Do you want a spare battery?

Guest jsplace

Guest NinjaChips
I expect there will be a demand for replacement batteries in a year or two.

I doubt that there's a mass market for a bulging case.

Maximising capacity within the standard case would likely be the best seller.

Hot-phone users burning through their battery inside a day, and not being prepared to recharge during the day, are a serious minority within the user population.

Given that the phone recharges over a fairly long time period while in use, has anyone given any thought to how they intend to charge their second battery? (Or do they intend to set an alarm for 3 am, and change the batteries over then?)

I would replace the existing battery with a higher capactity battery, but not bother trying to keep a spare somehow charged all the time.

Guest jsplace
What I do understand is that an "extended" battery would have its volume evenly spread on the back, not localized...Correct me if I misunderstood plz. :P

No, the extra volume would indeed be localised over the current battery compartment.

To spread it out over the back is not possible with the SF as this would interfere with the cell and bluetooth antennae and possibly the gps too.

Guest NinjaChips
OK, the final dimensions will obviously be decided by the design team but as a rough guide for dimensions with an extended battery...

50% extra capacity will give your phone a bulge over the battery area that will increase the thickness by approx 3.5mm

ergo.

75% increased capacity = + 4mm

100% increased capacity = + 6.5mm.

Rough figures people!

Given that 0.5mm is the difference between 50% at 3.5mm and 75% at 4mm, I'd have to say that 75% for 4mm seems like the most interesting option here. I'm sure I can make 4mm of room in my pocket!

Guest jsplace
Given that 0.5mm is the difference between 50% at 3.5mm and 75% at 4mm, I'd have to say that 75% for 4mm seems like the most interesting option here. I'm sure I can make 4mm of room in my pocket!

Sorry, typo.

Well spotted!

Corrected now.

Guest flatnote31
No, the extra volume would indeed be localised over the current battery compartment.

To spread it out over the back is not possible with the SF as this would interfere with the cell and bluetooth antennae and possibly the gps too.

From a design and feasbility point of view...that might be fine.... but from an aesthetic point of view...ummmmmmmm :P not sure

This is why Engineers should/can not socialize with normal people... one sides wants it solved, the other wants it pretty

Guest jsplace

Haha, yeah I know what you mean :P

The other issue with batteries that cover the entire back of the device is that it increases the SAR of the phone, in fact it reflects a lot of the radiation that normally escapes into the air straight back into your head. There ARE a few devices with different antenna layouts that use this type of extended battery but each manufacturer then has to have the battery SAR rated with the device its designed to be used with.

Guest flatnote31
Haha, yeah I know what you mean :P

The other issue with batteries that cover the entire back of the device is that it increases the SAR of the phone, in fact it reflects a lot of the radiation that normally escapes into the air straight back into your head. There ARE a few devices with different antenna layouts that use this type of extended battery but each manufacturer then has to have the battery SAR rated with the device its designed to be used with.

aaaaaand.....HSE strikes again to ruin the whole thing :P

my life is much easier...as I don't have to answer to fashion-seekers... performance, suitability and structural integrity is what matters....in accordance with HSE of course :D

One more thing, and I'm not trying to be @ |\| @ L, is there a chance to see sketches/3d-model of a prototype so we're not buying fish in water? and actually that'd be for your own benefit, instead of getting a couple o'thousands then see people criticising!

it's mobi-world :D must cater to the people's taste

Guest NinjaChips
Sorry, typo.

Well spotted!

Corrected now.

:P

In that case i'd most likely be interested in 50% extra (2000-2200mAh) for 3.5mm. Although being able to see some kind of mock up would be ideal!

Guest jsplace
One more thing, and I'm not trying to be @ |\| @ L, is there a chance to see sketches/3d-model

Absolutely, if the numbers indicate its a go next Thursday I will be in touch with my contact to give him the go ahead to quote. As part of that process there will be drawings supplied to me and I will post here when I get them. Tho I will possibly alter the scale/remove info so the drawings cannot just be copied :D

Once a contract has been agreed they will be building a soft foam prototype for my approval which I shall photograph, although if you have ever seen these foam mockups they don't look that great! And later down the line a production material prototype will again be supplied for my approval.

