Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Guest scoobydoo10uk2000

i rooted ma phone and installed titanium but i can install busy box.tried from app market and from titanium but nada.please help.im new to this so all the help i can get would be apreciated.

Guest friederike
i rooted ma phone and installed titanium but i can install busy box.tried from app market and from titanium but nada.please help.im new to this so all the help i can get would be apreciated.

you don't need to install busy box, just download it. see first page of this guide!

edit: or do you mean you can't download it?

Edited by friederike

Guest xeyaztian

I have added uploaded the files needed onto my Google Docs, somewher eint his thread theyre are links.

Also on the link to my blog thing it also has links to my Google Docs to donwload them.

You can find Busybox and Androot in this thread and on site.

Here they are again..

BusyBox - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...cH&hl=en_GB

Universal Androot - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...4N&hl=en_GB

:P

Other files I have just in case..

New Market - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...uthkey=CLbQ_KoB

Settings - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...Mz&hl=en_GB

Sim Tool Kit - https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxUIJd1x-S...uthkey=CNGln6UP

With lots of help from Xeyaztian I learned how to download to my phone. I've now got the files and apps downloaded but I can't find the Orange files I need to remove.

When I click on Titanium Backup everything opens and shows I have the permissions but all I can find is Backup/Restore. Any help please?

Hi,

being a novice I have not changed the stock ROM but I have followed this guide using Titanium Backup and removed all recommended Orange stuff as listed and eveything seemed ok.

It appears that I deleted the wrong map apk, instead of the orange one I deleted the Google one. (A Force Close window kept appearing)

I downloaded and installed the google maps apk and google Maps and Tracks now work ok.

But I cannot access the Google GPS (Blue arrow icon). An error message "Could not launch the requested activity" comes up on screen.

Can anyone advise where I have gone wrong and how do I rectify this ?

thanks

Guest xeyaztian
Hi,

being a novice I have not changed the stock ROM but I have followed this guide using Titanium Backup and removed all recommended Orange stuff as listed and eveything seemed ok.

It appears that I deleted the wrong map apk, instead of the orange one I deleted the Google one. (A Force Close window kept appearing)

I downloaded and installed the google maps apk and google Maps and Tracks now work ok.

But I cannot access the Google GPS (Blue arrow icon). An error message "Could not launch the requested activity" comes up on screen.

Can anyone advise where I have gone wrong and how do I rectify this ?

thanks

MAYBE, now you have maps reinstalled, go check the Android Market to make sure youve updated it again....

MAYBE, now you have maps reinstalled, go check the Android Market to make sure youve updated it again....

Thanks for that. I did what you suggested and eveything now ok.

Cheers

Guest Mark_in_Macc
Hello I THINK it may, now however, If you restored the apps and rooted the phone again, Orange would be none the wiser! And if you're phone wont start to no fault of you're own they wouldn't be able to check...

However to answer you're question, I think rooting you're phone MAY invalidate the warranty, but this is a lot safer way to do it than doing the ROM thing, which defenetly breaks warranty!

Thanks for the guide, brilliantly simple. Just noticed however that there is a small problem at the bottom corner of my screen and I may need to take it back under warranty. I used Androot, BusyBox then Titanium. How easy is it to restore the apps if I need to return it to the shop? Will Titanium have uninstalled or deleted the apps? If deleted, is there anything I can do?

Thanks again.

Guest xeyaztian
Thanks for the guide, brilliantly simple. Just noticed however that there is a small problem at the bottom corner of my screen and I may need to take it back under warranty. I used Androot, BusyBox then Titanium. How easy is it to restore the apps if I need to return it to the shop? Will Titanium have uninstalled or deleted the apps? If deleted, is there anything I can do?

Thanks again.

If there is a problem with your screen, don't worry about the phones apps, just take it back ASAP in time of warranty and they'll replace it I'm pretty sure. TBH theyll prob send u the same phone back but with a new screen.

Guest targetbsp

It's actually a launcher that is the default app. The home switchers just change the default launcher - they themselves don't need any defaulting. In fact, you don't really need a home switcher at all. Whenever you add or remove a launcher from the phone, the next time you press home android asks you which launcher to use. The only real use for a switcher is if you want to change between more than one that you use regularly.

