the main reasons for froyo are better memory handling and the ability to put apps on sd, the sf has lots of memory and plenty of space for apps plus with roms available on this site apps2sd so there isn't really a killer reason to urgently need froyo.

Guest Matt Thompson
It does not answer the original question!? He is interested to know Foryo possibility for Blade or I am missing the point.

You're missing the point.

There are a number of posts re Froyo on the Blade. The search function would have shown this.

Guest G0DSPEED
Nobody knows when or even if it will get froyo. We probably wont find out until the day it arrives on the web to be downloaded.

There may be a possibility that someone will do an unofficial port, but nobody knows how long that will take or if it will be successful. In the meantime, the main reasons for froyo are better memory handling and the ability to put apps on sd, the sf has lots of memory and plenty of space for apps plus with roms available on this site apps2sd so there isn't really a killer reason to urgently need froyo.

I think you missed the main reason by a mile, flash support :) :)

Guest Matt Thompson
I think you missed the main reason by a mile, flash support :) :)

My understanding is that flash support is CPU specific and the Blade's CPU is not supported.

My understanding is that flash support is CPU specific and the Blade's CPU is not supported.

Flash, like any other software, can run on any CPU, its just a matter of how well the CPU runs it. I don't think the Blade/San Fran CPU would have any problem though. I was watching a Flash 10.1 stream on my Nokia 5800 xpressmusic (434Mhz ARM11 CPU) a few days ago and while it wasn't super smooth it was very watchable. The San Fran has an improved ARM11 CPU and also runs faster at 600Mhz.

Edited by Teasy

Guest Simon O
Flash, like any other software, can run on any CPU, its just a matter of how well the CPU runs it. I don't think the Blade/San Fran CPU would have any problem though. I was watching a Flash 10.1 stream on my Nokia 5800 xpressmusic (434Mhz ARM11 CPU) a few days ago and while it wasn't super smooth it was very watchable. The San Fran has an improved ARM11 CPU and also runs faster at 600Mhz.

Sadly the current version of Flash for 2.2 only supports ARM7 CPUs. Adobe have said that support for other CPUs will be added in the next few months though.

And for those waiting on Froyo.. watch this space.

Sadly the current version of Flash for 2.2 only supports ARM7 CPUs. Adobe have said that support for other CPUs will be added in the next few months though.

And for those waiting on Froyo.. watch this space.

Yeah its a pity that they don't support ARM11 on Android at the moment since I like to watch Flash football on my phone and could on my 5800. Still I look forward to it in future, hoping it runs a bit better on the San Fran and it'll definitely look better on the San Frans screen.

Guest dadashi
....I like to watch Flash football on my phone and could on my 5800.....

can't that be worked around by installing firefox or opera or somthing like that in the meantime?

I'm an android newbie...

Edited by dadashi

Guest clonmult
can't that be worked around by installing firefox or opera or somthing like that in the meantime?

I'm an android newbie...

Nope.

Both of them would be relying on external flash support, as with the desktop browsers which require plugins to support flash.

Guest Simon O
Apparently the ZTE Blade (called V880 in China) will be sold with 2.2 on board by China Unicom.

http://www.clonedinchina.com/2010/10/zte-v...ndroid-2-2.html

miniicebinimg8156.jpg

We obtained the rom from this device but the touchscreen on the Chinese version is different so, whilst it would boot, the touchscreen was not functioning on the blade. We need to get a working kernel or the 2.6.32.9 kernel source so we can compile a version that works with our blades.

Guest Stephen Hyde
We obtained the rom from this device but the touchscreen on the Chinese version is different so, whilst it would boot, the touchscreen was not functioning on the blade. We need to get a working kernel or the 2.6.32.9 kernel source so we can compile a version that works with our blades.

any chance you could get me a copy of said rom, i may be able to get touch working

Guest vl4d1m1r

Best of luck. A few people have had a go with it and haven't gotten very far, so it will be interesting to see what you make of it at least. I'm still holding out for a proper kernel source dump, of both Eclair and Froyo (as both are in the wild, and thus ZTE are required to release the code in a timely manner - something they have not done so far).