Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest ThatGuyJim
Thanks to xeyazetian for this very excellent guide, which I have followed.

I am not the only one. The UK magazine 'Micro Mart' (issue 1140, 13-19 Jan 2011,

and in the shops as I type) has a feature entitled:

"A Fully Featured Android Phone For Under £100!"

It is, of course, the San Francisco phone. And it tells you how to re-ROM it.

The information is based on, as the writer states.....................this forum.

I can't actually see the article on the Micro Mart website:

http://www.micromart.co.uk/

But that may be because it is in the current issue.

Well done xeyazetian.

Sorry.

Well done xeyazetian. Well done Steven Harper. Well done forum.

Guest chris1401
HELLO!!! I remain its a a simple guide! I wrote it as I was new to Android and I cant do ROMs and flashing. (Chris this is a basic forum structure, and pretty much everything to do it is in first post, with EVERYTHING else covered in the rest of the thread)

ANYWAY!!!....

UNIVERSAL ANDROOT!!

OK you can get it from XDA Developers from the link OR my blog site which is linked in first post.......

You download it, transfer it to the phone, then open it with ASTRO FILE MANAGER.....

Laura and Chris try this and let me know if it works!

Hello again .thanks for your reply. it seems i cant download universal androot from xda developers so i tried from another site. I dont quite know where the programme is on my computer but the screen turned into a window with 6 items in it listing in order, assets , META INF, res, AndroidManifest, classes.dex,and last of all resources.arsc. Iam not sure if one of these files is the one i should be extracting, could you let me know which one if any it is or where i may be going wrong. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience in this matter, not many people i think would take the time not only to research and develop an idea but to also answer questions from numptys like me who are dipping their virginal toes into the waters of the android.. and for that i think we are all gratefull . Manythanks Chris

Guest banjomild

Hi all, would be really grateful for some help please, I have installed universal androot and then busybox followed by titanium backup. It seems when I root I drop the wifi signal and can't get it back. Also busybox says there is an error and I have to click on force close, so I tried to install through titanium but that fails as well

Guest ThatGuyJim
Hello again .thanks for your reply. it seems i cant download universal androot from xda developers so i tried from another site. I dont quite know where the programme is on my computer but the screen turned into a window with 6 items in it listing in order, assets , META INF, res, AndroidManifest, classes.dex,and last of all resources.arsc. Iam not sure if one of these files is the one i should be extracting, could you let me know which one if any it is or where i may be going wrong. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your patience in this matter, not many people i think would take the time not only to research and develop an idea but to also answer questions from numptys like me who are dipping their virginal toes into the waters of the android.. and for that i think we are all gratefull . Manythanks Chris

Chris,

When I unzipped the UniversalAndroot.zip file on my laptop,

I got just one file:

UniversalAndroot.apk

Try following dizzytiz on Post 176, page 9.

This downloads the UniversalAndroot.zip from addictivetips.

I downloaded onto my laptop, unzipped, got the one file, copied to the root folder of the phone, etc.

As other people have said, you may have to click on UniversalAndroot more than once - i.e after downloading Titanium Backup.

post-817615-1295697452_thumb.jpg

Guest ThatGuyJim

The cheapest UK Pay-As-You-Go deal around?

I started this as a new topic, which I don't know if it was the correct thing to do.

But, seeing how people with a San Francisco are probably looking for the cheapest deals around, this may interest everyone on this topic:

Yesterday, I was talking with the ASDA Mobile help desk.

I've been using their PAYG tariff for the last couple of years.

The helper said: "We're the cheapest PAYG tariff around."

You may not have heard of it, as ASDA Mobile piggybacks onto the Vodafone network, and there must be some deal whereby ASDA cannot advertise because of this. But you can pick up a SIM at the supermarket checkout or in the electrical section.

It's 8p / min for calls, 4p for texts.

I have just unlocked my San Francisco and put my ASDA mobile SIM in it.

Guest xeyaztian

Just get the Universal Androot from the first post, both the links in the first post work.

