Spontaneous shutdowns

Guest Flavio

Guest wonderlexx
ok everyone get into titanium and start listing ya apps :)

I had the reboot issue for a while. It got worse over time and was independent of android version (happened with 1.6 and 2.1). It was also independent of the software installed. Some reboots were random but at the end they were as well deterministic by using specific applications (maps and navigation applications when started caused a reboot). The problem with the reboot was that it got stuck at the dell logo, the battery had to be removed and then you had to wait for about 15min before attempting to reboot the device (otherwise it would not get over the dell logo). Taking out the battery 10 times a day is not really user friendly. One issue was the loose battery that caused some reboot on impact but there was definitely some other hardware issue. At the end I sent the unit to dell with a fault description. I got the thing back with a standard 1.6 installed and during the last 8 hours I had no reboot. I will wait a little more and if I don't see any reboots I assume hardware is OK and will move to 2.2 and see if this causes the reboot behaviour. The streak I have was one of the first UK units and I am wondering if there was/is something with the first units wrong ...

I've kept an eye on my phone for several days to see when it reboots. Not hugely scientific, but I noticed the reboots happened when on a hard surface and when an sms or email notification caused the unit to vibrate.

So I tried putting the phone on a soft surface for a day and no problems at all - so I suspect the battery or cover contacts aren't too good and the vibration is just at the right resonant frequency to make something come loose.

Guest wonderlexx
I had the reboot issue for a while. It got worse over time and was independent of android version (happened with 1.6 and 2.1). It was also independent of the software installed. Some reboots were random but at the end they were as well deterministic by using specific applications (maps and navigation applications when started caused a reboot). The problem with the reboot was that it got stuck at the dell logo, the battery had to be removed and then you had to wait for about 15min before attempting to reboot the device (otherwise it would not get over the dell logo). Taking out the battery 10 times a day is not really user friendly. One issue was the loose battery that caused some reboot on impact but there was definitely some other hardware issue. At the end I sent the unit to dell with a fault description. I got the thing back with a standard 1.6 installed and during the last 8 hours I had no reboot. I will wait a little more and if I don't see any reboots I assume hardware is OK and will move to 2.2 and see if this causes the reboot behaviour. The streak I have was one of the first UK units and I am wondering if there was/is something with the first units wrong ...

Ok. I had 1.6 as shipped from dell running for a day and had no reboots any more. I upgraded to 2.2 (ver 1.1.1) and it is also running without any problems so far (for one week). It seems to me that the random reboots I had were due to a hardware fault. Reading through all the messages people have posted at various places it seems to me that dell streaks can show spontaneous shutdowns (or random reboots) due to a number of reasons. So far I identified:

(1) Battery is not hold firmly in place (Using a piece of cardboard under the battery cover seems to solve it for some)

(2) Some apps are installed that cause reboots (Try to find and remove the application that is the cause; does anyone have a list of apps considered bad?)

(3) An android upgrade causes the unstable behaviour (Try to use a factory reset which seems to cure the problem sometimes)

(4) Some android versions cause the problem (Try to upgrade (e.g. the earlier 2.2 versions may show such behaviour))

(5) Hardware fault (Send it to dell and they replace the unit)

(6) Tiny switch with lever that is switched on/off by one of the backcover lips (Thanks to Techneut for pointing this one out; a piece of cardboard under the battery cover helps here as well)

Personally I think I had combination of (1) and (5).

Edited by wonderlexx

Guest Techneut

I am sure that most, so not all, spontaneous reboots are caused by a tiny switch with a diminutive lever that is switched on/off by one of the backcover lips!

Have a look at the pictures... This is the REAL culprit that senses whether the backcover is in its place or not.

The tiny switch lever seems to react to wringing the backcover, tapping on it, and certain sounds that make the backcover resonate.

Probably, the only things that really help will be: short-circuit the mechanical switch, or change the program that senses the switch and reacts to it...

post-714780-1288352515_thumb.jpg

post-714780-1288352540_thumb.jpg

Full 24 hrs since i removed the app and not a single reboot, i've been using my car kit quite a bit in the last 24hrs and if it is a switch causing these i've not had any problems in car either and i've driven over quite a few potholes and speedbumps with no problems.

Guest haynesteve
Full 24 hrs since i removed the app and not a single reboot, i've been using my car kit quite a bit in the last 24hrs and if it is a switch causing these i've not had any problems in car either and i've driven over quite a few potholes and speedbumps with no problems.

Which app are you refering to ?

Guest Wee Thomas

My reboots are not spontaneous. The can be easily replicated.

1. Install ChompSMS and turn on the default notifications.

2. Have someone send a boatload of sms messages.

I'm guessing the reboots occur when the phone runs out of memory trying to handle all of the notifications. If I turn off notifications, I don't get the reboots.