Guest Mikeandme

I have tried to follow the instructions in the first post with my Orange SanFrancisco but something appears to have gone wrong with Titanium Backup. It is possible that this may have been covered somewhere else in these 17 pages but I cannot find it immediately and am hoping the the knowledgeable may be able to help.

All appeared well and I was happily un-installing apps when Titanium Backup crashed (I cannot remember exactly what it said). Since then I cannot get it going again. Superuser says it has root access. I think I have the latest Busybox downloaded. I have done this twice and tried the update from within Titanium Backup.

I am pleased to have got rid of a lot of junk but to my surprise my home screen setup has gone and assume I should not have un-installed the Orange Homescreen or Homescreen selector so I would like to restore them. However as I cannot get Titanium Backup to work I am a bit .......

I have tried switching off and on and also removing the battery but to no avail.

Grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I have now done more research and managed to get Titanium Backup working I have aksi discovered (as many other have, that you cannot restore the Orange applications ... a bit pointless really!). What is also noticeable is that when Superuser said that Titanium backup did not have superuser rights it worked fine and when Superuser said it did have superuser rights it did not work but not always that way around! All a bit of a mess and it has convinced me that going through this somewhat risky and fraught procedure (for some) is hardly worth the benefit of removing a few unimportant applications. I was not risk averse but maybe now...Oh and I now have the Superuser icon left but apparently no such application.... :-(

Edited by Mikeandme

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FishyFishArcade

Hi,

I've followed the instructions and have removed the unwanted stuff, but wanted to know if I should Unroot the phone again afterwards?

I'm new to this and want to make sure that leaving it rooted won't cause me any problems (either as part of my Orange contract, or in terms of me accidentally damaging the phone in some way - I don't want to accidentally remove something vital by accident).

Thanks. :(

Guest infinityzero

I did a factory data reset after all this. it got rid of those files in manage applications that have like 0.00 and whatever

Guest helpmegod

uhhhhh i must have deleted something orange that is bad because now when i phone starts my Crazy home app force closes on a roll and i cant do anything i dont know what to do somebody please help me is there some kind of reset possible without accesing the menu

Guest xeyaztian
uhhhhh i must have deleted something orange that is bad because now when i phone starts my Crazy home app force closes on a roll and i cant do anything i dont know what to do somebody please help me is there some kind of reset possible without accesing the menu

Try unistalling the Crazy Home app?

Long press on the home screen.

Select Shortcuts

Select Settings

Select Manage Applications

Then click this short cut and uninstall Crazy Home.

Guest xeyaztian
Hi,

I've followed the instructions and have removed the unwanted stuff, but wanted to know if I should Unroot the phone again afterwards?

I'm new to this and want to make sure that leaving it rooted won't cause me any problems (either as part of my Orange contract, or in terms of me accidentally damaging the phone in some way - I don't want to accidentally remove something vital by accident).

Thanks. :(

When a phone is damaged and is sent for repair, They wipe the phone so it does not matter what settings you have on the phone.

Also id unroot once you've finished doing everything you want with it rooted.

Guest xeyaztian

Hello.

So i've made the guide simpler, with links to the downloads, BusyBox and Universal Androot are from my Google Docs.

Its not different just simpler.

Let me know if you run into any problems with new guide or how youd improve it....

P.s. I also learnt that I was using youre when I shouldnt, so in this thread if you see me say youre I mean your. So woo!

Guest helpmegod

i dont even get a chance to get to the home screen. the moment i slide the unlcok bar it break either way its to late i got into a rage which i am ashamed of and threw it at a wall so game over i need a new phone :( thx anywayz

Guest xeyaztian
i dont even get a chance to get to the home screen. the moment i slide the unlcok bar it break either way its to late i got into a rage which i am ashamed of and threw it at a wall so game over i need a new phone :( thx anywayz

Depending when you got it, take it back to Orange and say you took it out your pocket and it was broken?

Guest helpmegod
Depending when you got it, take it back to Orange and say you took it out your pocket and it was broken?

i would of but its had passed 3 months and it only had 3 months guarantee. any chance i can get it sold as spare parts lol these envirophone place is offering me 7 quid for a bag of bits lol i think id rather just bin it for that sake

Guest xeyaztian
i would of but its had passed 3 months and it only had 3 months guarantee. any chance i can get it sold as spare parts lol these envirophone place is offering me 7 quid for a bag of bits lol i think id rather just bin it for that sake

I think youll get £7 on ebay just for the back case if it aint damaged...