When you download it move the single file to the phones SD Card. Universal Androot is not a computer program, its only for the phone. (If you knew that sorry I misunderstood)

When its on youre phone just look at it using Filer or ASTRO File Manager and install it!

P.s. ASDA are cheap for calls and texts and Tesco is.

Guest chris1401
Just get the Universal Androot from the first post, both the links in the first post work.

When you download it move the single file to the phones SD Card. Universal Androot is not a computer program, its only for the phone. (If you knew that sorry I misunderstood)

When its on youre phone just look at it using Filer or ASTRO File Manager and install it!

P.s. ASDA are cheap for calls and texts and Tesco is.

Thanks again for your reply , this proccess just seems to be getting more and more complicated i realy only wanted to remove the orange apps thats all and now iam downloading computer programmes (or not) from various unknown websites . I think i may have to learn to live with the orange apps which, by now, i have become strangely attached to. Still very frustrating all the same . Thanks Chris

Guest xeyaztian
Thanks again for your reply , this proccess just seems to be getting more and more complicated i realy only wanted to remove the orange apps thats all and now iam downloading computer programmes (or not) from various unknown websites . I think i may have to learn to live with the orange apps which, by now, i have become strangely attached to. Still very frustrating all the same . Thanks Chris

Heres the link to Universal Androot - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...Quv4N&pli=1

BusyBox - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...uthkey=CJut2acH

And get SystemApp Remover (recommended) or Titanium from the Android Market!

These are the files you need if you need them... there all from myown google docs account, so can be trusted.

Install Androot, install busybox, dont open busybox, open universal androot, press to root ur phone, then without restarting the phone, use one the removers to delete the system apps! simples..

Guest banjomild

Sorry to be a pain again, I'm still having problems.

I've installed everything correctly I think, but for some reason I can't get it to work.

When I root it says you are rooted yet when I open systemapp remover it tells me I don't have root access.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong?

I also find that after i've rooted i don't have the superpermissioms ( guess that might be a sign ), but also

my wifi signal drops and I am unable to turn it on

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I had similar problems but with titanium backup. I have just sorted the problem and this is what I did:

Download and install androot

Download and install superuser from the market

Download and install titanium backup from the market

Run androot and press go root

Run superuser; this said a new versoin of superuser was available and need to be installed; I did this

Run titanium backup; pressed the Problem button so it could download busybox

Everrything worked well for me

From what I understand the loss of WiFi when rooted is expected

Chris.

Sorry to be a pain again, I'm still having problems.

I've installed everything correctly I think, but for some reason I can't get it to work.

When I root it says you are rooted yet when I open systemapp remover it tells me I don't have root access.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong?

I also find that after i've rooted i don't have the superpermissioms ( guess that might be a sign ), but also

my wifi signal drops and I am unable to turn it on

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Reading1800

Just followed this and all works fine apart from:

can anyone tell me how to get rid of the orange logo that appears when booting straight after the andriod robot? Thought I'd deleted everything orange but this remains.

In terms of memory, have I loaed it wrong somehow? Internal has only 40mb fress whereas only 200mb of sd card used?

At some stage will then be able to switch across to 2.2 when it settles down but this has done most of the prep work

Guest womble_sanfran
In terms of memory, have I loaed it wrong somehow? Internal has only 40mb fress whereas only 200mb of sd card used?

Bear in mind that the instructions in the 1st post of this thread delete apps from /system/app, when you go to Settings/SD card, USB Mass Storage & phone storage and look at Internal Phone Storage this tells you the amount of space available on /data/app, these are 2 separate places (think of /data as one 'disk' and /system as another)!

When I first followed this guide I expected to make more space so I could install more apps from the market, I now understand that it wont do that. What following this process does is get rid of the rubbish from your phone that you never use but that sits in the background taking CPU and hence battery. Maybe the first post should be edited to make this clearer?

Guest joobuzz

Chris.