Guest aLpHa K7
A small bit of cardboard in between the battery and back cover has worked a treat for me :)

BINGO!

I had the same issue and placed half a business card (tore the card in half, then bent that half but set the card fragment flat) underneath the battery, put the battery in on top, then secured the back cover - viola - no more random shut downs.

Edited by aLpHa K7

• 2 weeks later...

I had been having random reboots and other oddness for a few weeks now. Following the advice throughout this thread I did the following and I've been up, stable and happy as a fat kid with a cupcake for over 18 hours now.

This is a Dell Streak running V1 of Froyo. US 21 baseband. Clockwork recovery ROM. ADW for the home screen. Advanced Task Killer was configured to kill apps every hour. The phone and battery were not overheating.

First what symptoms I was seeing...

Random Reboot: No rhyme or reason to it. It didn't matter if it was idle or actively being used. I had it happen regardless of battery charge level or if it was in the middle of being charged (dock, USB or AC outlet via USB cable). It may reboot every 5 minutes or last as long as a couple hours between events. It seemed completely random.

Orientation Sensor: It was constantly flipping upside down in landscape mode. I was sure the sensor itself was somehow horked up. Getting it to revert to proper landscape with soft buttons to the right was difficult at best. There were times I gave up and just flipped it upside down. Even getting it to stay in portrait mode was a struggle. It kept wanting to rotate as described above.

Battery Life: I'll just say it sucked BAD.

Apps appeared to be running fine but Yahoo IM was crashing out frequently. This is/was most likely an app related issue and not OS / phone related.

What I finally did to clear this up was to manually uninstall every app I could on the phone. Nothing complained or failed out during the process. I even removed themes and my personal data.

Even though it was somewhat redundant, I booted in to recovery mode and did a factory reset through Clockwork. There were some issues initially during the process. Specifically, I was stuck on the Dell boot logo for about 10-15 minutes. It never got to the point where the Dell logo flashed over. Eventually I just pulled the battery and restarted the factory reset. The second time it took about 5 minutes and I was booting fine. This was my first factory reset under V1 of Froyo. Maybe it just takes that long to do a reset and I didn't need to pull the battery. Immediately after

The battery was at approximately 10% at this point. I let the battery drain out completely until the device powered off. I let it charge on the stand until it was at 100%. I pulled the battery and restarted the phone.

For the first 8 hours or so I did not install or configure anything. It was as vanilla as it gets. I immediately noticed that my orientation sensor was behaving much better. It still has a tendency to flip upside down but I can easily get it to flip back and stay there. I also had absolutely no reboots in that time.

After 8 hours or so I started installing core apps such as Astro, Terminal Emulator, Clockwork GUI, QuickMark, etc. I also started updating specific configuration settings in ADW. Stability remained solid and my battery seems to be holding a charge longer. I have to assume some of the improvement on the battery is from the phone having less actively running and thus drawing power.

After 12 hours I started installing supplemental apps. Winamp, Yahoo IM, themes, etc...

I am up to just over 18 hours now and I have yet to see a problem. I am continuing to slowly install apps. As I do however I am only doing it 1-2 at a time and keeping track of when they are installed. If I do start seeing problems again I'll know I was stable up until a specific app was installed.

I have not re-installed Advanced Task Killer. My concern is that it was running rough shot over the OS and as it was "doing its thing" it may have been doing more harm than good. I can manually manage my active apps and it is one less factor to have to consider if any of my problems resurface.

Edit: Prior to starting any of this the first thing I did was the "folded business card under the battery trick". It didn't help. I was still getting reboots just as frequently.

Edited by Geilt

Ok my streak started again a couple of nights ago woke me up lighting up the room during one of them, for the last 1 1/2 days all it's done roughly every hour or so is reboot, not downloaded an apps, the backplate is secure (never had any problems with the backplate anyway) and it's been secure in my otterbox case, some reboots were really wierd like halfway through browsing it would have a mini reboot where it went straight to the keylock page but the keylock was smaller, anyhow did a factory reset first thing this morning and nothing since seems to have fixed it, just wish i could pin down the actual cause,

Edited by m4tt24

Ok my streak started again a couple of nights ago woke me up lighting up the room during one of them, for the last 1 1/2 days all it's done roughly every hour or so is reboot, not downloaded an apps, the backplate is secure (never had any problems with the backplate anyway) and it's been secure in my otterbox case, some reboots were really wierd like halfway through browsing it would have a mini reboot where it went straight to the keylock page but the keylock was smaller, anyhow did a factory reset first thing this morning and nothing since seems to have fixed it, just wish i could pin down the actual cause,

If I had to guess I'd say there is something not going 100% according to plan during the upgrade process for some of us. No idea what it is and considering the number of variables at play we may never know for sure. By doing a factory reset we are wiping the device clean and thus also clearing out the affected settings. May be overkill and it does remove any traces we could use to troubleshoot the underlying issue but it works... at least for some of us.

