Remove Orange Apps on San Francisco, Simple Beginners Guide!

Guest xeyaztian

Ahhh, i always said i'd never root as it's too risky for a total noob like me but i am tempted after reading this thread.

Android uses 99% of battery usually so if i could remove some stuff and get the battery lasting longer then that's a good thing.

I went off to AppBrain to look at Titanium backup and clicked one of the links about the app, took me here which tbh has scared me again and makes me not want to do it. If i could pay someone to do it i would! lol.

Basically i wondered if there was any instructions from the beginning of the whole process for an idiot?! :)

So would i install this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/titanium-backu....TitaniumBackup

and this?: http://www.appbrain.com/app/busybox/stericson.busybox (not understanding the need for that one though?)

And then i backup everything using Titanium? And then can i delete the stuff using this same app?

So how do i root, or does Titanium do that? I search appbrain for "universal root" and "android root" as mentioned in this thread but no results?

And then i can unroot and everything is back to normal minus Orange crap?

Thanks for your patience i have read the topic honest i am just a divvy with stuff like this :)

Edited to add: when Titanium backs up, where does it backup to?

Edited by Pia23

Guest booster22
Ahhh, i always said i'd never root as it's too risky for a total noob like me but i am tempted after reading this thread.

Android uses 99% of battery usually so if i could remove some stuff and get the battery lasting longer then that's a good thing.

I went off to AppBrain to look at Titanium backup and clicked one of the links about the app, took me here which tbh has scared me again and makes me not want to do it. If i could pay someone to do it i would! lol.

Basically i wondered if there was any instructions from the beginning of the whole process for an idiot?! :)

So would i install this: http://www.appbrain.com/app/titanium-backu....TitaniumBackup

and this?: http://www.appbrain.com/app/busybox/stericson.busybox (not understanding the need for that one though?)

And then i backup everything using Titanium? And then can i delete the stuff using this same app?

So how do i root, or does Titanium do that? I search appbrain for "universal root" and "android root" as mentioned in this thread but no results?

And then i can unroot and everything is back to normal minus Orange crap?

Thanks for your patience i have read the topic honest i am just a divvy with stuff like this :)

universal androot , run this to do the rooting so you can run the other two programs

Then install and run busybox ( without this you cant run titanium) it tells you when it ran ok

then run titanium to back up and deleate stuff

Then run androot again to unroot the phone

Edited by booster22

universal androot , run this to do the rooting so you can run the other two programs

Then install and run busybox ( without this you cant run titanium) it tells you when it ran ok

then run titanium to back up and deleate stuff

Then run androot again to unroot the phone

Ahh thank you :) I won't lose anything will i?

And while i'm here, i wondered how do i set the phone to install apps straight onto the memory card? It seems to be saving everything to phone memory and i have a full card left despite installing lots of apps

Guest booster22

in case anyone is interested, i deleated

alarm 1.3.1

analog clocks 2.0.69

digital clock 1.0.71

and all still works well with using other android clocks and alarms

The only reason why i wanted them gone cos these kept starting when i turned on the phone

So three less to worry about,

Like any other app dont deleate if you use them

Guest booster22

And while i'm here, i wondered how do i set the phone to install apps straight onto the memory card? It seems to be saving everything to phone memory and i have a full card left despite installing lots of apps

dont know about the memory card question.

But you will only lose what you deleate, it asks you to confirm it, so just take your time and stick to the list on earlier posts

Dont deleate anything you dont know about

Ughhh i knew this was a bad idea i'm having problems already.

Installed Universal Androot, and rooted. It said i was already rooted but i haven't touched it so i just said root me again. It said "woot you are rooted"

Installed BusyBox and it said "BusyBox has stopped expectedly - Force Close"

So shut everything else down and tried again and it said the same... I went back to Androot and tried to undo and it said Failed...

wtf? :)

No, you wont loose anything unless you specifically delete it. I'm new to this and decided to root and uninstall most of the orange apps, still have a couple more to get rid of.

There is an app called 'App 2 SD' which allows some apps to be moved to the SD card. From what I've read it not all apps can be moved over so you may have to try and see what happens. Having read this thread, you might have to format the SD card into two partitions (could be wrong but this might be one partition for the apps, and the other for your normal data - images, audio, etc)

I believe there is native support in Android 2.2 to save apps to the SD card, so will be interesting to see how this develops.

Hi guys,

I must have done a istake, I uninstalled all the apps that seemed to me orange stuff. I now have a problem, my display doesn't tilt anymore when I turn the phone horizontal and the gallery works bad (can't display some previews, doesn't til images etc). Does anyone have an idea of what I must have deleted and what can I do to fix my mistake?

thank you all in advance

Guest booster22
Installed BusyBox and it said "BusyBox has stopped expectedly - Force Close"

wtf? :)

dont panic, nothings harmed

Try updating busybox in the market, mine updated automaticaly, then worked fine but the first time it had an error

What version is it?

Edited by booster22

Hi guys,

I must have done a istake, I uninstalled all the apps that seemed to me orange stuff. I now have a problem, my display doesn't tilt anymore when I turn the phone horizontal and the gallery works bad (can't display some previews, doesn't til images etc). Does anyone have an idea of what I must have deleted and what can I do to fix my mistake?

thank you all in advance

I don't know what was that, it probably had nothing to do with anything I deleted because everything seems back to normal. Fiuu... I need to change my underpants.

dont panic, nothings harmed

Try updating busybox in the market, mine updated automaticaly, then worked fine but the first time it had an error

What version is it?

