19/Nov r14: VISIONary + one click root

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest jakobdroid

my root broke after i got the OTA. So I downgraded the rom and radio to shipped version, installed ota manually, and got visionary r13. tried unrooting, then temproot, and i keep getting su: unknown user root when i try to su in term

Edited by jakobdroid

Guest Jmwils3

I do not know why this is happening, but I cannot get either of the download links to work for me. they send me to another page with a download button, but nothing happens when I click it.

Guest apaapa2
I do not know why this is happening, but I cannot get either of the download links to work for me. they send me to another page with a download button, but nothing happens when I click it.

Are you filling in the captcha just above the download button?

Guest jaleroca

I have been able to download the file. But when I try to open it after moving it to my sd card, I cannot extract or open the file. So how do I open up the file and install it on the phone.

Guest breedingh8
VISIONary.png
Update: Temporarily removed the r12 download link while a couple of people on XDA fix a non-booting issue

VISIONary (so named since we're playing with the HTC Vision here right? :rolleyes:) is an application you install on your device which gives you an icon in your launcher.

• Click the icon (or have it run on boot!)
  • Rooted.

There is another little nicety in there too, in that when the root is finished, VISIONary optionally launches /data/local/visionary.sh (if it exists), so if you have any stuff you want to happen every time you root, put it in there!

Update: VISIONary has been suspended from the Android Market (oops!), so you need to download it below. For version integrity and usage tracking, please do NOT mirror this elsewhere.

• r11 (current stable version) - DOWNLOAD
    • r12 (test version - see changelog below for details) - TEMPORARILY OFFLINE

USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

Finally, if you would like to support VISIONary (and other MoDaCo work), please consider signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free / MoDaCo Plus account.

Enjoy!

Bah why is r12 off line?! the + just cycles over and over ;(

usb debugging is on!

P

Guest gilnino
I am using r13 and doesnt seem to be rooting the G2

All boxes unticked

Ran temp root

Ran Perm-root

Reboots

Terminal $su

Permission denied

Is there more to this then just what i did??

I did NOT install HBoot.

Trying to root without messing around with the HBoot

TIA

Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Guest gilnino

I'm having the same problem. Using r13 on g2. Temp root is ok but when I attempt perm root it just reboots back to original state. Any help would be appreciated

Update: have perm root now. Interesting though, I temp rooted first, downloaded rom manager, installed clockwork rec, then attempted perm root and got it.

Edited by gilnino

Guest gilnino
I am using r13 and doesnt seem to be rooting the G2

All boxes unticked

Ran temp root

Ran Perm-root

Reboots

Terminal $su

Permission denied

Is there more to this then just what i did??

I did NOT install HBoot.

Trying to root without messing around with the HBoot

TIA

Any help would be appreciated :rolleyes:

Guest ayalah1986
I'm having the same problem. Using r13 on g2. Temp root is ok but when I attempt perm root it just reboots back to original state. Any help would be appreciated

Update: have perm root now. Interesting though, I temp rooted first, downloaded rom manager, installed clockwork rec, then attempted perm root and got it.

I can't even get temp-root now.... I've tried everything(yes debug is on) lol I don't getwhat I'm doing wrong? I've factory restored twice, and uninstalled VISIONary n rebooted, reinstalled about 20 times... its weird cuz it seems like its working till the screen blinks, I kno once iz normal, but 6-7 times???

Edited by ayalah1986

Guest lordmustard
Using r13

Temp root

Then download rom manager

Perform clockwork recovery in rom manager

Go back to r13 and do perm root

After phone reboots you have it

I was able to get permroot using this method. At first I thought I bricked the phone when performing a clockwork recovery because the screen displayed what I think was an error code (yellow exclamation point with an image of the phone) I waited 5 mins before doing a battery pull and upon reboot I had root.

To verify I was able to run permroot without having to temproot after reboot. I am now able to use wireless tether and titanium backup without a hitch.

Guest jaaronmoody

why is there a .zip added to the end of the r11 apk file. when I try to remove it and install the package via astro it doesn't work. sorry if i'm missing something obvious

Guest rcadden
I can't even get temp-root now.... I've tried everything(yes debug is on) lol I don't getwhat I'm doing wrong? I've factory restored twice, and uninstalled VISIONary n rebooted, reinstalled about 20 times... its weird cuz it seems like its working till the screen blinks, I kno once iz normal, but 6-7 times???

I have the same thing. I was able to get temproot with r13 once, I installed ROM Manager and was able to install ClockworkMod. I then did permaroot and thought it worked, but on reboot, I didn't have root anymore.

Now when I try to temproot again, it tries over and over and over and over, until I eventually just hit back and it cancels out.