Guest brokenpixel
If I had to guess I'd say there is something not going 100% according to plan during the upgrade process for some of us. No idea what it is and considering the number of variables at play we may never know for sure. By doing a factory reset we are wiping the device clean and thus also clearing out the affected settings. May be overkill and it does remove any traces we could use to troubleshoot the underlying issue but it works... at least for some of us.

factory reset if I stand correct it only wipes /data partition, in theory you should flash to restore it to it's original state, that being said, I developed this issue last week, to fix it I tried this:

Factory reset, rebooted into android, noticed that some tweaks I had done were not going back to stock rom.

Factory reset, again same problem

Flashed the ROM again, bricked.

Don't think that part matters, so this is what I think it worked and is what I did afterwards.

since it was bricked I loaded a nandroid backup I had.

now on ClockWorkMod I went to partitions and formatted the partitions data and cache

flash ROM (steve's 1.1.1)

restore backup made with Titanium.

applied my own tweaks

and I haven't had any shut downs so far.

in short. do a Titanium backup of your apps, backup any important info and if you have CWM just format cache and user data. You might have to re-install, if you don't make a backup.

Also I had a problem with Camera360 i had a working version then an update came, after the update the app didn't worked, I uninstalled and reinstalled the old one and the issue with the app was still there, after I formatted the data and cache one more time it sorted the FC on camera360 (now that I remember, I didn't loose my apps( but make a backup anyways).

Hope that helps for some if not most if not all B)

Hope that helps.

You're right. A factory reset only wipes data. Nothing more. Nothing less. I wasn't indicating that something in the build was to blame for the resets, just something in the resulting system after an upgrade. Clearly, in my situation, the issue was with settings carried over after an upgrade. By wiping the system to a default build and using that as a known quantity I was able to use it as a simple stating point. Thankfully I lucked out and it was app related.

In more extreme circumstances someone would be best served by re-applying the ROM to cover the possibility one of the files was corrupted or a service wasn't loading correctly. Shucks, even dropping back several revisions or dropping back to older/original firmware. After all, in the game we're playing a classic symptom of flakey systems come from less than fully compatible firmwares. Who knows what could be causing it.

Start with simple stuff. A factory reset is quick. Easy to make a first determination with. If that doesn't work get a bit more in-depth with your work. Help our devs out if you can nail down what seems to be the cause in your case. To Equarlana's point... there are enough of us out here now that the chances of being "the only one" seeing a problem are pretty slim.

Mine has been doing the same....after playing Angry Birds for a few minutes the capacitive buttons flash three times and I get a reboot - only mine hangs on the Dell logo. I have to pull the battery to get it going again....I've got the official 2.2 and a US AT&T Streak I bought from Dell....

Guest simpl3lang

....wow i thought it was only me. im on 1.4.5 now, but i been having spontaneous reboots since i think 1.4 or 1.4.1. just an hour ago i was talking to someone on the phone and i was like hello hello hello. checked the screen and i was in the dell logo. my phone rebooted. hope someone finds a cure.

Guest zrospeed
are you obverclocking by any chance or using 128mhz clock

hmm. i was. 128mhz and around 600mhz (cause i was having battery drain since 1.4.0.....on standby, its phenomenal, but when i start using it, mostly internet browsing, i get like 7-10% drain in 30mins).

anyways, im back on fresh 1.4.5 (i panicked and reinstalled it after factory resetting).

whats the best setting for setcpu or should i just not use it since im a bit of clueless at that department?

Due to my battery life issues, I had setCPU set to run 128 and 1036 and it was fine. I set up profiles to go 128 - <998 and everytime I had a call, the screen would sleep and stay asleep until the other person hung up. Obviously I disabled the profiles and it hasn't happened since.

HOWEVER, I've been having random reboots now since 1.4.5. No biggie, I just call it 'automatic maintenance mode'. :P

I'm gonna be trying the business card trick and start removing apps and see what happens. So far today it's rebooted twice.

are you obverclocking by any chance or using 128mhz clock

I am currently on the "official" Dell 2.2 but it has done this on the Stephen Hyde 2.2 as well.... where is the clock speed located so I can check it?

Guest Luxusxda

I had a lot of problems with spontanious shutdowns and just finding the Streak stuck on the Dell logo. I saw that the reboots could be induced by bumping the pohne lightly on the table. Found out it was caused by the battery - although it seemed secure when i inserted a thick piece of paper under and on the far side from the contacts the reboots stoped.