Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest womble_sanfran

I posted earlier in this thread that I had issues when I deleted sim toolkit. I downloaded a stock rom and found the apk file in the zip file. I hope that helps.

Guest SqueakyG

Hi, I'm a total newb to Android, and I think I will just about be able to manage this process. I would not dare try anything more advanced like installing custom ROMs, because that is too scary for me! I think you guys perhaps don't realise how intimidating all the ROM flashing stuff is for newbies. While lurking here I've seen beginners get sent to hardcore ROM flashing threads when they only asked the simplest questions about rooting. Sorry ;) This forum has a learning curve, that's all!

Anyway. Using Universal Androot seems just about manageable for someone who doesn't know much about this stuff. I'd like to remove some of the Orange bloat when I buy a San Francisco, in the hope that I'll free up some storage, memory and battery life. This process seems doable.

I just have a couple of questions:

- Has anyone isolated the specific Orange programs that cause most of the CPU hogging and battery time? Instead of removing all the Orange stuff, can we be more precise? Which Orange processes cause it to say Android used 96% of the battery?

- Is it recommended to do this only after unlocking the phone and using another SIM, or can Orange still be happily used as your network after removing all the Orange stuff?

- If you remove Homescreen Selector 1.0, how can you then change homescreens/launchers if you still have multiple launchers?

- What is the precise thing to choose in Titanium Backup when getting rid of the Orange programs - is it "force uninstall" or "delete" or something else? I see that "force uninstall" has caused some people to get scary boot screens.

- Not a single person in this thread has described what Busy Box does. Just for my own curiosity: what is it, and why is it an essential part of the process? I find that guides work best when you explain the purpose of each step.

Thanks.

Guest xeyaztian
Hi, I'm a total newb to Android, and I think I will just about be able to manage this process. I would not dare try anything more advanced like installing custom ROMs, because that is too scary for me! I think you guys perhaps don't realise how intimidating all the ROM flashing stuff is for newbies. While lurking here I've seen beginners get sent to hardcore ROM flashing threads when they only asked the simplest questions about rooting. Sorry ;) This forum has a learning curve, that's all!

Anyway. Using Universal Androot seems just about manageable for someone who doesn't know much about this stuff. I'd like to remove some of the Orange bloat when I buy a San Francisco, in the hope that I'll free up some storage, memory and battery life. This process seems doable.

I just have a couple of questions:

- Has anyone isolated the specific Orange programs that cause most of the CPU hogging and battery time? Instead of removing all the Orange stuff, can we be more precise? Which Orange processes cause it to say Android used 96% of the battery?

- Is it recommended to do this only after unlocking the phone and using another SIM, or can Orange still be happily used as your network after removing all the Orange stuff?

- If you remove Homescreen Selector 1.0, how can you then change homescreens/launchers if you still have multiple launchers?

- What is the precise thing to choose in Titanium Backup when getting rid of the Orange programs - is it "force uninstall" or "delete" or something else? I see that "force uninstall" has caused some people to get scary boot screens.

- Not a single person in this thread has described what Busy Box does. Just for my own curiosity: what is it, and why is it an essential part of the process? I find that guides work best when you explain the purpose of each step.

Thanks.

Dont know which apps take more memory, if you dont use an app youre best getting rid of it, wether a built in app or downloaded one! Id GUESS Orange Maps would take the most!

Afterr emoving Orange Apps, Orange and all networks are fine, I know this as I am on Orange.

I only use the Android Theme and didnt like the Orange one, however if you want the Orange one, dont get rid of Homescreen Selector.

I have never used Titanium Backup, id guess force uninstall.

BusyBox I dont know how to describe it so.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BusyBox

Guest chris1401
This IS a simple guide, (Ive also added links to google docs to download, Universal Androot and BusyBox and to AppBrain to the apps on the link near the bottom!)

So I couldn't flash my Orange San Francisco, and the reason why I wanted to is to remove the Orange Apps and the game demo's. So I came about a way without having to do anything with ROMs. Will cost you 63p though as I bought an app to do something...

Get Universal Androot (I got it from here.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598)

I got the latest one and it worked, then click root in that app. And wait till its rooted and it will install Super User Permissions.

Then download and install Busy Box from the market. You do not need to open it!