At the end of the day, if I go ahead with this I want to sell as many as possible and that means keeping people happy and I have no problem in showing people what they will be getting, as long as its not going to hurt my chances of selling them.

Lets face it, this is not a simple, nor cheap thing to set up. If I get it wrong, or people don't want the things because they aren't what they expect then I could stand to lose a substantial amount of money.

Anyway, the most important thing for me this week coming is to judge the demand, I have feelers out in other places too and have already had feedback from several high street stores and phone shops. I should have a fair idea of whether there will be enough demand to make this feasible next week.

If the numbers aren;t there then it wont happen, simple. If they are, then great :P

Guest dadashi

I'd be willing to use sticky tape to close the back if it was 7mm thicker!!

I can't believe ZTE had special batteries made for the blade. I'm sure they are of standard voltage and size made to fit in the case. For a budget phone they would generaly use whats cheapest to aquire and manufacture.

What I'm getting at is which batteries similar in size and voltage are there? Is there a mobile battery comparisson website with pictures and details?

Or the battery manufacturers websites with picturs of their products?

Guest oh!dougal
It's a phone not a fashion contest. The bigger the battery the better :P

If the phone has a bulging back, its going to cause problems with cases and car phone holders.

And what's it going to be like when you set the phone down on its bulgy back? It won't even lie on the desk as flat as it does today.

I really think these things matter even to people who say they are quite desperate for more runtime.

Guest jsplace

AFAIK the battery is unique to the Blade. Sure, the voltage is the same as most other handset batteries, but thats what you get with Lithium batteries. They are 3.7v per cell. Its the layout that differentiates as well as the internal protection circuitry, Charge/discharge ratings measured in C etc.

The company I am dealing with has a catalogue of over 3000 different batteries and makes aftermarket batteries for ALL popular phones, PDAs, PMPs etc and they could not supply a direct replacement.

If you can find a straight replacement then please let me know!

Guest flatnote31
It's a phone not a fashion contest. The bigger the battery the better :P

by "fashion", I meant aesthetics...

it can't be UGLY, or disproportionate...

even if you're a total dev-head .....still gonna be interested to see something NICE!

Guest flatnote31
AFAIK the battery is unique to the Blade. Sure, the voltage is the same as most other handset batteries, but thats what you get with Lithium batteries. They are 3.7v per cell. Its the layout that differentiates as well as the internal protection circuitry, Charge/discharge ratings measured in C etc.

The company I am dealing with has a catalogue of over 3000 different batteries and makes aftermarket batteries for ALL popular phones, PDAs, PMPs etc and they could not supply a direct replacement.

If you can find a straight replacement then please let me know!

if it'll come with the custom back.... any chance of making it smooth? (i.e. gradually sloped with no sharp corners or "bulges" ) or sweep it...

not b****ing, just brain-storming :P

Guest milkykung

Hi :P

Thank you for setting up this poll. I have been searching for SF battery from eBay and there is no luck :D

For my ownself, I'd prefer having slightly higher capacity but it has to be unobtrusive to the untrained eyes :P

I love to have my SF to be slim and yet powerful :D 1500mAH would be great and being on par with the outstanding Nokia E-71 BP-4L battery.

Cheers,

Guest flatnote31
Hi :P

Thank you for setting up this poll. I have been searching for SF battery from eBay and there is no luck :D

For my ownself, I'd prefer having slightly higher capacity but it has to be unobtrusive to the untrained eyes :lol:

I love to have my SF to be slim and yet powerful :D 1500mAH would be great and being on par with the outstanding Nokia E-71 BP-4L battery.

Cheers,

A fellow E71'er :P

the E71's battery was awesome to be honest.. it was 1400mAh but handled the power quite well...

I could drain it in 1 day burning WiFi :D

nonetheless....it's a great phone...Even after migrating to the SF...I still don't wanna give the E71 up!

From all reviews if you'd check....hardly any other phone has got all that praise, except for the e51 :lol:

I wonder if the E7 will keep up, although it's already disappointing with 8MP and small sensor (compared to the N8)

anyhow, sorry for drifting :lol:

back to the battery

JSPLACE

if 50% gets 3.5mm, 75% gets 5 and 100% gets 6.5....Would it be correct to extrapolate and assume that 25~30% would be around 2mm? That can almost fit in the original cover, right?

