SF is it really that good?

Guest sedj

Guest prufrock
I realize the SGS has some perks but the whole android experience isn't worlds apart. On paper, its technologically superior, however, what I can do on the SGS I can pretty much do on the ZTE. The 720p recording on the SGS is also as laughable as the Camera on the ZTE. Although the resolution is there, the bit-rate is lacking, only really good for a Youtube candid video. 1GHZ vs 600MHZ I can sort of feel the difference, eg: the page load times and in some games. But again, they are not miles apart.

It also doesn't really have 8GB, Mine reads 5.7GB internal SD (where i put my music and videos), 1.2GB onboard (I donno how to access this yet). I still stand by my claim that the build quality of the SGS and the ZTE are the same. Pretty much the same plastic construction, even the silver bit surrounding the screen is not metal. The Gorilla Glass, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it works, as I've only been playing with this phone for a day.

And on the sturdiness thing, I think its subjective. The SGS is bigger and lighter and feels as plastic as the ZTE. Almost feels like a toy.

The ZTE is weightier, smaller and feels more robust in my hands.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. The fact that you say you can "sort of" feel the difference between the 1ghz processor and the 600mhz processor shows this very clearly.The overall capacity onboard is 8gbs (2gbs set aside for apps). As you've stated, you've had the phone a day. I doubt you've flashed it with a decent rom, applied a lag fix or any of the other mods you can do to the phone. The 720p recording is actually very good if you know how to use it - again, I suggest user error rather than technical error on your part. I doubt you've installed Youtube HD on the SGS, either.

Go away and get to know the phone before posting crap.

I see you failed to admit you were wrong about Froyo.

sf is really that good just got mine today i was amazed at the quality and specs of the handset for the money it feels better than some high end phones i have had recently well done orange for scooping this one up.

IF SGS and SF was the same price, I'd DEFINITELY go for the SGS - its a no brainer to me.

But they aren't the same price - and the price difference aint small either... That's why I got the SF, not SGS...

ya, I am cheap :P

Guest JolyonS
Why people just constantly compare a 400+ SGS with a sub 100 SF?

Because they are comparable, not equal but not different classes of device - that's what is impressing people about the SF.

There are many, many phones in between the two in price terms but far fewer separate them in terms of features and quality.

Guest tiggerlator

512mb ram in a £99 quid device is a revelation. The Blade is a badass phone for the price. I'm not even using apps2sd, dont need it yet, still got 90mb free storage and 205mb ram :P

I have had 3 phones this year, An iPhone 3G, HTC Desire and the blade, For me personally I would put them in this order

BLADE

IPHONE

DESIRE

Yes I prefer the blade out of all of them, I did like the 3G but I got bored with it, the Desire I just did not like at all, battery life was rubbish, FM radio was crap, and I just didn't like it.

The Blade now with the stock ROM it was rubbish, I stuck MoDaCo R3 on it and it really is excellent, it does have a few quirks like the upside down images but I can live with that, and for the price £99, battery life on my Blade also lasts alot longer than the Desire ever did, Now at 8PM I have 40% and thats if off the charger from 6am with 8hrs music,radio and a few twitter updates,

Guest magicpork
Just having dealings with chinese tat

lol..not a fanboy..but rather a racist... :P

blade is working great so far for me...build quality is superb.....it will still be a fantastic phone even with a doubled price tag.....

ppl are comparing this to desire or galaxy only because they're comparable! isn't this an amazing achievement for a phone at 99 quid? (or as low as 79 if you bother to do a bit research)

a huge round of applause to LTE..

Edited by magicpork

Guest dadashi

It is an amazing piece of engineering. Remove the back panel and the battery and you're left with a tiny slab under the camera where everything is built into.

The GPS has "amazing" reception. I never thought a mobile could have such good reception, better than some proper navigation devices. Finds position in seconds without A-GPS.

The processsor, RAM, GPU, the screen, even the camera is "useable". The films it takes are similar to hand held VHS cameras from the late 80s, early 90's. My old family films shot with a sony 8mm camera are much worse, and its pictures are much better than cartridge compact camers from the same period...

It's more than enough to take pictures in an emergancy, car accident or a casual snap shot...

Edited by dadashi

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about. The fact that you say you can "sort of" feel the difference between the 1ghz processor and the 600mhz processor shows this very clearly.The overall capacity onboard is 8gbs (2gbs set aside for apps). As you've stated, you've had the phone a day. I doubt you've flashed it with a decent rom, applied a lag fix or any of the other mods you can do to the phone. The 720p recording is actually very good if you know how to use it - again, I suggest user error rather than technical error on your part. I doubt you've installed Youtube HD on the SGS, either.

Go away and get to know the phone before posting crap.

I see you failed to admit you were wrong about Froyo.

Wow. Someone is really hostile and touchy touchy. Posting crap? I think you need to chill mate. I'm just giving my opinions on two phones. Like others have said, they are NOT worlds apart like you say. They are actually comparable phones. I am not saying they are equal either. Yes you can feel the speed difference, but worlds apart? No. If I wanted to to find some information on the Internet, I'd be able to do it comfortably on either phone, it wont make a difference. The 3G Speed would actually slow down the advantage the SGS has anyways. They are also both plastic fantastic. Theres no metal what so ever on both phones and the lightness of the SGS makes it feel like a toy.

I'm also not going to flash and mess around modding a phone thats not mine. But a stock ZTE and a stock Galaxy S, they are comparable phones and if i were to choose a phone to use for a week or a night out, it would not bother me which one TBH.

I'm a hobbyist photographer and I know how to use a camera. Maybe using DSLRs has desensitized me, and anything less then a DSLR just don't seem good. Don't get me wrong, the 720p recording of the Galaxy S is a nice feature, but have you tried to play it back on your TV? The bitrate is lacking.

Also please enlighten me on how to properly record video? You set resolution at 720p, you press record, you look at the screen and see what you are recording. User error?

I let a friend play with the ZTE and the SGS yesterday, and he is actually considering selling his Desire and getting the ZTE (hard times). Yes, there might be some things he would miss, but they are comparable phones and the overall experience of the Android OS doesn't change.

Plugging the phone into Samsung Kies and trying a Firmware Upgrade shows no update. So.... 2.2 is not available.

Why people just constantly compare a 400+ SGS with a sub 100 SF?

Because some people tried to claim there is little difference between the £400 SGS and the £100 SF. The SF is great for £100, but it doesn't even come close to comparing to one of the higher end android phones in more than a few areas.

Laag - 2.2 IS available for the SGS.

Guest clonmult
The processsor, RAM, GPU, the screen, even the camera is "useable". The films it takes are similar to hand held VHS cameras from the late 80s, early 90's. My old family films shot with a sony 8mm camera are much worse, and its pictures are much better than cartridge compact camers from the same period...

It's more than enough to take pictures in an emergancy, car accident or a casual snap shot...

I'm not so sure with the camera, unless mine is particularly bad - you have to keep the camera perfectly still for way too long, autofocus is incredibly slow. Video recording at CIF resolution is way behind the times, I was hoping for VGA. But then its cheap and offers plenty of other features, so can't really complain.

Guest igors_s

Got ZTE Blade today. Love it! yes it does have minor quirks here and there, but they're so minor. Overall the phone is fast and responsive. Would definatly recommend it any day.