Then get SystemApp Remover by Danesh from the market (This cost 63p, theres prob a free one but I choose this and it worked)

Then go to SystemApp Remover and delete the Orange Apps(List below) they uninstall and it saves memory on the phone!

Root phone with Universal Androot, then delete with SystemApp Remover.

Done!

I recommend this to anyone who doesnt understand ROMs, flashing and those kind of things and anyone who wants to de-brand it from Orange.

I've put it up on my blog as well with links to files and the applications, please visit...

http://dailyandroidapps.blogspot.com/2010/...-installed.html

YOU CAN GET RID OF....

-Orange Homescreen

-Orange Homescreen Selector

-Orange App Shop

-Orange Photos

-Orange Wednesdays

-Orange Maps

-Orange Headlines

-Orange Email

-Orange TV

-Orange Backup

-Your Orange hello my orange is an orange san francisco and i dont qhite understand where to istall universal androot when you say "get universal androot" is that from the internet or do you install it from the android market? i am quite new to this and i also fid this forum quite difficult to use , iam not quite sure where to post replies or if anyone can actually read them. i have poted a couple now and no one seems to be talking to me . hope to hear from anyone soon ...chris

-Touch Pal and the Spanish and French packs

-Sim Toolkit (no one is this thread has complained of problems removing it! And its had a lot of replies!!)

-DocsToGo Demo

-Weather

-The game demos, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and Guitar Hero.

YOU CANT GET RID OF...

-Internet (Even if it does have the Orange logo!)

UPDATE, many people prefer to use Titanium Backup, from what I've read you can follow this guide, but instead of using SystemApp Remover you use Titanium Backup to remove the apps. People don't seem to be having a problems with either SystemApp Remover or Titanium Backup so use ethier one! ;)

UPDATE, People have been seeing more battery time after doing this as well! Looking through posts it is a good guide, and I have helped people when the need it, as have many other great people! Thankyou!

Guest chris1401
Alright, I have downloaded all the programs needed:

*Universal Androot

*BusyBox

*System AppRemover

Now the hardest bit, to actually do it.

UPDATE: Rooted it and deleted the Demos and Orange Wednesdays.

Should I reboot or unroot my phone after this?

hi can some one tell me if this is where i post replies this is such a confusing forum ..... i think you need a degree just to figure how to navigate it never mind roms and rooting and such like its all a bit too full on for me just a simple question and answer interface would be quite sufficient ...

Guest chris1401
This IS a simple guide, (Ive also added links to google docs to download, Universal Androot and BusyBox and to AppBrain to the apps on the link near the bottom!)

So I couldn't flash my Orange San Francisco, and the reason why I wanted to is to remove the Orange Apps and the game demo's. So I came about a way without having to do anything with ROMs. Will cost you 63p though as I bought an app to do something...

Get Universal Androot (I got it from here.. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=747598)

I got the latest one and it worked, then click root in that app. And wait till its rooted and it will install Super User Permissions.

Then get SystemApp Remover by Danesh from the market (This cost 63p, theres prob a free one but I choose this and it worked)

Then go to SystemApp Remover and delete the Orange Apps(List below) they uninstall and it saves memory on the phone!

Done!

I recommend this to anyone who doesnt understand ROMs, flashing and those kind of things and anyone who wants to de-brand it from Orange.

I've put it up on my blog as well with links to files and the applications, please visit...

YOU CAN GET RID OF....

-Orange Homescreen

-Orange App Shop

-Orange Photos

-Orange Wednesdays

-Orange Maps

-Orange Headlines

-Orange Email

-Orange TV

-Orange Backup

-Your Orange hello my orange is an orange san francisco and i dont qhite understand where to istall universal androot when you say "get universal androot" is that from the internet or do you install it from the android market? i am quite new to this and i also fid this forum quite difficult to use , iam not quite sure where to post replies or if anyone can actually read them. i have poted a couple now and no one seems to be talking to me . hope to hear from anyone soon ...chris

-Sim Toolkit (no one is this thread has complained of problems removing it! And its had a lot of replies!!)

-DocsToGo Demo

-Weather

YOU CANT GET RID OF...