OR

if we get only a 2mm extension in depth extend a portion of the battery upwards...to make up for the additional 1.5mm, yet not getting in the way of any of the antennas....

Does that look feasible?

I know nothing about battery design, I'm talking from a sheer geometric point of view!

AGAIN...Brain Storming :lol:

Guest hankmoody

Hi.

I definitely think battery should last much longer.

I am a newbie in this kind of stuff, but, searching on the eBay I just found this 2800 mAh sciphone battery...

2800 mAh!!! I know most of these batteries are really awful finally, but wouldn't be worthwhile to try something like this? It may last than the original one. (which is made in China too :P ).

I repeat, I don't know much about batteries.

First of all, does it fit? (I haven't got my SF yet). This particular sciphone battery is 46 mm x 47 mm. If it does, or even if it's smaller, there shouldn't be any problem with fixating it somehow.

Secondly. Connections with phone pins should have to be done somehow (don't know exactly :D )

And the last thing... Is there any risk of burning the phone or something like that? The specifications on both batteries are the same (voltage 3.7v, charge up 4.2v, standard 18287-2000)...

So, what do you think about all this stuff?

Guest dadashi

well done, this is what I was looking for. A similar Li-ion battery of higher capacity with roughly the same dimensions.

Only the contacts are out of place. But there are possibilities...

The voltage specifications are the same so there shouldn't be any problems with usage and charging, though it will take an hour or more extra time to charge...or it might even charge quicker and be more compatible with the SF...

Edited by dadashi

Guest flatnote31
well done, this is what I was looking for. A similar Li-ion battery of higher capacity with roughly the same dimensions.

Only the contacts are out of place. But there are possibilities...

The voltage specifications are the same so there shouldn't be any problems with usage and charging, though it will take an hour or more extra time to charge...or it might even charge quicker and be more compatible with the SF...

needs beta testing before widespreading....

someone should check for the power characteristics and compatibility ....

batteries are usually the dodgiest thing in a device...

PLUS..just coz it says 2800mAh, doesn't mean it really is.....

if you check on DealExtreme and FocalPrice for batteries and stuff...most of them are reviewed to have advertised incorrect capacity....

Guest hankmoody
needs beta testing before widespreading....

someone should check for the power characteristics and compatibility ....

batteries are usually the dodgiest thing in a device...

PLUS..just coz it says 2800mAh, doesn't mean it really is.....

if you check on DealExtreme and FocalPrice for batteries and stuff...most of them are reviewed to have advertised incorrect capacity....

You are right. Chinese batteries are usually crappy. For example, this one may last less than the SF original one, even if it's 2800 mAh.

But, I think is a nice possibility, after checking their characteristics and compatibility to adapt it for the SF and see if it's better than the original one.

Original batteries like Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung ones with similar characteristics and dimensions could also be worth. They are not very expensive on eBay.

Guest milkykung
If the phone has a bulging back, its going to cause problems with cases and car phone holders.

And what's it going to be like when you set the phone down on its bulgy back? It won't even lie on the desk as flat as it does today.

I really think these things matter even to people who say they are quite desperate for more runtime.

I totally agree with you. It is not only a cosmetic aspect of what is bulging but it is to deal with usability :P

even if you're a total dev-head .....still gonna be interested to see something NICE!

This is really true :D BTW, just to correct you slightly, flatnote31, Nokia BP-4L for the Nokia E71 has 1500mAH :D No offence :P

Cheers,

Guest milkykung

I totally agree with you. It is not only a cosmetic aspect of what is bulging but it is to deal with usability :P

This is really true :D BTW, just to correct you slightly, flatnote31, Nokia BP-4L for the Nokia E71 is of 1500mAH capacity :D No offence :P

Cheers,

Edited by milkykung

Guest flatnote31

This is really true :D BTW, just to correct you slightly, flatnote31, Nokia BP-4L for the Nokia E71 has 1500mAH :D No offence :P

Cheers,

none taken :D alzheimer's is doing a nice job already