I've uninstalled SuperUser, ROM Manager, VISIONary, etc, re-installed, and get the same result. :-\

Guest ayalah1986
I have the same thing. I was able to get temproot with r13 once, I installed ROM Manager and was able to install ClockworkMod. I then did permaroot and thought it worked, but on reboot, I didn't have root anymore.

Now when I try to temproot again, it tries over and over and over and over, until I eventually just hit back and it cancels out.

I've uninstalled SuperUser, ROM Manager, VISIONary, etc, re-installed, and get the same result. :-\

I had the same issue but mine the first time I just perm rooted it rebooted n it didn't stick, and since then I haven't been able to root at all

Guest hairplayer

First off Paul I love your work. Maybe you can help me. Ever since I updated my phone none of the visionarys are working. I have tried everything. For 2 days now I have downloaded r11, r12, r13 and none of them are working for me. It just goes into a loop and goes back to the app. I can't even get temp root using r2. My debugging is checked. I even did a hard reset and started over and still get the loop with all four of the ones I try. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Guest Jmwils3
I had the same issue but mine the first time I just perm rooted it rebooted n it didn't stick, and since then I haven't been able to root at all

Ive had similiar problems once I finally got the visionary app. I tried with all three versions (r11, r12 and 13) and all have given me the same result: temo rootcycles through, but never sticks after the first time. Anyone have anhy suggestions for alternatives?

Hello Paul ... beautiful work its Visionary!

I wonder what the possibility that application work on a Desire A8181 ...

Not an HTC Z and Desire is also not a HTC HD, Desire is only one Desire first generation!

Have a friend who has the apparatus crippled! It does not have access to the SD card and nor access to USB and the only method that I know to root in Desire is UnrEVOked, but this uses the PC connected to the USB.

How does not have access to USB he can't do the Root of your Desire ...

I was wondering if there is any way to make the root in Desire without using the USB access and without using the PC!

This would be possible?

PS: I looked at your tutorial on USB BRICK FIX and if the solution is there please indicate the path, because I tried of all shapes and couldn't root in the Desire of my friend!

Thanks and apologies for questioning here in this thread!

=]

Edited by PejotA

Guest rcadden

Keeping up with a few threads on XDA, it seems that there is a common issue with r13's looping situation.

From what I can gather, those of us who applied the OTA *before* attempting any roots were able to temproot with VISIONary r13 at least once, attempt the permaroot, and were still unrooted after the permaroot boot. Once we attempted that once, no one has been able to re-try with VISIONary. It seems like after the first successful temproot, something 'broke'.

I've tried uninstalling ROM Manager, SuperUser, and VISIONary r13 (I also went to the Applications menu and cleared data for each before force-stopping and *then* uninstalling) and re-installing, but it didn't work.

this morning, I tried rooting using rage from this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9245631, and ran into this problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=122 (which a few others have also reported).

Anything I can do to help, let me know, I'm anxious to get Sense on this puppy.

I have the same issue too. I have tried using r12 and r13 with various permutations and combinations. I am unable to even temproot now.

PAUL, PLEASE HELP :rolleyes: !!!!!

Guest convolution

How do I even install this in the first place?

The file I downloaded is a zip file, which i proceded to unzip, then I see a superuser.apk file hidden in that mess of folders. I installed it. It did not give me VISIONary app.

Please help this poor misguided noob?

Got it working!!!

I had the weird issue where I had S-Off but no root. Also visionary r12 and r13 would just try over and over again but never finish.

Here is what I did...

download the system back to pre OTA software using this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831398

The link for the XVI editor is (this is needed in the step above):

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm

and use rage to perm-root and s-off: (with wpthis-pre-OTA.ko)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=834228

Then apply OTA.

and re-do rage to perm-root and s-off again: (with wpthis-OTA.ko)

I just tested it, it works beautifully. It takes about 1 hour total!

I have root, S-OFF and OTA now.

This is a looong procedure!!

I still have another G2 and I will be eagerly waiting for Paul to give us a new version of his one click magic!!

Guest Cliq2G2_2020
Got it working!!!

I had the weird issue where I had S-Off but no root. Also visionary r12 and r13 would just try over and over again but never finish.

Here is what I did...

download the system back to pre OTA software using this link:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831398

The link for the XVI editor is (this is needed in the step above):

http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm

and use rage to perm-root and s-off: (with wpthis-pre-OTA.ko)

Then apply OTA.

and re-do rage to perm-root and s-off again: (with wpthis-OTA.ko)

I just tested it, it works beautifully. It takes about 1 hour total!

I have root, S-OFF and OTA now.

This is a looong procedure!!

I still have another G2 and I will be eagerly waiting for Paul to give us a new version of his one click magic!!

You don't need to root on the pre-OTA if you are planning on going to update anyways. I just went through these step but skipped the rage root for pre-OTA and it worked fine. Whatever Visionary messed up is resolved once you reflash the stock ROM onto the phone.