UPDATE, many people prefer to use Titanium Backup, from what I've read you can follow this guide, but instead of using SystemApp Remover you use Titanium Backup to remove the apps. People don't seem to be having a problems with either SystemApp Remover or Titanium Backup so use ethier one! ;)

UPDATE, People have been seeing more battery time after doing this as well! Looking through posts it is a good guide, and I have helped people when the need it, as have many other great people! Thankyou!

not so simple i am trying this method and came to the first stumbling block which is where to install universal androot to. do you dowload it from the internet to your laptop or install it as an app from the market on your phone ... i hope someone can help me as iam feeling a little thick when it comes to all this

Guest chris1401

Done!

YOU CAN GET RID OF....

-Orange Homescreen

-Orange App Shop

-Orange Photos

-Orange Wednesdays

-Orange Maps

-Orange Headlines

-Orange Email

-Orange TV

-Orange Backup

-Your Orange

-DocsToGo Demo

-Weather

YOU CANT GET RID OF...

hi can anyone please answer where to install universal androot to and where do you get it from .. all i want to do is get rid of all the orange stuff on my phone and hopefully make it a littlle better performance wise.. this seems a very complicated way, is there nothing simpler why cant you just delete the apps off your phone . can we all try to bear in mind that some people are not as savvy as others when it comes to technical things and if this is indeed an open forum available to individuals from all walks of life wether they are builders, accountants, restruanters, chambermaids or dustbin men we should all do our bit to rid the world of jargon talk which only succeeds in excluding most members of society to certain proccesses which shouldnt be so hard to understand.. hope this helps thats all ..chris

Guest IronDoc

http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw...p;q=install+apk

First result gives you a couple of methods.

Just open astro (or whatever file manager is default) and press on the file you've downloaded from the xda link in the OP. It should prompt an install.

Read these if your struggling

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-questions-faq/

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-for-new-users/

PS: Some grammar and capitalisation improves readability (and hence your chance of an answer) a lot.

Oh and the normal reply button is at the bottom of a thread.

universal androot , run this to do the rooting so you can run the other two programs

Then install and run busybox ( without this you cant run titanium) it tells you when it ran ok

then run titanium to back up and deleate stuff

Then run androot again to unroot the phone

my san francisco wont run universal androot, any idea why?

I did the titanium backup thing and it worked great. Only problem is I removed some stuff but not everything I wanted to; did want to break it right away. Anyway when I try again; androot says I have root but titanium backup says I don't have root. I have tried the "problem" button and it downloaded busybox again but no good

Anyone have any ideas? There is some more stuff I would like to remove

Thanks in advance

I posted earlier in this thread that I had issues when I deleted sim toolkit. I downloaded a stock rom and found the apk file in the zip file. I hope that helps.

Were your issues resolved reinstalling? I'm still to do it

Guest xeyaztian

HELLO!!! I remain its a a simple guide! I wrote it as I was new to Android and I cant do ROMs and flashing. (Chris this is a basic forum structure, and pretty much everything to do it is in first post, with EVERYTHING else covered in the rest of the thread)

ANYWAY!!!....

UNIVERSAL ANDROOT!!

OK you can get it from XDA Developers from the link OR my blog site which is linked in first post.......

You download it, transfer it to the phone, then open it with ASTRO FILE MANAGER.....

Laura and Chris try this and let me know if it works!

http://db.tt/zc1rTsG

This should be the standard 2.1 Email apk

adb remount

adb push Email.apk /system/app/

adb reboot

Thanks for the download link. I wanted to replace the awful orange email client with stock android 2.1 and this seems ideal. Just a quick question - where did you get the source file from? Was it extracted from an image or taken off another phone? I looked at the SDK but looked like a lot of effort to build an image to get the email.apk....

As a general question - should I be wary of installing anything like this (are there any security concerns)?

Thanks,

Ali

Guest xeyaztian

Hey, so first things first...

how come you need this guide if youre on 2,2 ROM? dont the people who do ROMs take off the crap for you already hmmmm??? It may be because youre on 2.2, im nto sure, im on 2.1. And happy on it really. Obv the only thing I want that I dont is app 2 sd!

Also I got the original apk from the stock orange ROM for the zte blade.

Ermmm im nto sure about dangerous, sort of depends wheres it from, like i aint a spammer so i wudnt give u dodgy stuff, but i suppose if someone with like one post offered apks then it cud be dodgy. But my links to software aint dodgy, so no danger with me. But yeah be careful where you get ur apks from.