I have tried this method of removing orange apps but what put me off was the lost of wifi. And I only used the soft root option which didn't successfully root my San Francisco. Could you tell me how to get the wifi back on without having to turn the phone off and on again? I can't find any other threads that say that rooting a San Francisco phone will produce loss of wifi?

I'd love to do this just don't want to loss wifi permanently or brick my phone.

Thanks.

Guest joobuzz
Thanks Chris,

Turned out that androot was the problem itself, dowlnloaded from a different link and all was well

Cheers for the reply

Hi,

Does that mean you did not get wifi issues the second time?

Thanks.

can anyone tell me how to get rid of the orange logo that appears when booting straight after the andriod robot? Thought I'd deleted everything orange but this remains.

Not sure you can just delete it; you might be able to replace it though. Have a look at a post on page 5 of this same thread by IPB_Refugee dated Nov 7 2010

There is also Bootscreens download

Guest banjomild
Hi,

Does that mean you did not get wifi issues the second time?

Thanks.

Hi downloaded from link i found at xda blade forum something like tinyurl.com/urooted

Installed this with astro and it gave me a different looking screen asking me if i wanted to root

Just said yes and all was fine wifi still on and i had access with systemapp remover.

Hope this helps.

Guest gardenoftrees
I have tried this method of removing orange apps but what put me off was the lost of wifi. And I only used the soft root option which didn't successfully root my San Francisco. Could you tell me how to get the wifi back on without having to turn the phone off and on again? I can't find any other threads that say that rooting a San Francisco phone will produce loss of wifi?

I'd love to do this just don't want to loss wifi permanently or brick my phone.

Thanks.

I tried the soft root option and lost wifi but then tried the other root option and didn't lose wifi.

Unfortunately Titanium backup didn't work for me. I ended up with the screen with the upside down writing which someone took a pic of earlier. No amount of fiddling with settings and trying different downloads of the various apps worked for me. I resorted to installing Super Manager from the Android Market and this worked fine with no problems. It obviouly still requires the phone to be rooted and Busy Box installer but is another free option if Titanium doesn't work.

Guest joobuzz
I tried the soft root option and lost wifi but then tried the other root option and didn't lose wifi.

Unfortunately Titanium backup didn't work for me. I ended up with the screen with the upside down writing which someone took a pic of earlier. No amount of fiddling with settings and trying different downloads of the various apps worked for me. I resorted to installing Super Manager from the Android Market and this worked fine with no problems. It obviouly still requires the phone to be rooted and Busy Box installer but is another free option if Titanium doesn't work.

Thanks, I'll try that and see.

I had similar problems but with titanium backup. I have just sorted the problem and this is what I did:

Download and install androot

Download and install superuser from the market

Download and install titanium backup from the market

Run androot and press go root

Run superuser; this said a new versoin of superuser was available and need to be installed; I did this

Run titanium backup; pressed the Problem button so it could download busybox

Everrything worked well for me

Chris.

This worked perfectly for me! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Streeper

Hi, I'm new here ;)

I've just followed the guide in the 1st post and it all worked brilliantly but I deleted TouchPal by accident and I was wondering if there was any way to reinstall such apps?

Thanks

Guest Phoenix Silver
Hi, I'm new here ;)

I've just followed the guide in the 1st post and it all worked brilliantly but I deleted TouchPal by accident and I was wondering if there was any way to reinstall such apps?

Thanks

grab it from the rom (extract the zip)

copy it in your sd card and install it from here

or copy the apk directly in /system/app (with astro explorer or with adb)

Guest kerryokeefe

Another newbie. Have all files on my phone. located the Universal Androot file, open app manager and then was asked if i want to install? Believe I have to do something to access super user? Help please - like others bit scared of screwin up phone. o do I have ti install Universal androot. Thanks

Guest kerryokeefe

Think I have done some of it??? Used titanium, didnt find all the files listed, but did finf some. Thanks to all for help. Still slightly concerned though

Guest Streeper
grab it from the rom (extract the zip)

copy it in your sd card and install it from here

or copy the apk directly in /system/app (with astro explorer or with adb)

Thanks, I have it back now :P