It's version 1.17.1 i can't see an option to update but i've ticked the auto update button. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still same error :)

What does BusyBox do then? Is there an alternative? :)

Guest booster22
It's version 1.17.1 i can't see an option to update but i've ticked the auto update button. Uninstalled and reinstalled and still same error :)

What does BusyBox do then? Is there an alternative? :)

try turning off the phone and try running busybox again, if that doesnt work just wait a while for the other guys to come online,.

i sometimes find that works when a app doesnt work

and check you have superuser permission after you rooted

Edited by booster22

try turning off the phone and try running busybox again, if that doesnt work just wait a while for the other guys to come online,.

i sometimes find that works when a app doesnt work

and check you have superuser permission after you rooted

Thanks i have uninstalled it for now as my phone is soooooooo slow, bit of a coincidence if it's nothing to do with the rooting? It's painfully unresponsive now. Should have left it alone :) I've only done what i said though so not sure why?

Guest xeyaztian

To answer all questions and replies I'm just going to do them in this one post...

Booster - Thankyou very much glad to hear its heloed! And about the alarms, I'm not sure, I deleted the Analogue one as I cant tell time that way very quickly and I haven't noticed any changes, I prefer the original Android clock app on my old HTC Tattoo running 1.6 but I've not found away to get that instead... But I see you removed them and its not done any damage so I will too thankyou!

I removed the SimToolkit, as its quite useless, as its the part of the phone that offers you texts from orange like horoscopes and sport news, but apps do this much better and for free.

OrangeSetupWizard... now I have deleted this and I'm not too sure what it does, but it hasn't caused any problems by removing it, but I wouldn't if I were you cos who knows what its for...

Pia23 - The instructions on the first post are quite clear, I don't know anything about Titanium Backup so cant help if that's used. BusyBox does not need to be opened, just on the phone whilst your deleting things.

Doing anything on those apps should not effect the Memory Card as these apps deal with the phones storage.

About the slowness of the phone, if you've followed the steps I said in order, then once you've removed all the apps you used to remove the Orange apps then it should work fine again.

Hows things going now??

Also I'm not moaning just tired and need to go to bed! :)

Guest mecha_matt

Hi Pia

I had the same problem as you, and was bricking it! I just did a factory reset and started again, and the second time it worked fine.

Hope this helps

Matt

Thanks yeah it is clear on the first post i am just a tech-dingbat and wanted to be sure i felt confident! Also i didn't realise BusyBox didn't need opening, although it only gave me the installer and not the app before closing down on me.

Matt thanks for posting i feel better now lol!

I will try again and report back - thanks for all the help so far :)

edit: Also to say i don't think i acknowledged Face's post last night - thanks for the SD card info

Edited by Pia23

Woohoo i did it :)

I backed up everything with an Android logo beside it and didn't touch the apps i got from the Market, and uninstalled most of the Orange stuff. I left "Homescreen Selector" alone though, as i wasn't sure, even though i'm using Launcherpro

I have unrooted now so i'm assuming that's everything?

Thanks so much for the help

Guest booster22
Woohoo i did it :)

I backed up everything with an Android logo beside it and didn't touch the apps i got from the Market, and uninstalled most of the Orange stuff. I left "Homescreen Selector" alone though, as i wasn't sure, even though i'm using Launcherpro

I have unrooted now so i'm assuming that's everything?

Thanks so much for the help

Glad it all worked out, did you have to run busy box or just leave it ?

the homescreen selector is just that screen that appears when you start up your phone offering you the diferent launchers,

After i deleate it you still get the starndard android screen with a list of launchers, but once you pick a default launcher, startup is quicker.

since ive done mine a lot less things are starting up in the background, and this has got to help the battery

Glad it all worked out, did you have to run busy box or just leave it ?

the homescreen selector is just that screen that appears when you start up your phone offering you the diferent launchers,

After i deleate it you still get the starndard android screen with a list of launchers, but once you pick a default launcher, startup is quicker.

since ive done mine a lot less things are starting up in the background, and this has got to help the battery

I managed to install Busy Box but i didn't do anything with it once it was there, although Titanium offered a download so maybe should have just done that last night! Think i'll just leave the homescreen thing alone.

My battery widget still says Android 96% but tbh i don't really understand it, it was 99% before. Atm it's Android System 96, Cell Standby 2% and WiFi 2%

Guest xeyaztian
I managed to install Busy Box but i didn't do anything with it once it was there, although Titanium offered a download so maybe should have just done that last night! Think i'll just leave the homescreen thing alone.

My battery widget still says Android 96% but tbh i don't really understand it, it was 99% before. Atm it's Android System 96, Cell Standby 2% and WiFi 2%

Glad its worked finally for you! The HomeScreen can go aswell as its a rubbish program to be honest, a cheap knock off the Android theme by Orange! But up to you of course! :)

Guest Sebastian404
OrangeSetupWizard... now I have deleted this and I'm not too sure what it does, but it hasn't caused any problems by removing it, but I wouldn't if I were you cos who knows what its for...

It's the app that 'guides' you through the 4 step process of setting up your phone the VERY first time you use it (or if you do a factory restore)

All at 0B but any one know of a way to get rid?

Yep.. there's a file that requires editing, here's what I posted a while ago

here is the final solution for the answer to life the universe, house keeping and everything

/data/system/packages.xml

It can also be used to find the correct file name of the application to be deleted (as I seem to remember 1 or 2 not being obvious)]

A reboot is required to reload the edited xml

Edited by DaveyP

Guest xeyaztian

Looks like every things going well here then, Ive added a few more things that can be deleted to the first page, thanks people for the help to add things to it!