Sorry bad spelling and grammer, im busy but wanted to reply back ;)

Guest targetbsp

The rom developers do remove the orange crap... and then put a lot of crap on they like or other users request. :) Everyone has their own idea of what software is useful. ;)

Edited by targetbsp

Hey, so first things first...

how come you need this guide if youre on 2,2 ROM? dont the people who do ROMs take off the crap for you already hmmmm??? It may be because youre on 2.2, im nto sure, im on 2.1. And happy on it really. Obv the only thing I want that I dont is app 2 sd!

Also I got the original apk from the stock orange ROM for the zte blade.

Ermmm im nto sure about dangerous, sort of depends wheres it from, like i aint a spammer so i wudnt give u dodgy stuff, but i suppose if someone with like one post offered apks then it cud be dodgy. But my links to software aint dodgy, so no danger with me. But yeah be careful where you get ur apks from.

Sorry bad spelling and grammer, im busy but wanted to reply back ;)

Hi, Thanks for quick reply. I haven't rooted the phone yet as it's only a few days old so am using Android 2.1. Since rooting invalidates the warranty I wanted to make sure everything was working properly before rooting hence why I wanted the Vanilla android 2.1 mail app. Spent ages googling for it and eventually came accross the link Acathla posted. Did you also put up a 2.1 email.apk - sorry must have missed that!

Thanks,

Ali

Hi i had Orange Homescreen and Homescreen Selector, i've deleted both with Titanium but am thinking i shouldn't have deleted Homescreen Selector, how do i get it back?

Guest womble_sanfran
Hi i had Orange Homescreen and Homescreen Selector, i've deleted both with Titanium but am thinking i shouldn't have deleted Homescreen Selector, how do i get it back?

Dont bother, go to the market and get Home Switcher which does the same thing but probably better.

HELLO!!! I remain its a a simple guide! I wrote it as I was new to Android and I cant do ROMs and flashing. (Chris this is a basic forum structure, and pretty much everything to do it is in first post, with EVERYTHING else covered in the rest of the thread)

ANYWAY!!!....

UNIVERSAL ANDROOT!!

OK you can get it from XDA Developers from the link OR my blog site which is linked in first post.......

You download it, transfer it to the phone, then open it with ASTRO FILE MANAGER.....

Laura and Chris try this and let me know if it works!

Hi xeyaztian,

Managed to open androot and follow the steps to remove all the orange apps however a lot of the file names I didn't understand so didn't delete a whole lot just in case I deleted something vital to the phone working properly. I haven't found that the battery life has improved since removing the orange apps and wondered if there was anything else I could do? I barely get 10 hours out of the battery once fully charged I am using the internet for facebook access and to check email but wouldn't say it was exsessive use.

Thanks again for the guide on removing the orange apps, any further info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Laura ;)

Hi xeyaztian,

Managed to open androot and follow the steps to remove all the orange apps however a lot of the file names I didn't understand so didn't delete a whole lot just in case I deleted something vital to the phone working properly. I haven't found that the battery life has improved since removing the orange apps and wondered if there was anything else I could do? I barely get 10 hours out of the battery once fully charged I am using the internet for facebook access and to check email but wouldn't say it was exsessive use.

Thanks again for the guide on removing the orange apps, any further info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Laura ;)

Agreed - snap

Guest xeyaztian
Agreed - snap

Unfortunetly, thats the battery life of the phone with normal use I think.

Mine ran slower with all the Orange apps on, I noticed improved speed, though i didnt notice improved battery, others have though, who have looked in system to see whats using the battery.

But yeah I ahve to charge mine every day and a half.

All I can recommened for battery life is...

Brightness down (this defently saves lots of battery)

Wifi off if you don't use it!

And full charges when you do charge as lots of half charges throughout the day will wear battery down.

Also theres a list of file names and what each is on this thread, so take a look for that and you can feel safer removing apps.

Guest ThatGuyJim

Thanks to xeyazetian for this very excellent guide, which I have followed.

I am not the only one. The UK magazine 'Micro Mart' (issue 1140, 13-19 Jan 2011,

and in the shops as I type) has a feature entitled:

"A Fully Featured Android Phone For Under £100!"

It is, of course, the San Francisco phone. And it tells you how to re-ROM it.

The information is based on, as the writer states.....................this forum.

I can't actually see the article on the Micro Mart website:

http://www.micromart.co.uk/

But that may be because it is in the current issue.

Well done xeyazetian.